• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

asianaussie

Smash Hero
jeez you might as well bring up "well the SHORYUKEN is done by KEN AND RYU, whereas Luigi's is done by LUIGI" if you're going to nitpick like that.

also i pronounce "pwned" like "owned" but with a p in front. so powned basically
gouken was the first to have a shoryuken finisher

ken's shoryuken is supposed to be in honour of gouken

i pronounce pwned the same way

Peek~

Smash Lord
>saying pwned/owned past the age of 13

SERIOUSLY GUYS?!

On Topic: I dont know uhhhhhh should I even bother doing the 5th jump with Jiggly when recovering?

The Star King

Smash Hero
In my defense, I only started saying it to mock MATTS!, and it became a habit.

Puff's 5th jump has saved me before, but yeah, it's the tiniest thing ever.

Rubbish

Smash Journeyman
yeah, it owns me when they use it for that half second of air stall

then their d-air hits and link is sad
What are you approaching with so that the small air stall actually effects you?

Not trying to be offensive, I just can't visualize the scenario. (None of my friends play jiggs)

How is teching different from brawl and melee?

In brawl you have a distance window to consider. Or you can simply buffer a tech 10 frames before hitting a surface.

In Melee, you can tech up to like 20 frames before hitting a surface.

Rubbish

Smash Journeyman
How is teching different from brawl and melee?

In brawl you have a distance window to consider. Or you can simply buffer a tech 10 frames before hitting a surface.

In Melee, you can tech up to like 20 frames before hitting a surface.
Do you mean in comparison to smash 64?

If you did, it's easily spammable in smash64 because there's no penalty for doing so. The exact timing, I don't know

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Yeah, 20 frame window sounds about right

the timing seems like it shifts a bit back in Melee, you can press Z almost as you hit the ground in 64 and get the tech

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah, 20 frame window sounds about right

the timing seems like it shifts a bit back in Melee, you can press Z almost as you hit the ground in 64 and get the tech
I think it seems that way because apparently you have press L/R all the way, which takes longer to press than N64's Z/R.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Not sure if Star King is right, since I've played a bit melee on dolphin with other controllers. But again, I suck even more at melee than 64, so I don't know.

edit: question: what makes you fastfall in Yoshi's egg? I think even when I don't touch the joystick I sometimes fastfall.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Star King kinda defeats that idea (hate to inflate his ego even further but...)

I mean, yeah, people who've been playing competitively longer are better and also older. I don't think it's an age thing so much as an experience thing. When the game's been out for 50 years, then we'll see if age, and not experience, truly improves you.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I don't think age matters much. Except maybe it's better if you start earlier, because if you look at all the the best of the best Melee players they all started when they were like 15

Don't worry Battlecow, my ego is self-fueled so to speak. You can't either inflate or deflate it ^_^

kys

Smash Ace
I've noticed the younger players tend to get angry and upset when they're losing and they run in like a bull seeing red. The older players who are able to put an online video game into perspective better have cooler heads.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i've noticed the younger players tend to get angry and upset when they're losing and they run in like a bull seeing red. The older players who are able to put an online video game into perspective better have cooler heads.
^^ so much truth

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
We have a 15 year old in the form of JDASH who is very good so of course age does not matter.

James AKA Blaze turned 17 not too long ago as well.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I've noticed the younger players tend to get angry and upset when they're losing and they run in like a bull seeing red. The older players who are able to put an online video game into perspective better have cooler heads.
Lies

I never get mad when I lose

I am kind of aggro in friendlies most of the time, though, but that's just my style.

kys

Smash Ace
I'm not going to name names, but the "younger" players seem to be APPROXIMATELY 15-18 years old. OBVIOUSLY THIS IS NOT TRUE OF EVERYONE. Just a little general observation is all.

I remember about a year and a half ago back wotg was adamant on this "new and improved generation of smash" that was based on talent and not experience. Because things like talent are completely generational.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I think the idea that the new generation of smash is so much better is really over exaggerated lol.

And not that the new players are not good, just that most people seem to think this games on a whole new level that the "smash64 2006" community would have been blown away by.

I don't really think so.

Peek~

Smash Lord
And not that the new players are not good, just that most people seem to think this games on a whole new level that the "smash64 2006" community would have been blown away by.

I don't really think so.
Pivots changed everything

Battlecow

Play to Win
I can do pivots more or less perfectly now, I know most of the combo options they give me, and I'm 99.9% consistent.

But only when I'm pivoting to the left. I still can't pivot to the right at ALL. Literally spent two hours yesterday trying to get it to stop feeling awkward and it won't.

Top Bottom