• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread (Online Discussion Q&A, GO HERE BEFORE POSTING)

bassnashoe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5258-1265-5176
So I hear there's a way to hack and make it so you can take 2 players online With Anyone on the same Wii. Does anyone know how well that works, and what the chances of getting banned are? Also, does anyone have good brawl communities that they know of to look for brawls? You know, like allisbrawl.com and fsmash.org.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Fsmash.org is a nice place to look for brawls, it's very easy to talk to your opponent. AiB... be prepared for people to complain about lag if you win. I don't know about the hacking thing, sorry :O

Finny

Smash Apprentice
So I hear there's a way to hack and make it so you can take 2 players online With Anyone on the same Wii. Does anyone know how well that works, and what the chances of getting banned are?
That is a hack that I've used a few times before. As far as the chances of getting banned, I'm not sure. I know there are some people on SWF who have been banned for being on Homebrew while on wifi with anyone, but I always use HBC when I play online and I haven't been banned (yet). Do so at your own risk, I guess :/ As far as it working, it only works when you are host, and there are still some glitches with it. Whoever joins your room from the same Wii will be P2, and sometimes he will be unable to control his character for the first game. Other times an outside player will take the P2 spot and he will be forced to P4 where he will always be unable to control his character in that room. Sometimes the game will treat it like a friend match and let you "change" the rules (including stock-game, time limit, etc.) but it will still be a 2-min. FFA when the game starts, no matter what. Sometimes the game will give you the friend code of one of the people you are playing. You can even take 3 players on the same wii, for whatever reason, but not 4. Overall, there are many uses for this hack, including doing "skits" for random people on wifi with your friends, or going to corneria with 3 players on the same wii and have 2 of them go to the right side while you have a real 1v1 with the outside player on the left side. However, I can't confirm whether having 2 people on the same wii will increase the chances of your stage/item set being picked.

Hope I've helped! =)

EDIT: Also, there are separate codes for basic brawl and team battle, and you can only have one on at a time.

If you are interested, here's the BB code

4A000000 90180B44
38000000 00FF1000
10000000 0000000C

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Thank you, Finny for that nice response. As far as banned from Wifi goes... I heard you CAN but I've NEVER seen anybody post they've been banned.

Now I have a question. I am interested in a wired connection. How do I go about doing that? And buying the device for said thought? Also my Wii is about 15 feet away from my router... can it be done?

bassnashoe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5258-1265-5176
Thank you, Finny for that nice response. As far as banned from Wifi goes... I heard you CAN but I've NEVER seen anybody post they've been banned.

Now I have a question. I am interested in a wired connection. How do I go about doing that? And buying the device for said thought? Also my Wii is about 15 feet away from my router... can it be done?
You pretty much just buy a USB Ethernet Adapter for the Wii which is roughly $20, and a Ethernet wire of atleast 15-20ft. Connect the USB Ethernet Adapter to the USB port on the Wii. Then, connect the Ethernet Cord to the Ethernet port on the adapter and run that cord to your routher and connect that bad boy. Just go to your Wii menu internet connection settings and adjust it to receive from the wire now and then you are bank:cool:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Thanks man.
Also, the lag... is there any kind of improvement? I mean I know that some lag will be there and what not. I just want to know, if a person and I have a red connection, will it become orange? When playing with someone who I used to lag badly will it be bearable after the change? I'm assuming yes, to some degree. :ohwell:

*reads*
Lag Alleviation Thread

Also, I read on the nintendo websight that I need a Wii Lan Adapter??? ._.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Why is that thread still not stickied, lol. Wii Lan is your first step towards minimizing the lag experienced in your matches. I'm not too certain on the 15 foot extension, if they don't have it, you might need to buy an extended phone cord (I have on that's roughly 20-30 ft).

Wish I could give links, but my internet's trippy atm :/

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
what to do If I can't get online via my college's internet? I also bought the rocketfish lan adapter which failed >.>

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
what to do If I can't get online via my college's internet? I also bought the rocketfish lan adapter which failed >.>
It could just be a fault in your college's network provider. If I may ask, which provider are they currently using? What error code(s) are you getting when you attempt to connect to Wifi?

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
Basically it's because the lan adaptor I got had no M.A.C address of its own that I can't get on. It was error code 22215 if memory serves. I'm not sure about network provider but it has 802.1x in its name.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Basically it's because the lan adaptor I got had no M.A.C address of its own that I can't get on. It was error code 22215 if memory serves. I'm not sure about network provider but it has 802.1x in its name.
When you get the number, key it in here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/lookup.jsp
That's pretty much necessary for to understand your problem better, if not fully. This should provide a substantial answer.

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
I already did that before... it is just that the firewall in my college won't let me through. Also like The adaptor I bought didn't have a mac address for me to use for registration....

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I already did that before... it is just that the firewall in my college won't let me through. Also like The adaptor I bought didn't have a mac address for me to use for registration....
Yeah, you'd have to disable the firewall. I've never played on an LAN adapter, so I wouldn't know about that one. Try contacting the college's network supervisor, rather than the provider themselves.

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
I bought a new lan adapter and fixed it... don't ever buy from rocketfish guys they suck...

ammie

Smash Cadet
can I use the original colors of the characters I choose in team battle, in stead of being either red or blue?:(

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Um... isn't it obvious you can't? That's why you are a color codes for a team. How else can someone know you are on the blue team or red team, respectively?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
can I use the original colors of the characters I choose in team battle, in stead of being either red or blue?:(
I'm certain you can't, unfortunately. Unless you've got textures, modded with colors other than the primary team colors over your character (Which I find pretty bad, as it can be a mystery sometimes).

ammie

Smash Cadet
yea i figured...probably can't but i wish they will consider my suggestion though coz the red and blue are really unnecessary. They can name team A and B or 1 or 2 or even allow the players to create team names they like without changing the original colors of the characters. the original colors are much better than thoes red and blue. I mean, they look like they come out of a bath full of paints after they become red or blue.... which is not fun.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Yeah, like others said, you can't. Only red and blue (not even Green :p) And you don't pick what color you get to be as well, just so you know.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
yea i figured...probably can't but i wish they will consider my suggestion though coz the red and blue are really unnecessary. They can name team A and B or 1 or 2 or even allow the players to create team names they like without changing the original colors of the characters. the original colors are much better than thoes red and blue. I mean, they look like they come out of a bath full of paints after they become red or blue.... which is not fun.
Team names won't matter if you can't distinguish your partner from your opponent.

*implies if players from opposing sides pick the same character.*

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I'm considering buying a Wii/Brawl and getting started playing a bit more seriously (I've played casually with friends from time to time), but I've heard that the Online doesn't work too well and is laggy. Is this still true or was that just back when Brawl first came out? I don't really have a lot of IRL friends to play this game with, so if the Online is laggy and/or not stable, then I don't want to spend money on this. Whether or not the Online Play works well is a big factoring decision here for me.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
When i first played brawl online it wasn't too good. I think playing someone far away is the reason why it lags. Usually when i reset the Wii, i get better connection than before. Trust me this game is worth your money.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
When i first played brawl online it wasn't too good. I think playing someone far away is the reason why it lags. Usually when i reset the Wii, i get better connection than before. Trust me this game is worth your money.
Well the reason I ask is because my friend has a Gamecube and SSB:Melee that I can have for free, but I am interested in Brawl's online play. I'm just wondering if its actually something I can expect competitive play from (with the connection/delay and problems I've heard of). If mostly everyone just plays Brawl offline, I'll just take my friend's GCN and play Melee.

(this is not intended to initiate a bashing/flaming/debate between the two games, it's just that Melee is offered to me for free, and Brawl's online play is the main difference I am interested in between the two games).

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Hello, I'm considering buying a Wii/Brawl and getting started playing a bit more seriously (I've played casually with friends from time to time), but I've heard that the Online doesn't work too well and is laggy. Is this still true or was that just back when Brawl first came out? I don't really have a lot of IRL friends to play this game with, so if the Online is laggy and/or not stable, then I don't want to spend money on this. Whether or not the Online Play works well is a big factoring decision here for me.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Wifi is really good or really bad depending on your outlook of things. Sure it's laggy sometimes if the connection is not good, but if the connection is golden, it's very good match-up experience, and much better than playing with computers all the time. If you have some to play offline with, that's fine. If you desire playing against other individuals via Wifi connection, that's fine as well. I recommend testing Wifi yourself before you buy your Wii, that is, if your only purpose for buying the Wii is playing Wifi. If so, I'd say use a friend's Wii to test your Wifi and see if it suffices to your expectations (None/not many error code issues, lag is stable and suitable for play, etc.). If it does, you have your answer for whether you should buy or not. Wifi is normally fine, honestly, but this highly differentiates among connection plans and/or router choices. It also has to do with who you're playing against, so if something happens in your first match (i.e. massive lag spikes), don't take it as a directive to quit Wifi. Wifi is very good practice, especially if you don't have many people around you willing to play, nor the time, money, or transport to make it to offline Smash events.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I hope this helps.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
^ So I suppose it's fair to say Wifi will be frustrating at times, I'm okay with that. The main thing I'm worried about is whether it will actually change the Brawling experience (in matches with good or okay connections). Like... would competitive/technical aspects be lessened when playing wifi due to lag and inability to react quickly? I don't want to train myself to be a slow thinker/fighter XD

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Like... would competitive/technical aspects be lessened when playing wifi due to lag and inability to react quickly? I don't want to train myself to be a slow thinker/fighter XD
I originally thought this as well. Wifi should not make for a slower player. From an in-between perspective, if you will, I can honestly say Wifi has made me think much more about what I do, as well as bettering my reaction time tremendously. It's really hard to cope with at times, as lag can highly interfere, but it should not lessen any aspect of your play. It takes personal experience, but Wifi can make you faster, actually. Not as fast as you would be playing straight-offline, but you'll find that it's much easier to play sometimes when you're opponent isn't right next to you; if you're like me, it's a tad pressuring, and I can't keep my cool and make dumb moves. Online, I'm able to pay attention to what my opponent is doing more carefully and precise than offline.

tl;dr: Wifi should not be making you play slower, especially if your connection is prime choice with the people you're playing. The transition from online to offline in even timely intervals can seem really really drastic. Just get used to it, and you'll be able to tell the difference between the two when need be. I don't think I would have gotten anywhere in my competitive career without Wifi.

Feel free to ask anything else if you have more questions.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I really wanna meet a hacker online, badly. So my question is: What would be a good time to meet a hacker?
I've yet to encounter an online hacker in Basic Brawl, and I'm not one to do so myself. If I were to guess a time, I'd say around late night to the AM. From what I've heard, your chances are very high around those time intervals. I wish you luck, though. I heard people who've been "banned" from BB due to profuse hacking (or something "bad"), and to contribute, I have never seen one myself. However, I have my means of going about hacking, and I'd presume your best chances are around very late to very (very) early times in the day. It's when Basic Brawl is at its prime, credits to what I've seen.

Hope this helps, if not, I know lots of people who hack during Basic Brawl, and I could consider them a reference in reply.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
I originally thought this as well. Wifi should not make for a slower player. From an in-between perspective, if you will, I can honestly say Wifi has made me think much more about what I do, as well as bettering my reaction time tremendously. It's really hard to cope with at times, as lag can highly interfere, but it should not lessen any aspect of your play. It takes personal experience, but Wifi can make you faster, actually. Not as fast as you would be playing straight-offline, but you'll find that it's much easier to play sometimes when you're opponent isn't right next to you; if you're like me, it's a tad pressuring, and I can't keep my cool and make dumb moves. Online, I'm able to pay attention to what my opponent is doing more carefully and precise than offline.

tl;dr: Wifi should not be making you play slower, especially if your connection is prime choice with the people you're playing. The transition from online to offline in even timely intervals can seem really really drastic. Just get used to it, and you'll be able to tell the difference between the two when need be. I don't think I would have gotten anywhere in my competitive career without Wifi.

Feel free to ask anything else if you have more questions.
Thank you, that makes me feel better about getting this game =P

Top Bottom