• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As Smash Wii U Updates, So Does The Evo Ruleset

D

Deleted member 269706

Damnit Lucas, if only you were 18...then you'd be legal.

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
Hmph. Guess if we want to play as lucas at evo 2k15 we gotta play brawl or project m. -_-

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
You seriously don't understand. Flip jump can literally bury opponents now, as in the victim is put into the bury state of not being able to do anything until they mash out.
Lucas down throw doesn't bury. The opponent hit does the same animation as in Brawl, but with a dirt mound around them. Lucas literally cannot act until they pop out because it's all part of the same goddamn animation.

Literally the only new features we see from the trailer are his longer rope snake, larger psi magnet, and his n-air having a visually different ending animation to accompany the way the hitbox works.
Yeah, I went back to the footage and saw that myself.

Hey, I was wrong, I'm willing to admit it. No shame in that.

Remobit

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna win evo with my elbow and wii remote. Not even nunchucks.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Kinda sad that they're mostly unchanged, but I'll let it slide since custom moves exist. I'm eager to see what customs these guys will have.

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
I don't know if I get EVO's decision. No Lucas but there is going to be a balance patch that will be implemented into the tournament that could possible change the entire meta game and possibly change customs or rid them entirely. So if that's the case they mine as well add Lucas since everyone's customs and some mechanics may change as well. doesn't make much sense.

I also don't think they should have customs when a balanced patch is so close to the tournament. What if the balance patch changes customs? We wouldn't have enough time to prepare, plus I don't think Nintendo intended customs to be used competitively. Otherwise they would of been allowed in For Glory. Customs is a big mistake by the community.

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The balance patch comes out alongside Mewtwo which is why 1.0.6 is fair game for EVO. It's still a pretty brief window to scope out the game, but certainly more acceptable than if it were released with Lucas.

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
I'm really curious to see what buffs and nerfs this patch brings. Or it could just do almost nothing...you never know when the Saku-troll is involved.

I hope the balance patch rids customs once and for all.
That is ridiculously unlikely...why would the developers spend all that time making unique custom moves then decide to toss them in the trash because some people complained about them?

I don't know if I get EVO's decision. No Lucas but there is going to be a balance patch that will be implemented into the tournament that could possible change the entire meta game and possibly change customs or rid them entirely. So if that's the case they mine as well add Lucas since everyone's customs and some mechanics may change as well. doesn't make much sense.

I also don't think they should have customs when a balanced patch is so close to the tournament. What if the balance patch changes customs? We wouldn't have enough time to prepare, plus I don't think Nintendo intended customs to be used competitively. Otherwise they would of been allowed in For Glory. Customs is a big mistake by the community.
When the decision to allow customs was made, the balance patch hadn't been announced yet. Nobody knew about it until the Nintendo Direct only three days ago. They're not going to ban customs now, after so much work was done to decide what movesets to allow and so many players spent lots of time practicing with them. Also, the game isn't meant to be played competitively at all, as stated by Masahiro Sakurai himself. For Glory is definitely not "competitive" and not to be taken seriously, with the extreme slideshow lag and horrible players (somehow even worse than me.)

TL,DR don't complain about customs being allowed at EVO if you're not going to EVO. I doubt that you have very much experience in competitive smash, if any, and I harbor the suspicion that your opinions are regurgitated from the statements of other, similarly inexperienced players who have no idea what they're talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
That is ridiculously unlikely...why would the developers spend all that time making unique custom moves then decide to toss them in the trash because some people complained about them?
You must understand stand the sad truth, people don't like change, it can be videogames, technology, something else, but thank god there's people that keeps going on, like who likes custom moves

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
I have been asked on many occasions where i stand with customs in tournaments. First lets look at the good side of things. Customs allow more variability to the players(i am pretty sure badges that grant the player an item are banned?) and to the players that go against them. Badges like the smooth lander badge are freaking awesome because it, well smoothens your landing time(a.k.a. stops your airial attack if you land b4 its executed)w8 a min m80s, 1snt tht L-canceling? INDEED MY ENLISTS. Some badges like smooth lander are awesome to have.
But of course, the bad side. Customs can make your character too slow:sonic: , too fast, too defensive, too weak, too strong, etc etc etc. This is why I only made 1 custom fighter. It was just so i could complete a challenge. I then deleted that custom. :( However, my stand is that there should be no customs. Every character has some sort of advantage. In some cases, that advantage could also act as a disadvantage(i.e. very light or very heavy.) or you just have another disadvantage. For example Captain Falcon(is beatable folks. :grrr::eek::mad:) has special attacks that can be seen from a mile away(DIS) however you can use his speed and momentum to turn these into powerful combos(ADV). All in all, I just dont think they should be in the tournies. Some people could come into EVO2k15 with super-ultra-hyper-mega-giga-mecha-utimate-awesome-gods-of-smash custom that would be unbeatable. And then he wins. Again. And again. And again.....

BECOME A FALCON AND HELP DESTROY THE TIER LIST!!! :falcon64::falconmelee::falcon::4falcon::porttown:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I hae to agree, we need some Lucas exhibition. Besides, we only need to figure out the A moves, since we're already learing his B moves, thanks to Ness's customs.
Actually, Ness's customs are not Lucase's exact specials. They just change the animation a little and make it a variation of the defaults. As seen in the trailer, PK Freeze moves farther and lower than Ness's PK Freeze. Also, Ness's Lucas PK Thunder makes him go farther, and I'm pretty sure Lucas's doesn't go that far.

And if course, the damage percents will probably be different as well.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I still think it's a stupud idea to use the balance patch but not lucas, both drastically change the meta.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I have been asked on many occasions where i stand with customs in tournaments. First lets look at the good side of things. Customs allow more variability to the players(i am pretty sure badges that grant the player an item are banned?) and to the players that go against them. Badges like the smooth lander badge are freaking awesome because it, well smoothens your landing time(a.k.a. stops your airial attack if you land b4 its executed)w8 a min m80s, 1snt tht L-canceling? INDEED MY ENLISTS. Some badges like smooth lander are awesome to have.
But of course, the bad side. Customs can make your character too slow:sonic: , too fast, too defensive, too weak, too strong, etc etc etc. This is why I only made 1 custom fighter. It was just so i could complete a challenge. I then deleted that custom. :( However, my stand is that there should be no customs. Every character has some sort of advantage. In some cases, that advantage could also act as a disadvantage(i.e. very light or very heavy.) or you just have another disadvantage. For example Captain Falcon(is beatable folks. :grrr::eek::mad:) has special attacks that can be seen from a mile away(DIS) however you can use his speed and momentum to turn these into powerful combos(ADV). All in all, I just dont think they should be in the tournies. Some people could come into EVO2k15 with super-ultra-hyper-mega-giga-mecha-utimate-awesome-gods-of-smash custom that would be unbeatable. And then he wins. Again. And again. And again.....

BECOME A FALCON AND HELP DESTROY THE TIER LIST!!! :falcon64::falconmelee::falcon::4falcon::porttown:
Most people are referring specifically to custom moves in tournament play. It's generally agreed that custom equipment (which is what you're referring to) is a bit too insane.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
When they setup for smash at Evo, are they just simply sending each character's set customs for Evo from a 3DS or are they manually trying to unlock all customs within the game? I'm assuming it be much faster to unlock Mewtwo's customs from the 3DS is what I'm saying.

Last edited:

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
But of course, the bad side. Customs can make your character too slow:sonic: , too fast, too defensive, too weak, too strong, etc etc etc. This is why I only made 1 custom fighter. It was just so i could complete a challenge. I then deleted that custom. :( However, my stand is that there should be no customs. Every character has some sort of advantage. In some cases, that advantage could also act as a disadvantage(i.e. very light or very heavy.) or you just have another disadvantage. For example Captain Falcon(is beatable folks. :grrr::eek::mad:) has special attacks that can be seen from a mile away(DIS) however you can use his speed and momentum to turn these into powerful combos(ADV). All in all, I just dont think they should be in the tournies. Some people could come into EVO2k15 with super-ultra-hyper-mega-giga-mecha-utimate-awesome-gods-of-smash custom that would be unbeatable. And then he wins. Again. And again. And again....
I don't think equipment is allowed, only special moves. Some of the equipment is ridiculous, like the auto healer badge that allows you to camp for dayz while rcovering health.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

So why is Lucas banned, exactly?
Bascially, EVO thinks that by the time he is released, people will not have enough time to train against him, making the match-up potentially unfair. Also, with customs being allowed, someone could easily develop a new strategy and/or find an exploit and use it without anyone else having prior knowledge of how to counter it. They're basically afraid that Lucas players will have an advantage because of the (a) unknown MU involving Lucas, and (b) potential exploits that may or may not be found.

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
I don't think equipment is allowed, only special moves. Some of the equipment is ridiculous, like the auto healer badge that allows you to camp for dayz while rcovering health.
Most people are referring specifically to custom moves in tournament play. It's generally agreed that custom equipment (which is what you're referring to) is a bit too insane.
oh. I feel dumb. Nobody play as ike with that accursed custom recovery. -_-

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Lucas should be legal, people won't play him if they don't know the matchups anyways. If people want to play Lucas it should be their choice.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Bascially, EVO thinks that by the time he is released, people will not have enough time to train against him, making the match-up potentially unfair. Also, with customs being allowed, someone could easily develop a new strategy and/or find an exploit and use it without anyone else having prior knowledge of how to counter it. They're basically afraid that Lucas players will have an advantage because of the (a) unknown MU involving Lucas, and (b) potential exploits that may or may not be found.
Oh, seems like a very good point. Thanks for the explanation.

Cr@zy &nger

Smash Rookie
NNID
crazydylan123
3DS FC
1332-8755-9018
Sucks Lucas isn't going to be there, but at least Mewtwo will.

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
An important thought I haven't seen anyone post yet.

As SSB4 gets an update that balances characters. Old replays gets 'broken' for obvious reasons.

SSB4 will get a new balancing update this April, and old replays will get 'broken' again.

The new sharing feature will allow people to share repays on MiiVerse. If another balancing update is released in the future, all uploaded relays will 'break' again – and Nintendo might not want broken replays shared on MiiVerse.

So I see 3 possibilities:
• Relays from now on (or least uploaded ones) will no longer be button presses, and instead full animations (or full video).
• They don't care about broken videos on MiiVerse.
• No more Balancing Updates from now on.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If/WHEN custom moves are updated in the patch, what are they going to do about that for EVO?

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
IDC that Lucas won't be legal at Evo that much TBH. I'm just happy that it leaves only two characters to make the roster not feel empty.

srs not having Ice Climbers completely negates the roster because it will never feel complete without them

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why Lucas needs to be banned. The balance patch is much more likely to mess up everyone's preparation for Evo than Lucas. Yeah Lucas is new but so what? People can't prepare as much for a matchup against him but people also don't have a chance to master him either. Having Lucas in the tournament makes things more interesting.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I don't see why Lucas needs to be banned. The balance patch is much more likely to mess up everyone's preparation for Evo than Lucas. Yeah Lucas is new but so what? People can't prepare as much for a matchup against him but people also don't have a chance to master him either. Having Lucas in the tournament makes things more interesting.
This, I said this numerous times and no one seems to care. Seriously it's either you have both or you have neither, both are huge game changers.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
We've seen that the last patch wasn't drastic or any of the previous ones except for a few characters (I think greninja was affected most) with the last from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 it was subtle and this will probably tone down like diddy and make some better like maybe charizard might be a little faster, palutena with less endlag on most moves, wii fit with better hit boxes. but I dobut anything too drastic just fixing the problems some had so they dont suck (competitively, not meaning to be rude)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
We've seen that the last patch wasn't drastic or any of the previous ones except for a few characters (I think greninja was affected most) with the last from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 it was subtle and this will probably tone down like diddy and make some better like maybe charizard might be a little faster, palutena with less endlag on most moves, wii fit with better hit boxes. but I dobut anything too drastic just fixing the problems some had so they dont suck (competitively, not meaning to be rude)
It will be drastic because it will be built around a new characters meta.

Top Bottom