• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As much as I love this character, he definitly doesn't have good OOS options!

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I've been playing captain falcon and I will make him my main next to Bowser and Sonic, but one problem I seem to notice with Captain Falcon is that he doesn't have really good OOS options. His only decent ones is Nair, Uair, and Up-B (Usmash is too slow to be an effective OOS option).

The characters that prove this are small characters such as pikachu and Kirby. they can even be standing still and an OOS Nair or Uair will whiff everytime. On Medium to Heavy characters though, they are more effective.

What do people think of Captain Falcon's OOS options? I still think Captain Falcon is a top 10 or 15 material character and I lvoe rushdown mix-up game, but this is a huge problem for him.

Last edited:

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
OOS has always been one of C.F. huge weaknesses. He had quite terrible OOS-options in Melee as well and don't even get me started on Brawl.

In general he has always had 3 primary options: Jab, nair and grab. However in Smash 4 the Nair is very situational and should only be used on large characters. Your 2 best options in this game (according to me) is jab or grab/dash grab or in special circumstances, quick dash attack.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
OOS has always been one of C.F. huge weaknesses. He had quite terrible OOS-options in Melee as well and don't even get me started on Brawl.

In general he has always had 3 primary options: Jab, nair and grab. However in Smash 4 the Nair is very situational and should only be used on large characters. Your 2 best options in this game (according to me) is jab or grab/dash grab or in special circumstances, quick dash attack.
i agree and that's what i've been doing. i barely use OOS Nair outside of large characters. on the plus side, since there's hitstun in smash 4, his Nair to Uair combos are more practical. been getting them a lot in matches.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Falcon's Jab, in Brawl, was a god-tier move and it's still the same in this game... but Falcon's other moves are suddenly a lot better too, with the new engine :p

It's still a great OOS option, in my opinion. I agree that short characters can be infuriating... I usually just roll back/jump and try to figure out what they're going to do next.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Luckily for Falcon, rolling is better than it used to be, and he can now easier reset the situation with a roll when his other OOS options simply aren't viable

jay-tee

Smash Cadet
Well, you have Grab, Up-Smash, Rolling and Jumping away. Sometimes Short-hop and Bair can be a option. Due to Captains Movement I think you would prefer running around and jumping than shielding... well, in some match-ups.

Starkiller2

Smash Cadet
Just dropping your shield->Gentleman is a great one! Shield drop speed is so fast in this game, sometimes if your opponent does a spaced attack or push back puts them too far, just drop your shield and dash grab. Think of this like WDOOS in Melee, although Falcon's bad wd didn't make this very effective :p

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
I feel like anything to mix up your OOS to confuse your opponent is worth it, but only if it's unexpected.

In Brawl I used UP-B OOS, but very sparingly, to keep my opponent on their toes and if I new that jab would be blocked by a quick shield (MK always had time to shield!) So depending on the opponent and the state of the match it can sometimes be very useful to throw out some more unusual OOS-options to mix it up as long as it's relatively safe.

Last edited:

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I'm a C.Fal main, and I don't really understand the oos options in this game in general, and this thread makes sense i guess, considering that I've mostly just been doing a lot of falcon, and it seems that other characters have an easy time mixing me up with their OOS moves, so could anyone point me to a general OOS thread, or tell me what most characters can typically do OOS? I say this mostly because it seems everyone else can do stuff immediately after shielding, but when I try those other characters I can't find anything.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
shield is so much better in this game for aggression. I just shield -> drop the shield -> gentleman.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Its contextual but what everyone says here is pretty much what I do. Most of the time shield drop jab combo. If it is more punishable then I'll go for f-tilt and get some chase tech setups. If its a get-up attack then thats a free fsmash or dsmash. His OOS options are good enough for me. If you HAVE to, down-throw upairs are reliable and at very specific percents down-throw knee is a combo.

Remember this is a different game. Aerials out of shield aren't as good as ground punishes anymore.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
I'm a C.Fal main, and I don't really understand the oos options in this game in general, and this thread makes sense i guess, considering that I've mostly just been doing a lot of falcon, and it seems that other characters have an easy time mixing me up with their OOS moves, so could anyone point me to a general OOS thread, or tell me what most characters can typically do OOS? I say this mostly because it seems everyone else can do stuff immediately after shielding, but when I try those other characters I can't find anything.
I'll just break it down for you, since it's relatively simple: basically, everyone can roll (by pressing a side input after shield), spotdodge (by pressing down after shield), and jump out of shield. If you perform an usmash or upB immediately after a jump out of shield (like 4ish frames, so you shouldnt even see yourself leaving the ground), then you can successfully perform a OoS usmash or upB. I like to map jump to L, because i use R to shield. I don't actually use L to jump normally, I just use it to more quickly and effortlessly go shield-jump-usmash/upB. You can also, especially on the pro controller or 3ds, just roll your thumb from y to b or x to a. I think you can also perform out of shield up-tilt, but I think that's involving dropping your shield entirely instead of cancelling a jump. I'd google that though, because obviously im not the most reliable source on OoS utilt.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
shield is so much better in this game for aggression. I just shield -> drop the shield -> gentleman.
This is probably Falcon's best OOS option. Many of his other options are too slow or might not have the range you need to hit some opponents. I would suggest using the gentleman OOS, but later in the game switch to a different strategy to keep things fresh. If your opponent expects you to gentleman, try rolling so you are on the opposite side of the other fighter and do dthrow->KoJ or upthrow->uair. Depending on damage, execution, and stale move stuff, that could become upthrow->uair->uair, with maybe a jump between the two uairs.

Top Bottom