• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Artificial Intelligence?

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
falco powershielded my rest, spammed tech skill then shine baired me

Malart

Smash Apprentice
Hey King Clubber, I know this a thread about AI isn't the place for this, but would it be possible to add hitlag + added/altered weight + the ability for them to clip into one another slightly to the sandbags in practice mode? That would also help people get l-cancelling down without necessarily having to use s2j's Ice Climber's trick, as one could spawn them close together and spam aerials to get the fast fall and L-cancel down. It would also make them useful as actual sandbags lol.

Malart

Smash Apprentice
I still can 3 stock lvl 9 fox because of cape, so until that gets fixed...

I imagine stuff like that will always be a problem, you can't expect a complete miracle. CPU stupidity isn't something they're likely to be able to fix without a pretty radical overhaul of the A.I. for each character. I mean they could try to make them sweetspot everytime, but then you could just edgehog every time. You'll always find a way to punish CPU dumbassery, but it's up to you whether or not you choose to do so. I think they could become a great tool to practice specific things, but there will likely always be a way to exploit weaknesses. Who know's though, maybe in 3.0, the King Clubber will surprise us all and create an A.I. that will just completely dominate the world, take control of our nuclear missles, fire them all, then spam shines while we all die of radiation poisoning.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
The first time I tried 2.5b was the first time I was happy to lose to a computer. It's the first time I've lost to a computer because they played well rather than because I played poorly! I haven't played 2.6 yet, but that Falco taunt sounds pretty cool. Amazing work on the AI!

If you intend to give more characters tech spam for taunts, you could consider some sort of dribbling for Diddy Kong. Might be difficult since he needs his bananas out, but it would be neat to see!

Also I'd love to see Diddy use his bananas more in general.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Kingclubber, i remember you mentioning something about character's AI having danger bubbles (and your plans to make them smaller). Would it be entirely impossible to have multiple danger bubbles, overlapping variously, yielding different reactions based on how many and which bubbles the player is in?

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
KingClubber, thank you for having the AI troll us hard. That was definitely needed for once in a game ;)

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
As Sheik or Squirtle, I can consistently 3-stock most of the cast, including Fox. But Falco has a 10% victory rate against me, and Luigi has about a 65% victory rate. -_- The only flaw is lack of teching for all cpus, and lack of chaingrabs, with Fox, Falco, or Sheik.
Keep up the good CPUs. I look forward to getting Climber chaingrabbed once they are added. :D

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
So, if the AI is getting a boost to make it entertaining, is there any chance of stuff like Classic being set up to be better and Boss Battles becoming more dynamic and whatever else getting tweaked to be more challenging? Obviously after everything is said and done. And I'm sure someone somewhere has asked if there would be target smash modifications. I don't see why someone else couldn't create those so the team doesn't have to waste their time. Make the game super complete and stuff. inb4nostfu

You guys should make coin shooter less gay and boring. I want my slot machine so I can get my gambling fix after I 4-stock scrubs. /toppriority

D

Deleted member

I noticed that the Lucario AI does not use his "Ultra" (A+B). Is there no way to program that in?

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Why is Falco such an idiot? He uses all the wrong recoveries. Play Dracula's Castle and Bramble Falls and see what I mean.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
I can but he won't use it correctly, i don't have a way to get him to know he has a super. He would only be using it randomly which would be pointless.

That was my fault, i was supposed to fix it for 3.0 but forgotten about it. That is a Preset code written for Final Destination. So it only work best with stage that are similar to it. It's already in place should a new release comes out. :p

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
That was my fault, i was supposed to fix it for 3.0 but forgotten about it. That is a Preset code written for Final Destination. So it only work best with stage that are similar to it. It's already in place should a new release comes out. :p
No worries mate. In all honesty, it kind of fits his cocky, arrogant self, lol.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Great work on the AI, KingClubber! Out of curiosity, is it possible to make Samus' AI use the Super Wavedash and switch beams without simply taunting after a KO by any chance? She used the SWD once, but it was seemingly by mistake. I just think it would be cool to fight a Samus that knows how to use advanced techniques such as those, it would make fights even more interesting! I also notice that she doesn't seem to protect herself too much while charging a shot, at least not against enemy projectiles.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Hey man, whatever you can do is alright with me! Fighting these tougher AIs caught me off guard at first, but I've learned to appreciate them, as they've helped me improve. Keep up the great work! :)

MattNF

Smash Lord
One thing about AIs is that if youre standing next to a ledge and shielding, theyll do a short hop aerial towards you but fall off the stage and die. Happens with Fox/Falco almost every time.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Yea near a ledge the AI is recovering and I'm standing there to edgeguard and they dodge away from the stage killing themselves...

I hope they don't self destruct in the next release.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
CPU kinda aren't human, so it's hard for me to make them understand that if they are near the ledge to pull back without ruining what they are doing. They also don't know what a shield is, so to them you are just standing there not moving.

This will be changed in the next release, if i don't forget. :p

I wouldn't put money on that if i was you. A lot of hard ai code is hard coded, or under layers of coding so it difficult cutting the cancer out without damaging the cpu.

DiamondDust

Prime Time Player
NNID
MaysTheCraze
Good job on the AI. Seriously, I didn't know the AI could be made to be this good. I can hardly imagine them being even better in future releases. Lvl 9 Mario is a real pain in the ass to fight again!

One thing though is that the AI is constantly trying to SHFFL, which is fine most of the time, but every so often they jump off the stage for an edgeguard and they either fast fall their landing attempting to SHFFL, killing themselves, or they air dodge off of the stage and kill themselves. Wonder if that could possibly be fixed.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
CPU kinda aren't human, so it's hard for me to make them understand that if they are near the ledge to pull back without ruining what they are doing. They also don't know what a shield is, so to them you are just standing there not moving.

This will be changed in the next release, if i don't forget. :p

I wouldn't put money on that if i was you. A lot of hard ai code is hard coded, or under layers of coding so it difficult cutting the cancer out without damaging the cpu.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Sorry KingClubber, I didn't mean to sound mean. You've done a great job with the AI in this game and it has enabled me to learn a little more about the game itself. It's just Falco is a little bit of an idiot, but hey, he is a cocky, arrogant, temperamental sort of guy too so it kind of fits.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Falcon moonwalking back and forth across the stage while taunt canceling "show me your moves" as a taunt when
Lucas, fox, wolf, ness multishining as taunts when
i just find that **** funny and awesome as **** even if it's not useful in any way

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Three questions for KingClubber:

1. Does the AI DI randomly/ in a more unpredictable manner?

2. How does AI difficulty effect their play?

3. Are the "Danger Zones" around the bots the same size across the entire cast?

KingClubber

Smash Ace
Mostly random. There are a few characters that use it effectively but i can't recalled which ones. Wavedashing was coded very very early when i joined the PMBR, and was just thrown in to show advancement. Later i implemented it better after talking to a few members, but only like...2 characters got that change, and it was forgotten after the advancement was made. :p

I'm always trying to figure out new things, and understand how ai really works. To give an example, making cpu's do a simple action can take a few mins or up to days. Nana's recovery alone took me 3 to 4 days because her ai functions differently from other characters due to her mechanics. There currently isn't a way to control nana alone, and if popo dies she dies which lead to a lot of frustration.

I wanted to quit working on it several times.

I won't lie, sometimes i get...really really lazy. Like now, I haven't really done anything since 3.0 has been released, i should be working on something VERY important for the next release.

But...

yeah....

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
I won't lie, sometimes i get...really really lazy. Like now, I haven't really done anything since 3.0 has been released, i should be working on something VERY important for the next release.

But...

yeah....
It's alright. You are a human too. Still, thank you for everything you have done thus far, KingClubber. Your work towards something as difficult as this is greatly appreciated. And best of luck to you for the future.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
For the most part, I feel like cpu's have become more challenging and less predictable then before. You've done a truly great job!

Top Bottom