• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Armada is your Melee EVO 2015 Champion!

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
Compliments to Armada, he played really well, I'm sorry for Mango cause 2 sd and stalling were really unfair on him and with all of this he almost cameback. I don't want to say that Hungrybox didn't play well but I'll say his win against Mango wasn't earned

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
amazing amazing work to armada. i'm so happy for him. well-deserved. hungrybox played great so props to him but to be 100% honest i really didn't want him to be in grands over pp or mango. i feel like either one of them would have given us a more exciting grand finals than that

e: also wow great job to plup and druggedfox. hope to see mango come back strong soon

Last edited:

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
After 3 days of Smashing, nail biting drama, and several unexpected results, [A]rmada has come out as the EVO 2015 Super Smash Brothers Melee champion. Players during the weekend were treated to the highest level of play seen since Apex 2015 and yet another crazy finish. [A]rmada overcame a strong performance from TL | Hungrybox before taking the crown 3-2 in a close grand finals. The victory came after a long drought for the former #1 player in the world and after winning the crowd chanted his name, along with over 205,000 viewers on Twitch.

Champions were crowned at EVO 2015

The top 8 was filled with character diversity, an issue that has been troubling of late with the rise of the 20XX meta and was a concern coming into EVO 2015. Viewers were treated to Fox, Falco, Sheik, Samus, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Marth, and Ice Climbers. Sadly, no Captain Falcon. The biggest surprise was Plup's Samus and high level of play after having his controller break the previous night. Also on display was ChuDat's Ice Climbers which reminded many of his 2007 prime. While Chu had chances to go deeper in the bracket, he was unable to come up with the SoPo magic that was witnessed just a day before.

PPMD even brushed off his Falco in the winners finals against a driven Armada. Though flashy, it didn't pay off and Armada managed to take the winners finals in a clean 3-0 sweep. PPMD's day was cut short by another 3-0 sweep against Hungrybox in the Loser's Finals.

Controversy
Some controversy has come out of the event as once again Hungrybox used ledge stall mechanics to control the pace of play - taking a game from Armada in a time out and upsetting Mango in the losers bracket. The strategy meant Hungrybox lost the crowd for the day and was even booed after his 2-1 victory over Mango, where Mango suicided twice in game 3. Despite the crowd being against him, Hungrybox managed to defeat Plup and PPMD en route to his third grand finals (historically) against Armada. For Hungrybox, his fortunes turned in the losers bracket after switching to a standing position - after which he would not lose again until the grand finals. Despite using the ledge against Armada in winners and Mango in losers, he went away from the strategy late in the bracket and didn't employ it in the grand finals, where he lost 3-2 to Armada's Fox.

The Melee Finals of EVO 2015

Status of Leffen
One of the favorites to win the event after a dominant performance at CEO 2015 only weeks ago, Leffen washed out of the event with losses to Hungrybox's Jigglypuff 2-0 in winners and to Plup's Samus in losers. Matchup inexperience likely played a key role in both of these losses. Unable to again make a stand at the grandest stage, Leffen will head home with his status among the top of the Melee hierarchy still in doubt.

Below are the results for the top 64, characters, and payouts for Melee at EVO 2015.
EVO 2015 Melee Top 8 - 1,869 entrants ($18,690 prize pool)
July 17 - 19, 2015
1. [A]rmada (Fox) - $11,214
2. TL | Hungrybox (Jigglypuff) - $3,738
3. EG | PPMD (Marth, Falco) - $1,869
4. PG | Plup (Sheik, Samus) - $747.60
5. C9 | Mango (Fox) $373.80
5. TSM | Leffen (Fox)- $373.80
7. MH | ChuDat (Ice Climbers) - $186.90
7. TP | Axe (Pikachu) - $186.90
9. Ice (Fox, Sheik)
9. CLG|PewPewU (Marth)
9. HugS (Samus)
9. DruggedFox (Sheik, Marth)
13. Liquid|Ken (Marth)
13. Lucky (Fox)
13. Tempo|Westballz (Falco, Fox)
13. Duck (Samus)
17. Fly Amanita (Ice Climbers)
17. Santiago (Fox)
17. SFAT (Fox)
17. Hax (Fox)
17. GC|SilentWolf (Fox)
17. TAY|Javi (Fox)
17. S2J (Captain Falcon)
17. MacD (Peach)
25. Reno (Marth)
25. WFX|Shroomed (Sheik)
25. DJ Nintendo (Fox)
25. VGBC|aMSa (Yoshi)
25. Laudandus (Sheik)
25. DarkRain (Captain Falcon)
25. Zanguzen (Falco)
25. XTR|Eddy Mexico (Luigi)
33. Azen Zagenite (Marth, Falco)
33. Lovage (Fox)
33. Kalamazhu (Peach)
33. DarkAtma (Sheik)
33. Poor Zhu (Falco)
33. 62-Bit|Vish (Captain Falcon)
33. Kira (Sheik)
33. Far! (Falco)
33. Swedish Delight (Sheik)
33. OkamiBW (Sheik)
33. COG|Wizzrobe (Captain Falcon)
33. Animal (Fox)
33. Darrell (Samus)
33. Azusa (Peach)
33. Frootloop (Falco)
33. The Moon (Marth)
49. MIOM|Tafokints (Sheik)
49. Forward (Falco, Fox)
49. Lord (Captain Falcon)
49. JJS|MikeHaze (Fox)
49. KPan (Fox)
49. Cactuar (Fox)
49. Prince Abu (Jigglypuff)
49. VS|Blea Gelo (Luigi)
49. Drephen (Sheik)
49. FSBR|Crush (Fox)
49. VGBC|Redd (Fox)
49. FatGoku (Fox)
49. Joey Cheung (Falco)
49. Dart (Marth)
49. Light (Peach)
49. SS|Colbol (Fox)
I watched it live. What an awesome performance by Armada!

KillerGum

Smash Cadet
Compliments to Armada, he played really well, I'm sorry for Mango cause 2 sd and stalling were really unfair on him and with all of this he almost cameback. I don't want to say that Hungrybox didn't play well but I'll say his win against Mango wasn't earned
Lmao you are so salty. How did Hbox not earn the win over Mango? Hbox outplayed him, that's why he won. mango shouldn't have SD'd twice and should've played smarter against Hbox on the ledge. If you lose, you deserve to lose. If you win, You deserve to win.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I am in agreement with Puff just making the matches less entertaining. Glad that Armada got his win though.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Lol are people actually disappointed with Mango's medal toss? God forbid someone shows emotion.

Peredonov

Smash Rookie
Even though PPMD or Mango making it to GFs would have been amazing, but GFs with Hbox were exciting enough, going all the way to game 5. The most regrettable thing is probably that we didn't get to see Mango v PPMD, which hasn't happened in a long while.

Still, all of top 8 was amazing. Plup was incredible. And Armada of course proved himself as a good a student of Melee as PP, if not better. He was completely ready for this tournament. All the glory to the BOAT!

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
congrats to armada for winning evo on melee and to hungrybox for taking second

Mitochondria-Eve

Smash Rookie
Really glad that Armada won, but every player put up a valiant effort and I was really glad that I was finally able to catch EVO live on stream this time around. It was a wonderful experience.

Eureka

Smash Ace
The medal toss from Mang0 was hilarious, but honestly I'm just glad he showed up for awards. He completely threw away that last game against Hbox by SDing twice. It was entirely his fault that he lost. And that, my friends, is where you get the most concentrated salt that exists.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
There is going to be the saltiest of suites now for Mang0 and Hbox.

I'm talking sodium levels exceeding 3000% of your daily diet.

xLithiumx

Smash Cadet
Does anyone has a link to Mang0's Medal Toss highlight? Closed The stream after Hbox lost. Too sad. That Man is The reason why Jiggly is Top Character, he has The most consistent EVO placement (if Im no mistaken hes aways at top 3). I wanted him to win só bad. (Yet... Congrats to Armada, You deserved this victory). :)
Actually... Mango is why Jiggs is top tier >.>

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
WHAT THE **** IS THIS I THOUGHT MANGO WAS THE BEST AND WHERE THE **** IS M2K SMASH IS RUINED FOREVER BY ROYTARDS BTW MELEE TAKES NO SLILL BECAUSE THERES NO LILMAC
obvious newbie troll is obvious...

welcome to the REAL world of Smash, started by this 14+ year old game with a metagame that, for the most part, is optimized as far as it can go.

stick to your game, push its limits, do not side-b off the for glory stage, and no johns for novice losses. have a nice day!:cool:

Last edited:

xLithiumx

Smash Cadet
Althought I did want Mango to win his 3vo, I'm not mad at Hbox. You could say I'm more-so disappointed with him. I've seen him play good, but to me, his gameplay today wasn't Evo-worthy. I mean, this is Top 8 at Evo, Evo, and he played more campy than ever. Props to him on 2nd and all, but like, come on, man. Same to Mango. He was playing good in Top 8, but those two SDs were just... Everybody else played soo good though. I sincerely hope Top 8 is better at the next Evo, should we make it and we probably will.

Last edited:

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
mangofans white knighting for Mango when they know darn well if it was hbox throwing a symbol of achievement away they'd be slamming him for being arrogant

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Fantastic top 8! I'm really mad that armada only played against puff and marth(the two characters he picked up fox for. Armadas peach is the hypest thing in melee

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Was hoping to see Hbox take it but good job to Armada. Mango salt was great, when he threw his medal into the crowd.

Defo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Defotheduck
Why do people always cheer for Mango? Just curious since I personally don't find him very respectful and worthy of praise especially after seeing him throw his medal like it's trash.

BuTTNutz

Smash Apprentice
Thought #1 Where was M2K during all of this, I am aware of his hand problems but I had it would be MIS EVO serious. hope he gets better

Thought #2 Now Armada has solidified himself as one of the all time greatest melee players ever!

_Wombo_

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yougotgame100
Congratulations to all the top 8 players and shoutout to Mang0 for throwing his medal into the audience lmao XD

_Wombo_

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yougotgame100
Absolutely loved this EVO. Also have to mention, despite the negative crowd reaction, Hbox is just such a good sport. Don't hate.
People were just mad he beat Mango and knocked him out of the tournament. Both of them played really well

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
Lol are people actually disappointed with Mango's medal toss? God forbid someone shows emotion.
Who's saying they're disappointed? I for one, am impressed with how good Mango's throws have been this year. ;)

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
When fox players laser camp, they aren't actively trying to time the other player out.
The problem with laser camping is that there are 3 options:
  • approach, which Fox can punish
  • never approach, take 999% and die to a stray Nair or something
  • camp ledge until Fox approaches.
Hbox chose option 3 because it was the most likely choice to put the odds in his favor

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
208K viewers and tons of hype sets with top players put in 1-0 holes.... awesome EVO, hope to see melee back next year!

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Leffen sucks and Mango is a baby. So much disrespect from the audience when H-Box came in 2nd. You know this is why I hate competitive smash, especially Melee. Half the players are complete tolls and the audience just fangasms over "The Top 3". They were mad that the Melee matches got interesting and their "Gods" didn't make it to the top. Such a shame that the game was ruined.

werk

Smash Rookie
mangofans white knighting for Mango when they know darn well if it was hbox throwing a symbol of achievement away they'd be slamming him for being arrogant
It would probably help if Hbox didn't specfically go for the trashiest plays every single time hes against someone that is far and above where he is.

Its like watching someone run around in circles cause they know theyre about to get tackled in football.

Acryte

Smash Ace
This EVO has been the most hype by far.

Also, nice disrespect with that medal, Mang0.

EDIT: Was going to post this pic originally, but forgot.

Look at all those viewers.
There's no way that's correct... it was 208K when I looked at that time... I was using twitch.tv app on ipad also.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
The BIGGEST Melee tournament of the year... :p
Yea meanwhile Mango has won two of those.

This year Armada has won INY, Sandstorm, Drommelan 4.5, Beauty10 and now EVO

Leffen has won BEAST5 5, CEO 2015, FC Return and WTFox

PP has won APEX 2015, his second APEX win

Mew2King hasn't won anything big, but he barely participates in Melee anymore

Mango has won a couple Mayhems and BAM7. I feel like he's won something else but whatever.

Hbox has one lone win, Paragon, a considerably smaller tourney, with threats yes, but he only ran into two. Armada (who lost 2 as Peach and then won 2 with Fox, and then lost one with Fox) and Mew2King (who always struggles with Hbox, the same way Hbox struggles with Mango).

Your move.

Eureka

Smash Ace
It would probably help if Hbox didn't specfically go for the trashiest plays every single time hes against someone that is far and above where he is.

Its like watching someone run around in circles cause they know theyre about to get tackled in football.
Except people DO run around in football to avoid being tackled. The problem wasn't Hbox giving Mang0 the run around, it's that Mang0 couldn't make the tackle. Armada had very clearly shown how to beat the ledge camping strategy with a down tilt earlier. There was no reason Mang0 couldn't have done the same thing.

Last edited:

Knuckles9000

Smash Rookie
I was out with some friends when top 8 happened and when I heard hbox beat mang0 I lost it and my friends (who I play melee with) said mang0 wouldn't win, I then promptly 4 stocked him.

Top Bottom