• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

arg, my kirby is "alright" (UPDATE VIDS 5/24/08)

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
my bf tells me my kirby is "alright" and sometimes "not bad", so i'm taking it as i need improvement. i played kirby in melee, but i want to main him in brawl. boy was i excited when i found out he got buffed, lol. anyway, i finally recorded videos and PLEASE CRITIQUE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDFkiTd8iN4 vs olimar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asAkbCRKglg vs sonic

~~~~new videos~~~ 5/24/08

hello fellow kirby users. i am back with more videos after trying to improve for the past few weeks. i am pummeling a lot more when i grab and i finally used kirbycides! i am fighting more off the stage but i miss the target a lot lol. anyways here are some videos, please critique. :p i played my brother in these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUCVnmChvPM vs olimar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwYHoZ9D4Ew vs snake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGzxoF7RLQA vs snake

^^ in this video, i have a question. at 2:48 - 2:50 i dodged left and wanted to do a smash attack right, but instead, i JABBED in the opposite direction. that happened a few times before and i could have sworn i pressed the right buttons. am i just timing it wrong? i didnt use the cstick.

i dont want to post a lot of videos but 1 last one of kirbycides. quick game lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjLQwQfuWdA vs bowser

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
Your Kirby is fine, however there is always room for improvement. An uTilt used at the right time can be devastating to your opponent, the rest of the tilts you use just fine. which leads me to your throws... when you grab them punch them once or twice then throw, also combo out of your forward throw and down throw.

In the Kirby vs Olimar video, the Olimar needs to improve more than your Kirby. I think you handled Oli a lot better than some Kirby players I know.

Also come check out the Star Warriors Thread.

-YinYang.ERROR

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
lol he just doesnt want to admit your better then him :)
but yeah try to combo out of your throws more and use punches before you throw... but from what i can tell you are already trying to implement those into your play style so just keep working on that

ok so heres my advice... remember that you can walk... seriously just walking can be so useful... if you need to slightly adjust your spacing you can walk to get that perfect spacing for an unpunishable bair or get just in range of a grab after being pushed away slightly from shielding... walking isnt always the best option but just remember its there for those little adjustments.. and sometimes if you just walk slowly towards your opponent it can actually work as an approach and just ftilt when they dash at you to kick them out of their dash... ive done this against metaknight and it worked surprisingly well... obviously dont do this all the time but changing up approaches helps you be less predictable... mainly though walk for spacing

next is DONT BE AFRAID TO FIGHT OFF THE STAGE!! seriously i think this is a way you can VASTLY improve. im amazed at how awsome your doing without fighting off the stage since thats a huge strength of kirbys. lets say you knock your opponent off the screen and they are comming back towards the stage... float after them and just bair them and finish them or if they are comming from below spike them with a dair... maybe even fairs sometimes just fight off the stage and do not even worry about being able to make it back... cause like 98% of the time you can still make it back even if you dair them and go off the bottom of the screen

also know that you can edgehog. you could have probably three stocked that olimar if you just jumped onto the ledge right before he used his upb to come back as this completely ruins his recovery... and this works on other characters too as long as you get the timing down. Also when you are comming back to the stage try not to always approach from above... you can grab the ledge sometimes as the ledge is actually a fairly safe position since you start off with invulnerability and have quite a few options of getting back onto the stage and maybe knocking your opponent off instead.

finally use more kirbycides :) for example i saw one time sonic knocked you up a little and you were just barely above him and were perfectly spaced to inhale him and fall off the bottom and win... you would be surprised at some of the attacks inhale outprioritizes and also opponents tend to be caught offguard too.

so yea basically your on stage game is awsome just work on following your opponents off the stage and then you can own everybody
hope that helps :)

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
kirbycide is something i find hard to do in melee and in brawl. are there any good kirbycide videos?? ty for the suggestions btw. i will definitely try to chase after my opponent when theyre off the stage.

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
kirbycide is something i find hard to do in melee and in brawl. are there any good kirbycide videos?? ty for the suggestions btw. i will definitely try to chase after my opponent when theyre off the stage.
kirbycide is something I do even when I shouldn't...
it never stops being satisfying.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
I've Kirbycided people twice in a match solely because they didn't know it was possible. xDD

I like your Kirby a lot. You use his forward tilt very effectively. I need to improve on that. You could use moar up tilt, especially when the opponent is directly behind you thinking they got you for an attack. Oh, slap more when holding a grabbed enemy. Also, up throw can kill off the top if you're on a lower ceiling stage when your opponent is around 150%.

Like they said, a bit more off the stage fighting is always good. ^_^ Hammer mindgames are fun as hell, also. xD

You also use Kirby's nair well. I could learn a thing or two from that. Oh, try using Kirby's standard A combo a bit more. It's underrated and actually quite neat. ^_^

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Your kirby looks very good, hopefully when I get home from school I can get some videos up for myself, need some critique :\

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
thanks everyone! the olimar is often better, i think he got nervous when i started recording, haha. o ya, ive been trying kirbycides, i am a failure, tsk tsk... the punching after a grab is of course easier to improve on, lol.

GenericKen

Smash Cadet
Your Kirby is quite good.

I'll have to agree with the rest of the thread that you should pummel more during throws though. Kirby's back kick is his safest move with the most priority, but when it starts to stale, it gets harder to get a safer KO. Each pummel gets added to the 9 move stale list, so popping in for 3-4 quick pummels, a throw, and a quick follow up goes a very, very long way towards unstaling the back kick and helping finish an opponent off.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
You are good. only two thing i think to mention, use rock less, its good but your making it somewhat predictable, and use fsmash more, you almost never use it and its such a good move! It out prioritizes a lot of sonic and olimars stuff.

Star654

Smash Rookie
i noticed you hardly ever use final cutter ( ok so i only watched the sonic match ) helps keep him away sometimes if hes spazzing towards you like most sonics do

on the other hand, i personally use final cutter a little bit MORE then i should, and i get punished for it, soooo maybe dont listen to me ;)

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
You are good. only two thing i think to mention, use rock less, its good but your making it somewhat predictable, and use fsmash more, you almost never use it and its such a good move! It out prioritizes a lot of sonic and olimars stuff.
ah, i did notice the rock thing, i started to use it out of habit in brawl because it seemed to come out faster. the lack of fsmash is due to not using it in melee, in melee it was pretty "pffft", i am not use to using it in brawl. however, i will keep that in mind for sure, more fsmash, less rock. (this one seems like one of the easier things for me to improve on, woot)

BTW, thanks for the critiques and compliments everyone!

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
i noticed you hardly ever use final cutter ( ok so i only watched the sonic match ) helps keep him away sometimes if hes spazzing towards you like most sonics do

on the other hand, i personally use final cutter a little bit MORE then i should, and i get punished for it, soooo maybe dont listen to me ;)
She did use final cutter alot. But you dont want to use it unless you know youre gonna hit some1 with it. Also she plays a great kirby. Her bf is just jealous because hes a c-stick spammer that finally got put in his place. I was pretty shocked during the end of the sonic vid when she grabbed him twice and use the d-throw. f-throw is a KO move at 150% or higher happy. Well on that stage at least.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Ok so let me just start off by saying you were really good before and are getting even better =P

From watching these videos the biggest thing I think you could improve is your grab game. Basically combo more out of your throws and grab more. Seriously, kirby has a sick grab game. Abuse it XD Kirby has a rather large grab range, try to learn how far you can grab an opponent. Like sometimes, you can even grab a person farther than they can hit you with some of their moves. Also, when you block someones attack remember the quickest thing you can do from shield is grab. I saw some opportunities where you could have grabbed your opponent, but didn't. If you see them shield make sure to grab as well. Of course, I'm sure you know about this but we all make mistakes right? Just remember kirby's grabs are awesome and if you have an opportunity to use one do it. And if you grab at low percent, forward throw is generally your best throw. Watch Gonzo's combo video for some examples of combos you can do from grabs.

So it seems like you understand kirbycide now, but also you can use inhale as a regular attack. It does 10% damage and is basically like a slightly longer range grab that you can also use in the air. Since opponents often shield when you jump towards them, this makes it a great move to mix in every now and then as you will eat them through the shield can then spit them. Also a lot of times people seem to get disorientated when you spit them. So you can probably easily get a bair off before they realize where they are and all. The inhale also outprioritizes a lot of attack. I have yet to see a dash attack that outprioritizes it. I imagine ikes does and marth but they would have to use it at the right range. Theres other attacks too that you can counter just by inhaling. I guess I'd just say experiment with it a bit until you learn what attacks you can counter and then just use it for those.

Anyways your kirby is really good. You mix up your approach and attacks a lot, which is very good. Theres lots of things you do that are really good, but yea I suppose I don't need to go into all that. Go win some tournaments =)

Edit: Forgot to mention, try using kirby's running upsmash. Kirby's upsmash actually kills rather well and has a good amount of range when used while running. Its mainly just something to mix in during a dash instead of a dash attack. Also if you hit a shield with it they will slide away from you making a shield grab miss. Basically just try it out and see if you can mix it into your general strategy.

Dr.Dronicus

Smash Rookie
The only thing I noticed had to do with your Olimar matchup. I've noticed Olimar's will often do an attack that's in front of them (IE, forward smash, forward tilt, or forward B) and as soon as they notice a roll towards them, they'll downsmash. If you spot dodge this, he's wide up for a c-sticked F smash, and against Olimar that can kill real early. Other than that, your Kirby is awesome. (Except for the things other people mentioned, but I figured I didn't need to revisit that.)

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Well I don't feel like critiquing but about the thing where you jabbed. I would say you were still holding the analog stick from the roll and pressed A before you hit the analog stick the other way. So instead you turned around and jabbed instead of f-smashing. Really I don't think its that big of a deal, it probably won't happen again.

Also about your kirby, improve your gimping. On the third matchup against snake, early in the match you had chances of gimping him. You do more often later on but you use b-air not an amazing choice b/c snake will still survive unless he's at like 130% and even then. I would use d-air b/c then you'll get a the kill earlier. Two, don't use the rock as much. Too punishable no further explanation needed.

Try f-smashing more. Not an advice I usually give but sometimes you had chances to kill them earlier but didn't b/c you didn't use the f-smash. Don't spam it like a noob but use it at the right time, which is usually when the opponent is around 90% approaching 110%.

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
I have seen the fight against olimar, you have a good kirby ^^ Mixing defensive and offensive tactics, like using a "Bair Barrier", very useful, you knew how to dodge the pikmins, you could use more Hammer or Fsmash at high percentages, but was a good fight, congratz ^^

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGzxoF7RLQA vs snake

In this match u use UpB way to much, upB is a very punishable move. When u play against snake, every hit matters b/c snake is very very hard to KO if ur opponent DI's well. Having said that this might be a good video to watch and perhaps pick up some tactics

This snake user is about the same level as ur bro so u'll be able to utilize a lot of the same tactics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqzhmMxYgmM

Top Bottom