• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ARF ARF: The Air-Release Flash

Lykeios

Smash Apprentice
The idea of this technique is simple, it's something you use when you're up a stock or at unfavorable percentage to suicide on your opponent. You grab them off-edge, air release and flash out of your release. Granted, this clearly won't work on everyone, but after lots of testing i've found the people it does work on, and when it works.

Setup:

Simply grab your opponent mid-air, don't pummel, don't throw. When they are released you must flash immediately, no stepping, no jumping, just flash. Seriously, if you don't get the timing perfect, you will be airdodged, and look like an idiot. You must flash as soon as possible, without any sort of delay whatsoever. The easiest way to set this up is when your opponent is getting up from the ledge, or attacking from the ledge. A dash grab or shield grab on the ledge will do. Just think of when you grab Snake to gimp his recovery, it should look like that. (NOTE: It does not work on Snake!)

Characters:

So far i've found the release-to-flash works on
-Marth
-Peach
-Lucario
-R.O.B.
-Pit
-Zelda

I think that's about it for now. They can't airdodge out of it, and as far as i've tested can't DI out of it either. But now comes the important part, which is exactly how effective this technique is, because if you're flashing off the edge, clearly, you're not coming back.

Damage:

In order to work, depending on the angle in which you hit them, it will take anywhere from 70-90% to consistently kill them off-stage. All of these results were found on Final D, which is something else to take into consideration.

Marth: 70%
Peach: 80%
Lucario: 80%
R.O.B.: 90%
Pit: 90%
Zelda: 80%

Application:

In the event that you're a stock up, or even with a higher percentage, this can be the unexpected and guaranteed kill that you'll want to get the edge (both in gameplay and mindset) over your opponent. Granted, you're probably not going to run up against a bunch of Pits or Zeldas in tourney play, but it's still something you can use, that you probably didn't know you had.

I appreciate any and all feedback from the community, and i encourage you to test it for yourselves. Please note that you really have to get the timing right or it won't work.

-Lykeios

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
lolz lykeios. Most techniques and applications and etc are known
That's impossible to know, otherwise you'd know the unknown as well, making them known, not unknown.

I'm just messing with you. Regardless, this thread can be closed or kept open (for damage purposes). Or we can just create a whole new thread for the subject.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
That's impossible to know, otherwise you'd know the unknown as well, making them known, not unknown.

I'm just messing with you. Regardless, this thread can be closed or kept open (for damage purposes). Or we can just create a whole new thread for the subject.
first sentence boggles my mind. this thread is gonna be a massive troll thread:chuckle:

Lykeios

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i'll fine tune the %'s, but for the most part they are pretty accurate the way they are. Also yeah, i thought ARF was pretty freaking clever

Also that list is was bigger than i thought it would be. When i tested most of those characters it didn't work, maybe i just timed it wrong. I'll try again. but i'll make sure to get %'s for them down too.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Arf is pretty win lol.

Uhh, the reason it might not have been working is because you have to buffer the sideB after the break. That's the trick to many of the characters, such as DeDeDe.

:059:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I'm hoping this stays a bit unknown outside of the Wolf boards, since I don't want people to know that mashing out of my grabs is a bad thing for them. It's too fun surprising people by ARFing them... even if I do suicide half the time I do so :/

Lykeios

Smash Apprentice
I think a major difference is that the characters i've listed CANNOT in any way shape or form DI or dodge the flash. Whereas:

"**NOTE** These are merely who it hits and how. This does NOT mean they are inescapable by any means. Most of them seem to work as "combos" but I'm sure there are a few that can be air dodged or something. However, due to the nature of this attack, I would not be surprised if the opponent either didn't react fast enough and/or had no idea wolf could hit them from so far away. Honestly these should work most of the time in a real match."

I dunno, all i'm saying is that you shouldn't HAVE to rely on the element of surprise for this thing to work, it should work everytime, regardless of your opponent's knowledge. And that's what i'm trying to get through.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Ah, but see, it IS guaranteed on many of the characters. Most of them have around 51 vulnerable frames after an air break. After someone breaks from your grab, Wolf has to wait 30 frames. That leaves 21 frames to hit the opponent, and guess what? SideB is exactly 21 frames to sweetspot :) I have the data to back it up too, just too lazy to post it atm. It definitely needs to be buffered perfectly though, which is harder than it sounds.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW :O not like it matters since we don't force airbreaks, but still, what KRD said.

JCav

Smash Lord
if marth does dolphin slash as soon he can, he will hit you first

however if he does this, expecting you to ARF he will die

and i think this is the only character who can do this, prove me wrong. idk but mario and g&w cant break it and those are the only characters i know of with invincibility outta up b. and mk doesnt count because you cant arf him anyways

Lykeios

Smash Apprentice
I mean my crew mate's a marth and everytime i've arfed him (even for testing) he's never slashed out of it. he says when i time it perfectly there's nothing he can do about it. BUT i'll continue testing to make sure of that.

I'll also test the %'s of all the other characters you have to buffer flash for

Vista

Smash Journeyman
Ah, but see, it IS guaranteed on many of the characters. Most of them have around 51 vulnerable frames after an air break. After someone breaks from your grab, Wolf has to wait 30 frames. That leaves 21 frames to hit the opponent, and guess what? SideB is exactly 21 frames to sweetspot :) I have the data to back it up too, just too lazy to post it atm. It definitely needs to be buffered perfectly though, which is harder than it sounds.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW :O not like it matters since we don't force airbreaks, but still, what KRD said.

LOL Rapeee

Top Bottom