• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you still going to main Toon Link?

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
So far Sma4sh has unveiled several characters that look like they could fit the playstyles of just about any TL main outthere. So my questiom to you is: are you going to stick to Toon Link?

Personally I want to keep in in at least my top 3. I love his floaty nature combined with his projectile game, and his amazing arial and ground game also add to this feeling. However, there are still many characters that I feel fit my overall playstyle better like Little Mac or the buffed Bowser.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Toon Link Forever.

And after playing Wind Waker HD, I only love him more. I love his quirky personality, so I intend to main him in this game. I just wish he got moves unique to him.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm going to stick to Toon Link as my number one main. I love characters with projectiles, which is why Megaman's play style is one of my favorites I've seen out of the newcomers. I also like the speedy characters more so than the larger, slower ones. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game too, so in honor of that I have to keep him as my main.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If none of the newcomers really sit with my playstyle (I'm planning to main Villager though) then I'll be back maining my main guy Toon Link once more. From what I've heard and seen from other Toon Link players, Toon Link has been getting it on very well so far. So I think he will at least always be my right hand guy for this installment like Ness used to be in Brawl and Melee.

Can't abandon the one character who was my most wanted fighter and main guy for Brawl so easily.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
If none of the newcomers really sit with my playstyle (I'm planning to main Villager though) then I'll be back maining my main guy Toon Link once more. From what I've heard and seen from other Toon Link players, Toon Link has been getting it on very well so far. So I think he will at least always be my right hand guy for this installment like Ness used to be in Brawl and Melee.

Can't abandon the one character who was my most wanted fighter and main guy for Brawl so easily.
I agree. One of the only negative things I've heard about Toon Link is his Dair no longer bounces, but I can live with that since it looks like a much better kill move.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I agree. One of the only negative things I've heard about Toon Link is his Dair no longer bounces, but I can live with that since it looks like a much better kill move.
Yeah his D-air is a lot more riskier now (a bit of a shame as I kinda liked abusing it a lot :p) and his up special doesn't go as high anymore. But his hookshot has been buffed quite significantly from what I've seen, it works a lot like Link's hookshot in Smash 64 except it goes and pulls back much faster than before and his tether recovery can grab the edge from crazy distances now.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Yeah his D-air is a lot more riskier now (a bit of a shame as I kinda liked abusing it a lot :p) and his up special doesn't go as high anymore. But his hookshot has been buffed quite significantly from what I've seen, it works a lot like Link's hookshot in Smash 64 except it goes and pulls back much faster than before and his tether recovery can grab the edge from crazy distances now.
Oh, I wasn't aware of his hookshot upgrades. That's awesome. Maybe this was supposed to act as a tradeoff for losing his bounce on his D-air.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Yeah. I feel that because of this, characters with tether recoveries will almost always be able to get back on the stage if they don't get K.O.'d after being knocked off. I also don't mind his new Down Air tweak. I think it will be really satisfying when I manage to Sword Thrust through my other three opponents in a four player match, effectively sending them flying in all different directions.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh, I wasn't aware of his hookshot upgrades. That's awesome. Maybe this was supposed to act as a tradeoff for losing his bounce on his D-air.
Perhaps, you can see his Hookshot upgrades (as well as any other tweaks he has received) here.

Yeah. I feel that because of this, characters with tether recoveries will almost always be able to get back on the stage if they don't get K.O.'d after being knocked off. I also don't mind his new Down Air tweak. I think it will be really satisfying when I manage to Sword Thrust through my other three opponents in a four player match, effectively sending them flying in all different directions.
Yeah, I think that would probably be a good idea to master the Hookshot with Toon Link in this game and I can see how his D-air can be useful for Free for All's. I haven't really checked yet if he bounces if he uses it as soon as he touches his opponent...

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Perhaps, you can see his Hookshot upgrades (as well any other tweaks he has received) here.

Yeah, I think that would probably be a good idea to master the Hookshot with Toon Link in this game and I can see how his now D-air can be useful for Free for All's. I haven't really checked yet if he bounces if he uses it as soon as he touches his opponent...
I played as him at Best Buy and when I tried his Down Air, there was no bouncing there. I believe there's a good video showing off all of his moves on YouTube. It was posted in another Toon Link thread.

Kidd Ryze

Smash Rookie
NNID
KiddRyze
3DS FC
4639-9938-5875
I would totally main him if they added his own moveset. There are tons of weapons and items in Zelda and they choose not to use them? Honestly, I'm kinda done with Toon Link in general. His attacks have good coverage, and thankfully he's faster then Link, but because he's speedy, his attacks lack strength and knockback, and I just can't get around that.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I've never mained Toon Link or Young Link, but I do find them fun to play on occasion. I'll probably do the same again.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Hooooly ****.

First off, no SH double Bair.
Second, Nair does 9 instead of 10 damage each hit.
dtilt does TINY damage. ftilt stays the same, that's nice.
utilt does freaking FIVE damage. -_____-
jab is 3-2-4, I think that's the same.
zair doesn't do the really great autocancel D:
other stuff, I have no idea what everything's about.

pikadrewuniverse

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4270-1564-7855
I think i might main toon link it depends on the other characters they reveal we haven't gotten a new Zelda character but we've gotten a new in almost every other franchise i would wait and see what happens.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I'll never stop playing Toon Link. Even when I wanted to at the peak of Brawl and Metaknight I couldn't swap mains.

Smash 4, I'll make an effort to pick someone new up from the beginning, but keep TL on the side.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I want to try other characters, and i'm a little irked his dair goes straight through the opponents this time around rather than bouncing off of them :p

I will continue to main him if I can't find a new main.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
Yeah, Toon is gonna end up being my second main most likely as I want to play Mega Man, but I don't think I could allow myself to drop him altogether.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I have to admit, I used Tink a lot in Brawl. I didn't use him for his projectiles but for being a faster Link with a better air game. Countless times I have spiked with that Dair. With various small changes, hopefully my two true Melee mains aren't abysmal like they were in Brawl, and a lot of great newcomers, I don't think I am going to find myself playing him nearly as often.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link was my main in Brawl and this time around he fits my play style even more! I love the buff to his air grab, but...this time he's only going to be my second main... Lucina will be my sm4sh main!

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
Toon Link was my main in Brawl, so I totally intend to still keep him as one of my mains.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
His tether reaches like a quadrillion kilometers so maybe

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I'm probably going to main Toon Link again for Smash 4, since I'm most familiar with him out of all the Brawl veterans (Wolf is cut and Dedede seems to have undergone quite a few heavy changes). I'll probably alternate between him and Sonic, and maybe Bowser Jr if he proves fun to play.

Spryly

Smash Rookie
RIP D-Air. Hopefully something nice comes out of the changes to his D-Air.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Guys, Think Dair, might have been buff with it's power, maybe. I mean, with the gif show it being used on Kirby on the e3 demo, the puffball wasn't even smoke and he still got kill of the top from being spike. I don't, I just hope there are some buffs that we don't know about or that the nerfs are neglect able.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
The D-air Nerf is too much for me, time to move on...
I would honestly consider his Dair tweak a buff as it seem to have way more knock-back when it connects with the opponent. So much so that I've seen people K.O. with it multiple times from the footage I've watched. I for one am looking forward to exploring Toon Link's sword thrust potential this time around when I get the game.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Watching Lunchables on Tourneylocator's stream has me confident that Toon Link is still going to be at least decent.

So yeah, probably maining him again.

D

Deleted member

I probably won't be playing tink in s4, sorry guys

he just doesn't feel anywhere near the top characters. I don't want to go through s4 feeling like "my character just gets dominated D:"

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I probably won't be playing tink in s4, sorry guys

he just doesn't feel anywhere near the top characters. I don't want to go through s4 feeling like "my character just gets dominated D:"
I guess I'll be up to the challenge! :smirk:

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I'll give him a shot. If he doesn't hurt my Melee Young Link too much, and he's actually decent, then I'll probably play him a lot.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Nope.

I'll still play him often, probably, but I'm just tired of having a Link as my main in every single game. Want to find someone new for the sake of variety.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
I'm giving up toon link. What I enjoyed about him is gone.

His back air is extremely slow now, and isn't the juggling move it used to be.
He can't short hop and double arrow.
His hookshot has tons of landing lag.
You can't drop a bomb without using hookshot.
He is less floaty.
His down air doesn't spike.

I know they improved other things, but it changes the focus of his gameplay. Now I'm just going to play Megaman, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt instead. I'm not saying he's bad, but he's lost his flow, the way that I like it, the feel that I enjoyed.

Good bye toon link. I'd even rather play REGULAR Link now.

D

Deleted member

I'm giving up toon link. What I enjoyed about him is gone.

His back air is extremely slow now, and isn't the juggling move it used to be.
He can't short hop and double arrow.
His hookshot has tons of landing lag.
You can't drop a bomb without using hookshot.
He is less floaty.
His down air doesn't spike.

I know they improved other things, but it changes the focus of his gameplay. Now I'm just going to play Megaman, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt instead. I'm not saying he's bad, but he's lost his flow, the way that I like it, the feel that I enjoyed.

Good bye toon link. I'd even rather play REGULAR Link now.
1. Bair kills now, which is better ish because he has more kill moves than brawl
2. Yes, but you can land with an arrow and instantly bomb throw, so its not as big of a loss
3. Thats only if you air dodge zair. If you ONLY zair, you get 0 landing lag. Also you can cancel air dodge zair with an instant bomb throw anyways lol
4. Yes, that is pretty lame
5. Thats... kind of a good thing
6. It does.

tink is definitely still better than regular link lol

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
1. Bair kills now, which is better ish because he has more kill moves than brawl
2. Yes, but you can land with an arrow and instantly bomb throw, so its not as big of a loss
3. Thats only if you air dodge zair. If you ONLY zair, you get 0 landing lag. Also you can cancel air dodge zair with an instant bomb throw anyways lol
4. Yes, that is pretty lame
5. Thats... kind of a good thing
6. It does.

tink is definitely still better than regular link lol
Maybe his Dair does spike, but doesn't it also go through opponents, thus putting you in danger too? (If you're over the edge)

The bomb throw cancelling stuff sounds cool though, I'll keep my eye out and mess around with him. I'm not saying he's bad, his flow is just different than what I liked before. Every character has a different 'flow' in this game, so this gen, who knows who I'll end up with.

Top Bottom