• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you satisfied or disappointed by the fact that there is a new patch?

Are you satisfied or disappointed that there is a new patch?

• Total voters

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
Would you say that you are satisfied or disappointed by the fact that there is a new patch for Smash 4? I would say I'm glad there is a new patch, since it keeps the game's balance fresh and also shows that the game's stats aren't necessarily going to be set in stone. Many people would disagree with that statement, but I personally don't think it's a bad thing that characters get minor to moderate changes; and it probably doesn't take too long to change one's strategy (although being a Mario main means I haven't had to deal with any of this). It also gives hope to lower-tier characters like Doc for hope to potentially receive a small buff someday. What's your opinion?
:4mario:

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I like it so far. The only "bad" thing about them to me is that the replays are always deleted. Other than that there's nothing to hate about new patches. Also Marth's Fair seems to have been buffed.

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
When a new patch comes out, people who uses characters that have been buffed rejoice and celebrate~

People who use characters that receive nerfs are mostly impartial towards the changes, since (for the majority of cases) only high-tiers get nerfed, and they'll still have redeeming traits that make them good characters~

And lastly, people who use characters that haven't received any changes whatsoever will probably be disappointed and the saddest out of all three cases~

So in all honesty, it really depends on who you ask~ :drshrug:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I should be happy with it, since on one hand, I feel like it's overall a good thing for the game, especially since Zero Suit Samus and Sheik got what I see as well deserved nerfs, but, overall, I feel very mixed about it, mostly negative honestly, since, on the other hand I feel patches are very harmful to my main.

As a Jigglypuff main, I've come to loathe how every patch, we get absolutely nothing, and if you get nothing every patch while everyone else slowly becomes stronger, isn't that the same as becoming weaker, just indirectly? And for Jigglypuff, I'll be honest, I think there's no hope that we'll ever get anything, I think we'll be ignored forever, and continually become weaker and weaker overtime as a result. If your wondering why I think that way, it's because we haven't gotten a single non-bugfix change, and while I'm not entirely sure on this, I do believe we're quite literally the only character in the game that hasn't, it's clear and obvious to me that the balance team just flat out doesn't care about us, and I really don't expect that to ever change. So, because of that, while I feel like it's overall better for the game, I can't really ever be happy with it, since it's just going to make everything more painful for us Jigglypuff mains. This shouldn't ruin the enjoyment of anyone else though, they (obviously) have the right to be happy.

Last edited:

unoclay

Smash Rookie
I havent played it yet but even as someone who's best characters are Sheik and ZSS, i think the new DLC characters need nerfed badly. So im happy about it.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
I'm only annoyed at the people calling corrin and cloud bad characters, honestly. (even though their nerfs barely did anything to their viability)

but mewtwo and samus tho

Last edited:

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
I think there's no hope that we'll ever get anything
Maybe Jigglypuff already met the balancing needs of the cast since day one? l don't know about that for sure, but with how irrelevant 'Puff is to almost everyone, there really isn't an incentive to change much. It took them 15 patches to change Samus's fsmash so it doesn't whiff when the opponent's practically kissing her visor, and l'm sure plenty of Samuses were upset at that. Sorry about your loss of change.

Just reading the patch notes is kinda interesting. Maybe they gave Samus enough buffs that l'll actually play her some. Cloud's aerial FT is a bummer (a friend showed me that and l thought it was also nerfed on the ground. You can imagine the seizure l had) and Corrin getting slower sounds off-putting. lt's probably not going to be too bad for zim (trangender pronoun, because l feel we shouldn't be partial to our preferences for some reason), Corrin wasn't that fast anyway. l can't get used to seeing Sheik's fthrow's angle. lt's so weird.

Mewtwo with Sheik's running speed. l was already interested in him before, but now? Sign me up, Mewtwo mains. Also good to see the weight buffs. Also heard about at least Lucina's fair now being something of a combo tool. Sounds great.

For me, buffs are things l'll always appreciate, but it takes time to get used to nerfs. ln the end, they're always fine and you might even feel like they never had something different to begin with.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I love it. It was a complete surprise and not only it buffed three of my mains (Mewtwo, Charizard and Palutena) but it also gave us the much needed nerfs to Sheik and Zero Suit Samus. Best patch EVER.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
and while I'm not entirely sure on this, I do believe we're quite literally the only character in the game that hasn't, it's clear and obvious to me that the balance team just flat out doesn't care about us, and I really don't expect that to ever change. So, because of that, while I feel like it's overall better for the game, I can't really ever be happy with it, since it's just going to make everything more painful for us Jigglypuff mains. This shouldn't ruin the enjoyment of anyone else though, they (obviously) have the right to be happy.
:4dedede:is right there with you. Not a single buff since release even though he obviously needs some.

I'm convinced that they're going to address these characters but just haven't gotten around to it yet. It's the only thing that makes sense, there's no way the balance team doesn't release these characters are underpowered.

And it's not becausee he's OP in wifi, casual play or FFAs because they've buffed characters like :4bowser::4ganondorf: several times and nerfed characters like :4metaknight::4sheik:.

Last edited:

Catman856

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1091-9126-2299
honestly this has to be one of the most s-h-!-t-t-y patches ever! like seriously, why did they nerft zss??????

Last edited:

Jumpo

Smash Cadet
I am a Sheik main and am just disappointed that they nerfed one of her only kill options, I wouldn't have minded any kind of nerf as long as they didn't make it ever harder for her to kill. Also I feel like the mk one was harsh and I don't even use mk. Oh and the peach infinite being removed because that is so hype to see mid match :(

ScarletShepherd24M

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.22
with all the dlc out, I wonder how many patches will come out in the future. I was expecting at least a couple after corin/cloud/bayo, but makes me wonder further. How long will the game be supported with patches, and whether or not they can be done by people outside the main development team. God knows they need a little time off. Doesn't really affect me either way, I'll adjust to it as do the other dedicated players with their mains

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I'm happy that Sheik got nerfed, but they didn't address her godly neutral game at all (except for the minor range nerf on needles). She's not OP because of her throw combos, she's OP because her moves have too little startup, endlag and shield disadvantage, making her extremely difficult to punish, zone or approach.

unoclay

Smash Rookie
Having now played a bit with the new ZSS and Sheik, im still ok with it. Both are my main characters, but given the professional opinions, i want the game to be balanced as much as possible, and i dont have a problem with their current reduction. Not yet, anyway.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
I'm for the most part happy but something feels off...

I'm happy that the meta game is more balanced and my main Diddy Kong is much more viable now.

However.... Call me crazy but I sort of liked Sheik being overpowered because playing at a disadvantage always gave me such satisfaction when I won. Now it feels like any other win.

But I really like this patch.

1ne Up

Smash Rookie
NNID
1ne_Up
I'm overall content with the batch of nerfs/buffs but i think instead of nerfing the good chars buff the bad ones and call it a night. If there is another patch that does not nerf anything but buffs the bottom 10-15 chars i would be perfectly content with that. I mean **** i'm content af as it is i just want patching to stop so the meta can chill out

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
As a Mii it makes my life easier
As a Roy it makes my life easier
But as a content creator the replays are dead

So I'm kinda conflicted

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884
I'm a bit sad ZSS got so many Nerfs, but otherwise I like it. Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin all felt like they needed Nerfs, and considering the last patch came off like it might have been the "Last" patch, I Was worried those new 3 wouldn't get balanced like everyone else has had multiple times of.

Now I just hope Rosalina is nerfed too.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I should be happy with it, since on one hand, I feel like it's overall a good thing for the game, especially since Zero Suit Samus and Sheik got what I see as well deserved nerfs, but, overall, I feel very mixed about it, mostly negative honestly, since, on the other hand I feel patches are very harmful to my main.

As a Jigglypuff main, I've come to loathe how every patch, we get absolutely nothing, and if you get nothing every patch while everyone else slowly becomes stronger, isn't that the same as becoming weaker, just indirectly? And for Jigglypuff, I'll be honest, I think there's no hope that we'll ever get anything, I think we'll be ignored forever, and continually become weaker and weaker overtime as a result. If your wondering why I think that way, it's because we haven't gotten a single non-bugfix change, and while I'm not entirely sure on this, I do believe we're quite literally the only character in the game that hasn't, it's clear and obvious to me that the balance team just flat out doesn't care about us, and I really don't expect that to ever change. So, because of that, while I feel like it's overall better for the game, I can't really ever be happy with it, since it's just going to make everything more painful for us Jigglypuff mains. This shouldn't ruin the enjoyment of anyone else though, they (obviously) have the right to be happy.
It could be worse. We could be Dedede with random nerfs.

But srrsly, I really hope this means that Sakurai believes the character has potential or knows something about her that we don't (Same with Dedede), and that he isn't just not realizing she's low tier or forgetting about her

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I'm happy that Sheik got nerfed, but they didn't address her godly neutral game at all (except for the minor range nerf on needles). She's not OP because of her throw combos, she's OP because her moves have too little startup, endlag and shield disadvantage, making her extremely difficult to punish, zone or approach.
I mean they nerfed her fair as well as her fthrow and dthrow. Needle camping was nerfed pretty badly. Her neutral definitely is worse.

They shouldn't and won't touch her frame data because that's her niche, that's what makes her sheik. She's supposed to be a quick lagless ninja type but with poor killing power. If they gave her lag she wouldn't be sheik anymore.

At this point her killing power is so bad on stage that so many characters can just jank out wins because she's dealing with opponents with lots of rage so often. And she's gotten significantly lighter.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Depends on which side of the fence you're on. On one hand, I love the patch:

- Some of the characters I play got buffs (:4bowser:,:4robinm:) while one of them only got slight nerfs (:4cloud:).

- Some characters got MUCH needed buffs (:4charizard:,:4ganondorf:, :4samus:, :4zelda: to name a few).

- :4corrin:/:4corrinf:'s Counter Surge and :4bayonetta:'s Witch Time got the nerf hammer, to the rejoice of many.

- And finally, after many suns and moons, the hammer hath striketh upon :4sheik: and :4zss:. Wouldn't have mind seeing :rosalina: at least take a glancing hit, but I'll make due with two of the Bash Sisters going down.

On the other hand:

- Some of the nerfs were unnecessary (:4corrin:/:4corrinf:'s walk/run speed (Lol wut), most of what :4metaknight: got.)

- Some characters were hardly, if ever, touched when they really needed it (:4dedede:, :4jigglypuff:)

- My main :4luigi: was untouched (main bias).

- The patches keep deleting my replays.

Last edited:

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
Supremely happy with the patch, I just wish there was some warning. All of my replays went up in a puff of smoke before I could record them properly.

O Rai

Smash Rookie
Happy only cause you cant just add DLC and leave it at that, i.e. what if bayo or corrin where MK brawl broken and the game was left alone. Otherwise its pretty meh simply because viable characters that dont recieve anything start to become less viable if everything else around them becomes stronger. Ness for example, no one really sees a ness around in higher places unless its the likes of F.O.W. or Nakat (etc.) and the overall power and speed of Ness starts to decrease if everything else gets faster and heavier.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
It's awesome because it's about time some of the top tier characters were nerfed to be more fair.

It kinda sucks because there are still some characters that barely get any attention of sorts. I use Roy, and while he did get a few buffs, he had never gotten a buff that massively improved his gameplan. Because of that, I can totally relate to the mains of characters that barely get buffed through patches. I even get a little jealous of people who main characters like Mewtwo or Samus, who have received tons of beneficial buffs. It must feel amazing to see that your character is finally viable. :T

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
For me the only thing keeping this patch from being amazing is the lack of Jigglybuffs.

Think of it this way: it'll eventually get to a point where only Jigglypuff will be left on the To Buff list, and then they'll have no choice but to buff her.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
This patch was pretty good. Honestly I'm more bothered by the fact we got it with no warning rather than what actually got patch. I'd kinda like to know when they're finally gonna stop patches or even what their overall goal they're trying to achieve is with patches.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Corrin nerfs(Well, more like tweaks, being brutally honest) aside, pretty satisfied with this patch.

....Mostly so I can say to folks who thought we wouldn't be getting anymore patches "WELL, LOOK WHO'S WRONG!" in DBZ Abridged Krillin's voice. :p

randomguy1235

Smash Apprentice

Dedede has only gotten nerfs, despite him being a bottom 5 character. Honestly, while I'm ecstatic that the development team (because of Sakurai's absence) was finally able to fix some fundamental balance issues, the fact that they've ignored D3, Jiggs, and Duck Hunt (for the most part) leaves a bitter taste for me

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
  • Witch Time nerf
  • Counter Surge nerf
  • Cloud nerfs :demon:
  • Much needed Sheik nerfs
  • More Mewtwo buffs
Overall, a pretty fantastic patch. Well worth the lost replays in my eyes, going off what we know so far, anyway.

Last edited:

The Abusive Botanist

Smash Rookie
When I looked over Suited-Samus, I found a huge wall of buffs. She really needed that.
"FOR GODS SAKE, PUT SOME CLOTHES ON!!!" "I fight better without a metal suit"

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
"WELL, LOOK WHO'S WRONG!" in DBZ Abridged Krillin's voice.
lkr? l never understood why people thought 1.1.4 was the last balance patch. All the final presentation said, essentially, was "Hey, no more hype stuff like videos or DLC, m'kay? We've sorta haven't had sleep for 3 years. You won't mind, right?"

NOTHING ABOUT PATCHES

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Love it love it love it love it love it. Honestly, I think this patch was one of the very best the game's ever gotten. It gave a ton of buffs to characters who really needed them, and hit the top tiers in meaningful ways. I do think that we need Ganon, Duck Hunt, Jigglypuff, and Rosalina to be addressed in the next one (assuming there is another one), but I really have nothing negative to say about this.

Except that they nerfed Corrin's mobility. That's actually crap. Like, WHY?

SalemtheEngineer

Smash n00b
Still waiting for my main to get buffed :4link:. He only got slight changes.

I'm glad:4mewtwo: got buffed, he's actually fun to play now.

Last edited:

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
It was a much needed patch because most of the DLC fighters were pretty strong. It's like Sakurai was telling us that you need to pay extra if you want a strong character. I can't say I agree with the nerfs on ZSS and Sheik (who I was going to pick up) but I feel like the game overall is more balanced than it has ever been.

Top Bottom