• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are You Ready For This? Mobile, Alabama Tourney

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

First, here's the AiB tourney page. Please click "I am attending."

Auburn and Alabama both have away games, so we're gonna be bored. The solution is here.

This tournament will be held at the La Quinta Inn and Suites in Satsuma, Alabama. We will have Brawl Singles and Doubles with the hope of a Brawl Plus side tournament. More details on that to come. If we have a good enough turn-out and enough interest, then we will see about a sequel to this event.

There will be a $5 door fee for spectators and participants. Brawl Singles will have a $10 entry fee. Brawl Doubles will be $10 a team and $5 a player. Brawl Plus Singles will be $5 a player.

Doors Open at 10:00am.

Brawl Doubles start around 11:30am.

We need set-ups. Televisions, Wii's, and power strips will be much appreciated. SD cards and the Homebrew Channel will be needed to use each Wii in the Brawl Plus Tournament. We will provide as many SD cards, but if you have one, bring it and we will update it to the latest Tournament Standard Plussery Set.

Strictly no alcohol allowed and smoking will be prohibited indoors.

Food and drink are allowed, but not provided. There is a McDonald's, Arby's, and Waffle House close by with more restaurants a little farther away. You will only be charged the door fee once if you choose to leave and come back.

Venue:

Name: La Quinta Inn and Suites
Address: 6104 Old Highway 43
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Notes: The hotel is a big yellow building with red roof.

Get off of I-65 at Exit 19. Turn left and head south down Highway 43. After less than a mile you should see a Pilot Station. Turn left again just past the Pilot station onto Old Highway 43 heading north.
Map: Yahoo Maps

General Rules courtesy of SBR Recommended Ruleset from Smash World Forums. Link

General rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Excessive planking is considered stalling and will result in a DQ. You may only grab the ledge 35 times.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Additional Rules for Doubles Play:

* Life Stealing is allowed

* Set team attack to ON

Stage List:

Starter Stages:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter Pick Stages:

Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 2
Delfino Plaza
Rainbow Cruise
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Pictochat

Set-Ups:

TV's:

1.) Ryker
2.) Ryker
3.) M3t
4.) Ruse
5.) Reflex
6.) Fake George
7.) Fake George
8.)
9.)
10.)

Wii's:

1.) Ryker
2.) M3t
3.) Ruse
4.) Hager
5.) Reflex
6.) Fake George
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)

Winnar

Smash Lord
:( I'd love to go and support but that's over 4 hours from my college D:

I hope it goes well! :D Good luck to everyone who goes :D

Edit - ...but there is a very slight chance I might be going to this anyway.

We'll see as it gets closer :D

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Figure most people will sign-up closer to the date. Trying to gauge interest because Hollywood asked me for a rough head count. I said about 25 and that includes locals who aren't as good as some people. Besides, it's nice to have it on the calendar.

FloridaMeister

Smash Apprentice
From Pensacola:
- Mankosuki: will go to any future ones, but since it's the girlfriend's birthday, I can't make this.
- Ruse: Yes
- HolyChef: Comes back this month, so he'd be down to go.
- SkaterBaj: leaving Pensacola this month so won't make it.
- Dan: don't see much from him anymore, but he still shows to tournaments every now and then..

There's also Ragnarok in AL and possibly a few more guys from Panhandle Manhandlers if they're up for it. I suspect you'd also get about 5 from Tallahassee, as long as there's not some other tournament that comes along that day. Maybe Fake George from Louisiana? He's pretty badass like that.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Huntsville might be forming a carpool to this.

Any idea on how many locals will be there?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
We've got the two of us and about 5 more we suspect will be coming. Other than that, we plan on putting up fliers at the universities. If you're a smasher, the giant Captain Falcon will probably catch your eye. Don't expect any locals to show up better than M3t and I though. We have a spammy MK that probably places next.

I don't know Ragnarok, so I'm not talking about him.

Fake George posted something in the Alabama thread if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the Pensacola info. We appreciate the support. If Hollywood Video is up for it, we'll probably continue to make these at whatever interval seems to work. If not, then it'll be awhile to find another venue. Maybe the University of South Alabama. I'm an incoming freshman, but I've got some connections in the Honor's Program that might net me a ballroom or something.

About Pictochat. When we were looking through the stages and deciding, that and PS2 were probably the two I had the most reservations about. Personally, I don't like Castle Siege (for the walk-off), but M3t talked me into it. We can let George have the Pictochat glitch.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
When it gets closer to the date (Late August) I'll need to know a number of Wii's/TV's. The district manager wants some logistics.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Castle Siege is a fine counter pick. There's a walk off but it's not like it's hard to avoid your opponent on that part of the stage.

Pokemon Stadium 2 is not an okay counter pick. The air part is absolute trash and the electric part is way too glitchy.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Yes, that's the one I think I'm going to remove. Castle siege still has the shenanigans that go on due to level change parts, but it's not that big of a deal. That's the reason it's there.

I'm also considering moving Yoshi's Island to CP. I've seen it done multiple places and I'm not sure what I feel on the matter.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Leave Yoshi's Story (brawl) in neutral. The ONLY thing wrong with your stage list as is would be PS2, IMO.

Nobody likes this stage and it's very likely that even if it's legal no one will choose it. That's what happened at LasT Smash 3 where there were 90+ people. Not one person chose PS2 as CP.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
You need an odd number of starter stages in order to properly strike. I recommend adding a 5th stage to the list, Lylat or PS1 seem to be the most common. Three stages on strike would be horrible, since Diddys/ ICs would probably use FD and Smashville as a counterpick stage, and you can't get rid of both. Striking is supposed to get the first game to be on a stage that both players feel is fair for the matchup.

But yeah, I'm interested in this. The $5 fee for spectators kinda sucks, though. I'll have a better idea whether or not I'm going as this gets closer.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
Leave Yoshi's Story (brawl) in neutral. The ONLY thing wrong with your stage list as is would be PS2, IMO.

Nobody likes this stage and it's very likely that even if it's legal no one will choose it. That's what happened at LasT Smash 3 where there were 90+ people. Not one person chose PS2 as CP.
I actually counter picked PS2 at LasT Smash 3! I think the stage is awkwardly neat : D

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
i could probably get some people to come to this for Brawl+. That would be about the only reason for me to come. (and to see those AL people i <3)

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
That's the reason for Brawl+. No one plays it. I thing it's fun for a change (I still don't know who I main though). I need people to bring SD Cards and homebrewed Wiis if possible. It may take to long to finish due to lack of stations, in which case we'll probably end up moving to random character or low tier side tournament. Possibly random character doubles? Always need a back-up plan.

@Slam:

It's not thaaaat bad, but there is no smash scene whatsoever. I'm trying to remedy that.

Winnar

Smash Lord
That's the reason for Brawl+. No one plays it. I thing it's fun for a change (I still don't know who I main though). I need people to bring SD Cards and homebrewed Wiis if possible. It may take to long to finish due to lack of stations, in which case we'll probably end up moving to random character or low tier side tournament. Possibly random character doubles? Always need a back-up plan.

@Slam:

It's not thaaaat bad, but there is no smash scene whatsoever. I'm trying to remedy that.
Brawl+ is pretty terrible :(

Why not just have a melee side tournament?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I suck at Melee, I'm decent at B+. If I'm going to put this together, I'll indulge myself a little.

Not that there won't be that one Melee station at every tourney.

PK THUNDER!!!

Smash Rookie
There's a 99.9999% chance I'm gonna be there, I only have to drive 2 hours. Are the players in mobile any good? How old do you have do be to compete? Will I have to pay $15 (door fee+contestant fee)?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
There's a 99.9999% chance I'm gonna be there, I only have to drive 2 hours. Are the players in mobile any good? In my experience, not too good after about three of us. How old do you have do be to compete? No age limit. Will I have to pay $15 (door fee+contestant fee)? Yes. We need to pay the venue owners and I can't afford to pay it out of pocket.
That about answer it?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
There's a team sign-up thread on the AiB page. If you can post your teams there it would be a lot of help.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Ruse, I'll consider it, but I'd probably bring some Louisiana with me. I'll definitely keep you in mind, though.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I can supply very limited housing in my dorm room. Like 3 people max, and that's crowded.

I thoroughly recommend staying with another smasher along the way and carpooling down from there.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I have a couple of questions about the rules.

Again, if you plan on stage striking, which is what it looks like, you need an odd number of stages. What stage do you plan on adding?

Also, I didn't see anything about the prize payouts. What kind of split do you plan on using?

Hagar

Smash Cadet
Definitely coming to this. I can bring: wii, wii component cables(only work with hdtvs), brawl, a few sd cards, wii mote, nunchuck, (1) 1st party gamecube controller, (2) 3rd party gamecube controllers. If I absolutely had to I could bring two small 13" SDTVs because I only live 30 minutes away.

MKplayer

Smash Rookie
I'll be there for the doubles. You should really post the times like they did on the AIB page.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
*%$#, I can't go because of the PSAT. It's on the exact same day and time.
You may miss doubles, but call me and see if you can make singles when you're done. I'll give you my number.

As for the time, I apologize for the hold up. It's gonna be doors open at 10:00am and Brawl Doubles at 11:30am. Singles when we get there. We're telling people 2:00pm or later because we have to give Hollywood some ballpark figures.

I'm updating the OP with times now.

I have a friend from the General Silliness forum on AiB. I go there a lot. He's trying to attend and is looking into getting a hotel room. Saraland is, to quote my co-host, the hotel hub of the area. You can walk outside the venue and find three or four. If anyone is worried about it, I plan on going to the hotels this weekend to find out rates and such offline to be certain about them.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I have a couple of questions about the rules.

Again, if you plan on stage striking, which is what it looks like, you need an odd number of stages. What stage do you plan on adding?

Also, I didn't see anything about the prize payouts. What kind of split do you plan on using?
I'm adding Lylat Cruise right now.

We plan on using 70-20-10 split, but I forgot to add it to the OP. If there are 50+ for whatever reason, I'll change it to include a prize for fourth.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Now, it's getting close enough that I need a list of set-ups. If you can bring one, bring it. TVs and Wiis.

If you're not sure, I won't list you in the OP, but bring it anyway if you can. I'd love to have enough set-ups for the tournament that I could leave one set-up with Melee for the people who still prefer it and one where I can hook my XBox up so I can play a few of you in BlazBlue later.

I've got to bring chairs and such, so an estimated number of set-ups would be nice.

Top Bottom