• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you ****ing serious IGN?

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
The problem I have with IGN's Smashcast is that they're making a lot of assumptions and stating them as fact for things that they havent unlocked or finished yet such as Wolf playing the same as Fox...they dont know that...all videos claim otherwise but no, they're saying it

Its bad journalism to do that

Ryven

Smash Cadet
Note: Didn't listen to the podcast, just read the summary posted upthread.

So... wait... did they seriously complain about SSE? The single player mode which almost everyone will play once to practice, unlock characters, and watch some cutscenes, and then ditch so they can spend the next six years playing multiplayer?

The game that's actually being sold here is the one that involves beating up other people. If Brawl is as good as Melee or Smash 64, it could have NO single player mode at all and be on my short list of games that are so close to perfect I can't complain. (In fact, 64 did have almost no single player...)

They're on a completely different wavelength from almost everyone who plays a lot of smash, either casually or competitively. Like, somewhere in another dimension, where people play fighting games for their riveting storylines and deep single-player experiences. 00;;

(Did one of them actually admit to doing nothing but spamming thunder, and did he hit often enough to provoke complaints from the others? Seriously? They probably shouldn't let the same people rate every genre of game... it makes them look silly. Unless he's just the worst fighter enthusiast ever...)

Iboid

Smash Apprentice
Why does nobody like the ending? I thought it was a good way to end it. What, did people want everybody jumping around and patting themselves on the back? Did you guys think it would end with Mario, and then the others looking off the cliff and into the sunset?

...that would have been pretty awesome, but the ending is cool as it is.

And I wouldn't listen to them. It's their opinion, not yours.

Rash

Smash Ace
I typically agree with IGN on pretty much everything. They never seem overly biased, especially with reviews. I actually enjoy seeing Bozon give games 7.9 because it shows that he knows what it takes to make a ture 8-worthy game. Also, unlike many others, he seemed appreciative with the difficulty in Trauma Center: New Blood, with I like because it shows that he won't take away points from a game for offering too much of a challenge, especially when there's an easy mode at everybody's fingertips.

However, the podcast kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. The guys seemed to play the game a lot, sure, but they've only had it for a day. Everyone knows that it takes TIME to truly appreciate a Smash Brothers game, and one day (regardless of how many hours of that day were spent) just doesn't cut it. These guys still have to play with all the characters, collect/read the trophies, play events (co-op and not), try out Multi-Man Melee and Home Run Contest (co-op online and not), tinker with the Coin Launcher, put some more time into the Stage Builder, and put more time into the SSE (especially when it comes to sticker-upgrades and using trophy stands). There's also a lot of other content that they haven't gone over yet, like receiving stages from Nintendo, sending/receiving screenshots, recording video, etc. You can't just play the game for one day (again, regardless of how many hours), and judge the game solely on the great multiplayer and 35% of the SSE. There's so much more content there that needs to be explored in order to provide a true image of the game, and it doesn't look like IGN (or anyone else) will be able to experience the game in full until they actually have the English version of it.

In that sense, I can't believe that people are taking the podcast as the final word.

Hell, what difficulty were they playing in the SSE? Hopefully Very Hard or Intense.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Okay, from what I've read about the podcast, IGN's opinion isn't that bad. I think you guys are just a bunch of fanboys. First of all, it's their opinion, second, I can already forsee that this game isn't as good as a Galaxy or a Zelda.

By the way, I played Twilight Princess, and to be honest, it didn't grip me. It surely wasn't the best Wii game, it really didn't deserve a 10 anyway. IGN was right about that. I can even understand if they gave the game an eight. I also don't expect Brawl to have anything higher than a nine. Brawl is just another party game, the main focus lies on multiplayer.

I even dare to say that Brawl is equally as fun as Halo 3, so if Brawl would get a higher score, then it should be about equal as Halo 3. I mean, the Super Smash Bros. series is a great series, I admit, but for me it has also been on the number one position of the most overrated fighting game. Surely the stage builder gives it a higher replay value, but in the end it's just some versus some. There's no change in that.

Maybe I've been playing too much sequels, but I do think you guys need to realize that a sequel rarely gets high points. And Smash may be great, it's not the best.

Rash

Smash Ace
Brawl should probably get the same scores as Halo 3. I mean, it does more for Smash Brothers than Halo 3 does for Halo, and brings a lot more content to the table than we've seen before, even in similar fashion. Seeing it get less scores would be horrifying, especially since Halo 3 is a tad overrated (even though it's really fun and probably my favorite of the series (just because of online)).

Gojithefox

Smash Cadet
They're complaints are not completely unfounded. Basically, they are saying that SSE is a bit dissapointing because the enemies are not very interesting when they have plenty of official Nintendo enemies (Koopas, Metroids, etc.) that they could have used instead. They were also dissapointed that bosses don't take a specific strategy to beat. It's just a beat-em-up instead of thinking of the right way to beat them ala Zelda. Those reasons are valid.

If it helps, they do say that the multiplayer and the stage editor are rock solid.
That's not valid. The *best* that can be done in this type of situation is develop a boss that has specific weak-spots. There are several different characters, unlike in Zelda games where there is one. Realize what the demographic of the game was geared to. I know that if I had to play a boss like it were a Zelda game, I'd be pissed. I despise Zelda games.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
SSE is crap? I don't buy it.

I don't buy Brawl for SSE anyway, but it's gonna be ****ing awesome.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Who cares about SSE? Smash is all about tournaments and collecting and unlocking and everything Smash related...

shinnok-fan64

Smash Apprentice
Galaxy is really overrated, it gets boring REAL quick imo.

LOZ:TP is good, but isn't as amazing as i once thought.

SSBB will much better than both of them, especially since it has online, and AMAZING multiplayer. It also has A TON of extra solo stuff to do.

Rash

Smash Ace
SSE can't be any worse than the Adventure Mode in Melee. I mean, the best level in that mode was the first one because it was like a platformer. I figure that if Brawl brings that style to the entire SSE, it's really only an improvement on the Adventure Mode in general. Then, take into account the bevy of other features in the game and you get a package that's undeniably bigger and better overall than Melee in pretty much every way.

And of course, that's what I've been saying about Brawl for a while now.

WarbL

Smash Rookie
I just listened to most of it, in a room full of people they couldn't understand how to wavedash, one of them thought it even had to do with the analog shield. lol at ign

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
I lestened to it, and don't beleive them when they say that SSE is disappointing cuz they have horrible reasons. I wanna see Matt do his take on it, at least he's not a complete noob at gaming like the others.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
The SSE turned out like a Kirby game lol. I agree with Ign, it was too generic, and it wasn't really well planed out. It's a shame, I'll be honest, it is. If they made a bare bones Adventure mode like in Melee, we could have had a full moveset for Toon Link, Falco, Ganondorf, and Wolf. I would take that over the SSE any day!

mario-man

Smash Lord
Yeah, from what I know, they beat Taboo, and then credits. lol.

But anyway, SSE is basically a Kirby game. So, when was the last time a Kirby game was mind-blowing?
When's the last time Sakurai got one of the writers from Final Fantasy to help him write a Kirby game.....

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
When's the last time Sakurai got one of the writers from Final Fantasy to help him write a Kirby game.....
lol, couldn't say it bettter myself.

On the the other hand we SHOULD all whine about how slightly lacking SSE is beacuse that is of course the only thing in the game, it's not like the game has online, or multiplayer, or a stagebuilder. (sarcasm)

This is just like the roster, you guys whine about a perfectly decent thing in the game as if it is the only thing in the game and it is ruined.

gangstajuice02

Smash Ace
don't believe them that's just an OPINION!! Let's wait for Gametrailers review to see if it gets a perfect overall score!!

Dark Google

Smash Cadet
Why would it get a perfect score when it's not a perfect game? Srsly, I'm as big a SSBB fanboy as it gets, I'm importing a Wii just to play this game, but it does NOT deserve a perfect score.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I hate how they turn 180 degrees from the previews when it's time to review. They did that to NiGHTS, those mother****ers...

Preview:
"Overall the game is a solid effort and we can't wait to try the final build"

Review:
"The game lacks polish in many areas and fails to make up for it in others. No real replay value also hinders it"

WTF?

alexer34

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this has been said, didn't read the full topic.

IGN is just a bunch of gamers who almost always give Nintendo a bad rating, do not count what they think..

mario-man

Smash Lord
LOL Mario got nerfed!!! What n00bs!!! No he isn't, I can tell just from the videos!! lol IGN just lost some credibility in my eyes. hahahaha

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I bet they played on Easy Mode that's why they said it was boring.
I'm bet that to. Even the new smashers have the balls to put it on Normal or Hard even when they didn't practice at first. Smash is globle, of course it's going to get a great score.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
they gave thier credibility away when they said kirby is exactly the same...

they dont know melee enough to judge this game....

theyre just another group of smash n00bs caught up in a smash elitist world...

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
As for FOX News. Much of that channel isn't half bad. They are the only conservative news channel in an overly liberal media. Don't trash them when they are the only ones who aren't pushing liberal agendas. As most other news channels look equally stupid to conservatives.

Except for Fox News's Mass Effect fiasco. They need to apologize for that. Define journalistic intergrity and then take the exact opposite. They really screwed up with that one.
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHa.

The majority of the main stream media news outlets are trash, and Fox news takes the cake at being the worst of the worst. Absolutely no journalistic integrity at all, they censor news, people, and ideas on a daily basis, and they've been caught doing so over and over.

They push the neo-con warmonger agenda, which is just as anti-American as the neo-liberal agenda. Anyone who gets caught up in the false left-right paradigm is a complete fool.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I always wanted a decent amount of strategy to take place in the boss fights. Ridley's somewhat famous weakspots, his mouth and his chest should've been in brawl. I really hate how every boss fights the same way as Master Hand. Even a small amount of strategy should've been incorporated. Keep Ridley's tail invincible, allow him to be stunned when his mouth is attacked, and other neat tricks. Ridley doesn't even spit fire like he does in every other Metroid game.

Super Smash Bros Brawl seems too straight forward. Include several puzzles or at least cutscenes that reveal an objective that you need to complete, or revealing a boss's weak point. Or even small side quests, such as bringing a Star Rod or something to an npc. SSE, could've been much more than it turned out to be. I guess nintendo either didn't want to delay the game further or ran out of disk space.... NO JOHNS!!

The ending of Brawl is pretty disappointing. I expected (Insert the character you are using here) to defeat (Insert name of final boss here). And then have the final boss drop a smash ball and start restoring his health. You then have to break the smash ball, whittle down the boss's health again and use the final smash to finish him off. That would be an extremely satisfying ending. At least include different endings for how well you perform, what character you used, and the difficulty setting.

Brawl didn't turn out bad, it just didn't meet the ridiculously huge expectations of the public. My only complaint... Samus is once again, by herself.

M.K

Level 55
HEY, I like On the Record with Greta! Don't diss Fox News!

Also, IGN is the dumbest fuc|< I've ever seen, don't trust one word they say.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Still, I'm pissed that Sakurai made the SSE. I think there is some sort of developers confrence and Sakurai is getting interviewed. I want some explanations. Becaue if they did something like, "We're done with characters now! Let's start a single player mode" I will MAKE SURE that when the next Smash is out, it is headed by someone other than Sakurai (lol).

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
HEY, I like On the Record with Greta! Don't diss Fox News!

Also, IGN is the dumbest fuc|< I've ever seen, don't trust one word they say.
You can judge for yourself a bad mode. That is what the SSE did. Ironically, it probably took up tons of time to complete. Like I said, if you are lookig for a stroy mode go play Metroid or Zelda, Smash is for gameplay just like Mario. They shouldn't have developed the SSE and spent that effort on either adding characters or de-cloning ones they already added.

A few months down the road, the SSE will be left as a simple (poor) memory. The multiplayer is there to last for years. It could have been more robust!

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
Nah.
SSE has a party system that makes you choose any character out of the people you recruited. I suppose as soon as the game ends, he's in your party and you can use him and any mission... I think.
I hope this is true, I'd love to be able to play any level with any character I want, with any pair I want. This is probably true, given Sonic's introduction video from the DOJO had him and Mario in a Subspace Emissary level.

Also, am I the only one who's excited for the Subspace Emissary? Besides some crap looking levels (Such as that ugly purple final level) I think it looks like a blast and will be tons of fun to play. I loved the Smash series for bringing tons of video game characters to fight, but seeing them work together is awesome too.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Never, but that doesn't mean anything since I was expecting something more complex with less plot holes.

I posted this in a thread earlier but I added some new stuff.

I have to say this after watching all the Subspace cutscenes: It's really disappointing.
There are way too many plotholes
(such as Taboo, the Ancient Minister's motivations, Master Hand being a good guy, GDorf working for the Master Hand, Snake on the Halbeard, G+W's situation, etc.).

According to the Dojo:

The Adventure mode also emphasizes character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens... It’s really something you won’t see anywhere else.
I'm not seeing any of this. Where are the personal backstories in this game? I see no
Samus flashbacks of her traumatic experience at the age of three, no Lucas reliving having to fight Claus again, etc
. Honestly, I think most of us could've made a better storyline than this. Heck, the original bus storyline would've been more interesting since it has buses.

The character development is very minor and is only seen in
Lucas and Dedede and that's not a whole lot in each of them.

Am I still going to play this mode, yes, partly for the cutscenes so I can finally make AMVs again.

If I headed this part of the project, I would've done something more interesting. It'd be like other fighting games, but I'm not trying for pure originality.

For example, here's a storyline involving Pikachu:

The original Pikachu, his father, was one of the best in the original. In between SSB and Melee, Pikachu had an injury that made his athletic abilities lessen. Pikachu thought his son wasn't ready to continue the family tradition and went back into the fray.

Pichu managed to sneak in in order to show his father that he was ready. It turns out that he wasn't ready. After Melee, his father trained him to be a better fighter because he was getting on in years. When his father said he was finally ready, Pichu finally evolved and went off to take his father's place.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
gamespot is going to give it 2/10 ...it deserves a 12/10
No, reallistically it deserves an 8/10.

Seriously, we only got 13 new characters and some of them were based of other characters, or have moves off other characters (Lucas, ROB, Lucario, Wolf, ). Let me mention something. I think Brawl was rushed, why? Well, let's take a look at the newcomers we were shown first:

Meta Knight: The only move he has that is similar to another's is his Tornado-Mario's

Pit: Completely original

Wario: Completely Original

ZSS: Completely Original

Snake: Completely Original

Then, Sakurai started the Dojo to hype the game. Let's put it this way. The Dojo probably screwed us in the end. Here is how:

Sakurai started his daily updates on the Dojo on May 22nd 2007. This was ONLY there to cause hype and excitement (obviously). Now, the date he started updating was HORRIBLE AND STUPID! When he started updating, people assumed that Brawl was at it's tail end of development. However, due to the delay we saw, it was not. Nintendo's Reggie said that the release date was Dec 3rd to cause more hype. Again, bad idea.

When fans heard the first delay they were clammering, and probably started cancelling pre-orders. Not good for Nintendo. So they put the hammer on Sakurai and made him develop VERY QUICKYLY.

Again, there is evidence of this by looking at the charcters that were revealed and the order they were revealed in. Our first clone was Lucas, and that was late in development. Nintendo had probably put the hammer down to get the game released ASAP by then (Nitendo knew of the delay obviously by the Lucas update).

Before Lucas we got Pokemon Trainer, Ike and Diddy. All original. I'm almost certain we would have gotten Krystal over Wolf, an original Ganondorf, Toon Link, and Falco, Isaac, and Ridley if there was no pressure. Blame this on the early start up of the Dojo. The Dojo should have started after the game was done (if by my theory about Q3 2008) and showed all the characters (only characters) once a week until release.

Spore fans have waited. They have only been given trailers, no updates. They will probably get a full project because the team there has NOT been rushed.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I will MAKE SURE that when the next Smash is out, it is headed by someone other than Sakurai (lol).
I don't want him heading the project but I would still want him there. We need his expertise to write the updates. :)

Top Bottom