• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you ****ing serious IGN?

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't even know why I bother. Why does anyone bother? These guys are the Fox News of gaming.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I'm kind of intrigued to know why they felt SSE was dissapointing. It looks pretty cool to me.
Yes. It will have a lot of nice cutscenes and acceptable gameplay. But I fear the platforming aspect won't be good because many characters will need to access all areas. Whats left is a beat em up with nintendo characters.

Then, after its done and 100%ed, you don't really even need it anymore.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
The only thing disappointing about the SSE is the ending.

But yeah, IGN is full of idiots, don't listen to them, seriously now.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
They're complaints are not completely unfounded. Basically, they are saying that SSE is a bit dissapointing because the enemies are not very interesting when they have plenty of official Nintendo enemies (Koopas, Metroids, etc.) that they could have used instead. They were also dissapointed that bosses don't take a specific strategy to beat. It's just a beat-em-up instead of thinking of the right way to beat them ala Zelda. Those reasons are valid.

If it helps, they do say that the multiplayer and the stage editor are rock solid.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Yeah, from what I know, they beat Taboo, and then credits. lol.

But anyway, SSE is basically a Kirby game. So, when was the last time a Kirby game was mind-blowing?

Shuma

Smash Hero
The Ending if SSE IS Trash. UTTER TRASH MADE OF CRAP AIDS AND FAIL.

However, how you get there is pretty epic.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
They're saying the opposite from what I'm hearing from the people who live in Japan and have played it. Then again, watching the videos and hearing what they had to say about the game, IGN has no idea what they're talking about.

Here's a summary made by Milabrega on NeoGAF so you don't have to waste your bandwidth:

Milabrega said:
Fran and Eduardo may or may not be tagged correctly, can't tell the difference in their voices.

Summary Complete:

Smash Play History:
-Peer "played the crap out of those games".
-Peer talks up how ign convinced NoA to bring SS64 here. Said nintendo was reluctant to bring the game here because the violence didn't fit the characters. Thats why the light saber and smash attack sound effects are different in the states. Also because the lightsaber sound is copyright protected by Luke Skywalker.
-Fran is apparently really nice at smash. Challenged the Nintendo Treehouse people. Peach user.
-Eduardo never owned a 64 or played the original. Played Melee a ton when it came out, but haven't played it in about 2 years.
-Matt only plays Pikachu and uses his down B. Gets called out for only using that one lame move.

Current unlocked roster:
-No Wolf, WW Link, ROB, GnW, Falcon, Lucario, Ness, Jiggly yet.
-They laugh at the idea of spoilers.

SSE Impressions, No Spoilers:
-Peer "Subspace Crapissary". "I Have to finish it still", "feels very uninspired"....... Cool thing is the nintendo worlds, funny characters, story makes no sense, enemies are very generic, same characters, no sense of danger. First thought it was awesome 2d platformer, then it feels like it becomes a choir. Co-Op is not pulled off well
-Bozon "Very Linear", Co-op is alright. "You have all these franchises at your disposal, so why am I fighting stick figure guy, generic enemy X"
-Eduardo- Upset that the characters in a metroid level aren't metroid characters, removes a sense of attachment.
-Fran- Pacing is wierd. "It had so much potential, but then you play it and your like whoa"
-Peer- Bosses are really cool, everything is very well animated. But again its just hitting the same button over and over, no real strategy.
-Bozon- Every guy is like master hand, just pound down his HP nothing else to the fight. We are 35% the way through it.
-Peer & Fran- All these characters have these cool moves, like Ness' YoYo and Fox's reflect that could add to the strategy of the encounters on the level your on, but no, its just use basic attack to windle down the hp.
-Bozon- Will not play SSE when he gets american version. Everyone else said they would.

Multiplayer:
-Added a ton of levels, a ton of characters. Returning Levels.
-Map Editor "Freaking Awesome"

Levels:
-Eduardo enjoyed Snakes level "Simple, Plain, but enjoyable" Peer likes how its easy to see the characters on it since its one shade, unlike the new mother level which is hard to see people
-Eduardo doesn't like the new Zelda Bridge map, no visual Q's for when the bridge falls apart. Big advantage to flying characters when the bridge falls.
-Bozon likes warioware and pictochat. Everyone agrees. They like pictochat's wierd music
-Delfino plaza is really busy
-Eduardo, tough to see your characters on some of the stages, if your playing on a smaller tv man are you in trouble. Couldn't see his character at the start of FE stage when he selected a blue character.
-Peer/Eduardo enjoy Yoshi's stage and the Kirby's. Fran likes Pokemon Stadium
-Fran/Bozon competitive play levels-- thinking about just making their own levels, just flat. Its all about the simplicity. If you don't like some of the levels you'll gravitate towards others, and you have the ability to make your own.

Level Maker:
-Easy and quick to make a stage that works
-Has unlockables in the same manner as stickers/trophys
-Unlockables not just SSE, but in the various gameplay modes.

Controls:
-Shield is not analog anymore, they don't like that change.
-Haven't been able to item catch yet, it may still be in there but harder.
-IT seems that they want you to lean towards just using the WIimote
-They don't think the wii-mote only is that good, Matt uses it, everyone else uses Gamecube. They have not tried the Classic controller.
-Peer- the rubber condoms on the wii-mote do make it more comfortable
-Everyone agrees the wii-mote only control has removed/loss of functionality (the shielding issue, you can't walk with the wii-mote only).
-The "minus" button is some move, but you can hit the home button pretty often. A lot of double tapping for a move which is a single button press on the Wavebird.
-They understand why the wii-mote only option is there, but anyone who wants to get deep in the game should play with a wavebird.
-They all call wavedashing the same as snaking, none of them used it.

Characters:
-Mario: Water Spray 3%. They don't find it useful at all. Spinning knuckle must now be done in the air. Bozon "Nerfed down a bit"
-Final Smash Balls: "It appears if your in the lead, its harder to break the final smash ball open".... It appears to get bigger and bigger so you can tell when it busts, but that may be the camera.
-Peach: Super Balanced character. She really hasn't been changed at all.
-Bowser: Giga Bowser not that great of a FS, hard to hit people with.
-Yoshi: Pretty much the same.
-Wario: Bike is wierd. Fran isn't digging the bike. A slight delay to use the bike if the bike is already on the field. On small maps easy to drive off. Peer likes the bike.
-DK: Same.
-Diddy: Bozon "Diddy kong is awesome, FS is incredible". You can get 5/6 K.O.s with the FS. Peer wasn't interested in Diddy, but now, thinks he's one of the best newcomers.
-Pit: make fun of his voice during a match. Triple jump, Fly. Quick. Decent, Balanced. Spinning blade could be very cheesy 1 on 1. Noob Friendly
-Link: Shadow link looks cool. Very similar, seems a little bit stronger. the FS hard to hit people with, but its a KO
-Zelda/Sheik: Same
-Kirby: Exactly the same. Beginner friendly
-Dedede: Feels like a heavy kirby. The hammer is rediculous
-Meta-Knight: Does a ton of damage, but hard to KO one of the weakest FS' in the game
-Samus: Really well done. Fran "There was something missing with Melee Samus, but this samus feels really well done and balanced". You can start with ZSS. Fran thinks she could be one of the best in the game (Samus).
-Fox, Falco, Wolf: Landmaster jokes
-Ness &Lucas: VERY similar.
-Ike &Marth: Ike = Roy. Ike is great in 4 player, but 1 on 1 your gonna get rocked
-Iceclimbers: same
-Pikachu: same. Pretty cheesy. They all hate the cheese of the down b lightning. Matt gets called out for being the cheese.
-Pokemon Trainer: Everyone "Cool". Squirtle, super quick, more agile than sonic, Bozon thinks he's a better quick character. Thinks its impossible to hit squirtle. May be Bozon's favorite.
-Captain Olimar: The LoL I beat you with xxx character. Very wierd offense. They dont see his offensive strategy, don't understand his strategy. Everyone "FS is awesome".
-Sonic: "Feels floaty and wierd, like your gonna fly off the ledge" Hard to get him in a position to use his attack. Stage is awesome. Hard to get him moving, but when he moves he's the fastest.
-Snake: Awesome. Very Noob friendly. Everyone "FS is amazing". Pokemon trainer can avoid this FS by spamming Pokemon Change.

Reader Mail:
-Preorder for sure. This game is going to fly off the shelves.
-SSBB delay why? Localization likely. Production on units. March is a better time to sell a bigger game.
-Favorite feature? Bozon: Level Editor. Fran:Multiplayer. Eduardo could not get online, but could join with spectator. Peer: Fanservice, the music specifically. Everyone started going off about the music
-Favorite assist trophy?- Everyone: Little Mac. "He brings the Pain". Peer and Bozon likes the dragoon parts. Fran does not. Its an instant kill if you hit someone or multiple people. Will likely be turned off by competitve people.
-Best wii game thus far? Bozon: no, not better than metroid or galaxy. Fran: Not sure. Peer: So far Galaxy Better. This is Melee with more stuff, which makes it a great game. Matt: below metroid and galaxy.
-Favorite newcomer- Eduardo: Snake, b/c its snake. He's a well rounded character and its easy to recover. Fran: ZSS/Samus b/c they balanced her out. Bozon: PT or Pit, but Pit could be very cheap. Peer: Would be WWlink but he has the same moveset as link so his choice is Pit.
-Does the speed of the game differ from melee. 1. A tiny bit. 2. Not really but some levels it seems so

iMichael

Smash Lord
Ignorant Gaming Noobs...is what I call em.

Brawl is perfect (besides the no l-cancelling part)

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Can you explain why it sucks without spoilers? Does everyone die or something?
lmao. Such a funny thought for a Nintendo game. No, I can pretty much assume they don't die, but from what I saw, it's kind of cheesy.
Like a "triumphant battle pose" from everybody looking over the water on a cliff.

That wasn't a spoiler, was it?

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
This is hard to listen to. I managed to make it through the whole thing, but there were so many points where I wanted to interject and explain things that they didn't seem to understand or know about the game. Not to mention there were a few points where they said things they thought were true that weren't. I finally realize why the past smash games have gotten worse reviews than they disserve... the reviewers don't fully understand the game.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
lmao. Such a funny thought for a Nintendo game. No, I can pretty much assume they don't die, but from what I saw, it's kind of cheesy.
Like a "triumphant battle pose" from everybody looking over the water on a cliff.

No thats fine. LOL

I dunno I don't get why everyone though it sucked. But if it's just corny I can deal with that.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
WHAT IGN SAYS IS CONTRARY TO WHAT I BELIEVE!!!!! Love the 35 character roster and the SSE mode! Be grateful for what you get out of Smash you a**holes who have no reason to complain!!! It's not like you're paying for this game!!!! This game is PERFECT!!! BEST GAME EVER!!!!!

Seriously...try to be unbiased for once. Play the game before calling it perfect. And play the game before dismissing someone's opinion who HAS played the game.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
"GUYS! SNAKE IS NOOB FRIENDLY! NO REALLY!"

These people are ****ing ********. Jesus. And they wonder why Gaf and everyone else spit in their direction.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

How ironic. The game ends the same way it began :laugh:

§leepy God

Smash Master
IGN didn't make a great amount of since when they did they Wii-k. They don't even know why Bridge of Eldin collapses. XD

But those people don't know how to play Smash anyway.

S2

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't even know why I bother. Why does anyone bother? These guys are the Fox News of gaming.
What's exactly wrong with the IGN team? Because I think they do a darn good job at that website. They tend to be very fair with their reviews. That is, they are fans but don't blindly overrate games. At least I feel their site has journalistic intergrity about what they review.

As for FOX News. Much of that channel isn't half bad. They are the only conservative news channel in an overly liberal media. Don't trash them when they are the only ones who aren't pushing liberal agendas. As most other news channels look equally stupid to conservatives.

Except for Fox News's Mass Effect fiasco. They need to apologize for that. Define journalistic intergrity and then take the exact opposite. They really screwed up with that one.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
I had to stop listening at 11 minutes. That was just... pure stupidity. It's like they dunno what the game is like... I'm pretty sure they got it all wrong. IGN is my favorite gaming website too... From the looks of the Subspace Emissary, it looks like the most important and fun aspect of Brawl, only behind Multi-player and online. All of Sakurai's hard work for this? Hellz no.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Their opinions arn't that bad. I mean, until I get my hands on the game, I will accept their opinions. I'm not going to flame them before I even play the **** game.
They are complaining about very unnecessary stuff about Brawl, and stuff that isn't even true, so yes, even though they played the game and I haven't, their opinions are pieces of dog****.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I like how IGN gave Mario Galaxy game of the year, yet most Nintendo fans still call them trash because Zelda didn't get a perfect 10 or whatever their reasons are. Really they aren't that bad of a site. They might not be the most knowledgeable about smash. But the game should be reviewed from a casual gamers perspective anyways. Competitive smash players aren't going to make any desiccation about this game based on the reviews. I honestly think they are some the least biased reviewers out there.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I like how IGN gave Mario Galaxy game of the year, yet most Nintendo fans still call them trash because Zelda didn't get a perfect 10 or whatever their reasons are. Really they aren't that bad of a site. They might not be the most knowledgeable about smash. But the game should be reviewed from a casual gamers perspective anyways. Competitive smash players aren't going to make any desiccation about this game based on the reviews. I honestly think they are some the least biased reviewers out there.
Of course they're the least biased.

But they're also the most idiotic.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
Don't trash them when they are the only ones who aren't pushing liberal agendas.
LIBERAL AGENDAS.

I hear this all the time and it annoys me. I don't understand what the liberal agenda is. Universal heathcare? Gay civil rights? Not promoting wiretapping?

Top Bottom