• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you happy that EVERYONE IS HERE!!

Are you happy?

• Yes

Votes: 96 85.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Because she's one of the most important characters in the game? Not to mention one of the most popular not just in Awakening, but the series as a whole. People seem to like to sell her CYL performance short, but since people like to add votes, adding Masked Lucina's puts her right up there with Ike and Lyn.
I like lyn causes she can use a bow and smash needs more bows

What’s so special about masked lucina

Arthur97

Smash Master
I like lyn causes she can use a bow and smash needs more bows

What’s so special about masked lucina
Lucina can use lances, and no one in Smash uses those but they didn't give her lances. No guarantee that Lyn would use bows. Also, Pit, Dark Pit, and three Links all use bows. Also, Lucina used a bow in STEAM, Warriors, and Project X Zone 2. So much wasted potential.

She got about 3K or so additional votes in the poll...for some reason.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Lucina can use lances, and no one in Smash uses those but they didn't give her lances. No guarantee that Lyn would use bows. Also, Pit, Dark Pit, and three Links all use bows.

She got about 3K or so additional votes in the poll...for some reason.
Yeah I know just give her links bow boom easy

No, but characters aren’t the most important thing to me. I’m happy we are getting a new smash game, but if the game mechanics aren’t solid then I fear it won’t have the longevity it should.

I wouldn’t use the word “greatful” personally. The game is still gonna cost me 65+ dollars. No one is doing me a favor.

paintbucket

Smash Rookie
for me, it was a pleasant surprise seeing everyone in! my only grumble is that pokemon trainer's return but... I've always kinda felt lukewarm about pokemon trainer anyway so I don't really care lol.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I was definitely blindsided by this decision. I had my suspicion that the 2018 release meant they were definitely reusing Smash 4's assets and engine so cuts were unlikely. But I thought their focus for this title would be on the totally new content. New Characters and New modes. Just to sell people on the idea this is a whole new game and not a remaster/rerelease. Choosing to bring back so many veterans, even some unpopular ones, is the exact opposite direction I was expecting.

If you had told me this would be their approach before E3, I would have been totally against it. The Smash 4 roster is bloated beyond belief and doesn't need Young Link who retains his old moveset. But a good trailer can sell any game and so now I'm in love with Ultimate. I have my concerns about the game's competitive balance and how gross the character select screen is gonna look, but all I can think about is how fun it will be playing as all these characters and that's exactly the feeling Nintendo is going for.

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
I’m am convinced Zelda is on the Smash back burner if on one at all. Probably microwaved
I wouldn't say Zelda is on the smash backburner in this one. Zelda and ganondorf redisigns look amazing. New moves and all. Ganondrof's sword moves look so fitting.

Link has his botw stuff which was a great current Zelda experience (to me at least) that gave him some much needed updates to an old moveset. The jump attack in 4 was a nice start though I'll give them that.

Young Link being a clone without masks and stuff. This is a game to celebrate smash history, if they brought back the character without a new moveset, he wouldn't be the same character his fans hated to not see come back. Also with Links changes, I'm glad to see the old school moveset with some possible updates.

ZelDan

Smash Master
For the most part. I could have lived without Pichu and Young Link, and I would have liked to see Dr. Mario and Toon Link be alts. Also I would have liked Miis to be cut.

Still, there being no cuts and having Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers return is awesome, so I'm largely satisfied.

For the most part. I could have lived without Pichu and Young Link, and I would have liked to see Dr. Mario and Toon Link be alts. Also I would have liked Miis to be cut.

Still, there being no cuts and having Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers return is awesome, so I'm largely satisfied.
I understand your logic, and honestly it would have been simple to make a character into an alt, but that doesn’t always work out well.

They made Wolf into an alternate costume in smash 4 (and his side B if you played with customs). Sure, you can do it, but that doesn’t do the character justice.

Even if some characters are carbon copies, changes to things like knock back on moves, mobility and overall play style mean a lot more to players than just meet aesthetics. It’s the same reason why Fox and Falco play so differently in Melee, inspite of the sharing the same literally move set. That’s why we have echo fighters.

Young Link and Pichu could be skins, but it wouldn’t feel right if Young Link started jumping around and floating in the air with awkward sword movements as Toon Link. They all function differently.

I’m personally more excited for the characters who were clones slowly becoming more fleshed out.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I'm extremely happy about it, I think just by virtue of being veterans every one of the characters have something special about them, there are bound to be people who have poured a lot of emotions into even the most unpopular ones, and I think they deserve to be able to play as their favorites again. Like it or not, but newcomers don't have that same feeling about them, that's why previously cut veterans were so overwhelmingly popular during the ballot period, Smash fans already feel something for the veterans as they've made a ton of great memories with them, while newcomers bring a different kind of excitement they effectively start from 0 in that regard.

I can't claim that I love every single character that's ever been in Smash, far from it actually, but I can look at the bigger picture and appreciate what they're doing, because I know even my least favorite characters mean something to some people out there. Having witnessed the pain that cut characters' fans have felt upon previous rosters being leaked I can't bring myself to feel differently, a potential newcomer that you've been hoping for not making it feels awful, but that disappointment eventually fades (or at least grows smaller), the void that a cut veteran leaves behind is different, it always feels worse being given something and having it be taken away than never having gotten it to begin with.

That's not to undermine what newcomers bring to the game, I can speak first hand of the absolute euphoria of having a decade's worth of support pay off, there's nothing like it, but I also think that the potential characters who have such strong fanbases are thinning out rapidly, and as such I think there's more worth in bringing back every single veteran instead of adding a similar amount of newcomers to Smash 4 just for the sake of it. As long as they choose wisely I think the community can end up being very satisfied with just a handful of newcomers, it's a quality over quantity situation imo, and maybe then poor Pichu and Dark Pit won't catch so much flak.
which is way I don't see a reboot going over well

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say Zelda is on the smash backburner in this one. Zelda and ganondorf redisigns look amazing. New moves and all. Ganondrof's sword moves look so fitting.

Link has his botw stuff which was a great current Zelda experience (to me at least) that gave him some much needed updates to an old moveset. The jump attack in 4 was a nice start though I'll give them that.

Young Link being a clone without masks and stuff. This is a game to celebrate smash history, if they brought back the character without a new moveset, he wouldn't be the same character his fans hated to not see come back. Also with Links changes, I'm glad to see the old school moveset with some possible updates.
I’m not saying Change young links moves but update the look of his equipment at the very least. Mainly bow and hockshot

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
Fair enough. Yeah he could definitely have more of an identity if they update his equipment and use Majora's mask things, but oot look is more iconic which is why he probably looks like he does.

It's just insane to me the matchup potential this game has with this expansive roster that basically celebrates the history of videogames as a whole. December or a demo on eshop needs to hurry.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I understand your logic, and honestly it would have been simple to make a character into an alt, but that doesn’t always work out well.

They made Wolf into an alternate costume in smash 4 (and his side B if you played with customs). Sure, you can do it, but that doesn’t do the character justice.

Even if some characters are carbon copies, changes to things like knock back on moves, mobility and overall play style mean a lot more to players than just meet aesthetics. It’s the same reason why Fox and Falco play so differently in Melee, inspite of the sharing the same literally move set. That’s why we have echo fighters.

Young Link and Pichu could be skins, but it wouldn’t feel right if Young Link started jumping around and floating in the air with awkward sword movements as Toon Link. They all function differently.

I’m personally more excited for the characters who were clones slowly becoming more fleshed out.
For the alt stuff, I was only talking about Dr Mario and Toon Link. Dr Mario is literally just Mario; just give Mario a doctor suit like they gave him his builder suit and wedding suit in Ultimate. As for Toon Link, I was thinking they could have Champion Link wear a WW-esque suit like he can in BotW with amiibo.

For the alt stuff, I was only talking about Dr Mario and Toon Link. Dr Mario is literally just Mario; just give Mario a doctor suit like they gave him his builder suit and wedding suit in Ultimate. As for Toon Link, I was thinking they could have Champion Link wear a WW-esque suit like he can in BotW with amiibo.
That’s incorrect.

As someone has played Dr. Mario and Mario in both Melee and Smash 4, I can tell you that there are many differences.

In Meler and in Smash 4, Dr. Mario’s neutral air function differently. Dr. Mario’s Knock back and damage on his Nair the longer it is out, making it the only Nair in the game that functions in such a way.

His Forward Air has massive diagonal knock back on it, unlike Mario’s Fair which is a meteor smash.

His Bair is slower, but with a lot more knockback

His Up B is one solid hit with steeper angle options than Mario’s

Forward Smash he’s less range and no sweet spot, but is much stronger.

Up Smash knocks opponents in the opposite direction from his swing, which is good for DI mix ups, and follow ups at low percents.

I’m Smash 4 he even had Mario’s old Dair from Melee and his Mario Tornado, now he has a brand new Dair that Spikes people.

Like i said earlier, these characters each have their individual traits and abilities, and delegating them to costumes would affect them more than other echo characters like Daisy or Lucina.

And as far as Link goes, that wouldn’t work for the same reasons described. Young Link is not only faster with a wall jump, but also retains the moveset from Ocarina of time link, including his rapid jab, fire arrows, hook shot, original bombs. Not to mention, proportionally that would be awkward, and forcing someone to purchase an amiibo (average 14.99 MSRP) to gain access to a cash grab costume is insulting considering DLC characters in smash 4 have never been that expensive unless it was a package deal.

This was the best way to handle it. And I’m glad they decided to work more on characters to put in. All those customs moves Sakurai made that no one used were resources that I feel were better put into investing into more characters, echo fighter or not.

ZelDan

Smash Master
That’s incorrect.

As someone has played Dr. Mario and Mario in both Melee and Smash 4, I can tell you that there are many differences.

In Meler and in Smash 4, Dr. Mario’s neutral air function differently. Dr. Mario’s Knock back and damage on his Nair the longer it is out, making it the only Nair in the game that functions in such a way.

His Forward Air has massive diagonal knock back on it, unlike Mario’s Fair which is a meteor smash.

His Bair is slower, but with a lot more knockback

His Up B is one solid hit with steeper angle options than Mario’s

Forward Smash he’s less range and no sweet spot, but is much stronger.

Up Smash knocks opponents in the opposite direction from his swing, which is good for DI mix ups, and follow ups at low percents.

I’m Smash 4 he even had Mario’s old Dair from Melee and his Mario Tornado, now he has a brand new Dair that Spikes people.

Like i said earlier, these characters each have their individual traits and abilities, and delegating them to costumes would affect them more than other echo characters like Daisy or Lucina.

And as far as Link goes, that wouldn’t work for the same reasons described. Young Link is not only faster with a wall jump, but also retains the moveset from Ocarina of time link, including his rapid jab, fire arrows, hook shot, original bombs. Not to mention, proportionally that would be awkward, and forcing someone to purchase an amiibo (average 14.99 MSRP) to gain access to a cash grab costume is insulting considering DLC characters in smash 4 have never been that expensive unless it was a package deal.

This was the best way to handle it. And I’m glad they decided to work more on characters to put in. All those customs moves Sakurai made that no one used were resources that I feel were better put into investing into more characters, echo fighter or not.
I'm not talking movesets here, I'm just talking about the characters themselves. I realize there are differences between Doc and Mario and Link and Toon Link.

I'm not talking movesets here, I'm just talking about the characters themselves. I realize there are differences between Doc and Mario and Link and Toon Link.
Well when you are talking about delegating a character into an alternate costume, you take into considerations all of the things that make them an individual character. So inadvertently, you are talking about the move sets. Otherwise, why else would you be talking about them?

It’s free speech, but I don’t understand why you would express discontent towards the characters in the game, especially if you knew the differences between them. It just doesn’t add up to me is all.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well when you are talking about delegating a character into an alternate costume, you take into considerations all of the things that make them an individual character. So inadvertently, you are talking about the move sets. Otherwise, why else would you be talking about them?

It’s free speech, but I don’t understand why you would express discontent towards the characters in the game, especially if you knew the differences between them. It just doesn’t add up to me is all.

I don't exactly understand what you don't understand, and I feel you are too fixated on movesets here. Movesets are obviously imprtant, but I also care about the character behind the moveset, and Dr. Mario, to me, just feels like a redundant addition when Mario already exists. Dr. Mario's moveset isn't even THAT interesting to me anyways. Only one move of his is "Dr. Mario-ish," that being the pills. Any other move he has either is already done by regular Mario or could be done by a s***load of other characters, such as the stomp move for his down air.

MOvesets, again, are important of course, but I wouldn't care about having the greatest, most unique moveset ever if it was attached to a wet, sloppy dog turd.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well when you are talking about delegating a character into an alternate costume, you take into considerations all of the things that make them an individual character.
No I don't. I don't give a crap if they gave him a different move. Dr. Mario is still just Mario in different clothes. He doesn't deserve that different move. He deserves to be an alt costume. Doesn't even deserve to be an echo fighter. Damn sure doesn't deserve to be a unique character.

Is the character literally the same person in a different outfit? Alt costume.
Is the character practically the same character, but not technically the same person? Echo fighter.
Is the character completely different, and also from another series entirely? Then completely unique character with entirely different moveset. Looking at you, Ganondorf!

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Of course I am. Who wouldn't be.

It's a pretty brilliant move tbh, at this point most of the well-known Nintendo characters are already in Smash, so bringing back all old characters is a good thing to focus on over newcomers and it's guaranteed to make everyone happy, since noone will have to lose their main. Plus, we havn't seen some of those characters in quite a while, it's almost like they are newcomers!

I'm only hoping the newcomers will be more long-standing characters that have captured the hearts of people over the course of time, rather than newer characters who we might not even like anymore in a few years.

No I don't. I don't give a crap if they gave him a different move. Dr. Mario is still just Mario in different clothes. He doesn't deserve that different move. He deserves to be an alt costume. Doesn't even deserve to be an echo fighter. Damn sure doesn't deserve to be a unique character.

Is the character literally the same person in a different outfit? Alt costume.
Is the character practically the same character, but not technically the same person? Echo fighter.
Is the character completely different, and also from another series entirely? Then completely unique character with entirely different moveset. Looking at you, Ganondorf!
lol. I wasn't even talking to you but you sure seem upset about it. but you are also incorrect.

Just because a character looks aesthetically similar doesn't mean it's the same character. Again, see: Fox vs. Falco in Melee.

This is addressing both you and homeboy who feel the same way. It doesn't matter how you feel, you can't avoid hard facts. But then again, it doesn't matter to you because, at least I assume, you don't play these characters or understand the intricacies behind competitive smash; which is fine, but you should at the very least respect that in the same way I personally respect all of those who choose to play the game in whatever facet they choose to. That's why we have echo fighters and semi-clone characters.

lol you're using the term "deserve" as if there is finite space in the game and you have to somehow allow these characters to gain respect intra universe . Well I remember playing Dr. Mario as a kid, Young Link was the protagonist for both of the Zelda games on the Nintendo 64, and Pichu was very cute and popular. Developers are even going lengths to flesh him out as a unique character, which is great.

I'll never understand why people are mad that some people enjoy characters in a video game and attack one another. I remember being picked on as a kid just for playing video games in general, now we're doing to each other, based on characters. Does that sound smart to you?

There in the game, now go pick one of the other 60 plus characters and have fun with that.

EDIT: There's more, actually.

Look at Street Fighter III: Third Strike. The game on top of having new characters also made new ones to emulate the play styles of old ones.

Remy plays like Guile

Necro plays like Dhalsim

Hugo plays like Zangeif

They aren't carbon copies, but thing like this are more common then one would think.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Just because a character looks aesthetically similar doesn't mean it's the same character. Again, see: Fox vs. Falco in Melee.
Right. The fact that they're the same character means they're the same character.

Fox and Falco are different characters.

It doesn't matter how you feel, you can't avoid hard facts.
Watch me.

I'll never understand why people are mad that some people enjoy characters in a video game and attack one another. I remember being picked on as a kid just for playing video games in general, now we're doing to each other, based on characters. Does that sound smart to you?
Dunno. Does it sound smart to act like anyone that doesn't have the same opinion as you is picking on you?

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I like having Dr. Mario just for the novelty of the character. If you were thinking of character that were going to appear for the first time Dr. mario isn't one that you'd think of, but he is actually fairly famous and had a popular adn really fun game series.

Plus the pill sound effects were just neat icing on the cake.

I think people get too caught up in who "deserves" to be in the game. Just because somebody isn't the most famous or original character ever and doesn't have it's own 100% unique moves doesn't mean they aren't just a fun thing to throw in, and really isn't the fun part what's important.

Right. The fact that they're the same character means they're the same character.

Fox and Falco are different characters.

Watch me.

Dunno. Does it sound smart to act like anyone that doesn't have the same opinion as you is picking on you?
So it’s ok to have two different characters with the same animated move set, but having two of the same characters with different moves isn’t?

It’s kind of the same thing.

Well the characters already in the game, if you can’t enjoy them there are many more. I would also like to ask that if you quote something I’m saying, don’t break it up into parts; it feels as if you’re trying to skew what I’m saying out of proportion.

And yeah in canon Mario and Dr.Mario are the same, but does that even matter in a game like this? Especially since 3rd party characters are in the mix.

I can’t wait to Dair spike with Dr. Mario.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So it’s ok to have two different characters with the same animated move set, but having two of the same characters with different moves isn’t?

It’s kind of the same thing.
It is, in fact, the exact opposite thing.

I would also like to ask that if you quote something I’m saying, don’t break it up into parts; it feels as if you’re trying to skew what I’m saying out of proportion.
I'm not including the parts of a post I'm not responding to. The quotes link right to your original post if someone wants to read it in it's entire context.

And yeah in canon Mario and Dr.Mario are the same, but does that even matter in a game like this?
It does to me. And the OP asked. So, here we are.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
And yeah in canon Mario and Dr.Mario are the same, but does that even matter in a game like this? Especially since 3rd party characters are in the mix.
So what if there are third-party characters in the game? By that logic, Batman would fight Bruce Wayne in a Scooby-Doo crossover. And besides, the Mario series is a little over-represented. People are asking for a new Ganon as a separate character.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
As far as I can tell, Eternal doesn't care who the character is behind the moveset whilst Darth is more interested in who the character is

So basically if Doc's moveset was given to say...my boy Toad(with Pills functioning the same but aesthetically redesigned to iceballs or super balls or something) back in Melee both parties would be happy since Eternal would get his moveset, and DarthEnder would likely see Mario and Toad being two different but similar movesetted characters more justifiable?

Just seems like this argument is going in circles at current.

Mario in a lab coat is a character literally no one would request for the same reason people weren't requesting Mario Maker Mario as his own character, or even Dry Bowser as his own fighter. Even the guy who inspired Sakurai to do Doc requested him as an alt costume rather than his own character. Sakurai questionably just made him his own thing which is a move that baffles me to this day. Like even if you had to make a last minute clone of someone there weren't better options available than Dr. Mario?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I would say I was actually quite surprised when all of the characters are returning.

There are definitely pros and cons on "everyone is here", but I would mostly say yes that I am happy to see most of my mains in the game.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Which is why Sakurai's "We probably won't be able to do this again" comments have me worried.
I mean from a developer view; you can't make significant new content, upgrades to characters graphics, graphics in general, or moves if you have to port over all the characters in the previous game, then attempt to make the new game not look like a port. People who been saying Smash Ultimate looked like a port can't have and eat their cake too. If you want significant improvements or even a decent story mode (trying to put in 70+ characters shoved in story mode with CG graphics along with having to collaborate with third parties for everything is quite possibly the most tedious thing someone would have to do". Sakurai even in his latest interview that character cuts are most likely happenings next Smash and that he acknowledges that Pandora Box may have been opened with Ultimate.

Arthur97

Smash Master
So what if there are third-party characters in the game? By that logic, Batman would fight Bruce Wayne in a Scooby-Doo crossover. And besides, the Mario series is a little over-represented. People are asking for a new Ganon as a separate character.
If a series is to be overrepresented, it should be Mario.
I mean from a developer view; you can't make significant new content, upgrades to characters graphics, graphics in general, or moves if you have to port over all the characters in the previous game, then attempt to make the new game not look like a port. People who been saying Smash Ultimate looked like a port can't have and eat their cake too. If you want significant improvements or even a decent story mode (trying to put in 70+ characters shoved in story mode with CG graphics along with having to collaborate with third parties for everything is quite possibly the most tedious thing someone would have to do". Sakurai even in his latest interview that character cuts are most likely happenings next Smash and that he acknowledges that Pandora Box may have been opened with Ultimate.
Maybe that explains they're laziness with certain characters. Why spend time on them if you're going to cut them? Graphics, in my opinion, were fine in 4 so no real need to change that up much. Also, is it really a port if some of the characters "ported" were not in the previous installment? Yes, they were in older games, but not the one that would technically be ported if it was a port. Still, even more reason to hope Sakurai isn't back for the next one.

Generally, I'm at the point where I prefer older characters to new characters mostly. At least with old characters, you don't have to worry about terrible additions.

Last edited:
Characters can double jump

Captain Falcon can fight

Same with Fox and Falco

There’s a lot of stuff that happens in smash that doesn’t make sense, never has. Characters can fly at thousands of miles per hour, use screw attack, get attacked by pong, turn into giant monsters, can be metal while being on fire, characters that manipulate time, Pokémon that fight without their masters. All this is going on, but Dr. Mario is where you draw the line? Ok.

Mario is mr. video game, he can have as many representatives as Nintendo pleases. And personally, it doesn’t bother me that people are complaining; they’re selfish. And al the Mario characters are pretty great. Mario is Mario, Doc is the heavy hitter, Peach/Daisy is the only character to utilize the float mechanic, Bowser id the OG power house brawler, Luigi plays a unique take on the traditional fighter role (Ryu/Ken) Yoshi is unique in his air speed, jump armor, and has the single most damaging aerial attack in the game, Bowser Jr. is his own character with the clown cart, and Rosalina & Luma is a puppet character. Not all of them my cup of tea, but I appreciate them in their uniqueness and charisma.

Even when every character gets added to the game, it’s never enough.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So basically if Doc's moveset was given to say...my boy Toad(with Pills functioning the same but aesthetically redesigned to iceballs or super balls or something) back in Melee both parties would be happy since Eternal would get his moveset, and DarthEnder would likely see Mario and Toad being two different but similar movesetted characters more justifiable?
I mean, personally, I'd prefer if clones or echoes didn't exist at all. But if they have to exist, yes, I much prefer them if they aren't literally the same character in different clothes.

Toad with Mario's moveset is better than Dr. Mario with Mario's moveset. But I'd prefer they just not make other characters that used Mario's moveset.

I mean from a developer view; you can't make significant new content, upgrades to characters graphics, graphics in general, or moves if you have to port over all the characters in the previous game, then attempt to make the new game not look like a port.
I don't have a problem with the games looking like ports if it means I don't have to lose a bunch of things between games.

If you want significant improvements or even a decent story mode (trying to put in 70+ characters shoved in story mode with CG graphics along with having to collaborate with third parties for everything is quite possibly the most tedious thing someone would have to do".
I'd rather have more characters than a decent story mode.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I mean, personally, I'd prefer if clones or echoes didn't exist at all. But if they have to exist, yes, I much prefer them if they aren't literally the same character in different clothes.

Toad with Mario's moveset is better than Dr. Mario with Mario's moveset. But I'd prefer they just not make other characters that used Mario's moveset.

I don't have a problem with the games looking like ports if it means I don't have to lose a bunch of things between games.

I'd rather have more characters than a decent story mode.
a story mode should be a spinoff game of shorts, character is were it is at for me

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm sometimes look at this thread just to remind myself, yes, indeed everyone is here. What good times we are living in.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Characters can double jump

Captain Falcon can fight

Same with Fox and Falco

There’s a lot of stuff that happens in smash that doesn’t make sense, never has. Characters can fly at thousands of miles per hour, use screw attack, get attacked by pong, turn into giant monsters, can be metal while being on fire, characters that manipulate time, Pokémon that fight without their masters. All this is going on, but Dr. Mario is where you draw the line? Ok.

Mario is mr. video game, he can have as many representatives as Nintendo pleases. And personally, it doesn’t bother me that people are complaining; they’re selfish. And al the Mario characters are pretty great. Mario is Mario, Doc is the heavy hitter, Peach/Daisy is the only character to utilize the float mechanic, Bowser id the OG power house brawler, Luigi plays a unique take on the traditional fighter role (Ryu/Ken) Yoshi is unique in his air speed, jump armor, and has the single most damaging aerial attack in the game, Bowser Jr. is his own character with the clown cart, and Rosalina & Luma is a puppet character. Not all of them my cup of tea, but I appreciate them in their uniqueness and charisma.

Even when every character gets added to the game, it’s never enough.
Well I'm okay with everyone making it in including Dr. Mario. I just thought the person who made the statement about Doc being an alt was a valid argument, because he is just Mario in a doctor outfit and the one who disagreed made the comparison to Fox and Falco who are two completely different people in the Star Fox games. But I never cared whether Dr. Mario made it in or not. I didn't want the Koopalings back because I wanted Alph to be separate from Olimar and I was afraid Lucina would end up as an alt for Marth. An alt that's a completely different character with a different name should take another slot on the roster in my opinion, and if the Koopalings take a new slot, that would be seven Mario characters added to the seven we already had and fourteen characters from one franchise when the others haven't even got to ten would be too much even if it's Nintendo's favorite series. But if the Koopalings and Alph are still alts, fine. At least no one was cut. But why did they have to change Link, Zelda and Ganondorf's designs? Oh and Wolf looked better in Brawl than what he does now.

Top Bottom