• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you happy that EVERYONE IS HERE!!

Are you happy?

• Yes

Votes: 96 85.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So the dust has pretty much settled since the big E3 reveal showing everyone that has ever been playable in a Smash game is playable in this game. This means fan favourites like :ultwolf:, :ulticeclimbers: and all the third parties are back. But also lesser favourites like :ultpichu:, :ultdarkpit:, :ultcorrin: and :ultyounglink:are back too.

Are you happy to take it all? Regardless of you like?

For me personally, while there are definitely characters I'm not a fan of, (:ultcorrin:) I can honestly say I don't care he's here anymore. The sheer novelty of having everyone here, is just mind-blowing. I see a lot of "who would you replace" topics and discussions. And I just think, I wouldn't jeopardize this amazing feat for anything in the world. I don't think I'd even trade :ultpichu:for my most wanted Skull Kid.

And honestly. I'm really happy to have even :ultpichu: I think it's cuter than ever and I don't mind having a Joke character. Even :ultcorrin: no longer bothers me now.

And you no what, I don't care if there are three of them now, I'm ecstatic to have :ultyounglink: back. He was actually always my favourite Link. It's great to have the Hero of Time back.

And of coarse because everyone is here, it means my old favourites are back too
:ultkirby::ultgnw::ultgreninja::ultrosalina::ultrob:

You won't see me complaining about any veterans in the game!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Having everyone come back was my dream game idea.

I'm thrilled to bits that everyone is here. It's like a big family reunion.

AND ON TOP OF THAT WE GET RIDLEY!!!

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
No, there are characters I wanted out, and it also means less development time available to add new characters I want.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad because it means that if they do decide to DLC again, they could only add in new characters, because I didn't like the idea of returning veterans as DLC.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I was against this idea at first due to the fact that it bothers me that fanbases can’t move on. This goes for all fighting games like MK, Street Fighter etc. Like how everyone is like we need everyone from Street Fighter 2 in (insert new SF entry here) or else I ain’t buying it! The same goes for Smash. However by bringing EVERYONE back this sort of tells me 2 things.

1. This game is a dream game. With all characters returning with a lot of the stages from past games. This feels like a modders dream project. But Sakurai went and did it for us. Meaning he wants this to be the only Smash you wanna play for years to come. He wants this to be the new Melee.

2. Hopefully 6-7 years down the road they reboot Smash. Move on from old
Characters and stages. Try something new. Sure I don’t want them to abandon the concept of fighting on a level and getting your opponent off the platform by dealing damage via percentage. But I think this series can evolve. I’m may not have all the answers how right now since yeah I’m not a game developer. But I think a new era of Smash is coming years after Ultimate. Whether Sakurai is apart of it for sure remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Who isn't, honestly? Anyways, I'm so excited that my boy Wolf is back, since I just kinda jumped from main to main in Smash 4.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
This really feels like a big reunion, even though actually returning veterans wasn't that much in number. A few of my favourites (:ultdoc::ultbayonetta::ultmiifighters::ultdarkpit::ultwiifittrainer:) are not popular and commonly requested to be cut so I'm really glad Sakurai practically saying "everyone and their fans matters".

I wouldn't trade it to any newcomers but we got Inklings on top of that! I'm gleeful.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm going to be controversial here; no.

Whilst I'm glad the likes of Wolf, Pokémon Trainer and even Pichu are back, and it's great for fans of Smash in general, it's honestly just kind of boring.

Newcomers get me far more excited; something new we haven't seen before, something intriguing.

The most exciting thing in every Smash game to date has always been the new fighters: Pokémon Trainer in Brawl blew me away, Bowser Jr was a surprising take on the character. Sonic? Holy crap! Getting to play as Bowser for the first time in Melee was amazing too...with the focus being on everyone is here I worry I'm not going to get that same level of excitement for Ultimate.

Unfortunately whilst seeing tweaks made to each character is a little interesting, it very rarely captures that same rush of excitement you get for something brand new.

We have got Inklings and Ridley, but Daisy is more of the same and with more emphasis on echoes I'm a little deflated.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not really no.

I mean, it's neat and all, and I'm certainly glad to see some of the returners.

But I REALLY didn't want Pokemon Trainer to come back. And I wish Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link and all the Echo fighters had just been alt costumes.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I am very glad that everyone is back. Some of my favorite things about smash is trying all of the fighters, learning matchups, and generally watching others come into their own with characters. Part of the reason why I love smash 4 so much is because there were so many more viable characters than before which lead to me enjoying that side of the game even more.

I didn't really have any reservations about the cast either tbh because I care more about the cast as "fighters" than I do as "characters". Once they make it into the game you just gotta live with them and all that lol. I did mention on another topic that I hate kingdom hearts and sora is the one character that I absolutely would not want in smash, but honestly if he got in I'd still give him a fair try, because once he's in theres not much you can really do to get him out lol. May as well enjoy it for what it is at that point.

Kori

Smash Cadet
I'm glad, absolutely, but I also feel like there are some very...unnecessary characters that just feel out of place...Greninja, Bayo, Handful of FE characters...
And I know I'm probably in the minority when it comes to that, so I don't really care. The novelty of having every smash fighter that has ever appeared is really cool even still <3

Oddball

Smash Lord
If you would have asked me, I would have never thought to bring back everyone. In fact, there were a few character I would have purposely left out.

Of course, since they did put everyone back in, I'm not going to complain about it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I didn't want wolf back, but lots of people did, so I'm not gonna b*tch about it because lots of people got what they wanted. I wasn't expecting pichu but I'm glad about that. I bet there's people glad about the others coming back. Usually I'd like new characters better, but that's almost like a gamble that costs more dev time than rehashing something for a new game. The new gameplay is gonna make it fun to see how they play now.
So.. yeah, I think this is a good thing :)

Leeemon

Smash Rookie
it bothers me that fanbases can’t move on. This goes for all fighting games like MK, Street Fighter etc.
Not having all previous charactes is a legit problem, though. The game is supposed to be a sequel, and when you remove something from the previous game, it makes it inferior in a certain aspect, because it doesn't have X character on it. Especially on fighting games, where characters are the gameplay.

It's a very big and known issue. If you don't cut and focus on only a few characters, it's hard to add new ones - I belive Sakurai has already stated that before, and we all know that's why cuts happen.

So having everyone that came before is like, damn, they are indeed pulling a drem game. No one is left out, which means no fan will be dissapointed - which can't really be said about any other fighting game sequel ever that had a cut character. What if the cut one is your main, you know? It would suck, but now it doesn't for no one.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Am I happy some of my favorite characters got added back in as a result of this policy?

yes.

Am I unhappy that characters I actively disliked made it back at the cost of having less newcomers?

also yes.

Should I be grateful for what I have?

If you unironically ask this question, you are the biggest kind of pushy asshole with the lowest of standards.

(Also, no)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd be happier if the Final Smash fighters were still fully playable, but I can probably understand why the Final Smashes are being adjusted.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I never played Melee, so if I get Ultimate, I'll be glad to finally play as Pichu and Young Link. There are a lot of exciting ways to matchup the characters now that previously cut characters would have a chance to fight the newer characters. Any newcomers they put in, I would be glad to see. It's going to have more characters to pick than the previous Smash titles.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
No one is left out, which means no fan will be dissapointed - which can't really be said about any other fighting game sequel ever that had a cut character. What if the cut one is your main, you know? It would suck, but now it doesn't for no one.
Thats another thing that I'm glad for tbh. I myself have always swapped mains from game to game but there are loads of character loyalists out there.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I remember how I felt when ICs were confirmed dead in Smash 4.

I remember how I felt when they walked in the Ultimate E3 trailer.

There are characters I'd like added in before others, but I do not begrudge anyone the opportunity to play as their favourite character again. In hindsight it will take something particularly special for Nintendo to top Snakes "everyone is here!" moment.

Khao

Smash Lord
Definitely. This was actually one of my wishes in my imaginary "this is never gonna happen but it would be amazing" list. I frankly don't even care if we get no more newcomers after this, this roster already dwarfs the one in Sm4sh, especially if you compare it to the launch roster. What makes it even more exciting is that it's likely not even freaking done yet.

I'd say it's ****ing worth it. Considering how the Sm4sh roster was already gigantic, and it hasn't been too long since we were still getting DLC, I'll absolutely take this over a larger amount of newcomers. Ultimately, Sm4sh is still recent enough so that there are not a lot of potential newcomers outside of characters from older games, its roster is arguably still "up to date". (I mean, how many Nintendo characters have actually been invented since Sm4sh?).

I think the better question is... Would it be a good idea for a hypotetical Smash in the console after the Switch to do the same thing? Cause the game would probably feel identical to Ultimate if that was the case, not to mention that this game already seems pretty similar to Sm4sh at a glance.

What I'm getting at is, even if I'm excited as **** about the fact that Everyone Is Here, I think we might be approaching the time that the series is gonna need a hard reboot. I love what we're getting, but the Smash after this one (assuming there's gonna be one) is going to be ridiculously interesting.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
I am very much a happy camper with everyone coming back. Think about it, with Ultimate, we are capable of having high quality dream matches outside of whatever you find for Mugen. Snake vs Cloud. Ryu vs Young Link. Bayonetta vs the Objectively Best Incarnation of Ganondorf (look-wise). It was literally something no one thought would be possible, but it happened.

I'm still kind of baffled as to why some people would be mad about this decision. Sure, not as many newcomers, but this roster is reaching close to 70 characters. That alone is absolutely insane. Most games have around 30 at the most, and that's being generous. Like seriously, how can you not be satisfied with that? Literally no one who had mained a previously cut character is left unsatisfied. And quite a few of these veterans both new and old have changes made to them to make them feel fresh, with some of these changes being what fans have been clamoring for for years now. (Example: Ganondorf with his sword. Pokémon Trainer without the stamina meter)

And this reaches into the next point: Post-Release Content. Smash Bros is name that prints money, and you know for a fact that Nintendo will have DLC fighters further down the line. I don't know about you guys, but I prefer my Smash characters that are post-launch to be new additions to the series, as opposed to adding back in previously cut characters for an extra price. In WiiU, three of the seven DLC fighters were returning veterans. That's roughly 42% of the DLC characters being previously cut ones. (If my quik maffs are right)

With Ultimate's "Everyone is Here" tagline, this guarantees that any character released post launch will be 100% new to the series. No semi cloned vets, no vets that were cut. Just 100% brand-spanking new, hot out of the oven, newcomers. That, I will easily pay money for. And DLC is pretty much a staple of games like this now. At this point, I don't even care who they are now. The fact that they will be completely new excites me to no end.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm extremely happy about it, I think just by virtue of being veterans every one of the characters have something special about them, there are bound to be people who have poured a lot of emotions into even the most unpopular ones, and I think they deserve to be able to play as their favorites again. Like it or not, but newcomers don't have that same feeling about them, that's why previously cut veterans were so overwhelmingly popular during the ballot period, Smash fans already feel something for the veterans as they've made a ton of great memories with them, while newcomers bring a different kind of excitement they effectively start from 0 in that regard.

I can't claim that I love every single character that's ever been in Smash, far from it actually, but I can look at the bigger picture and appreciate what they're doing, because I know even my least favorite characters mean something to some people out there. Having witnessed the pain that cut characters' fans have felt upon previous rosters being leaked I can't bring myself to feel differently, a potential newcomer that you've been hoping for not making it feels awful, but that disappointment eventually fades (or at least grows smaller), the void that a cut veteran leaves behind is different, it always feels worse being given something and having it be taken away than never having gotten it to begin with.

That's not to undermine what newcomers bring to the game, I can speak first hand of the absolute euphoria of having a decade's worth of support pay off, there's nothing like it, but I also think that the potential characters who have such strong fanbases are thinning out rapidly, and as such I think there's more worth in bringing back every single veteran instead of adding a similar amount of newcomers to Smash 4 just for the sake of it. As long as they choose wisely I think the community can end up being very satisfied with just a handful of newcomers, it's a quality over quantity situation imo, and maybe then poor Pichu and Dark Pit won't catch so much flak.

Last edited:

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
The important thing to remember is that every character has their respective fan base. And if that character isn’t in smash, a whole fan base is suddenly upset. It’s always better to include characters you don’t like because someone else somewhere else just bought the game because they brought back Snake.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
While fighting people like :ultcorrin::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultlittlemac::ultdarkpit: can be annoying, it’s good to see them all here.

I do hope for some new :ultsnake: codex calls for the Smash four newcomers, and new reactions to :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: redesigns ,

But on a major note. we got characters who are head scratchers :ultsheik:<we all know this one problem. :ultroy: is Roy more iconic then Lyn? :ultlucina:Do we need two awakening reps? Screw the waifu crowd

:ultyounglink: This is laziness you give :ultmario: moves from all of his games but :ultyounglink: has adult OOT Bow and hockshot. Don’t even give me a fierce deity finale smash if you won’t give Zelda reps the little details

I’m am convinced Zelda is on the Smash back burner if on one at all. Probably microwaved

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Considering Lyn's game was made specifically because of the reception of the FE characters in Melee. If Roy hadn't shown up in Smash, Lyn might not even exist. :p

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Considering Lyn's game was made specifically because of the reception of the FE characters in Melee. If Roy hadn't shown up in Smash, Lyn might not even exist. :p
We still would have Marth.

But would that make Roy’s game be the first to come over if he wasn’t in melee and NA wanted fire emblem

Arthur97

Smash Master
While fighting people like :ultcorrin::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultlittlemac::ultdarkpit: can be annoying, it’s good to see them all here.

I do hope for some new :ultsnake: codex calls for the Smash four newcomers, and new reactions to :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: redesigns ,

But on a major note. we got characters who are head scratchers :ultsheik:<we all know this one problem. :ultroy: is Roy more iconic then Lyn? :ultlucina:Do we need two awakening reps? Screw the waifu crowd

:ultyounglink: This is laziness you give :ultmario: moves from all of his games but :ultyounglink: has adult OOT Bow and hockshot. Don’t even give me a fierce deity finale smash if you won’t give Zelda reps the little details

I’m am convinced Zelda is on the Smash back burner if on one at all. Probably microwaved
Don't act like Lyn doesn't have waifu elements. Though, in general, I still don't like the term, "waifu."

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I never seen people call Lyn their Waifu. Show me

If anything she would have more elements
She has certain traits-the old guard likes to overlook those traits it seems, but, no, I'm not digging through the recesses of the internet to get you a reference. Not saying all or even most of her fans are waifu lovers, but don't suggest all Awakening fans are either.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
She has high sex appeal and is eerily attached to the player character which is reminiscent of an infamous modern "waifu" so don't deny it-the old guard likes to overlook those traits it seems, but, no, I'm not digging through the recesses of the internet to get you a reference. Not saying all or even most of her fans are waifu lovers, but don't suggest all Awakening fans are either.
She has high sex appeal and is eerily attached to the player character which is reminiscent of an infamous modern "waifu" so don't deny it-the old guard likes to overlook those traits it seems, but, no, I'm not digging through the recesses of the internet to get you a reference. Not saying all or even most of her fans are waifu lovers, but don't suggest all Awakening fans are either.
Oh lyn hasmore ‘sex appeal’ than :ultlucina: I’m not blind. You can just romance :ultlucina: with a player made avatar.

But okay look I offended you I’m sorry but I still don’t think awaking needs two reps.

I also know that all awaking fans are not a part of that crowd

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh lyn hasmore ‘sex appeal’ than :ultlucina: I’m not blind. You can just romance with a player made avatar.

But okay look I offended you I’m sorry but I still don’t think awaking needs two reps.
It doesn't needed it, Lucina was just a bonus.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Definitely. This was actually one of my wishes in my imaginary "this is never gonna happen but it would be amazing" list. I frankly don't even care if we get no more newcomers after this, this roster already dwarfs the one in Sm4sh, especially if you compare it to the launch roster. What makes it even more exciting is that it's likely not even freaking done yet.

I'd say it's ****ing worth it. Considering how the Sm4sh roster was already gigantic, and it hasn't been too long since we were still getting DLC, I'll absolutely take this over a larger amount of newcomers. Ultimately, Sm4sh is still recent enough so that there are not a lot of potential newcomers outside of characters from older games, its roster is arguably still "up to date". (I mean, how many Nintendo characters have actually been invented since Sm4sh?).

I think the better question is... Would it be a good idea for a hypotetical Smash in the console after the Switch to do the same thing? Cause the game would probably feel identical to Ultimate if that was the case, not to mention that this game already seems pretty similar to Sm4sh at a glance.

What I'm getting at is, even if I'm excited as **** about the fact that Everyone Is Here, I think we might be approaching the time that the series is gonna need a hard reboot. I love what we're getting, but the Smash after this one (assuming there's gonna be one) is going to be ridiculously interesting.
A reboot or massive cuts is needed if Sakurai wishes to completely upgrade the graphics/models and other things.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Why her though could of found another character who could of been a clone
Because she's one of the most important characters in the game? Not to mention one of the most popular not just in Awakening, but the series as a whole. People seem to like to sell her CYL performance short, but since people like to add votes, adding Masked Lucina's puts her right up there with Ike and Lyn.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I'm happy no one got their favorite fighter cut. But I hope it doesn't effect my most wanted newcomer, Geno, getting in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom