• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you gonna switch to "Duck Hunt" or keep "Duck Hunt Dog"

Switch Over?

• Duck Hunt

Votes: 67 42.9%
  • Duck Hunt Dog

Votes: 89 57.1%

• Total voters

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I don't think it makes sense to think that the 'game known as Duck Hunt' is the the character. Sure, other characters appear to attack and assist, but how many people insist on calling Olimar 'Olimar and Pikmin', or better yet, why did we never call the Pokemon Trainer 'Pokemon Red Version'?
Holy ****...

Ok to be clear the game explicitly calls the character Duckhunt. This is the ONLY criteria for picking which name is the right name. To suggest anything else is ridiculous.

This post in particular... Are you joking. Olimar is called pikmin and olimar. And we don't call PT pokemon red version, because A) that's inaccurate, to be the entire version it would need to use all 151 pokemon (and maybe include other aspects of the game), B) it could be any pokemon trainer/game... Those 3 pokemon are in every game, and finally (most importantly) C) the game calls him pokemon trainer.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
So we just give the dog a duck companion and call it playing as the entire game. Sounds logical.

Why play Duck Hunt on my NES why I can play it in Smash Bros. 4?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I'm staying with Duck Hunt Dog. It's like calling Samus Metroid.
No it's not, cause the game doesn't call her that, nor is that the character portrayed.

So we just give the dog a duck companion and call it playing as the entire game. Sounds logical.

You control both the dog and duck first off. Aerials/tilts are done by the duck, smashes by the hunter in the back. Specials don't only use the dog, as both the can and clay disc can be activated independently of the dog. Not only does it not make sense to call the character duck hunt dog in terms of the name the game gives it, it also doesn't make sense in terms of what you actually control.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
You control both the dog and duck first off. Aerials/tilts are done by the duck, smashes by the hunter in the back. Specials don't only use the dog, as both the can and clay disc can be activated independently of the dog. Not only does it not make sense to call the character duck hunt dog in terms of the name the game gives it, it also doesn't make sense in terms of what you actually control.
Look, I really don't care what anybody says anymore. I call the character what I want. That doesn't mean that you have to call it Duck Hunt Dog too but please stop making it out like I have to call him Duck Hunt as well. I just don't feel comfortable calling him that.

I see no further point to this argument anymore so I'll be leaving now.

Majora999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Majora999

You're also playing as the hunter.

The only thing from Duck Hunt you aren't playing as is the grass.

The character is Duck Hunt.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Look, I really don't care what anybody says anymore. I call the character what I want. That doesn't mean that you have to call it Duck Hunt Dog too but please stop making it out like I have to call him Duck Hunt as well. I just don't feel comfortable calling him that.

Ok. Well, I'm going to start calling Yoshi "Frank". I'll call Snake "BoB", and I'll call Robin "Percy". We're allowed to call characters whatever we want, after all, so no one can possibly get upset about this, right?

CrazySolaire

Smash Cadet
I am staying with Duck Hunt Dog because that is most of the character just like how I call Rosalina and Luma just Rosalina

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I'm really not sure why people are being so militant about his "proper" name.

At the end of the day, whether there's Dog at the end or not, you understand what character they're talking about, so why are you getting your cables in a twist? Live and let live.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
When referring to the dog itself, I'll say "Duck Hunt Dog"
But when referring to the entire team (the dog, duck, and hunter) I'll say "Duck Hunt".

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
"Duck Hunt" is the perfect name for the character, as the character incorporates everything about the game right down to the smash attacks being the dog avoiding the "player's" gunfire (as in the original it's impossible to shoot the dog).

Think of the other two classic characters that were added in the last two games: Ice Climbers are named after the game, and Mr. Game & Watch is named after his game(s). Otherwise they'd be called "Popo and Nana" and "LCD Guy." Calling the character "Duck Hunt" sticks to the theme of naming the new retro character after the game they're from.

"Duck Hunt Dog" doesn't do the character justice, as it ignores the duck and player (shooting) aspect of the character.

Last edited:

Alphicans

Smash Hero

You can call this character whatever you want. My beef is with people who disagree the name is Duckhunt. That is what the character is called, and there is no argument against that.

D

Deleted member

Force of habit will cause me to say "Duck Hunt Dog" for a while but I'll probably be calling it by the correct name soon enough.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Ok. Well, I'm going to start calling Yoshi "Frank". I'll call Snake "BoB", and I'll call Robin "Percy". We're allowed to call characters whatever we want, after all, so no one can possibly get upset about this, right?
Call them what you like. None of my business after all.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I cannot believe we are seriously having this debate over semantics. I'll still call it DHD or Duck Hunt Dog because the dog is the reason the duck and the hunter are in the game at all. A duck doesn't have the appropriate body type suited for Smashing. The hunter doesn't even have a body because he only exists in the fourth wall and can only materialize as a reticule. The dog provides a solid foundation for the duck and the hunter to anchor onto. I'll say "Duck Hunt" when I'm talking about the NES game. I'll say "DHD" or "Duck Hunt Dog" when I'm talking about the playable character in Smash.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
That's the thing, it's not a debate about semantics, it's a debate about what the character is ACTUALLY called. It's called duckhunt, meaning calling it duckhuntdog is INCORRECT, just like calling pikmin and olimar just olimar is INCORRECT. Call it me caring too much, but blatant irrationality really bugs me, and this is an instance of a large population of people being blatantly irrational.

You can't talk about reasons... You don't know what Sakurai was thinking. Maybe he conceived of the hunter first and then as an afterthought decided that having the dog/duck as the portion you control with the analog stick. Who knows??

You can call duckhunt duckhunt dog/DHD if you want, but I don't see why you'd want to. It's a longer name AND is inaccurate. At least in the case of "olimar" it makes sense because it shortens the name. In this case there's no good reason for it other than being stubborn because we thought that was gonna be the character's name before the game came out.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's the thing, it's not a debate about semantics, it's a debate about what the character is ACTUALLY called. It's called duckhunt, meaning calling it duckhuntdog is INCORRECT, just like calling pikmin and olimar just olimar is INCORRECT. Call it me caring too much, but blatant irrationality really bugs me, and this is an instance of a large population of people being blatantly irrational.

You can't talk about reasons... You don't know what Sakurai was thinking. Maybe he conceived of the hunter first and then as an afterthought decided that having the dog/duck as the portion you control with the analog stick. Who knows??

You can call duckhunt duckhunt dog/DHD if you want, but I don't see why you'd want to. It's a longer name AND is inaccurate. At least in the case of "olimar" it makes sense because it shortens the name. In this case there's no good reason for it other than being stubborn because we thought that was gonna be the character's name before the game came out.
I don't care if it's inaccurate or outdated. I'm not gonna say "Rosalina & Luma" or "Pikmin & Olimar" when it's clearly Rosalina and Olimar I'm directly controlling. I'm not gonna say "Duck Hunt" when I'm directly controlling Duck Hunt Dog (aka DHD). The hunter, the duck, and the wild gunman are Duck Hunt Dog's weapons because that's how they are used in this game. Last I checked, it's the dog's face on the character select screen, not the dog's face along with the duck, the wild gunman, and the hunter. Sakurai can call this character "Duck Hunt" for all I care. As far as I'm concerned, I'm playing as DHD because that's the character I've been asking for for 12 damn years.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Or, because Duck Hunt is already the name of a popular game and it could be confusing? Or because we're not playing as a "Duck Hunt" we're playing as a dog? Or because that's how people have thought of him for ages, Smash or no Smash, so they'll stick to what they're used to? Or because we like seeing overly uptight people like you blow your stack over absolutely stupid arguments like this? Actually no, this is tedious and annoying.

In all seriousness, I highly suggest you take a chill pill and let people be. Who gives a crap what the official name is compared to fan nicknames anyway?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'll probably end up calling him "Duck Hunt" unless his English name is something different.

But really it's such a non-issue that there's no point getting worked up over it. It's like all the arguments that happened over the correct way to pronounce GIF.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I don't care if it's inaccurate or outdated. I'm not gonna say "Rosalina & Luma" or "Pikmin & Olimar" when it's clearly Rosalina and Olimar I'm directly controlling. I'm not gonna say "Duck Hunt" when I'm directly controlling Duck Hunt Dog (aka DHD). The hunter, the duck, and the wild gunman are Duck Hunt Dog's weapons because that's how they are used in this game. Last I checked, it's the dog's face on the character select screen, not the dog's face along with the duck, the wild gunman, and the hunter. Sakurai can call this character "Duck Hunt" for all I care. As far as I'm concerned, I'm playing as DHD because that's the character I've been asking for for 12 damn years.
Like I said idc if you want to keep calling it DHD, that's your prerogative. I find it pointless, but whatever fill your boots. But for the record the duck is on the character select scree/icon, and tbh you control the duck more often than you control the dog.

Or, because Duck Hunt is already the name of a popular game and it could be confusing? Or because we're not playing as a "Duck Hunt" we're playing as a dog? Or because that's how people have thought of him for ages, Smash or no Smash, so they'll stick to what they're used to? Or because we like seeing overly uptight people like you blow your stack over absolutely stupid arguments like this? Actually no, this is tedious and annoying.

In all seriousness, I highly suggest you take a chill pill and let people be. Who gives a crap what the official name is compared to fan nicknames anyway?
All of those reasons are out of stubbornness, and one of them is wrong/incomplete (you're not just playing as the dog. See above).

Mental masturbation is just another day for me, it's what I do. I enjoy this debate, I am not exactly mad.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Like I said idc if you want to keep calling it DHD, that's your prerogative. I find it pointless, but whatever fill your boots. But for the record the duck is on the character select scree/icon, and tbh you control the duck more often than you control the dog.
And you control Fi more often than you control Link. :troll:

Last edited:

Spirst

Duck Hunt is the logical choice, so that. The character is a composite of three different elements (Hunter, Duck, Dog) and so when speaking of the character itself, Duck Hunt it is. Doesn't make sense to refer to all 3 by DHD. I'll only use DHD if actually talking about the dog.

Shog

Smash Ace
I refer to this character as Duck Hunt Dog simply because Duck Hunt is literally the game. So it could be confusing. He is called Duck Hunt yes but it is easier in communication for the other person to know which thing you are talking about. Like you say Rosalina did a nice smash and Luma edgeguarded well and not Rosalina and Luma did a nice smash and Rosalina and Luma edgeguarded well.

And you control Fi more often than you control Link. :troll:
That's why its called Legend of Zelda :troll::troll:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
When referring to the dog, just call him the dog. Save yourself the breath. But yeah ^that makes sense overall, shog.

Shog

Smash Ace
I just thought of an example for not a situation which shows that calling them by there real names isn't always the best option:

You all know Street Fighter, right? Well M.Bison Vega and Balrog got there names swapped during US localization, so that Fans refer to them as Dictator, Claw and Boxer.

It is not the same situation, but for anybody saying that it is completly wrong, here you have a pretty old example to show how it can be pretty useful indeed.

And simply naming in Dog, like Greninja gets called Frog from someone here (the guy with the data and weight list). Because you know, Pokemon have different names(In Germany Greninja is called "Quajutsu" for example)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
DHD makes more sense to me. "Duck Hunt" (jointly) in this context is an adjective and feels unnatural to refer to a character, a noun, as such. The character is a dog, "Duck Hunt" is a modifier that describes what type of dog he is. So I like DHD. I don't care that the duck is there with him (for whatever reason), the duck is assisting him, an auxiliary really. I think the 'character' is principally the dog.
Well, in your context, yes, Duck Hunt could be seen as an adjective, potentially. Or a Title, as if it were Duck Hunt's Dog, the Dog from Duck Hunt.
I don't agree that it is the 'entirety of Duck Hunt' as the character, but it certainly IS the dog and the duck, toghether. We just got used to the idea of it being the dog alone, the duck is clearly an immense part of it, and is much more personified than the Pikmin or Luma's, being a legitimate animal, and it seems inhumane to not include them as part of the character, to just think of them as assisting objects.

I still have two more pages of this thread to read; but if Banjo and Kazooie were in this game, it would be a crime to NOT consider Kazooie an equal member of the team even if you primarily control Banjo.

I don't think it makes sense to think that the 'game known as Duck Hunt' is the the character. Sure, other characters appear to attack and assist, but how many people insist on calling Olimar 'Olimar and Pikmin', or better yet, why did we never call the Pokemon Trainer 'Pokemon Red Version'?
Pokemon is exceptionally well known, and the Trainer, much like Villager, is an avatar character; he has a generic title for that exact reason.

Iceclimber was the Japanese name for the Iceclimbers, after the game. It was simply because it could easily be changed into a subjective noun that would be more stomachable to American audiences that we were given 'Ice Climbers.'
Even then it was in reference to the game, they weren't 'NANA AND POPO.'

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Also, these are the undisputed names of every character, so can we drop it now and lock this thread?

*Pardon the necessary Double post*

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Duck Hunt is similar to the Ice Climbers in the Japanese versions of smash where they are titled after their game: Just as 'Ice Climber' not plural. It might change in Localization to make more sense in full English. Debate solved.

Last edited:

Majora999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Majora999
Duck Hunt is similar to the Ice Climbers in the Japanese versions of smash where they are titled after their game: Just as 'Ice Climber' not plural. It might change in Localization to make more sense in full English. Debate solved.
ESRB Leak was English version, it's Duck Hunt.

Top Bottom