• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you gonna switch to "Duck Hunt" or keep "Duck Hunt Dog"

Switch Over?

• Duck Hunt

Votes: 67 42.9%
  • Duck Hunt Dog

Votes: 89 57.1%

• Total voters

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The pikmin can be 'killed', but not really 'ko'd'. They can't grab or control items. Isnt all of this true for Luma as well?
Yes, I just said that. You can "kill" Luma. I don't know if it's actually kill the little critter and it becomes a star or it get's knocked out and another Luma tags in when you summon a Luma to replace the dead or beat-up Luma.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I just said that. You can "kill" Luma. I don't know if it's actually kill the little critter and it becomes a star or it get's knocked out and another Luma tags in when you summon a Luma to replace the dead or beat-up Luma.
Right, you could ' kill' D3's little minion dudes too, I'm just saying Luma and pikmen are similar, in that they aren't treated like actual/playable fighters. Nana, while unique certainly, is more of an actual fighter, whereas pikmin, Luma and I'd argue the duck, aren't. I mean, the duck is 'teethered' to the dog in a unique way (there is no known instance where they separate, right?) So they are also unique in this way, but I'm saying the dog is principally being controlled, he is the one walking, using items (unless I'm wrong there, is the duck the one who picks up and uses items?)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Right, you could ' kill' D3's little minion dudes too, I'm just saying Luma and pikmen are similar, in that they aren't treated like actual/playable fighters. Nana, while unique certainly, is more of an actual fighter, whereas pikmin, Luma and I'd argue the duck, aren't. I mean, the duck is 'teethered' to the dog in a unique way (there is no known instance where they separate, right?) So they are also unique in this way, but I'm saying the dog is principally being controlled, he is the one walking, using items (unless I'm wrong there, is the duck the one who picks up and uses items?)
I'm just saying that they're a team character no matter who leads. One variant might be two characters fighting together and can act independently, another has a puppeteer or leader who can fight, but will direct others to fight for them, and another has a one teammate doing most of the work while the other is on support. Likewise, Pokémon Trainer is made up of a team who fight independently and swap out when one's tired or a change in strategy is needed.

lavadeira

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0917-9729
Ugh. While I concede Duck Hunt is much more fitting than Duck Hunt Dog, the acronym DHD has something magical to it... just like Pittoo, lol. I guess I'll use "Duck Hunt" for the full name and "DHD" for the acronym.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Ugh. While I concede Duck Hunt is much more fitting than Duck Hunt Dog, the acronym DHD has something magical to it... just like Pittoo, lol. I guess I'll use "Duck Hunt" for the full name and "DHD" for the acronym.
How about DHDD or DHD&D? Duck Hunt Dog & Duck?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Duck Hunt is the name of a game. Duck Hunt Dog is the character starring in that game, and the name he was referred to as during his previous appearance in Crusade. And Mr. Peepers is his proper name.

Spudboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
spudboy
Sticking with Duck Hunt, assuming their name isn't different in the English release, like how Bowser is called "Koopa."

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Sticking with Duck Hunt, assuming their name isn't different in the English release, like how Bowser is called "Koopa."
Going by the ESRB leak it's "Duck Hunt" over here as well.

Majora999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Majora999
Duck Hunt is the character's name.

You're not even playing as the dog alone, you're controlling the dog, the duck AND the hunter, you are literally playing as Duck Hunt, the game.

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
I'm just going to keep saying Duck Hunt Dog, it's too much of an effort for me to change :/

TL?

Smash Ace
Duck Hunt is the character's name.

You're not even playing as the dog alone, you're controlling the dog, the duck AND the hunter, you are literally playing as Duck Hunt, the game.
This. There shouldn't even be an argument.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
How about DHDD or DHD&D? Duck Hunt Dog & Duck?
This is what I'm doing. As a team I'll just refer to them as Duck Hunt, but as individuals its Duck Hunt Dog or Duck Hunt Duck. If I've already referenced them, I'll just say Dog and/or Duck B)

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I'm staying with Duck Hunt Dog. It's like calling Samus Metroid.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I remember when everyone used to call Toon Link "Wind Waker Link" and all.

Eh, Duck Hunt will probably be the name I'll end up getting used to calling him after hearing the name getting repeated for a while I guess.....

Bralef

Smash Cadet
I've been referring to the character as Duck Hunt, and that probably won't change, unless the name of the slot changes in the U.S. release. That being said, when I'm referring to the individual characters themselves, I just call them "The Dog", "The Duck", "The Wild Gunmen", "The Hunter", etc.

...THAT being said, I think the abbreviation DHD looks better than DH, so I guess I'll use the former when abbreviating.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Duck Hunt is the name of a game. Duck Hunt Dog is the character starring in that game, and the name he was referred to as during his previous appearance in Crusade. And Mr. Peepers is his proper name.
Crusade isn't even an official appearance, it's a fan made project. You have a better justification to call Mario "Jumpman".

The name of the character is Duck Hunt. The character and moveset pulls several characters from the game together into a single fighting entity. You are not playing as the dog, you are playing as the entire game.

Personally, though, I don't think it's going to matter. After hearing "Duck Hunt" being used by the fans and announcers for the first few hundred times, I'm sure everyone's going to get over their obsessive protectiveness of the name. "Duck Hunt Dog" is only being used because it was the name used in the forums before the official reveal. People will either realize how silly it is to keep using an unofficial name, or just get sick of typing out an extra word.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Calling it Duck Hunt since it's the official name and that's how the character should be referred as when officially discussing the game.

In my head, though, I'll be calling them Donald & Goofy.

Sagashi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sagashi
Calling it Duck Hunt since it's the official name and that's how the character should be referred as when officially discussing the game.

In my head, though, I'll be calling them Donald & Goofy.
I'm gonna stick with Banjo-Kazooie myself.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Crusade isn't even an official appearance, it's a fan made project. You have a better justification to call Mario "Jumpman".

The name of the character is Duck Hunt. The character and moveset pulls several characters from the game together into a single fighting entity. You are not playing as the dog, you are playing as the entire game.

Personally, though, I don't think it's going to matter. After hearing "Duck Hunt" being used by the fans and announcers for the first few hundred times, I'm sure everyone's going to get over their obsessive protectiveness of the name. "Duck Hunt Dog" is only being used because it was the name used in the forums before the official reveal. People will either realize how silly it is to keep using an unofficial name, or just get sick of typing out an extra word.
You think I don't know Crusade isn't an official appearance? It's what I'm used to. And to me, calling the dog and duck "Duck Hunt" is as silly as, well...

:4shulk: Hey guys! Xenoblade got confirmed! The leak is real!

:4mario: Super Mario Bros. is such a balanced character.

:lucas: I can't believe Mother 3 got cut.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I've been referring to the pair as Duck Hunt ever since the leak began. Duck Hunt Dog just has a bad ring to it and it assumes the dog is the focal point of the moveset.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
You are not playing as the dog, you are playing as the entire game.
Well you're playing more than 'Duck Hunt' then aren't you? You're really playing several light gun games, among which is DH. Maybe the Character should really be called "Zapper" or something instead. And 'Pacman' is more appropriately 'Namco', since you could argue that you are not playing as Pacman, but as a rotating collective of Namco games and characters.

Majora999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Majora999
Well you're playing more than 'Duck Hunt' then aren't you? You're really playing several light gun games, among which is DH. Maybe the Character should really be called "Zapper" or something instead. And 'Pacman' is more appropriately 'Namco', since you could argue that you are not playing as Pacman, but as a rotating collective of Namco games and characters.
Except you're not. Pac-Man's Namco references are blown hugely out of proportion.

Literally one move and one taunt.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
And how many non-DH zapper games are present in DHD's move set?
Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley

The dog uses the tin can from Hogan's Alley and enemies from Wild Gunman in his special moves and his final smash mixes them both together.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Duck Hunt doesn't really sound like a character name to me. I usually think of it in terms of Duck Hunt Dog as the focal point of the character, with the duck and hunter augmenting him, like Rosalina and Luma, and Olimar and Pikmin. (Not to mention the awful mondegreen formed by this character name.)

When I think of names for the duo individually, I like to think of them as Duck Dastardly and Muttley.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
It still exists though, you're just adding 'dog' to the end of it
The way I've heard it, the focus goes to the dog part of the name when spoken casually. When you just say "duck hunt" on it's own, it's harder to avoid.

I'm not even sure why we're arguing this. It doesn't really matter overall whether or not "dog" is added to the end beyond personal preference. Like you say, the mondegreen is still there if you try hard enough. It all boils down to whether or not you see the dog as the focal point of the character.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The way I've heard it, the focus goes to the dog part of the name when spoken casually. When you just say "duck hunt" on it's own, it's harder to avoid.

I'm not even sure why we're arguing this. It doesn't really matter overall whether or not "dog" is added to the end beyond personal preference. Like you say, the mondegreen is still there if you try hard enough. It all boils down to whether or not you see the dog as the focal point of the character.
Or, viewed objectively, it boils down to using the character's actual name.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Or, viewed objectively, it boils down to using the character's actual name.
By that logic, Popo and Nana should only be called "The Ice Climbers." Lines get blurry with group characters like this.

Last edited:

Spudboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
spudboy
By that logic, Popo and Nana should only be called "The Ice Climbers." Lines get blurry with group characters like this.
Do you refer to them as "Popo and Nana" when referring to the character? I've always called them "Ice Climbers."

Which hasn't been officially revealed or discovered in English, no?
The ESRB leak called them "Duck Hunt" iirc.

Top Bottom