• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you gonna switch to "Duck Hunt" or keep "Duck Hunt Dog"

Switch Over?

• Duck Hunt

Votes: 67 42.9%
  • Duck Hunt Dog

Votes: 89 57.1%

• Total voters

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
He was commonly referred to as Duck Hunt Dog throughout eve before the leak.

However his name is now Duck Hunt, and I still see people use Duck Hunt Dog or DHD.

Will you switch over?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I think I'm gonna stick with DHD, but I'll try to remember to call him Duck Hunt. But DHD is so handy...and a Stargate reference \o/

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
TBH, kinda difficult now, because the Duck is now also part of the character, so they're like a duo.

Personally I'll call them DH, or "Duck & Hunt (The Runt) "

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I use "Duck Hunt Dog" when referring to the dog himself. But as the character as a whole, I will use "Duck Hunt" like when I refer to the character's Final Smash, for example.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
TBH, kinda difficult now, because the Duck is now also part of the character, so they're like a duo.

Personally I'll call them DH, or "Duck & Hunt (The Runt) "
Considering those who speak English read left to right I find it amusing that it ends up implying the Dog's name is Duck. It's groovy bby.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The character is called Duck Hunt. The dog, the duck and even the hunter (who is part of the moveset) are the character. Duck Hunt in Super Smash Bros. is a character representing the "Duck Hunt" game as a whole (as well as other games like Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunman), so calling them "Duck Hunt Dog" doesn't make much sense IMO.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
DHD makes more sense to me. "Duck Hunt" (jointly) in this context is an adjective and feels unnatural to refer to a character, a noun, as such. The character is a dog, "Duck Hunt" is a modifier that describes what type of dog he is. So I like DHD. I don't care that the duck is there with him (for whatever reason), the duck is assisting him, an auxiliary really. I think the 'character' is principally the dog.

Khynoe

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chaldene
3DS FC
1762-2818-4371
I'm probably gonna stick with DHD, the cheers from the audience also say "Duck Hunt Dog" IIRC.

Reila

DHD makes more sense to me. "Duck Hunt" (jointly) in this context is an adjective and feels unnatural to refer to a character, a noun, as such. The character is a dog, "Duck Hunt" is a modifier that describes what type of dog he is. So I like DHD. I don't care that the duck is there with him (for whatever reason), the duck is assisting him, an auxiliary really. I think the 'character' is principally the dog.
But the character is called Duck Hunt. Calling THEM Duck Hunt Dog is like calling Pikachu "Raichu" or something. It doesn't make sense.

And it is not only the Duck. The hunter is also there, pay attention to Duck Hunt's gameplay videos.

Reila

By the way...

The winner is... "Duck Hunt"

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
I kind of want him to just be referred to as "Dog" so there's a chance for a pallet swap where a sprite of Dog the Bounty Hunter's head is put over the character's head

Ove

Smash Journeyman
The dog is Duck Hunt Doge for sure. But what are we going to call the duck? It needs a name worthy its gracefulness.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
Also, in SSB Crusade, the character is called "Duck Hunt Dog", but the dog is the primary character, with Crusade DHD using ducks, clay pigeons, and the Zapper as attacks. I think that's the reason why the DHD name sticks, even though Smash 4's character is a composite of the dog, duck, the hunter from the fourth wall, and attacks based on Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman

MooMoo_Cowfreak

Smash Rookie
Duck Hunt just doesn't feel right, it's the name of the game not the character.

I mean we don't call Link "The Legend of Zelda."

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Both, I guess? If I was talking about the dog, I'd use Duck Hunt Dog or DH Dog, but if I was talking about the duck, then it'd be Duck Hunt Duck or DH Duck. That being said, I don't think there are any other Nintendo characters named "Dog" or "Duck", so I might go with just Duck Hunt for the team, but refer them individually as "the Dog" and "the Duck" - why does that sound like code-names for some spy, action thriller? Did I confuse anyone?

Last edited:

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it makes sense to think that the 'game known as Duck Hunt' is the the character. Sure, other characters appear to attack and assist, but how many people insist on calling Olimar 'Olimar and Pikmin', or better yet, why did we never call the Pokemon Trainer 'Pokemon Red Version'?
Well for Olimar you technically are playing as both and I guess the name Pikmin is included in his title because he's a niche character and they didn't want people to not know what game he's from. Not sure what you're getting at with the other thing but I believe I explained my reasons pretty well. You don't have to agree, it's the great thing about having an opinion.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well for Olimar you technically are playing as both and I guess the name Pikmin is included in his title because he's a niche character and they didn't want people to not know what game he's from. Not sure what you're getting at with the other thing but I believe I explained my reasons pretty well. You don't have to agree, it's the great thing about having an opinion.
In Japan, Olimar is called Pikmin & Olimar - Alph is Pikmin & Olimar too. I don't know why that didn't go through overseas.

Overclocked

Smash Cadet
NNID
superfamicomwars
I think I'll just keep calling them Duck Hunt Dog. Although Rosalina's character name is technically Rosalina and Luma, most people still just refer to the two characters individually.
That said, if the community begins calling them just Duck Hunt, then I will probably switch to that name.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Duck Hunt Dog, sometime I wanna call him Mr. Peppers.

HE IS JUST A FREAKING DOG THAT DOES DON'T DO NOTHING THAN LAUGH HOW COOL IS THAT.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think I'll just keep calling them Duck Hunt Dog. Although Rosalina's character name is technically Rosalina and Luma, most people still just refer to the two characters individually.
That said, if the community begins calling them just Duck Hunt, then I will probably switch to that name.
Rosetta & Chiko. Chico... Hahaha! Damn it, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker! You ruined the word "Chico" for me! The way David Hayter says it is just hilarious - he drags out the "oh" part of "chee-kooh"... I'll be in my corner...

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Considering you're basically playing as the game Duck Hunt as a composite entity, I will call them "Duck Hunt". The name makes sense, and I'm more interested in the duck and hunter parts of the moveset than the dog anyway. If I'm referring to the specific characters that make up Duck Hunt, I will call them "dog" or "duck", but if I'm speaking in context of the entity as a fighter, then it will be "Duck Hunt".

Examples:
"Look at that taunt! The dog is hilarious."
"Those duck attacks are so annoying. I hate those moves."
"Who do you main? Duck Hunt?"
"Hey, did you unlock Duck Hunt yet?"

Of course, I'm pretty much expecting them to redub the fighter as "Duck Hunt Dog" or some similar variation for the Western releases, which I'm not looking forward to. A similar thing happened in Brawl. Pikmin & Olimar > Olimar.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Considering you're basically playing as the game Duck Hunt as a composite entity, I will call them "Duck Hunt".
You're only really in control of the dog and the dog is the only element of the 'character' that is being treated as a fighter (with a persisting hitbox, damage, it's the thing that grabs and gets grabbed, etc) That's why especially the gunmen but arguably even the duck are just there assisting the dog, rather than being principally controlled or interacting in the game as fighters.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You're only really in control of the dog and the dog is the only element of the 'character' that is being treated as a fighter (with a persisting hitbox, damage, it's the thing that grabs and gets grabbed, etc) That's why especially the gunmen but arguably even the duck are just there assisting the dog, rather than being principally controlled or interacting in the game as fighters.
But with the Ice Climbers, you're mostly controlling Popo while Nana mimics him.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
But with the Ice Climbers, you're mostly controlling Popo while Nana mimics him.
They are a unique case however. Since Nana has her own boxes, can manipulate items, etc and as such is treated as a fighter in the game, even if patially cpu controlled.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
They are a unique case however. Since Nana has her own boxes, can manipulate items, etc and as such is treated as a fighter in the game, even if patially cpu controlled.
I just realized something about being treated as one fighter despite being a team: Wolf Link & Midna. Duck Hunt is made up of a duck riding a dog. Midna rides Wolf Link and helps out like how the duck helps out the dog. Hmm, future semi-clone since this sort of gameplay works?

Anyway, then Rosalina & Luma and Olimar/Alph & Pikmin are on the same boat as the Ice Climbers, but Duck Hunt is not. Duck Hunt is still a team even though the dog might be doing most of the work. It's like a crocodile and Plover bird relationship.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen much of how Luma works exactly so correct me if I'm wrong about this, but isn't Luma much like the pikmin in that (s?)he can't grab, use items or get 'ko'd' in the normal sense? If so, I'd say they are more like glorfied, personified items, whereas with Nana I wouldnt say that. Nana is also perfectly interchangable with Popo, and can be controlled and switched through the alt costumes. That's never true of the pikmin nor luma I'm assuming, right?

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I haven't seen much of how Luma works exactly so correct me if I'm wrong about this, but isn't Luma much like the pikmin in that (s?)he can't grab, use items or get 'ko'd' in the normal sense? If so, I'd say they are more like glorfied, personified items, whereas with Nana I wouldnt say that. Nana is also perfectly interchangable with Popo, and can be controlled and switched through the alt costumes. That's never true of the pikmin nor luma I'm assuming, right?
Yes, you can murder Luma and Pikmin and only Pikmin can gather stuff for Olimar/Alph like in their own games.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
The pikmin can be 'killed', but not really 'ko'd'. They can't grab or control items. Isnt all of this true for Luma as well?

Top Bottom