• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are You A Noob?

_Kip

Smash Cadet
NNID
kopipop
Switch FC
6818-8600-2211
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sirlin's Scrub. Check out sirlin.net on 'playing to win'. It is another good read like this. I feel it gives a finer detailed description of what this thread calls a noob (usually called a Scrub).

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm almost not a noob. I seem to have this magic ability of not knowing about advanced techs, and not being able to use them correctly. I just can't seem to get them right, or used the right way. That's about all I have to work on.

W-man

Smash Cadet
Yes... yes ! I'm a Noob. I can't adapt myself to loathe Ganondorf. More, I'm compulsive when I play, cause I continually run from any direction to the other to get my opponent. But until now, I must asset it works. Perhaps I can't stop myself winning matches with Ganon ? Is there any sociological expert anywhere to classify my case...

Kros

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sirlin's Scrub. Check out sirlin.net on 'playing to win'. It is another good read like this. I feel it gives a finer detailed description of what this thread calls a noob (usually called a Scrub).
Is that the one where they basically define if your a SFII noob?

ZonedOut

Smash Cadet
Thanks to everyone who has posted so far and to everyone who thought it enjoyable.

My apologies to all the Ganon mains who are still in denial about their character. It's one of the stages of grief. You'll pull through it.

P.S: Yeah I've read Sirlin's essay on scrubs. It was very good.

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
That's some sophisticated stuff :D Really funny! Made my day.
I don't have Brawl yet (since I reside in Europe) but in melee I guess I was a step before pro status before I quit.
And seriously keep the replies coming I wanna read more!

XHMI

Smash Rookie
Nice Thread

I agree with the definition, and most of the people I play against are in this catagory
I'm actually border edge on being a n00b

so, in that case, how do you leave the state of being a n00b

ZonedOut

Smash Cadet
That's some sophisticated stuff :D Really funny! Made my day.
I don't have Brawl yet (since I reside in Europe) but in melee I guess I was a step before pro status before I quit.
And seriously keep the replies coming I wanna read more!
Thanks! :D Glad you enjoyed it.

Well I've been thinking about doing an 'Are You An Elitist?' thread but I don't know how the mods would take that. I think this barely makes it into this forum at all.

It's sad how much Europe has to suffer to get games.

Nice Thread

I agree with the definition, and most of the people I play against are in this catagory
I'm actually border edge on being a n00b

so, in that case, how do you leave the state of being a n00b
You change your mentality and allow yourself to expand and progress. Don't feel the need for quick rewards and don't become overly coompulsive. That's basically how you 'evolve'.

Oathblivion

Smash Apprentice
I feel that it is necessary to make a separation between n00bs and those that just plain suck at Smash. I noticed that most of your points involve the homo-noobus getting pwned as a result of their narrow mindedness. I don't possess a single quality on that list (except for possibly rushing for counter KOs), yet I suck horribly. Does my lack of talent make degrade me to n00b status, or is attitude all that matters?

Regardless of this one gripe, it was a good and funny read. I enjoyed it. -Oath

ZonedOut

Smash Cadet
I feel that it is necessary to make a separation between n00bs and those that just plain suck at Smash. I noticed that most of your points involve the homo-noobus getting pwned as a result of their narrow mindedness. I don't possess a single quality on that list (except for possibly rushing for counter KOs), yet I suck horribly. Does my lack of talent make degrade me to n00b status, or is attitude all that matters?

Regardless of this one gripe, it was a good and funny read. I enjoyed it. -Oath
Even if you suck at smash you aren't automatically classified as a noob unless you have the mindset of a noob. So it's definitely all in the attitude.

Mr. Spam & Death

Smash Rookie
Well I guess I'm kinda a noob... Only because I can't seem to adapt to a persons playstyle until it's too late.

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget about the newbies. Newbies and Noobs are different as the noobs are defined in your thread and newbies are new players to the game

ZonedOut

Smash Cadet
Thanks to all who have posted thus far!

Zanoske - True. Thanks for clarifying that newbie are not nessecarily noobs.
S&D - Many of us have trouble adapting until the last minute.

N M E

Smash Apprentice
I was a meele n00b at first, i suppose.
But that's because i like to learn from my mistakes and do things my way,
But you live n' learn.

Zench

Smash Cadet
i have to say.. that i lost a little respect for the forums reading this thread.
(i do not wish to comment about what i just said, just let it be)

Best101

Smash Ace
I think you should edit out the first part of your post. The part where you are practically asking for trouble for no reason.

ZonedOut

Smash Cadet
Best101 - I edited it to make it less insulting.

i have to say.. that i lost a little respect for the forums reading this thread.
(i do not wish to comment about what i just said, just let it be)
I'm sorry that you feel that way :(

Thanks to everyone who has posted thus far.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
There is a quality that might be considered whenever classifying who is a n00b or not.

My friend studies up on Brawl, he doesn't put mental limits on himself, he has no qualities of a n00b. The problem is, he just doesn't have the technical ability (reflexes if you will) to compete with other people. That is the only thing holding him back from having a chance against normal competition. So the question is, is he a n00b? He's trying to get better at the game, he's attempting to "evolve", while actual n00bs never attempt that transition. Do we then classify him as a n00b, and if not, then where does he fit in?

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
As long as he doesn't act or have a mind of one, then he isn't classified as a noob. It's ok if he doesn't want to compete with other people as he may be shy and afraid that he might be flamed or something. But encourage him to play with other people as he will get better and better with each match.

To me, he is not a noob, in my personal opinion. But as Zone says, as long as he allows himself to progress and expand and not feel the need for quick rewards, then he is on the right track

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
As long as he doesn't act or have a mind of one, then he isn't classified as a noob. It's ok if he doesn't want to compete with other people as he may be shy and afraid that he might be flamed or something. But encourage him to play with other people as he will get better and better with each match.

To me, he is not a noob, in my personal opinion. But as Zone says, as long as he allows himself to progress and expand and not feel the need for quick rewards, then he is on the right track
The issue isn't that he is not playing the right people or that he isn't motivated to actually compete (trust me, he likes competitions in general). What I am asking is if his technical (or lack of) ability could be considered a true quality of a n00b. I think it isn't but I have heard varying opinions and I wanted to see what people here on Smashboards thought.

ZonedOut

Smash Cadet
Technical competence (or the lack there of) does not classify you as a noob. A noob has no knowledge of techs or if he does he doesn't practice or try to get better at them.

Hope that helps.

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
Technical competence (or the lack there of) does not classify you as a noob. A noob has no knowledge of techs or if he does he doesn't practice or try to get better at them.

Hope that helps.
What Zone said :p Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't know what to say >< since i'm bad at situations like this

Hype

Smash Lord
technical problems are way easier to overcome than the mental aspects IMO.

although i am relativly new to the Smash series I'm not a noob (by your deinition) because I have developed so much as a gamer from FPS's. For a while now, along with other things, my main objective has been to never become Phazed by frustration, zen if you will. That is one of the hardest obsticles to overcome to be a great player.

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
technical problems are way easier to overcome than the mental aspects IMO.

although i am relativly new to the Smash series I'm not a noob (by your deinition) because I have developed so much as a gamer from FPS's. For a while now, along with other things, my main objective has been to never become Phazed by frustration, zen if you will. That is one of the hardest obsticles to overcome to be a great player.
I meant bad at situations of explanation :p but anyways, yes, you are not classified as a noob but you can be called a newbie since you are relatively new to the SSB series. but not in a bad way. And yes, being phazed by frustration will not lead you anywhere and you may as well quit, which is bad because if you want to be a great player, you have to show dedication and never give up.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well thanks a lot for the input guys. Seriously, I've heard from people that really do think that people with technical "difficulties" are n00bs and I was just wondering what other people would think.

ZonedOut

Smash Cadet
Thanks to all who have posted.

Special thanks goes to Zanoske for answering questions while I am away.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
nice read and from it i don't think im a noob. but i do become very impatient at times and its hard to over come that sometimes. mostly cause in other fighters im a very offensive fighter. can i get a tip on how to get past that?

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
nice read and from it i don't think im a noob. but i do become very impatient at times and its hard to over come that sometimes. mostly cause in other fighters im a very offensive fighter. can i get a tip on how to get past that?
Maybe you can try going defensive?I.E let the enemy come to you.
If you keep going aggressive you'll find yourself being more impatient and make mistakes as you play. But this is just my opinion of what I said because i never go offensive a lot. Zone's answer will definitely help you.

Novan007

Smash Rookie
Very well written and thought out. I thought mostly all of it was true and it was pretty funny too.

I loved the part about noobs practicing on lvl 9 CPU's! I know this guy who fits this category all to well and is like, "i practiced a bunch and I can all-ways beat lvl 9 CPUs! Why Can't I beat U?" haha, noobs....

O, and what is with Kirby being able make hats out of no where? I never questioned it before, but it is kinda strange.... or amazing...

Top Bottom