• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are We Too Politically Correct?

Are we too politically correct?

• Yes

Votes: 112 74.7%
  • No. We are just fine.

Votes: 25 16.7%
  • No. We need to go farther?

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Buttfacetry? smh

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I believe this topic needs no more further explanation. I'm sure we all know the issue at hand.

So, do you think we've gone to far in our attempt to stop general buttfacetry?

Do you think we're just fine?

Or perhaps we should go even farther?

What do you all think?

NNID
Budget_Player
I believe this topic needs no more further explanation.
Pffthahahahahahaha.

Are you ****ting me? :laugh: The topic of "what is political correctness" absolutely needs explanation. I have no idea what you mean by that term. Do you mean the general attempts of the popular media to be more inclusive, including labeling marginalized and disadvantaged groups by the terms they would prefer be used, i.e. "people" instead of "men", "african-american" instead of "negro", "little people" instead of "*******", et cetera? Are we talking about attempts to censor humor because it stretches the boundaries of what some consider "tasteful", or attempts to protect mean-spirited, tasteless humor under the guise of "fighting the PC police"?

Political correctness is not some clearly-defined term with a universally understood meaning. More than anything, it's a snarl word used to ascribe some negative valuation to, well, whatever the person in question wants to devalue (usually social justice and attempts to get people to stop being assholes), which takes its usefulness explicitly from not being clearly defined, but rather occupying a space in the cultural psyche that is firmly negative, but also unclear enough to apply to just about anything.

For what it's worth, the way most people use the term, you can pretty much just sub in Moviebob's thoughts for mine:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I intended to leave it open so that all spectrums of it can be explored.

NNID
Budget_Player
I intended to leave it open so that all spectrums of it can be explored.
But that gives us absolutely nothing to work with. As said, the whole point of "political correctness" as used in the spectrum of, say, right-wing talk show hosting, is that it's a vague term with no clear definition beyond a clearly negative connotation. People don't like Mencia's racism? It's because he's "being politically incorrect", and the lefties can't stand that. People think that they'd rather not support Limbaugh's week-long dishonest misogynistic tirade against a woman who wants the birth control pill covered by health insurance? It's because "The PC police is at it again"! What does political correctness mean here? "Not being a jerk"? Seriously, if you're not going to define the term, a debate about whether we have too much of it is pointless. You might as well be saying "Do we have too much squeegleglobin?"

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Quite recently I've found myself believing (through personal experience) that the term "african america" is SO politically correct, that it is almost offensive. Literally the rest of the world calls "african americans" simply 'black,' but America has set a side a super "nice" way to say it, and it almost feels like calling someone an "african american" is distinctly dancing around it and trying really hard not to be racist.

Other than that, I don't really have strong feelings about political correctness. As long as I'm not purposefully being a jerk, I really don't care how people respond. Only if my ignorance leads me to reasonably offend someone and they tell me will I ever apologize and try to fix it. If I think someone is being unreasonably offended, I will simply shrug it off or not respond because I don't have to care.

There is only one sensitive topic I'm uncertain about. Quite often in places I hangout, I run into trans people. My greatest blunder is always using improper pronouns, and I always apologize and feel quite bad. Especially if I see someone and I'm uncertain on what pronoun to use, I kind of feel overwhelmed by the pressure of getting it right. Many of these people's entire lives revolves around gender identity, and I'm sure it sucks to be called wrongly. I don't quite know if I would blame someone for, if they were corrected by someone, to roll their eyes or say'whatever,' because it honestly doesn't matter to me what gender you identify with, it's just cumbersome to have to play it like a game. If there was a gender neutral noun that didnt sound incredibly stupid to say, I would use it on everyone all the time.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
I think we as a country are way to politically correct. I feel as if saying the littlest thing can offend,even if it is just a joke that was meant to get a laugh. Children these days think it is racist to call someone by their race. This baffles me how are these kids are being rased to be ultra politically correct. Our country goes overboard with the pollitical correctness. we try to create ways of going about and saying simple facts in a very nice way like calling "black people" african americans. Sure we have to be politically correct but we dont have to be overly pollitically correct just to avoid offending a few people who take something the wrong way. I am not racist,sexist or againtst the LGBT community in any way. I think any type of discrimination is wrong,but i still think we have gone to far with the whole being politically correct thing.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I don't think we're being too politically correct, no. If anything we're being more accepting of people who deserve it and less tolerant of racists and other bigots whose opinions simply should not matter.

What I find most troubling is how bigots have learned to appropriate "political correctness" and its rhetoric to justify discrimination. Like those laws that have been passed in several states protecting religious people's supposed right to discriminate against gay people, because being forced to treat the LGBT community as equals would stop them from practicing (the discrimination) part of their own religion. I wish people wouldn't fall for that and just come out and say that bigots don't have the right to be bigots anymore.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yes and No.

Yes in the sense that today's society is generally more sensitive to comments and are quick to feel insulted a lot of times. No in the sense that theirs a lot of hateful people that want to use "PC" as a means to justify whatever bigoted, hateful nonsense their trying to spread.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Warning Received
By and large, "political correctness" is just basic politeness towards disenfranchised groups. So, no, I don't think it's a problem in the slightest, and the people who complain about it usually just want to be assholes without social repercussions. That said, not every argument for political correctness is educated or reasonable. #CancelColbert (which argues for the abolition of an entire rhetorical structure on the grounds that some people might not understand it) comes to mind.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Quite recently I've found myself believing (through personal experience) that the term "african america" is SO politically correct, that it is almost offensive. Literally the rest of the world calls "african americans" simply 'black,' but America has set a side a super "nice" way to say it, and it almost feels like calling someone an "african american" is distinctly dancing around it and trying really hard not to be racist.
Let's just forget the fact that the term doesn't even make sense because not all black people are from Africa.

MrFilibrawler

Smash Rookie
It is a real, huge world out there... it appears that people can't do anything without offending at least someone. So I say, tread carefully and don't goomba stomp too many people's heads, the term "politically correct" can vary from person to person and while it may have concrete meaning, it doesn't equal concrete ideologies.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
Political correctness is what frauds invoke when faced with criticism and what cowards hide behind to avoid offending others. It is to sacrifice long-term integrity for the sake of short-term appeasement.

@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei Your question is a bit like asking "are we too inconsistent?" What amount of inconsistency would be considered acceptable in an ideally consistent world? Zero.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Every society has their views of what is politically correct, this is even true of individual communities.

In the wider American society right now, being nice to minorities that were historically persecuted certainly beats scientific racism being politically correct.

Because society always has it's mores and will always punish you socially when you defy them. But right now most of what is politically correct is simply... you know not being a terrible person.

Which is of course not an excuse to be inauthentic about your views, but simply because society condemns them does not somehow make your views justified.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Im only 13, so dont take me serious.
I say we are to politically correct.
I ll just talk about a school experience,
So, at school so many people jumped on me for saying "Black".
My teacher told me to say African American. That I disagree with. The man I was talking about was INDEED black. I dont meed to be politically correct when talking about a nationality. If I were to use a worse word, then yes, destroy me. but last time I checked, black is a race of people. As is African American. But I should not be forced to call a black person African American.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Im only 13, so dont take me serious.
I say we are to politically correct.
I ll just talk about a school experience,
So, at school so many people jumped on me for saying "Black".
My teacher told me to say African American. That I disagree with. The man I was talking about was INDEED black. I dont meed to be politically correct when talking about a nationality. If I were to use a worse word, then yes, destroy me. but last time I checked, black is a race of people. As is African American. But I should not be forced to call a black person African American.
Americans are overly sensitive about calling African Americans "black" because of slavery + a relatively large amount of modern racism.

Everyone else in the entire world says "black," and honestly it's annoying that people get offended by "black" at all. You're young, so let me make a clear point. Just because people are offended doesn't make them right, but it does make the reasons they are offended worth considering.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Well technically African American makes no sense at all, since you know he's probably just an american that has never lived in Africa nor immigrated from there. So he's just an American.

If I'm to be called White because you know I appear white (even though I'm Asian - Latin - American) then a Black person is to be called Black. If you call me Anglo American (which is incorrect), then ok I'll call you an African American.

The N-word is another topic that is so dumb in modern days. It's such a sensitive word, but it's used so frequently by the black community as some idiotic term for friends and close acquaintances. This is moronic on 2 levels - You are perpetuating the existence of the word you want no one else to use anymore, and secondly you get offended by a word that you yourself use as the opposite meaning. So technically if you just ignore people that use the N-word in a way you for some nonsense reason don't approve of then it doesn't affect you anymore and it loses it's power. Literally just act as if they mean it the way all the rappers and your thug friends use it, they are just trying to be your buddy. Problem gone, word loses it's negative stigma. Just like ignoring a troll.

Last edited:

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think that the term "African-American" isn't all that great. A black friend of one of my friends was a purely French person, he knew absolutely no English, yet people called him "African-American".

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The reason for that is essentially the revolving door of terminology, because frankly american society views being black as a bad thing therefore the terms acquire negative meanings by their association with being black. It's similar to the reason that people started using "that's so gay" to mean something sucks after it started being used as slang for gay people. Language reflects people's biases.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Well technically African American makes no sense at all, since you know he's probably just an american that has never lived in Africa nor immigrated from there. So he's just an American.

If I'm to be called White because you know I appear white (even though I'm Asian - Latin - American) then a Black person is to be called Black. If you call me Anglo American (which is incorrect), then ok I'll call you an African American.

The N-word is another topic that is so dumb in modern days. It's such a sensitive word, but it's used so frequently by the black community as some idiotic term for friends and close acquaintances. This is moronic on 2 levels - You are perpetuating the existence of the word you want no one else to use anymore, and secondly you get offended by a word that you yourself use as the opposite meaning. So technically if you just ignore people that use the N-word in a way you for some nonsense reason don't approve of then it doesn't affect you anymore and it loses it's power. Literally just act as if they mean it the way all the rappers and your thug friends use it, they are just trying to be your buddy. Problem gone, word loses it's negative stigma. Just like ignoring a troll.
Its a good thing some black people will let you say it. I dont remember who, but at my school I had candy (Everyone really wanted a lollipop but I was selling) so a huge group surrounded me. This one guy said I was his... You know what. I was confused because you don't really see black people telling that to someone who looks white.
I agree. I hear so many people in my neighborhood call each other that. I am sure they are the kind of people that would get offended if someone else called them that... based on how they act.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People are weird. I think it depends on the general feeling more than the actual actions.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I believe this topic needs no more further explanation. I'm sure we all know the issue at hand.

So, do you think we've gone to far in our attempt to stop general buttfacetry?

Do you think we're just fine?

Or perhaps we should go even farther?

What do you all think?
As a American who believes highly (and exercises religiously) the freedom of speech, I believe political correctness has absolutely spiraled out of control

You can't say "illegals" today without it paying a price on your grades.
The censorship is real and unjustified.

We've reached the point of political correctness where we're made to be careful with our words so we don't hurt other peoples feelings. This is the real world, its not kindergarten and its not okay. We've gone too far.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Hmm, I'm not sure if we're "too politically correct" or if what's politically correct just fails to overlap with what's socially correct recently and so we notice it more and are dissatisfied more.

What was true 20 years ago is less true today and acting like things are the same and progress hasn't been made is impeding further process, I feel.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I can't stomach the censorship of freedom of speech. Every time a well-known person voices a lucid and respectful-enough opinion about a sensitive topic there is backlash. Same thing if somebody in an interview uses the term "black people" or something like "gays" in a respectful context people throw their hands in the air and demand an apology. Also, I don't know how many of you have watched foreign commercials but they are outrageous and funny. We are just too 'sensitive' to produce commercials like that or to allow the word 'damn' in a music video on MTV when they play their daily one hour or so of music. It's disturbing to me. We can all take notes from Europeans on how to be more open-minded. As of now, our culture needs to grow up.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I can't stomach the censorship of freedom of speech. Every time a well-known person voices a lucid and respectful-enough opinion about a sensitive topic there is backlash. Same thing if somebody in an interview uses the term "black people" or something like "gays" in a respectful context people throw their hands in the air and demand an apology. Also, I don't know how many of you have watched foreign commercials but they are outrageous and funny. We are just too 'sensitive' to produce commercials like that or to allow the word 'damn' in a music video on MTV when they play their daily one hour or so of music. It's disturbing to me. We can all take notes from Europeans on how to be more open-minded. As of now, our culture needs to grow up.
^ This, so much this.

You pretty much hit the nail into the stud. Censorship is, in any form, a evil to the eyes of expression. The censorship on the radio is pathetic. You take a song that is pretty profane, like Five Finger Death Punch's "Jekyll and Hyde" for instance, and you make that song abide to the FCC's babyish regulations. Its a ear-sore to listen to. Our society has become such that its almost in a nanny type of state. We can't say something, even if its necessary to be said, because it might hurt the other persons feelings. That's complete and utter bull****. The freedom of speech is sacred, not to be touched by those who value censorship.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
The majority of people that think that politcal correctness is bad are usually people who are terrified of having their lives ruined by a single comment. I can understand why they'd be upset, but I can assure you that a vast majority of people shouldn't be worried, unless a crime was involved with it. It seems only an issue to extremely influential and big brand people. Even if you don't follow basic internet etiquette and "think before you post", you're reatively fine

The dangerous part is when people who are extremely bigoted try to attack it. Their goal is to destroy it so they don't have to worry about consequences. It's vital to remember that, not too long ago, people could spread racist rhetoric and bigoted vitriol with out any real fear of backslash. If we got rid of political correctness, that would be a big step back in terms of civil rights movements.

The great thing about political correctness is that it empowers minorities and oppressed people through social media. It really gives these people a louder voice, and brings down bigoted and powerful people who would've been untouchable a couple of decades ago. It also sets a strong message that there is serious consequences for being publicly hateful towards people.

All in all, I think the pros outweigh whatever cons it has. Besides, it's not like we can stop the internet from being the way it is anyway.

:150:

Last edited:

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
My issue with political correctness (put broadly) is that it is inherently dishonest. I'm almost always am a fan of honesty and truth over not hurting someone's feelings. I think we need to grow up as a society and decide that we're going to be alienated sometimes, but in life you have bigger fish to fry.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
There are good and bad things to having a PC culture. However, I do think respecting those of other religions, races, orientations, etc by watching what you say and do. I just don't understand people who thinks it's "cool" to not have a filter and then expect them to be fine with it.

I don't look at my wife in the morning (who is Japanese) and say "Holy hell, you look like Nagasaki this morning." That is incredibly insulting and rude obviously. However, I hear tons of Nagasaki/Hiroshima jokes that are supposed to be funny but they are just horrible.

When I meet someone for the first time, I am respectful and polite. I avoid trigger words and phrases that they might take offensively. Why ruin a portentially fruitful relationship just because of "free speech". I have tons of friends and acquaintances from are American, Japanese, Beitish, Chinese, Egyptian, Australian, Pakistani, Russian, Mexican, gay, lesbian, feminist, atheist, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, etc etc. I learn to know what is acceptable around them And they know what's acceptable around me. But that's just me and my philosophy. It would be great if we could respect each other's beliefs but, obviously, some people can't keep thier thoughts to themselves.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Well I think the true danger in being too PC is that it makes everyone fake, and it forces people to lie about who they really are and what they really feel.

As a result you get a ton of backstabbing and talking behind people's back which leads to rumors and gossip which leads people jumping to conclusions and acting on false information.

I'd rather live a world where people say offensive things and be honest INSTEAD of holding back, acting fake/polite to your face just to say it behind closed doors.

If someone's a racist I'd like to know instead of them secretly being rascists and perhaps behind the scenes their beliefs affecting something important (think - someone who hires others and prefers certain races). Or just in general, if they are racist or radically closed minded I'd like to know so I can avoid those kinds of people completely.

We should just go in the opposite direction of bringing kids up with the mentality that words are just words and you control how much they affect you and how much power they carry. Teach them to gauge how much stock they should put in other's opinions (you shouldn't care about stragers or randoms on the internet). As a result most end up being a bunch of whiny protected coddled babies, it's like living in a bubble your whole life, then coming out and instantly getting 20 diseases because you have not built up an immune system.When those innocent protected coddled kids get their first taste of how people really are they take it so seriously and deeply (even from total strangers or Internet trolls), they get suicidal, cut themselves, or some other dumb over the top reaction.

Last edited:

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Well I think the true danger in being too PC is that it makes everyone fake, and it forces people to lie about who they really are and what they really feel.

As a result you get a ton of backstabbing and talking behind people's back which leads to rumors and gossip which leads people jumping to conclusions and acting on false information.

I'd rather live a world where people say offensive things and be honest INSTEAD of holding back, acting fake/polite to your face just to say it behind closed doors.

If someone's a racist I'd like to know instead of them secretly being rascists and perhaps behind the scenes their beliefs affecting something important (think - someone who hires others and prefers certain races). Or just in general, if they are racist or radically closed minded I'd like to know so I can avoid those kinds of people completely.

We should just go in the opposite direction of bringing kids up with the mentality that words are just words and you control how much they affect you and how much power they carry. Teach them to gauge how much stock they should put in other's opinions (you shouldn't care about stragers or randoms on the internet). As a result most end up being a bunch of whiny protected coddled babies, it's like living in a bubble your whole life, then coming out and instantly getting 20 diseases because you have not built up an immune system.When those innocent protected coddled kids get their first taste of how people really are they take it so seriously and deeply (even from total strangers or Internet trolls), they get suicidal, cut themselves, or some other dumb over the top reaction.
Precisely. "Sticks and stones." It seems like everyone in my generation are wimps and are trying to find new ways to be offended...

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Precisely. "Sticks and stones." It seems like everyone in my generation are wimps and are trying to find new ways to be offended...
So when girl that gets a "Get back into the kitchen and make me a sandwich" should take it as a joke and something that will never be resolved? While I do agree there are those who find ridiculous ways to become "offended" in order to gain attention; I do think there are people who become generally offended and use that chance to raise awareness/bring attention to the subject. They suffer in silence if they don't.

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
To be honest, I was on the PC side of the issue but flipped because of the idea "just because you're offended doesn't mean you're in the right." If people would lighten up against the people that are joking or not meaning harm, then this wouldn't be nearly a problem.

Obviously, still go off on anyone purposefully being a ****, but otherwise it's becoming too much. Humor and sarcasm is what PC movement-ers need, and maybe a literal chill pill.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
So when girl that gets a "Get back into the kitchen and make me a sandwich" should take it as a joke and something that will never be resolved? While I do agree there are those who find ridiculous ways to become "offended" in order to gain attention; I do think there are people who become generally offended and use that chance to raise awareness/bring attention to the subject. They suffer in silence if they don't.
Think about the root of the offense.

It's the same when someone makes a offhand joke (maybe even a close friend), but it's actually in large part truth or at least an observation. You only take it personally if you ACTUALLY think it's truth or you feel others think that of you. You essentially make it offensive to yourself by affirming what others say.

If a girl takes offense to the dumb "Back to the kitchen make me a sammich" meme well then she has just given the people spamming it EXACTLY what they wanted and she's giving that meme more life and actual credibility.

THe key is to ignore such things, to a degree where you don't even acknowledge the joke or even understand why anyone would find it funny. It takes two to perpetuate a meme and offensive behavior, and things that no-ones finds funny anymore (or that don't affect others) lose popularity fast. Plus getting offended by anonymous strangers is the most naive and oblivious act you can partake in online or in real life.

Here's a pretty extreme example -

Let's say I'm at a Bar and some random drunk dude (or maybe he's sober) decides to walk over to my friends and I and say "Your mother's a wh*re".....well maybe a typical man with a short temper might start a fight over something so dumb, or at the least yell back at him.

^ Well me? I'd just ignore him, act as if he doesn't exists since at that point he's basically proven he's not worth my time. So I'll treat him like a nobody. He doesn't even know my mother and I don't know him, therefore his opinion carries 0 weight. He'll end up looking like a moron perhaps in front of his friends and the attempt to start something will have failed. Now if he touches me or pushes me.....anything goes at that point. I'd probably ask politely once, and then after that he's going to get curb-stomped for provoking me when I was minding my business.

Same goes for online, someone flinging insults at you, what is the point of reacting or even wasting time arguing. They don't know you, you don't know them and they are probably hiding behind a anonymous facade that's nothing like them.

Last edited:

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110

It's the same when someone makes a offhand joke (maybe even a close friend), but it's actually in large part truth or at least an observation. You only take it personally if you ACTUALLY think it's truth or you feel others think that of you. You essentially make it offensive to yourself by affirming what others say.

If a girl takes offense to the dumb "Back to the kitchen make me a sammich" meme well then she has just given the people spamming it EXACTLY what they wanted and she's giving that meme more life and actual credibility.

THe key is to ignore such things, to a degree where you don't even acknowledge the joke or even understand why anyone would find it funny. It takes two to perpetuate a meme and offensive behavior, and things that no-ones finds funny anymore (or that don't affect others) lose popularity fast. Plus getting offended by anonymous strangers is the most naive and oblivious act you can partake in online or in real life.

Let's say I'm at a Bar and some random drunk dude (or maybe he's sober) decides to walk over to my friends and I and say "Your mother's a wh*re".....well maybe a typical man with a short temper might start a fight over something so dumb, or at the least yell back at him.

^ Well me? I'd just ignore him, act as if he doesn't exists since at that point he's basically proven he's not worth my time. So I'll treat him like a nobody. He doesn't even know my mother and I don't know him, therefore his opinion carries 0 weight. He'll end up looking like a moron perhaps in front of his friends and the attempt to start something will have failed. Now if he touches me or pushes me.....anything goes at that point. I'd probably ask politely once, and then after that he's going to get curb-stomped for provoking me when I was minding my business.

Same goes for online, someone flinging insults at you, what is the point of reacting or even wasting time arguing. They don't know you, you don't know them and they are probably hiding behind a anonymous facade that's nothing like them.
Great examples of case studies for this are internet celebrities (and celebrities in general). They not only get mean messages all of the time, but they get death threats and actual reasons to be offended, or afraid.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

I understand where you are getting at and agree. I do think there are several layers to the issue though.

What happens when you just don't have a single person saying"You're mother is a *****" but, rather, the entire room is chanting it. A bit dramatic, yes but they are loud and hard to ignore...even if it's meant to be in a good light. My aunt is someone without a filter and constantly makes my wife uncomfortable. We ignored her for the most part but she would always say things like:

"So, you're from China right?"
"No, I'm from Japan."
"Japan...China...no difference."

Or

"Have you heard of a man name Jesus? Well, you're from Vietnam so I doubt it."

We ignored it but my wife is already sensitive about that type of thing. We've tried talking to her about watching what she says but then she gets angry with us for trying to "control her" while spouting about the liberal agenda. She thought she wasn't doing harm by what she said and, when my wife would get offended and walk away, she would say that my wife was being too sensitive. It got to the point that our entire family basically cut her off with zero contact. Haven't seen or heard from her for years.

There is a certain point where it's hard to ignore because either 1) it's become so toxic that it affects the persons health, 2) it gains momentum and a group backing, and 3) personal risk to oneself.

I just don't understand why people can't filter themselves out to be more approachable and understanding of people different from them. I guess it's just me then :/

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
It's an idealistic view as I'm sure you know

The reality is that there will always be someone or a group that will go against what you wish.

The only thing you have control over is yourself and how you receive the world and treat others.

We aren't talking about civil rights or being freed from bondage, we are talking about getting feelings hurt over words or getting upset because a lot of 13 year old boys online are spamming on a girl's video "make a sammich"

I think those problem are pretty low in priority compared to the real problems actually happening in the world. I don't find most of the SJW movements worth pursuing and half the time there not even an offended party that's complaining....they all just assume there is without proof and run with it cause they are bored....

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I mean, you're both correct in your own ways. If you personally know somebody who has trouble being understanding of different peoples, it's important to either try to help fix that friend's view or push that person's toxic influence away.

On the other hand, there will ALWAYS be offensive people to run into, and you aren't going to ever be able to permanently fix the entire world. It will literally cause more trouble if you attempt to fix every single person you're offended by. Instead, you should work on the thickness of your skin.

The points you guys are making are not mutually exclusive.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
I understand where you are getting at and agree. I do think there are several layers to the issue though.

What happens when you just don't have a single person saying"You're mother is a *****" but, rather, the entire room is chanting it. A bit dramatic, yes but they are loud and hard to ignore...even if it's meant to be in a good light. My aunt is someone without a filter and constantly makes my wife uncomfortable. We ignored her for the most part but she would always say things like:

"So, you're from China right?"
"No, I'm from Japan."
"Japan...China...no difference."

Or

"Have you heard of a man name Jesus? Well, you're from Vietnam so I doubt it."
In fairness, those aren't examples of jokes, they're coming from a place of genuine indifference and ignorance.

That, I think, is one of the main cruxes of the issue regarding offense: it's sometimes assumed off-colour or tasteless jokes are coming from real places and so they're treated as a microcosm of the people telling them. Of course this can very well be the case, but it's definitely far from a rule as I'm sure anyone here can attest to. It's a stupid and intensely fallacious lens to view the world through.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I don't really believe in being politically correct for the sole purpose of appeasing particular groups. I'm the kind of guy that's more comfortable with calling things how I see them. This is not to say I refer to said groups by simple terms in a derogatory manner(blacks, *******, etc.), I use those terms mainly because I don't have to speak a whole sentence to say it. That said, I was always taught to be a well-mannered being that treats others how I want to be treated, so I do my best to treat others with respect(even though my bluntness comes out every now and then but some have said they appreciate my blunt honesty). But as others have said, no matter how respectful one might be, there are always people(whether in the real world or the cyber world) that are triggered in an instant(genuinely or not, either way can be a hassle) if you don't conform to their PC standards. It's always best to know who you might be dealing with before you start talking to them.

^ This, so much this.

You pretty much hit the nail into the stud. Censorship is, in any form, a evil to the eyes of expression. The censorship on the radio is pathetic. You take a song that is pretty profane, like Five Finger Death Punch's "Jekyll and Hyde" for instance, and you make that song abide to the FCC's babyish regulations. Its a ear-sore to listen to. Our society has become such that its almost in a nanny type of state. We can't say something, even if its necessary to be said, because it might hurt the other persons feelings. That's complete and utter bull****. The freedom of speech is sacred, not to be touched by those who value censorship.
Yep. I despise the very idea of being treated like a child when I'm clearly an adult. Artistic creativity is something that shouldn't be stifled by the likes of censorship. If you've got a vision and want to bring it to life, the rest of us should be able to see it in its entirety, completely unaltered. It's something I can respect, whether I like the idea or not.

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
I think we need more 'political correctness'. In fact, PC is actually nothing more than replacing racist/sexist/homophobic terms with acceptable ones, and not generalising races/religions/sexual identities.

If I see how Donald Trump's racist opinions are supported by such a large chunk of people, then it's not possible to say policital correctness went overboard. The same goes for the Netherlands, where I live. This racist politician Geert Wilders, who says things about Muslims that remind me of what Hitler said about Jews, says horrible things and more and more people support him and agree with him like it's no big deal. Is that policital correctness? Not really, it's just racism being acceptable in this society. If anything, we need to combat that, not use PC as an excuse for saying racist sh*t.

Top Bottom