• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are we God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Been thinking about how I try to rely on no one is every possible was and thought about how we all wish for things to just happen. Likly our idea of God is just a deep down desire for us to ultimately beg our farther depths of ourselfes for grant desires to just happen. With the thoughts of no God many would see a universe where the fate or the Earth is tiny a speck of sand at a beach waiting to be crashed by the tide. Just trying to hang onto the world and not fall off.

So i've decided to try and find a good in between place for believeing in God and not to change myself deep down.

But then I thought, some pray/hope but shouldn't expect and sometimes when we are kicked in the teeth an on ground someone offers a hand, or someone can help. Likewise someone can turn around and stab You in the back.

How people pray and hope for answers/desires makes me think of the small favors friends may do or family.

Here's the question
So if God as an idea is the being the delivers gifts/desires aren't we all part of that in some respect and if so are we God if there is not a better word? If so I am truely greatful in ways I've never before known.

Sorry I can't find the option to remove my sig.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
No we are not God. Man also has this tendency to try and be on God's level by connecting God to man. Given the history with any God, there would be some lines that you wouldn't be allowed to cross, meaning not all desires/gifts would be given.

People's desire to pray is them usually seeking some kind of reassurance.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think the real question is, are you banned (again)? haha

I hope not. You've always been just my cup of tea.

OT: Uh, sure! Why not? We are all God! >.> <.< ta-da! I turned you all into humans just now. Oh wait, you were already that. Well still I did it so nyah.

NO NO I get what you're saying and in some fashion, yeah we are all God if you think of it as God is everything and he made us in his likeness so the story goes, and actually I used to feel strongly about the potential energy of humans and of one human or another as being an excellent representation of God and godlike things though the transcendence from clever word play and imagery to actual laser beams shooting from your eyeballs is kinda well yeah. haha but that's not what you meant, of course.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
No we are not God. Man also has this tendency to try and be on God's level by connecting God to man. Given the history with any God, there would be some lines that you wouldn't be allowed to cross, meaning not all desires/gifts would be given.

People's desire to pray is them usually seeking some kind of reassurance.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Seriously, lol.

I would continue... but TC is banned for some reason...

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
We're not god, but we can be metaphorically or just say we are by cockiness. From conquering a difficult video game with ease, to being beyond professional and intelligent. Humans do have power, but it's only when they're leaders and such, but sometimes there's going to be retaliation if the leader abuses that power, therefore it is not relevant of being a god.

From what can be observed, our observable universe seems to act in particular ways and repeatable ways no matter where you are or in what time period. Something that created these physical laws most likely no longer exists in our little observable universe. The basis for that is the lack of "miracles" or direct counter to what should happen. The first thought when a "miracle" happens might be it occurred in a repeatable way, but seems miraculous due to the lack of understanding of said phenomena (miracle). What might happen with further observation is that such a miracle is really something that is quiet repeatable and completely understandable.

So perhaps the god of the realm (the realm we exist in) is actually no longer there. With this in mind, those with the power to alter, create, destroy, decide, and judge are really humans at this time. At least, the next best thing to an ideal god, so humans might take up the mantle of gods.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Well, we all technically originate from Earth (in accordance with the theory of evolution), so I guess in a way you could say "we are Earth." But, as for your question, you're basically asking about something that can't really be proven or disproven. For what it's worth though, the thing with God is that if we assume God exists, then pretty much anything's possible, which brings us to the next point of contention which is faith vs. the scientific method. Then we begin to question and define the meaning of "belief" and its legitimacy as a concept, and then we finally sit down and decide that too much thinking is inherently bothersome and continue living our lives in a spontaneous format.

I like this thread, because I can state very simple points and be the first person to introduce them to the thread. Such as the following:

Giving away gifts/wishes/miracles does not mean you are "God". One of the attributes of "God" may be to grant people's wishes, however it is an incorrect reversal to presume that granting people's wishes makes one "God." If we were to set this up as a basic logical construct we have the situation as follows: If God, then wishes granted. God is a sufficient condition. If you are God then you can grant miracles. Granting miracles is a necessary condition. Granting miracles is a needed attribute of being considered "God," however it is not sufficient to qualify one as "God" according to the logical setup you stipulated in the OP.

Let me use another analogy: To become a sushi chef one must train for many hours in culinary school. Bardull trained for many hours in culinary school; therefore it follows logically that Bardull is a sushi chef. The conclusion that Bardull is a sushi chef is incorrectly drawn. Even though Bardull has spent many hours training to become a sushi chef, the possibility exists that Bardull is not a sushi chef. The fact that he has studied fish does not establish that he has become a sushi chef. He might have failed out of culinary school even after all those long hours of studying.

Ussi's post states that man is not God, but then refutes the concept of gift giving because we have to consider a conflict in religious plurality. Then to add more contradiction, the last comment insinuates that prayer is more of a human-motive driven act than a spiritual act. It blows my mind how someone de-spiritualizing religion decides that religious plurality is their reason why it's not possible for "gift-givers" to be analogous to "God." YOU HAVE TO CONSIDER THE MACROECONOMIC PROBLEM GIFT GIVING WILL INCITE FOR ALL THE SPIRITS, EVEN THOUGH NONE OF THEM ACTUALLY EXIST.

Succumbio's post is hilarious in that he blatantly states, "NO NO I get what you're saying..." before devolving into an absurdum which is completely irrelevant to ICG's argument. YES ICG I COMPLETELY GET WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, I AM NOW GOING TO MENTION INFORMATION THAT YOU NEVER SAID.

White Mage, ICG is banned because he was a banned user. I'm finding it hard to be sympathetic as he is either a troll or someone who decides that skipping out on a week's worth of Abilify and forum posting is a slamming combination.

Vinyl., Eryx, and BarDulL think that the OP is stupid, but they can add a cool spin to the discussion by introducing metaphors, meta-reasoning, and meta-thread analysis.

If bad is bad, then don't pretend its rad.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Vinyl., Eryx, and BarDulL think that the OP is stupid, but they can add a cool spin to the discussion by introducing metaphors, meta-reasoning, and meta-thread analysis.

If bad is bad, then don't pretend its rad.
I was being blunt and actually didn't agree or disagree with OP, Lol. Or perhaps I agreed that what he is postulating could be true. I mean, really, I'm not saying anything, but I'm also explaining everything, you know what I'm saying?

I do love me some Sushi though, mmm.

I was being blunt and actually didn't agree or disagree with OP, Lol. Or perhaps I agreed that what he is postulating could be true. I mean, really, I'm not saying anything, but I'm also explaining everything, you know what I'm saying?

I do love me some Sushi though, mmm.
Yes, you are admitting to trash posting in a trash thread.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
When one peers through a cynical lens, I suppose yes, that's a legitimate perception of the facts.

But only through a cynical lens.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Would like to disagree to your sentence regarding to what I thought about the question in opinion, as I've had none.

And that was just my based on my thoughts...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Succumbio's post is hilarious in that he blatantly states, "NO NO I get what you're saying..." before devolving into an absurdum which is completely irrelevant to ICG's argument. YES ICG I COMPLETELY GET WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, I AM NOW GOING TO MENTION INFORMATION THAT YOU NEVER SAID.
"Nice work ya did. You're gonna go far, kid!"

Don't think I've seen you post so welcome to the PG.

ICG's argument is missing the part I mentioned (which is why I mentioned it). The -only- reason we could be considered God is because God is considered Everything. Not because we imitate him in "thoughtless gift" giving. Though he spent most of his post saying that, I ignored all of it because it's automatically wrong and I don't have time to read information that I know to be false. What DID perk my interest is the broader idea of how Man = God.

Because I used to believe this also (which I alluded to in ICG fashion in the rest of my non sequitur.)

So yeah, I do get what he's saying, but he's missing his own point, it's not important even really why we think we may or may not be God, it's more conducive to start with We Are God, here's why. I agree this is a good topic for discussion, and after being presented correctly with proper argumentative framework it could be not a bunch of troll posts lol but I think he's banned again :(

The flow of conversation is quite... unexpected. But, I think red text in quotes is best to respond.
Giving away gifts/wishes/miracles does not mean you are "God". One of the attributes of "God" may be to grant people's wishes, however it is an incorrect reversal to presume that granting people's wishes makes one "God." If we were to set this up as a basic logical construct we have the situation as follows: If God, then wishes granted. God is a sufficient condition. If you are God then you can grant miracles. Granting miracles is a necessary condition. Granting miracles is a needed attribute of being considered "God," however it is not sufficient to qualify one as "God" according to the logical setup you stipulated in the OP.

'Here's the question
So if God as an idea is the being the delivers gifts/desires aren't we all part of that in some respect and if so are we God if there is not a better word?'

I suppose the reasoning behind reaching the hypothesis that humans are gods because we might be granters of gifts or desires might be flawed. But, ignoring that and focusing on the implications of such a hypothesis, this seems more interesting to contemplate.

This is not at all what my intentions were. The OP (opening post) got me interested in an idea and I was merely relaying that idea (albeit in a poorly worded way in hindsight). In considering an isolated universe, realm, dimension where there is a metaphysical god, I would disagree that humans would be classified as "god". In another isolated region where a metaphysical god never existed, humans might be defined as gods. In the background, I am considering both cases of a true god existing, and one in which is idealized a true god does not exist, but is thought of to exist.
Again, I am not too interested in how the idea of "humans are gods" got formalized, but rather is the statement true or false on its own. In either case, what are the implications of considering such a statement.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Wait, can't we be "lesser gods" of a higher god's ... bowels or something?

Didn't I just say everything you just said?

Is ICG really banned ???

stayed tuned to this, the debate hall proving grounds edition.

sorry, I'm in a good mood.

Question: So if God as an idea is the being the delivers gifts/desires aren't we all part of that in some respect and if so are we God if there is not a better word?

I'm gonna re-write that...

So if we accept the term God to mean a Being that grants Wishes, and that God created us, and we also grant wishes, are we not in some way God?

To consider this is futile, mainly due to semantics. In other words (ha!) you can insert any axiomatic criterion and come up with the same question and in some asinine way which is irrelevant it'll boil down to "are we God?"

Yes, if you believe in God.
No, if you don't.

To consider the broader question "Are Humans godlike?" I think it would mostly lean towards Yes but I suppose that remains a question of who answers the question, how many answer, etc. Criterion for such a question would remain highly personal - selections of ideals chosen from memories of extreme emotion, stuff like that. Maybe we should make a questionnaire and poll the site.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
If any god exists, I would expect we are all god
That doesn't make any sense.

We do not have super natural abilities, we are not omnipresent nor omnipotent, we do not know everything, and we are not perfect. By these standards alone we can see that we are not God(s) and never will be. Man has always tried to be like God, and we are not meant to be Gods, rather, we were meant to be servants to worship God and take care of the planet that He created. Why do you think Eve ate the Forbidden fruit? She wanted to have the knowledge that God had. She ate the fruit because the serpent convinced her she would become like God. Adam and Eve gained knowledge they were never meant to have. Even after the fruit, we still don't know everything. We are always learning something new.

The idea that the definition of God is a being who grants wishes is stupid. Yes, he does grant us wishes and prayers, but to a certain extent. You can't wish/pray for something that isn't meant to be, like grow wings or to have super speed, and expect it to happen. He also is a God of judgement. (and I think that can apply to any God really) Humans do not have the ability to see the soul of other people, or judge fairly. We can become blinded by our own pride and ignorance which can cause us to see things that aren't true. God is perfect and knows everyone's true heart and motives. Humans cannot see this. We can judge based on physical attributes, but we cannot judge the soul of others.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Looking at this question as a pantheist, my answer would have to be yes, we are sort of God, technically. But not any more than anything else.

Pantheism is about all things, either physical, spiritual, or both, being part of an all-encompassing everything. If you look at this concept as the closest possible thing to a God, then naturally humans would be a piece of that everything. Gods are often considered to be perfect beings. The only thing that could stand much chance at being defined as perfect is everything that exists, because there are endless numbers of perceptions as to what perfect is, and the only way to include all those perceptions is to consider everything. (But then it would also include all the things considered imperfect at the same time, so even the perfection of everything is based on individual perspective.)

How does this connect with humans being God? All of our ideas, actions, and thoughts contribute to that greater whole. Everyone perceives each other differently, and there's no way we could possibly comprehend everything there ever was as an individual, so that makes us imperfect by ourselves. But without our contributions, just like the contributions of any other species, everything wouldn't really be everything, would it? And so we create perfection through our imperfections. Provided the parentheses above don't apply to your own perspective, of course!

So then, does that make us God? Yes, if you perceive it to be so. This kind of thinking is really complex and hard to comprehend, but I do feel like that's just the nature of the universe. I don't think there is a concrete answer. It's whatever we can make of it.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
We may as well be gods. With so many religions, one can only ask which religion is true; they all claim to be the true religion with the true god. One theory goes that deities were created by man to explain the unexplainable, such as where lightning and thunder comes from, or why the sun sets and rises, etc.. Assuming this is true (and I'll hazard a bet it is true), then we, as creators of gods, can be seen as gods ourselves. Gods creating gods, if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom