• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are the newer controllers problematic for Melee?

billpika

Smash Rookie
NNID
billpika
I have heard that the new 1st party smash bros controllers have problems, particularly with the triggers. Apparently wavedashing out of shield is unusually difficult, and pivots are also janky with the left stick.

Laudandus' ask.fm on viable controllers:
One of the white ones from Japan. They work pretty well in general although they take a bit to break in and only some of them are good for shield dropping.

Smash 4 controllers have the turnaround issue, which is significant even if it's not lasers or needles (you will get missed dashes, jab instead of turnaround ftilt, etc) so I wouldn't use them. They are good for shield dropping though

The best controllers are original gamecube ones, but the worst controllers are also original gamecube ones. If you want to buy a controller that will almost certainly be usable for competitive play, white is the best especially since once you get used to it you can keep buying really similar ones.

So, should I drop the $40 on an old Japanese 1st party controller? Or buy the newer, cheaper smash logo controller? Any anecdotes or testimonies?

Firefreak

Smash Rookie
I have the same issue. However, i've heard that the new white controllers has the same problems with the shoulder buttons as the smash 4 ones (source: customer reviews@amazon).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I've never had problems with the triggers, but control stick problems are definitely real. I bought 2 of the new smash 4 controllers and both of them turn my character around, i've never seen the problem in a new controller until then. I was hoping for a replacement for the controller i've been using for the last ~2 years, but these control sticks are literal trash.

I know someone who bought a new silver controller (still in packaging) off ebay. The control stick felt amazing, completely restored my belief that controllers were once made better than they are now.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Yeah left/right inputs on my stick have deteriorated to the point where I can barely dash (smash 4 controller). It's super unpleasant and a shame considering I paid like $40.

nyricanjr

Smash Rookie
Yeah, the new GC controllers are seriously an issue. I've managed to get used to it a bit but the input for left/right on the control stick and the right trigger (I never even use L trigger :p) are just sooooo wonky. Thing is, my old controllers are broken to all ****ing hell and I can't find my damn wavebird, so I'm stuck with it. I mean, it functions I guess, better than my others so yay?

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ Using the cstick box is a good idea, didnt think of that before.

As for the controllers being the same, sadly that is not the case. It is an entirely different factory to my knowledge (though I dont remember where I heard that).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I know many people who have gone that route, either from ebay or gamestop or another store. I haven't done it myself in the last 5 years or so, I've only bought new. Just like anything you buy used, the concern is about the condition. Some people take good care of their things, others feel comfortable throwing their controller or mistreating it other ways. I recommend buying in person if its possible so you can feel the parts and make sure nothing is out of wack.

Well I guess I did purchase 2 'used' controllers recently I could talk about, but I haven't really used them. One was a full clear controller the other was an emerald blue, both imported from japan. My intention was to just strip the shells, but the condition of the parts seemed flawless. The grips for all the sticks seemed brand new and the control stick seemed gently used. I'm not sure if I just got lucky, or if its the japanese standard, or if because I was looking for specialty items, but I was very happy. I'll bring them to the tourney tonight and see if they are as good as they seem.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
I can speak for the new white gamestop controllers. I bought two and both had deteriorated after about 100 hours. On one I had a complete and total z button failure. On the other the control stick atcually broke. Apon further investigation the plastic they use in the mechanisim is extremely soft. Bendable by hand. Aside from these too failures they have easily lasted a thousand hours aside from some button squeaking.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I recently switched from an old Gamecube controller I've had since 2001 to this

No regrets so far.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
The only problem I have with my black Smash controller is the triggers put up too much resistance, which can often mess up my wavedashes. Either I don't press them in all the way or they get caught if you push them at an angle. Plus, it's incredibly difficult to switch from the new controllers to the original models, since the triggers feel so different.

yttik

Smash controller works fine for me, though, I used to use my controller I got from launch of the Gamecube for everything until I bought the Smash one. I can turnaround and wavedash out of shield perfectly fine. The triggers feel weird when not pushing them down on the center of the button, and they get stuck sometimes.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
I would check locally with anyone that might have them used first. This would allow you to feel it first before you just buy it. I mean, its hard to go wrong with most original GCN controllers, but there's still a huge variation in the action between controllers.

nyricanjr

Smash Rookie
I've got a sm4sh and I can confirm that it's got some real issues.

However, it seems I've struck lucky with mine, since the issues with it haven't really affected my gameplay very much or as much as it has others. Didn't really notice the issues with it while I was playing friendlies at super nebs, but maybe that's cause I'm used to it by now. I'm sure that if you're going from old to new or new to old it'd definitely throw you off. It did for me when I tried using my 2nd controller which is way older.

billpika

Smash Rookie
NNID
billpika
I've got a sm4sh and I can confirm that it's got some real issues.

However, it seems I've struck lucky with mine, since the issues with it haven't really affected my gameplay very much or as much as it has others. Didn't really notice the issues with it while I was playing friendlies at super nebs, but maybe that's cause I'm used to it by now. I'm sure that if you're going from old to new or new to old it'd definitely throw you off. It did for me when I tried using my 2nd controller which is way older.
****, man. should i just order domestically out of convenience, then?

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
both of these issues (bad triggers and control stick bounceback) have been cited about the white controllers also, in other threads

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
My brother and I each got the Sm4sh controllers (one US black, one imported white, exact same thing aside from the color in case anyone was looking at that). Aside from the triggers, I haven't had any issues with it, and after swapping the triggers out for those of an old, mostly broken controller, I have no complaints. No control stick issues on either controller, guess that's a really hit or miss issue.

Doctor Pink

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, does the ASCII Keyboard Controller actually work for Melee? I have been considering buying one solely to use for Melee. I also might get one of those sick Panasonic Q controllers

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, does the ASCII Keyboard Controller actually work for Melee? I have been considering buying one solely to use for Melee. I also might get one of those sick Panasonic Q controllers
No only two GC games support the keyboard

Are these any good?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NGC-Game-Sh...738?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e71e2372

They seem pretty cheap but IDK how they're built
C'mon don't be silly. You pay less and it comes from China, it's garbage.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
You can buy one and it should work fine for a while, or maybe you'll get lucky and it won't break with use. If I were you though I'd do some investigation into buying a used controller in good condition even though that's more difficult than just going to Gamestop or wherever.

Cool

Smash Journeyman
The triggers are kind of eh, but other then that they're fine.

Last edited:

GONZLAMM

Smash Apprentice
i think the japanese white smash 4 controllers are better made than the black american ones. i have 2 of the black ones and a white one and the L trigger on the blacks are noticeably different. on the black ones theres a very obvious hitch when you press down the L trigger. its more obvious when you push the trigger away from you and down at the same time. like the plastic is catching on something. this isnt the case with the white one at all. i talked to my brother about it and he agrees, he felt a very clear difference between the L triggers of the white and black one.

for anyone looking to buy a new controller i would recommend the white japanese smash 4 controllers. i have been using it for about 4 months strait on melee netplay and with friends at my house and also on wii u online smash. works great once you break it in and get rid of that new stick feel.

SushiKiller

Smash Apprentice
i think the japanese white smash 4 controllers are better made than the black american ones. i have 2 of the black ones and a white one and the L trigger on the blacks are noticeably different. on the black ones theres a very obvious hitch when you press down the L trigger. its more obvious when you push the trigger away from you and down at the same time. like the plastic is catching on something. this isnt the case with the white one at all. i talked to my brother about it and he agrees, he felt a very clear difference between the L triggers of the white and black one.

for anyone looking to buy a new controller i would recommend the white japanese smash 4 controllers. i have been using it for about 4 months strait on melee netplay and with friends at my house and also on wii u online smash. works great once you break it in and get rid of that new stick feel.
I got the white japanese one :D

Top Bottom