• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are the newer controllers problematic for Melee?

billpika

Smash Rookie
NNID
billpika
just got a used white one from one of the better players in my area and it's great so far.

is the z trigger supposed to feel a little... weird? i'm having a hard time grabbing and often accidentally light shield. should i just be pressing harder?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
just got a used white one from one of the better players in my area and it's great so far.

is the z trigger supposed to feel a little... weird? i'm having a hard time grabbing and often accidentally light shield. should i just be pressing harder?
I'm not aware of any differences in the Z button between controllers. The original controllers are probably going to feel different to the newer types (white and Smash editions) because of being worn from previous use (as almost all of the original controllers you'll find will be used).

Lightshielding when trying to grab isn't a controller issue: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...rs-gamecubes-etc.288887/page-18#post-18814689

Last edited:

billpika

Smash Rookie
NNID
billpika
I'm not aware of any differences in the Z button between controllers. The original controllers are probably going to feel different to the newer types (white and Smash editions) because of being worn from previous use (as almost all of the original controllers you'll find will be used).

Lightshielding when trying to grab isn't a controller issue: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...rs-gamecubes-etc.288887/page-18#post-18814689
yeah i'm pretty sure i just suck

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
I have an original emerald green gamecube controller and I also recently bought one of the Smash 4 controllers. I definitely like the new Smash 4 gamecube controller better. In my opinion, the control stick is better. During dash dancing and shield dropping, my Smash4 controller performs better. Also, its better for missile canceling, since I'm a samus player. I think its because the stick returns to neutral position faster/more easily than my original emerald controller.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
i have a white smash 4 japanese controller available to me for $20, ive been using a black american one for about a year.

should i look for a better controller or is that fine? im somewhat confused as to if there are any differences between the white japanese gamecube ones or the white japanese smash 4 ones

a quick response would be great, thanks

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
i have a white smash 4 japanese controller available to me for $20, ive been using a black american one for about a year.

should i look for a better controller or is that fine? im somewhat confused as to if there are any differences between the white japanese gamecube ones or the white japanese smash 4 ones

a quick response would be great, thanks
Both white and black Smash 4 controllers are functionally the same as each other. White non-Smash 4 controllers (the Japan-only ones that came out earlier, also referred to as Japanese Whites to help distinguish them from Smash 4 whites) are different to the Smash 4 types.

See this table (in Section 2 of the thread) for an overview of some of the differences between controller types: http://smashboards.com/threads/tech...n-gamecubes-controllers-tvs-recording.335040/

Smash 4 controllers have a different, rougher texture to their shell than other types of controller; all others have the same shell texture as each other (the smoother kind). I don't like the rough texture; contrary to what I would expect, I feel like it actually provides less grip than the smooth kind. It's a matter of preference though, so you should compare for yourself.

In my experience (I haven't seen/compared enough controllers to be able to say anything for certain about the existence of the differences), Smash 4 controllers have sticks with more "wobble" (distance the stick moves without resistance) and will more easily develop increased dead zone size than White controllers. I don't like the Smash 4 sticks.

I don't know how the sticks of the White and Smash 4 types compare to other types of controller because original controllers (Purple, Orange, etc.) can't really be found new anymore (to allow for an accurate comparison).

Smash 4 controllers are considerably cheaper than white ones at the moment, and will likely stay that way for some time. I would predict that unless a new batch is released, the prices of each controller are only going to increase if they change at all.

Last edited:

DeadBeef

Smash Rookie
I have been using a the stock white Japanese controller with the smash logo for melee, i have not had any trouble with the controller with wavedashing. my only complaint is that you have to apply more pressure on the triggers than a original controller. so what i have done is removed the rumble pack, replaced the analog stick with a ps4 stick, and the c stick with a wii numchuck stick, and i switched out the back plate and triggers with a original black game cube controller.
I like every think about the stock controller but it was hard to get use to the new pressure after using a original controller for 10+ years. The ps4 stick also for some reason makes it easier to hit perfect wave dash.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
One thing I will add is that the octo-gate seems to have significantly more friction... could be adapted to but thought I'd just add this anyways.

IoSSBM

Smash Cadet
I think the Gamestop controllers are the best because the L, R, and Z buttons don't jam or break.

DeadBeef

Smash Rookie
I think the Gamestop controllers are the best because the L, R, and Z buttons don't jam or break.
My friend is trying to compete with a game stop controller, and i tried to wavedash with it and it just felt weird.

The only time i have ever experienced a jam on a first party controller is when i miss the middle of the L or R button and hit the point near the bottom but that only happens when my finger slips once in a blue moon. My classic black game cube controller works fine after 1000's of hours of smash. Just bought the Japaneses white because i wanted a new look, but i still used the black for parts. and i still have a untouched stock black that works amazing.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I have the black Smash 4 controller. Other than my L button sticking occasionally, I have no real problem. The Smash 4 controllers just need to be broken in a little.
The only time i have ever experienced a jam on a first party controller is when i miss the middle of the L or R button and hit the point near the bottom but that only happens when my finger slips once in a blue moon.
This is what happens to my L button too. For anyone thinking about buying a 4 controller; the triggers aren't the most reliable, but the rest of the controller is solid.

Last edited:

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I have the black Smash 4 controller. Other than my L button sticking occasionally, I have no real problem. The Smash 4 controllers just need to be broken in a little.

This is what happens to my L button too. For anyone thinking about buying a 4 controller; the triggers aren't the most reliable, but the rest of the controller is solid.
Yes. The one obvious difference is that the metal rail in each trigger is missing.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
I got one a while ago, and it's the first controller i've gotten since around 2003. They feel weird just because most of us have been using the same controllers for forever. Tech skill feels stiff at first, but the controllers will loosen up.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I got one a while ago, and it's the first controller i've gotten since around 2003. They feel weird just because most of us have been using the same controllers for forever. Tech skill feels stiff at first, but the controllers will loosen up.
Is it just me, or does the octagon gate for the control stick feel like it has more friction?

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
If you play Falco, expect to do a lot of accidental reverse lasers. It is very frustrating to use those controllers with spacies. What's funny though is that most people using them are inexperienced players and will tell you they are fine, just because they lack the technical skill to notice the subtle differences from one controller to another.

DeadBeef

Smash Rookie
If you play Falco, expect to do a lot of accidental reverse lasers. It is very frustrating to use those controllers with spacies. What's funny though is that most people using them are inexperienced players and will tell you they are fine, just because they lack the technical skill to notice the subtle differences from one controller to another.
i am a marth falco main and have been for years, you can short hop laser all day with those controllers. there is only a slight learning curve, but in the end it is all do able, just because the controller does not suite you it may suit others. i actually have fell in love with my modified Japanese white controller, and it has made me perfect wavedash, and improve my falco and marth play style. (with falco i laser alot when i have the chance!!)

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Are you talking about the snapback? If that is the case, you are unaffected as long as you keep your thumb on the stick and don't flick it, which is better for the controller anyways.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I have the white Japanese import version and my friend has the black American version. There is a noticeable difference in quality between them. If you plan to get one of these controllers, go with the Japanese import.

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
I'm stacking up pearl white controllers for future use, I get them second hand

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I recently got 2 sm4sh controllers. One is perfect for shield drops and 9/10 on back dashes. The other is 10/10 on back dashes but the left side will not shield drop whatsoever (doesn't even spot dodge, shield just moves back and forth until it breaks). Still quite good imo.

I also got a used silver one off eBay for $17. It back dashes and shield drops fine. Had sticky buttons, but after replacing the rubber membrane for the buttons (sacrificed my current controller for parts) and cleaning it, it's basically perfect. I feel like I got lucky on the shield drop ability, although it is not as free as shield dropping with the sm4sh controllers (it's close). But silver ones imo are usually good for back dashes.

Last edited:

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
I use an orange Old Skool for now, but god does it suck for melee. If you flick down, it'll do whatever down would do (crouch, ledge drop, etc.) and then immediately jump. Downwards tap jump, fml. I do like it for other reasons, like most new controllera, it's a trade-off.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
So what are we going to do as a community when finding a decent controller becomes too arduous to consider?

EaglePie

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZeldaGamer08
I recently got a black, OEM GameCube controller that works like a dream. It's really nice (Good buttons, C-stick, analog stick, D-pad is hard but registers perfectly, though the right trigger is questionable in the fact that it gets a little sticky but works otherwise) and I got it for $18.50. I would recommend a really good-conditioned original controller, or new if you're scared it'll be bad (they're expensive though, $100-$200). That's what I'm doing and for Christmas I'm getting another one in case my brother/friend comes over and wants to play (if they come over it's definitely to play or do a project though).

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I have two of the new sm4sh controllers, one black and one white. The black one showed shield drop problems and pivoting issues, but no problems with the white one so far. I haven't noticed any significant issues when it comes to the triggers, only that they're a little less smooth, but that's unnoticeable unless you're specifically looking for it.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I have two of the new sm4sh controllers, one black and one white. The black one showed shield drop problems and pivoting issues, but no problems with the white one so far. I haven't noticed any significant issues when it comes to the triggers, only that they're a little less smooth, but that's unnoticeable unless you're specifically looking for it.
You know, they're supposed to be the same, but I've had better luck with white as well, especially with backdashes. And I've bought/sold a good amount of each.

My current controller is sm4sh white insides, old school triggers, and orange shell. it backdashes great but tends to spot dodge instead of shield drop. Soon I'm going to slightly mod it by shifting the entire left side of the motherboard downward less than a millimeter. This can restore shield drop ability without taking the stick noticeably off center (you can't tell at all).

I have an original indigo that shield drops perfect, but doesn't backdash quite as easily. I use this on platform stages for matchups where i dont need backdash for chaingrabbing, but always use my primary controller for FD.

I honestly think that more people should use 2 controllers, considering the amount that do everything well except shield drop, as long as they have a similar feel. Obviously having a good shield dropping controller doesnt help you on FD and the ability to backdash is super important.

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
You know, they're supposed to be the same, but I've had better luck with white as well, especially with backdashes. And I've bought/sold a good amount of each.

My current controller is sm4sh white insides, old school triggers, and orange shell. it backdashes great but tends to spot dodge instead of shield drop. Soon I'm going to slightly mod it by shifting the entire left side of the motherboard downward less than a millimeter. This can restore shield drop ability without taking the stick noticeably off center (you can't tell at all).

I have an original indigo that shield drops perfect, but doesn't backdash quite as easily. I use this on platform stages for matchups where i dont need backdash for chaingrabbing, but always use my primary controller for FD.

I honestly think that more people should use 2 controllers, considering the amount that do everything well except shield drop, as long as they have a similar feel. Obviously having a good shield dropping controller doesnt help you on FD and the ability to backdash is super important.
I plan on stocking up on controllers over the next 6 months or so and just mixing and matching parts to try and get the most accurate and precise controller I can make. The goodwill site is a great place to buy controllers in bulk for >$30

Zonda1996

Smash Rookie
I don't find the Smash 4 controllers to be bad. I don't miss any wavedashes I wouldn't miss with my OG controllers and back dash is pretty consistent with old ones too. The only problem I have is it reverses 100% of aerial specials out of a dash (eg: dash shorthop needles) for some reason.

I currently have 4 controllers: one OG dead one for parts, an extremely crisp OG one I only use for tournaments to prevent unnecessary wear, and 2 new ones I use for practice/locals. They double as reliable backups too, but it still feels like a fantastic improvement going to play on my old one.

Top Bottom