• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are PimpUigi and I the only ones.....

Taxi

Smash Cadet
First off, I doubt anyone arguing the point in this thread knows Melee Luigi like Pimp. Not saying you guys don't know your stuff, but just keep that in mind. Not even counting character changes, the feel of Luigi has been altered. When I played Luigi in Brawl, I was absolutely pissed. I couldn't stand him... Wario was the man for me, and I planned on taking him all the way. Funny thing though, yesterday I played Luigi in friendlies and noticed how he just ***** everything up. I was like, Wario is never going to be that good. With that said, melee Luigi will always be more fun to play imo but Brawl Luigi got serious power. Also, give it time and even Pimp will get used to him. Then watch as the headlines roll out, of tales and stores of PimpTaxi taking it again in teams with dual Luigi action.

WolfBane

Smash Rookie
I am very disappointed in the new Luigi :(.

I mained Luigi in melee, he was smooth; each attack flowing into the next, took a lot of skill to play his one of a kind fighting style, and just super fun to play! Wavedashing/Wavelanding was his bread and butter, WD>Ftilt or Dsmash or USmash or Utilt ect ect, or approch with a over whelming amount of short shop aerials, or surprise tornados that bypasses many projectiles. Luigi was a 'good' match up vs mostly anyone. Point being, at the end of the fight I knew why I won, I out played my opponent using all the tools at Luigi's disposal to exploit there weaknesses.

The new Brawl Luigi is sluggish and stiff. He short hops WAY to high, almost impossible to use aerials against anyone but the tallest biggest characters. Coupled with his even slower falling speed aerials are just too easy to see coming and makes him a sitting duck. His ground game is still weak with out wavedashing, true in melee also. The tornado feels weak, doesn’t have the same range and doesn’t clank projectiles. Missile nerf ftl. His aerials have improved (king of the air :D ), and a top notch edge guarder. But those of those were also true in melee.

I play Luigi in Brawl, I can win with him, but I don’t know why I did or impressed with my performance. All the Luigi ‘flare’ is missing. He isn’t fun to play for me anymore.

I have taken up playing Wolf, but I think he will be too popular for my taste; I’m always drawn to the underdogs with potential. (Luigi in Melee)

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
I'm Lovin' the new Luigi, but the old one still has a place in my heart =). I find the new one rather slow to maneuver and approach with which is due to the lack of the wave dash. I like his new Jab-B-Up combo, but I am disappointed by the changes to his general B-moves. Cyclone doesn't start up juggles like the old one, but the shield breaking is alright. I kind of like his new look and voice though.

Zarez

Smash Cadet
I can understand people liking Melee's Luigi more than Brawl's, especially if Melee was the first or only other game they've seen him in (not including the older games). But if you play the other games he's in, like Luigi's Mansion, Galaxy, or Mario Kart, you can see he's supposed to be the way he is in Brawl.

Exovel

Smash Ace
I agree. I am still putting Luigi towards the top of my list in Brawl, but I doubt I will main him like I did in Melee. There was a spark the Melee-uigi had that made him the most fun character I had ever played, and it's not quite there in Brawluigi. He will still get used, and hopefully I can find the rythym back so that we can own together like old times, but I don't think it will be the same. I played a lot of Brawl last week and I couldn't get Luigi to work for me. Then I picked up Melee yesterday, and there he was. Just the way he should be. From the animations, to the miss fire.... I don't know. Something just isn't right.

(That felt almost like an ex-girlfriend schpeel.)

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
SVC Dan + CVS2 Dan kicks ***....

Well, Dan in general is amazing, anyone that disagrees is crazy!!!

Come on, even in MVC2, he can freaking kamekazi! Just get an opponent to about 50% damage, and blast that sheeet. I don't see anyone else doing that, lol.

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
This second page of the topic is so much better than the first page of the topic.

(Keep in mind, my forum is set up to display 40 posts per page, so whatever page this is for you, it kicks *** the most so far for the topic)

And wow, Taxi, haven't seen you on here in years...
Thank God someone knows who I am. lol

Edit:
Dan's suicide in MvC2 can take down over 75% health on most characters.

I would always bust that out when I was in a pinch.

j. HP virtually combo's into the move, and Dan has good combos in that game to keep him useful before hand anyway.

Dan is the ultimate fun character, just like Luigi is supposed to be.
Melee Luigi is just the funnest character I've ever used in a fighting game.
With Zangief of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo a close second. (extremely close second)

Brawl Luigi is simply not as fun.
Though I still have fun playing with him.
I also can't accurately judge if I can kick it with him or not, since I have yet to smash it up with good players in Brawl.

I've been beating everyone in my neighborhood with him, and everyone online, but I can't really be sure until I play Mew2King or someone who is guaranteed to kick my ***.

If I can still lock down Velocity's game with Luigi like I used to in Melee, then I know Luigi is still awesome.
If I can't, then I will accept that Brawl Luigi, with the exception of his ultimate new taunt, is no comparison to Melee Luigi.

So it all comes down to how he's going to perform against good players.
If you know what you're doing in Melee, Luigi can lock down the best of the best, or at least go even with a great Luigi counter character.
He gets gimped easily by people who know how to gimp him, but even then, Luigi can still rip them up enough to keep it even.

Just watch Ka Master's stuff. No one taped my stuff when I would fight Dope or Watty or anything. So there's no taped versions of my good matches, just my memories, and other smashers memories of the ones they saw.

Almost anyone who's seen my fights has a crazy PimpUigi misfire story to tell, even if it's Dan style.
"He turns around, says 'watch this' misfires off the stage, I think he's done for, but then no, he misfires right back on the stage, says 'OK, now let's fight again' and then misfires into my characters face, killing him. He's a lunatic."

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
This second page of the topic is so much better than the first page of the topic.

(Keep in mind, my forum is set up to display 40 posts per page, so whatever page this is for you, it kicks *** the most so far for the topic)

And wow, Taxi, haven't seen you on here in years...
Thank God someone knows who I am. lol

Edit:
Dan's suicide in MvC2 can take down over 75% health on most characters.

I would always bust that out when I was in a pinch.

j. HP virtually combo's into the move, and Dan has good combos in that game to keep him useful before hand anyway.

Dan is the ultimate fun character, just like Luigi is supposed to be.
Melee Luigi is just the funnest character I've ever used in a fighting game.
With Zangief of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo a close second. (extremely close second)

Brawl Luigi is simply not as fun.
Though I still have fun playing with him.
I also can't accurately judge if I can kick it with him or not, since I have yet to smash it up with good players in Brawl.

I've been beating everyone in my neighborhood with him, and everyone online, but I can't really be sure until I play Mew2King or someone who is guaranteed to kick my ***.

If I can still lock down Velocity's game with Luigi like I used to in Melee, then I know Luigi is still awesome.
If I can't, then I will accept that Brawl Luigi, with the exception of his ultimate new taunt, is no comparison to Melee Luigi.

So it all comes down to how he's going to perform against good players.
If you know what you're doing in Melee, Luigi can lock down the best of the best, or at least go even with a great Luigi counter character.
He gets gimped easily by people who know how to gimp him, but even then, Luigi can still rip them up enough to keep it even.

Just watch Ka Master's stuff. No one taped my stuff when I would fight Dope or Watty or anything. So there's no taped versions of my good matches, just my memories, and other smashers memories of the ones they saw.

Almost anyone who's seen my fights has a crazy PimpUigi misfire story to tell, even if it's Dan style.
"He turns around, says 'watch this' misfires off the stage, I think he's done for, but then no, he misfires right back on the stage, says 'OK, now let's fight again' and then misfires into my characters face, killing him. He's a lunatic."
As much as I love Dan, Gief >>>>> all other fighting game characters =P

Especially SF2 Gief. Omg, crossover with a deep body splash, light kick as soon as you land, wait for the EXACT MOMENT that your opponent is back in his standing frame and bam---360/720, gameover. Almost an infinite if you're playing against people that can't time a well placed SRK or some other high priority move.

OYAJIIIIIIII.

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
Totally.

Zangief has a three hit combo, deep body splash crossover, d. MK, into the spinning lariat (the kick version)

Auto dizzies any character 90% of the time (rarely they won't get dizzied)

If they block the first two hits, just do the Sinning Pile Driver instead of the lariat, and you still get a ton of damage anyway.

Since they get dizzied off the 3 hit combo, you get to do another splash, d. mk, SPD, and just those six hits will kill any character, except maybe another Zangief.

I'm going to change my last name to Zangief, and then my wife's last name will be Zangief too!!
LOL

Hope she doesn't leave me...

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
Totally.

Zangief has a three hit combo, deep body splash crossover, d. MK, into the spinning lariat (the kick version)

Auto dizzies any character 90% of the time (rarely they won't get dizzied)

If they block the first two hits, just do the Sinning Pile Driver instead of the lariat, and you still get a ton of damage anyway.

Since they get dizzied off the 3 hit combo, you get to do another splash, d. mk, SPD, and just those six hits will kill any character, except maybe another Zangief.

I'm going to change my last name to Zangief, and then my wife's last name will be Zangief too!!
LOL

Hope she doesn't leave me...
Pure gold. Love the avatar btw.

Definitely a sick combo you listed, I used the combo I mentioned earlier so much that I haven't utilized that one at all really. Will have to try it out like...now, aha.

I think you have to agree though, the most pimp looking thing you could do with Gief (Mind you, most likely to a less experienced player) is to whiff a Banishing Flat just to edge yourself right in front of your opponent, watch 'em try to block it, then catch their reaction when you grab 'em with a 360 the instant you've recovered from the whiffed attack. Looks so pimp, at least imo lol.

I know there's a huge majority of the older SF fans that are hating on SFIV, but personally I can't wait for it, so much that I started playing EX3 just to try and tell myself that it won't be long before I can play IV LOL, but I'm just curious how you feel about it?

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
I honestly can't tell how well I'll like it until I try out Zangief.
He always makes or breaks the game for me, and then Dan's there for backup otherwise in the cases where Zangief doesn't make the game for me.

His nuclear hand is just as good as wavedashing IMO in Super Turbo.
Definitely pimp when you absorb a fireball into it, and then you get a Final Atomic Buster as it finishes.

On the other hand, what I think is cooler, is when you're getting your *** beat down, getting combo'd, and then they mess up their timing by like one frame, and you were mashing for a Final Atomic Buster, and so all the people behind you see, is you getting combo'd, and out of nowhere, you interrupt their combo with a Final Atomic Buster for the win.
I love that more than anything. Sex kick style.

C 3

Smash Ace
Shows what you know about Dan...from certain games anyway.

I'll agree he's useless in Alpha 2, but the other games he's in, he's not exactly the worst character in the game or anything.

And, in some, (Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter) he's a beast of a monster, and a force to be reckoned with.
I meant it in a compliment, being the Dan of Smash Bros. is an honor.

People who think I'm throwing a tantrum are pretty sad.

He's just uglier and has a worse voice. It's not our fault Nintendo did that, don't put the blame on us.
If you can show me at least 2 videos of Dan being used in HIGH LEVEL competitive play (aka shoryuken promoted stuff) or 2 SF pros that use Dan where the player makes it to the finals or wins the whole thing, I will gladly take back my comment even though I was joking, I love Dan. I also play competitive CvS2/SF3/MvC2, so I really hope u know what ur talkin about....because I have a decent idea from experience. Even a current tier list where Dan is mid tier or higher would be nice. -

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
If you can show me at least 2 videos of Dan being used in HIGH LEVEL competitive play (aka shoryuken promoted stuff) or 2 SF pros that use Dan where the player makes it to the finals or wins the whole thing, I will gladly take back my comment even though I was joking, I love Dan. I also play competitive CvS2/SF3/MvC2, so I really hope u know what ur talkin about....because I have a decent idea from experience. Even a current tier list where Dan is mid tier or higher would be nice. -
At Anime Expo 05, there was this guy in the arcade on the CVS2 cabinet. I know it doesn't mean much, since I can't prove that the people playing against him were even high level players, but he was on that cabinet for about 30 minutes before he WILLINGLY left. Anyone that got on that cabinet was getting creamed by his Dan, as in, his Dan took out all 3 characters.

I've been playing 2D fighters since SFII like most SRKers, and I consider myself a very good player, but I couldn't stand up to his Dan either. He just defended almost anything I threw at him, small jumped comboed any chance he could get. The only round I almost beat him was whne I was using Gief, parried a light koryuken and caught him with an Aerial Russian Slam.

Anyways, Dan is awesome even if no one could use him, period. LoL.

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure he's mid tier in the MSH vs. SF tier list.

I only play ST, GGAC, Melee, and C&C Renegade competitively though.

Justin Wong had to take me out of my last ST tournament.
I've won Alpha 3 tournaments, even though all I can basically do is Vism Zangief.

D

Deleted member

PIMPUIGI!
lol crabwalk luigi is serious business and everyone knows dan is god tier in alpha =D

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
PIMPUIGI!
lol crabwalk luigi is serious business and everyone knows dan is god tier in alpha =D
Dan is at his prime in Alpha because of the SUPER TAUNTS!!! Not just THE super taunt, but the level 3 version that turns all his attacks into taunts :D

Pimp, what character(s) do you use in Accent Core???

I main Potemkin (Love grapplers, though I'm not sure if Pot is necessarily considered one), use Order Sol for fun, and am trying to learn how to use Eddy effectively. I can't get a real comboes going with him though aside from the basic p k s hs combo =/

I just love Pot because the same rules apply...I remember the first time I played a GG game, and he didn't feel like he had the same grappler mechanics that Gief, R. Mika, and even T. Hawk had. Guess it just took some practice and getting used to.

Gotta love that crouching slash -> Pot Buster. Mmm block stun.

P.S. If I hadn't said it yes, I guess I'm sorry to contributing to the derailing of this thread? lol D:

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
I honestly can't tell how well I'll like it until I try out Zangief.
He always makes or breaks the game for me, and then Dan's there for backup otherwise in the cases where Zangief doesn't make the game for me.

His nuclear hand is just as good as wavedashing IMO in Super Turbo.
Definitely pimp when you absorb a fireball into it, and then you get a Final Atomic Buster as it finishes.

On the other hand, what I think is cooler, is when you're getting your *** beat down, getting combo'd, and then they mess up their timing by like one frame, and you were mashing for a Final Atomic Buster, and so all the people behind you see, is you getting combo'd, and out of nowhere, you interrupt their combo with a Final Atomic Buster for the win.
I love that more than anything. Sex kick style.
Oh oh, one more thing, you watched the SFIV game play video that introduced all the original 8 characters right?

If you haven't noticed, watch the video again, and tell me I'm not crazy---is Gief using an EX Spinning Piledriver???!

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
It looks like Gief is EX 3 style right now IMO.

I use HO Sol, gotta Pimp the HO. lol

I hate Pot, I feel like he's the worst designed big man ever.
Hugo and T. Hawk are even cooler than he is to me.

His big move is so boring.
He just puts you on his back, goes up, goes down, and puts you down.
Doesn't even look like anything happens.

On the other hand, I think it's cool when he air combo's into it.
That's awesome.

Other than that, I am anti Pot.

Dan in Alpha 1 was awesome, cause his chain combo's were very good.

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman

That's awesome.

Aha, fair enough. Pot isn't very popular with my crew of friends, but that's for a different reason lol.

Oh no no, I think you misunderstood me. I don't mean he looks like EX Street Fighter Gief, I mean, EX specials, you know from Street Fighter III, when you press 2 punches/kicks instead of 1, you get a stronger special at the cost of energy.

There's a part in the video, when Gief jumps over Blanka, he does his 360. BUT unless I'm crazy he is glowing yellow. In SFIII, that meant you used an EX special.

I heard EX's were in SFIV, it's not that in which I'm surprised, but in any game that used EX's you couldn't EX a 360, so this is crazy if you can now lol.

D

Deleted member

That's awesome.

remember kids,dont do pot

seshun

Smash Apprentice
im perfectly fine with this luigi nair>utilt>utilt>utilt>.........>usmash>chop! chop! chop! chop! he's awesome i still pull off the same combos except the best in melee down throw>wavedash backwards>up B, but that doesnt matter his upB is way easier to get in this game. I can own good ike's and wolf's on a good day. luigi's just fun. And he can still go ridiculously far out to kill off stage, but its even better now bcuz his better recovery.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
New Luigi > old.

He doesn't sound like Mario anymore, that's a good thing, he sounds like he should, maybe it's just new and you guys need to get used to it, he sounds WAY better.

DrewMoney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banditandrew
3DS FC
3540-0555-2542
New Luigi > old.

He doesn't sound like Mario anymore, that's a good thing, he sounds like he should, maybe it's just new and you guys need to get used to it, he sounds WAY better.
nope still not used to him....well havnt played in awhile though (5 days) gonna have a rockband smash partyish tomorrow so ill play him while im drunk maybe ill like him better haha

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
OK, after spending a few days with Luigi, I've concluded that he's worse than melee Luigi in every way except for one thing...

His Up B works much better in Brawl.

In Brawl, Luigi has less combos, his throws do not lead to combos, he was worse, yes I said worse recovery, and except for his up B and bair, generally lacks kill moves.

Keep in mind I could do Luigi's full scale recovery in Melee, and in Brawl, people can fly anyway, so it's not impressive.
His aerials lack the previous priority they had, and also the previous range and power.

In fact, in general, all his moves lost range.
He's overall been nerfed, and no one really notices right now.

His taunts were buffed, his up B was buffed, and the rest of his moves have been nerfed.

Nothing we can do but : (

Tube

Smash Rookie
i love luigi in brawl, he is more of a distinct character from mario then in melee. but i do miss wavedashing... :(

DrewMoney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banditandrew
3DS FC
3540-0555-2542
OK, after spending a few days with Luigi, I've concluded that he's worse than melee Luigi in every way except for one thing...

His Up B works much better in Brawl.

In Brawl, Luigi has less combos, his throws do not lead to combos, he was worse, yes I said worse recovery, and except for his up B and bair, generally lacks kill moves.

Keep in mind I could do Luigi's full scale recovery in Melee, and in Brawl, people can fly anyway, so it's not impressive.
His aerials lack the previous priority they had, and also the previous range and power.

In fact, in general, all his moves lost range.
He's overall been nerfed, and no one really notices right now.

His taunts were buffed, his up B was buffed, and the rest of his moves have been nerfed.

Nothing we can do but : (
do u not read the title of the thread??!!??

recovery is a little bit better, but then again i would always used bullet bill (for his missle, by buddy would call it bullet bill) to recovery and now it doesnt seem like it goes as far....and combing, f that no more when luigi hits somebody now they didnt land into place like b4

:(

Exovel

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's all downhill for Luigi in brawl.

But, on a positive note, I went to a small tourney this past weekend, about 40+ people, and there were only two Luigi players and we both made it to the semis. So at least he's still main-able, even though I would still main him if they nerfed him even more.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Erm pimpuigi, I have a bone to pick with your list of nerfs.
For starters, saying he has less comboability is stupid, because everyone does dues to the new gravity. Infact, compared to the rest of the cast his comboability looks very good.
Same thing applys for throws, even though d throw can in some situations.
U Smash and F Smash are also good kill moves. F Smashes kills at 90% with DI on alot of the cast.

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
...what I don't understand is how you guys think his appearance and voice are connected to his play style???

I can adapt to any fighters play style, I always main who I think is the coolest character.

I'm maining Luigi in Brawl...

But his appearance and voice are appalling.
I have to make up a story, to explain why Luigi became that ugly.

And it goes something like Mario was jealous of his brothers better looks, and how all the princesses would swoon to his voice, and how he could sing better etc. etc.
So Mario paid Marth, Sheik, and Fox to triple team gang bang him, and they kidnapped him, gave his plastic surgery, stretched out his skull, removed his tonsils, and tried to remove his voice box entirely, but they failed, and Luigi is now angry, and ready for revenge.

Be afraid.
Luigi has always looked like that. He's always had an oversized nose and bottle-shaped head.

Top Bottom