• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are cpu's preparing us for anything?

JigglyPunch

Smash Apprentice
I was playing a 1 on 1 a while ago against a cpu, and they just kept walking into my attacks. Is that how people actually play? I hope not. I can't help but feel I can beat a lvl 9, but that still wont get me a tournament win.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
No, beating a cpu will not prepare you for a human opponent. CPUs are better but stupider than humans in a way that training against cpu's won't help you beat a human opponent.

What CPU's can do better than Humans
- They are computers and can perfect sheild alot and can constly get you with perfectly timed jabs
- You can't often trick them when trying to escape them to land on the ground safely

What Humans can do better than CPU's
- Humans will trick you into doing things that they want so they can get an advantage.
- Humans aren't limited by computers and can be very unpredictable
- They know what moves are better and they apply techniques and mindgames.

For example lets say were playing melee, and I've never fought a human opponent ever. I play as Mario and the cpu is Fox.

I chain throw him to 80% with up throws because he didn't DI.

Now I think that this is a very broken technique and I plan to use it all the time.

I play against a human opponent who uses fox. I try using the technique on him and he DI's to the right and gets out of my grab at 5%.

Summary of the example: CPU's will only make you believe in false combos and techniques.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'd say CPU's are only good training when you first get Brawl or any Smash game for that matter and are trying to figure things out with a character. After that advanced techniques and that such are better off practiced on human players.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
^This. Computer practise grants you familiarity and teaches you basic physics. And of course, basically everybody uses them for practising particular ATs.

JoeFury88

Smash Rookie
Regardless of how high the CPU's level is, a CPU is a CPU and a Human is a Human. There is a difference in skill level that simply cannot be ignored. CPUs, though able to pull off moves that even some humans can't do, they tend to be much more ignorant to some common knowledge.

Example:

Say you're Ike and you've already begun to deal some heavy damage to your foe, possibly around 80% or higher. So to finish off your opponent, you use Ike's tap-A attack, that powerful heavy swing that sends anyone flying, to hit him. He'll walk right into it like nothing is the matter; that right there is the difference you need to learn about, unless a actual person it trying to grab you or hit you before you can finish the attack, they're gonna stay clear of you until the attack finishes, soon picking you off in a counter attack.

SHUCKLE MAN

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I find the level 9 CPUs harder than most people on Wi-fi, especially CPUs such as Luigi, Peach and Pikachu.

CPUs are more predictable, but they seem to know exactly what moves you're using, whilst a human wouldn't react quick enough, if that makes sense.

With humans, you end up in mind games, and all that sort of stuff. But, with CPUs, you sometimes do an attack, and the CPU miraculously shields in the next frame, or something insane like that. Humans can't usually do this.

If you are finding the CPUs too easy though, there's always handicaps. :) See if you can beat L.9 CPUs when you begin at 50%, for example.

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
Humans are smarter, more stratigic, faster and all together better than CPU's. Practice against CPU's if you're trying to learn the game/ a technicue, but play against people for real practice. Humans ftw. xD

If we create Artificial Intelligence in the future, this is going to backfire on me...

ISMFOF

Smash Cadet
the only thing i think the computers are training you for against humans is dodging.

if a cpu is ike and they do thier right smash you will see him lift his sword about to smash you, but you will eventually learn to dodge it.

if a person is ike and does the same attack it will have THE SAME time to for the attack to get you THE SAME distance of the attack and THE SAME time for you to dodge.

so if a cpu or a person does it you will about the same chance of dodging it.

Oimetra

Smash Cadet
I would say cpus are usefull to get familiar with your character, learn the range of every move, the strenght and time it takes to perform, as well as if it is able to do certain things like "can i throw 3 hits with 1 jump?"..."looks like no"... "but can i throw 4 with 2?" "hey, look... it can be done"

Overall i would say cpus are usefull just to get to know your character better altho the only good experience they give beside that is to learn how/when to dodge (like ISMFOF said)

Yours, Oim

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well if you have to fight a cpu, just set a goal while doing it. Like 3 stocking them under 100%. It mostly just helps with learning to space and dodge.

If you really want a challenge, do a special brawl with stamina mode and give you 1 HP and them 300. See if you can take them down. One mistake and you're dead. :p

This definitely isn't as good as fighting real people, but when you have nobody to fight, it's a good way to become more familiar with your character.

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
CPU's are like that first push when you learn to ride a bike.
When you get Wi-Fi or play human players in person, now THAT is where you start peddling.

(Hoorible comparison, I know. lol)

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Hell naw, CPU's suck whale ****. If a sucky-azz player like me can 3 stock one, then that says something.

Toony

Smash Journeyman
Beating a CPU is NOT the same as beating a REAL opponent.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
I would say cpus are usefull to get familiar with your character, learn the range of every move, the strenght and time it takes to perform, as well as if it is able to do certain things like "can i throw 3 hits with 1 jump?"..."looks like no"... "but can i throw 4 with 2?" "hey, look... it can be done"
The only thing about that is that computer's don't DI optimally.

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
It's really hard to compare human players with AI.

CPU knows how to do all moves at any given time and doesn't get fooled with mindgames or traps. They will always use the most logical option in a certain situation. However, because of that they get very predictable.

Humans often make mistakes and are sometimes easily fooled with mindgames, but they have the ability to learn many different techniques the computer will never learn. In many situations, human players could do many different things. Humans are very unpredictable, and are all different.
That's what makes us way better players than a computer will ever be.

We humans are awesome :D

ISMFOF

Smash Cadet
It's really hard to compare human players with AI.

CPU knows how to do all moves at any given time and doesn't get fooled with mindgames or traps. They will always use the most logical option in a certain situation. However, because of that they get very predictable.

Humans often make mistakes and are sometimes easily fooled with mindgames, but they have the ability to learn many different techniques the computer will never learn. In many situations, human players could do many different things. Humans are very unpredictable, and are all different.
That's what makes us way better players than a computer will ever be.

We humans are awesome :D
be careful what you say while ON a computer, one day they may get smart enough to think and find offensive things we may have said

Top Bottom