• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are '13ers the new '08ers?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The trailer for Brawl was released in '07. So I think your talking about '07's

finalark

SNORLAX
Yes, because this is the internet we must always have a group of people we have an unfounded dislike for even if they enjoy the same things as us.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes, because this is the internet we must always have a group of people we have an unfounded dislike for even if they enjoy the same things as us.
Well, tbh it's not just the internet, it's every aspect of life.

The "veterans" of something will always have a superiority complex against the newcomers

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Nah dude, it'll be the 14'ers. Oh God to think 08ers were once a thing.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Not all '08's joined for brawl. :D (But brawl hype reminded me to join) :D

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
The "veterans" of something will always have a superiority complex against the newcomers
Don't confuse a respect for standards with a misplaced sense of superiority. An influx of new users will hit the boards every so often. What do you think will happen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endless_September

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Are you implying Smashboards has standards, and that there are "standards" other than global forum rules that are almost identical to any other online forum? My guess would be that you are referring to standards that are arbitrarily set by the actual members themselves – a sub-culture if you will. Then, okay, yeah, the Wiki article you cited makes sense, but it still doesn't change the fact that people get a sense of superiority that they've been around longer than other people. This is actually why imageboards are anonymous, so that other people can't judge you based on your join date, amount of posts, but the actual content of your post. The funny thing is that it's almost a human instinct to set up these "standards" to get a sense of superiority/belonging, so even though such a system is in place, there are a lot of people still actively enforcing these "standards" that you would find on a non-anonymous board/community/etc.

tl;dr interesting article, but it still doesn't change the fact that some people do have superiority complexes just because they've been around longer

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Are you implying Smashboards has standards, and that there are "standards" other than global forum rules that are almost identical to any other online forum?
No. Please read what I wrote again, with attention this time.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Once again, I am inclined to believe you did not read my post with care.

...it still doesn't change the fact that people get a sense of superiority that they've been around longer than other people.
I never denied that some people actually do have a superiority complex due to status. Read what I quoted once more:

Also,

The funny thing is that it's almost a human instinct to set up these "standards" to get a sense of superiority/belonging, so even though such a system is in place, there are a lot of people still actively enforcing these "standards" that you would find on a non-anonymous board/community/etc.
it is very common for someone who engages someone in a subject in which the other person has experience or authority, especially in the sciences, to regard the other person as having a superiority complex. If you are someone speaking about something in the subject and you have convictions about a wrong idea, or spread misinformation, you are probably going to be berated by someone knowledgeable. It isn't because they felt superior to you. It is because you are wrong, and wrong information is not the way forward.

In case you have not gathered, there is a much greater probability of a person being obstinately ignorant and so forth when they are apart of an influx of new users, thus the disdain for a new influx.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Eh. I don't think PsychoIncarnate was being too literal when he said that all veterans are like that, and that's how I read it. So, yeah, I did not know you were putting emphasis on "everyone" because if I had known that, I would have agreed with your post. However, the latter portion of your post has me wondering if we're still on different wavelengths here, lol. While what you are saying is true, it really isn't relevant to Smashboards in particular, or sites that aren't about the sciences (e.g., talking about facts and information where authority/seniority might come into play). I am talking about being treated differently simply because you're new, and not because what you are saying is spreading misinformation. Knowledgeable can be different in different contexts. While knowledgeable in the sciences would be the knowledge of hard facts, knowledgeable in an online forum would be arbitrary "standards" like using certain phrases, or heck, using a simple emoticon would be enough to piss people off.

I understand what you are talking about now, but I still think people can be a little nicer to new people regardless if someone has a superiority complex or if they are just trying to enforce "standards." :)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh no, I wasn't speaking literally everyone. I meant more that I've seen the sort of thing in a lot of different communities, like there is always at least those people whenever you get involved with something

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
12er reporting in. We're all just hopping on the SSB4 Hype train to be honest.

I joined after hoping I wouldn't be labeled as a newfag, accumulating a respectable post count and trying to establish a neutral view on the smash games before the wave of new accounts came flooding in post E3.

Now that so many newcomers from the Brawl era have joined the boards and smash 4 has practically been established as focused towards casuals, the melee master race has been pushed back to this dark corner of the boards, if not wiped out completely.

I feel conflicted. I like that the boards are no longer Brawl vs Melee debates, but detest the new users that don't know what they're talking about and will be gone in a few weeks.

I really hope the next smash bros will have just as good, if not greater, a scene than the melee and brawl eras that I missed out on during my many years without an internet connection, playing smash on my nintendo 64 without realizing that melee was already out and rumors for brawl had begun.

Anyway I came to this section of Smashboards looking for answers to the history of this site. Like, why do all the mods/site developers have anthro animals for their avatars? How long have the boards been around? I've seen some members from 2002, Meleeruler's profile says member since 1969 XD. Just hard to pinpoint a date.

Top Bottom