• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

April 07, 2007 University of Chicago Tournament

khepri

Smash Lord

When: Saturday April 7th, 2007

Where: University of Chicago
5445 S. Ingleside Ave.
Chicago, IL 60615

We're two blocks north of the university campus. Our building looks like this:

Time: We want to get the doubles started by 2 p.m., singles will follow about an hour after that. People should mostly arrive between 12:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., if you come early you can either help us set up or play friendlies until we start. It will run as long as it needs to, but hopefully not too long.

If you want to play doubles though, you MUST be here by then. Singles will start promptly after doubles are done.

Cost: $5 singles, $10 team ($5 per person in team)

*note: We only have 3 tv's here, but we have spaces available for around 10. First 3 people to bring tv's don't have to pay for singles. We also need gamecubes and such since we only have two systems, so first three people to bring systems get free singles as well.

*We strongly suggest you all bring your own controllers, but if you don't have any we do have some you may borrow.

Prizes: 1st place will get 60%, 2nd gets 30%, 3rd gets 10%

Tournament:

Stages:
-Singles-
Neutral Stages (Stages on Random Select): Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, and Dream Land 64

Banned Stages: Icicle Mountain, Termina Bay, Flat Zone, Hyrule Temple, Venom, Brinstar Depths, Fourside, and Yoshi's Island 64.

=Doubles=
Neutral Stages (Stages on Random Select): Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, and Dream Land 64

Banned Stages: Icicle Mountain, Fountain of Dreams, Flat Zone, Hyrule Temple, Venom, Mute City, Mushroom Kingdom, Brinstar Depths, Fourside, Big Blue, and Yoshi's Island 64.

- Items will be off

- Double elimination

- 4 stock matches, 8 minute limit
Regular matches will be best 2 out of 3. Finals will be best 3 out of 5.

- For Doubles, Team Attack will be on.

- Advanced Slob Picks: The loser of the previous round gets to pick the stage, then the winner chooses a character. The loser then chooses a character.

- Double Blind Pick: At any point during character selection, a double blind pick may be called, in which each person must tell their character choice to P before the match starts. Whichever character is told to P will be the character they must play as.

- Trash talking is fine, as long as you do it in jest, otherwise you may get kicked out if you have a bad attitude.

If I missed anything you would like to know about, let me know. Otherwise, I hope to see the lot of you here on April 7th.

Post if you're coming, and how many you're bringing so that we may get an estimate.

LET US KNOW IF YOU'RE BRINGING A TV OR A CUBE OR BOTH

- JustOwnin = bringing tv and cube
- Zjiin = cube & vcr
- Demi = tv & cube
- kels88 = vcr
- seamore = (maybe) cube

Guests:

- alcheato
- Scythe + crew
- JustOwnin + crew
- Zjiin
- Mars
- Jazzness
- chewvv
- Kels88
- Zurad
- Demi
- RamonNoodles

Possible Guests/Unconfirmed:

- Brightside6382
- iamthemicrowave
- seamore
- Hoefler
- valtiel
- Midas

Facebook Event Link

alcheato

Smash Ace
You might want to take Fountain of Dreams off doubles so people don't complain.

alcheato

Smash Ace
I'd check it out. I'm sure it'd get a decent turnout since it's in the Chi-town area.

JustOwnin

Smash Apprentice
JustOwnin and either The NOTHING or the SEGAMASTER shall grace thsi tournaemnt with their prescense and shall, of course, bring a console and TV forged of pure OWANGE for you to be OWNED on.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Sounds interesting, but you should really make some time (about 30mins) between doubles and singles for some food or soemthing. People can get irritated if they have to play so many matches back to back.

khepri

Smash Lord
Sounds interesting, but you should really make some time (about 30mins) between doubles and singles for some food or soemthing. People can get irritated if they have to play so many matches back to back.
I should have clarified that. We will probably have an hour break from when doubles end to the beginning of singles.

Jazzness

Smash Ace
Playing Smash for money is considered gambling and is illegal on any university campus.
No, it won't help your cause to ask permission to do so, since the University has policies in place preventing such events from occurring, however; it's not considered gambling if the prizes won are not $. Sadly this will deter many people's interest in such an event.

If this is held in a public place on campus, I'd highly recommend a location change due to risk of discovery.

khepri

Smash Lord
Playing Smash for money is considered gambling and is illegal on any university campus.
No, it won't help your cause to ask permission to do so, since the University has policies in place preventing such events from occurring, however; it's not considered gambling if the prizes won are not $. Sadly this will deter many people's interest in such an event.

If this is held in a public place on campus, I'd highly recommend a location change due to risk of discovery.
We are off campus. We just go here and live a block off campus. It was easier for us to say the location that way.

khepri

Smash Lord
Here's the space we have. It's not that big, but we'll be moving all the game tables (pool, air hockey, etc.) our and put in little tables for the tvs and cubes. We also have plenty of chairs.

EDIT: Those pictures were annoying...

Scythe

Smash Master
Well i'm definitley going now. Tell me if you need a doubles partner Jazz. I can use Peach now lol.

Zurad

Smash Cadet
Awesome, I'll be going to this for sure

Also, I do have a cube I can bring with me, but it has been somewhat unreliable lately with disc errors popping up sometimes before and after a match (never in between, thankfully). Consider it a last minute opportunity, should there be a huge shortage of cubes.

khepri

Smash Lord
Alright, looks like we will have a decent turnout. I updated the first page a bit. Guests/possible guests and such.

Also, if anyone is interested, my friends made a facebook group if you have a facebook and want to join:

Facebook Event

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629

I state my rebutal of Smashing Grounds.... O_o How is that... different... >_>

seamore

Smash Rookie
Put me down as a maybe, i might or might not be visiting chicago next week. If i do come, i will be able to bring a cube.

Zjiin

Smash Master
So what's the haps here? Do we have to vacate the premises right after this thing is over, or will there be time for some friendlies and such?

Top Bottom