• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Apr 4, 2015] SWEET XX: A Super Smash Bros. Melee Tournament feat. Westballz! (East Lansing, MI)

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
There will be intermittent friendlies depending on where the bracket is at in that point in time.
(A venue fee of $5 will be charged to everyone coming in, no matter what, by the way.)

You're free to play friendlies whenever TV's are open, as long as they don't interfere with people that need to play their tournament sets on them.

tl;dr, there will be lots of friendlies throughout the day. We have the venue for roughly 12-13 hours I believe. You'll have more than enough time to play tons of friendlies. :awesome:

However, if you do decide to enter, we'll most likely be doing pools with an amateur bracket (which almost guarantees you get approximately 5-6 tournament sets no matter what), the cost is $10 for a singles entry.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Do you think people would mind if a scrub joins in a tourney? I know I'll get creamed, but I want to enter for the experience.

Sweet™

Premium
No one will mind at all! In fact, I'm sure everyone would support me saying that we'd all recommend it!
Everyone started somewhere. You'll never get tourney experience unless ya enter!

Nobody will mind. Everyone at these tournaments are exceptionally nice. You'll have a great time regardless!

Sweet™

Premium
Most melee streams now-a-days are done on Twitch.
There will be (most likely) two streams going on. One for melee, one for Project M; unless of course we run them one at a time, then probably only one.

The stream we'll be using, I believe, is http://www.twitch.tv/UMSmash

Any more questions, post up here, and I'll answer tomorrow when I wake up, or Juggleguy will handle it whenever he checks the thread.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
All right, thank you!

I have few more questions:
Since I've never been to a tourney, I'm not too sure how to sign up. Do you just arrive by a time, fill out a registration, and then pay?
Second, can I enter both the Melee and Project M tourneys?

Thank you!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Since I've never been to a tourney, I'm not too sure how to sign up. Do you just arrive by a time, fill out a registration, and then pay?
Arrive by 1pm if you want to enter Melee Doubles and/or Project M Doubles. Arrive by 3pm if you want to enter Melee Singles and/or Project M Singles. We do registration in-person at these, no need to sign up ahead of time. The only things you need to bring are your own controller and enough cash to enter the events you wish to play in. From now on, just check the original post of this thread for all these details.

Second, can I enter both the Melee and Project M tourneys?
Yes. A lot of people do this all the time.

I definitely recommend entering at least one event, it's a good experience to have will be worth it (especially Melee). If you don't feel like entering, you can still show up and pay the $5 venue fee for the ability to play friendlies all day.

kd-

Smash Lord
Welcome to competitive smash! Definitely enter, the experience is well worth it and you'll get some friendlies in too anyway.

Some tournaments are bigger and require preregistration, but for this you just show up to the venue by the time the first event you want to join happens - doubles registration ends at 1pm and singles registration ends at 3pm. No registration to fill out; get to the TO desk to pay and have them enter your name/tag in

You can enter both Melee and Project M, many people enter both. Just make sure you show up for your matches in both games.

Edit: Second time you've ninja'd me -_-;

Pizzaman

Smash Cadet
:marthmelee: when I went to my first tournamt I got crushed. I also got crushed the second time. It all comes with experience.:marthmelee:

RyeJew

Smash Journeyman
Been feeling pretty sick this past week and my fox controller remains broken, though if I start feeling better by tomorrow I'll practice up my puff or something for this and head on out..
Hey man, I'm looking for a teammate. I don't care who it is.
If I manage to make it out to here I'd totally be down dude
Gotta get some tag-team Ness play in my dude, or perhaps some psychic power-play?
:150: !

SmashProJJFF

Smash Journeyman
Been feeling pretty sick this past week and my fox controller remains broken, though if I start feeling better by tomorrow I'll practice up my puff or something for this and head on out..

If I manage to make it out to here I'd totally be down dude
Gotta get some tag-team Ness play in my dude, or perhaps some psychic power-play?
:150: !
Yeah, man, let's do it. We're probably gonna win with a team like that.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Will there be room at the venue for N64 friendlies if I brought a setup?
We're running a Smash 64 tourney now thanks to General Heinz stepping up to run it, so definitely bring that setup along.

Sadly, I can't make it. I'll be watching on the stream to support everyone, though!
Stream is tentative on if Roki attends/wants to do it. If it happens, I'll post a link to it tomorrow afternoon.

Sean of the World

Smash Rookie
We're running a Smash 64 tourney now thanks to General Heinz stepping up to run it, so definitely bring that setup along.
Will do. Is there any issue with the fact that my N64 is jumper pack only, and not expansion pack? I'm sure it's no problem as the expansion pack has such a minimal effect on SSB64. Also is there any specification with TVs? Mine's a 20 inch or so tube with very clear picture and no edge cut off.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
No real requirements for the TV. The one you described is more than adequate.

Bring the N64 and SSB cartridge and General Heinz will look at it. I don't know much about the pack type, so I'll leave it up to him whether we can use it for tourney. You'll have your venue fee waived regardless for bringing the TV.

Sean of the World

Smash Rookie
No real requirements for the TV. The one you described is more than adequate.

Bring the N64 and SSB cartridge and General Heinz will look at it. I don't know much about the pack type, so I'll leave it up to him whether we can use it for tourney. You'll have your venue fee waived regardless for bringing the TV.
Thanks Sounds good. See you tomorrow.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Yeah. We slid on snow and hit a curb and Jacobs wheel is all ****ed up. So we're not making it anymore. :^(

You'd think Luigi players would be better about sliding all around.

Everyone DRIVE SAFE!

I'll say it for the first time in my life.

DON'T GAMBLE! H2NG

Top Bottom