• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching.

Bing

Smash Master
Okay so I've been maining Fox for almost two months now, my tech is becoming gradually more consistent(Apex REALLY helped for this)

Now one of my main concerns right now is approaching. I've been told by a few people that I play that Im "Almost there" just have to work on approaching and Ill be good. So basically, whats the best way to approach? I generally just short hop nair to shine in but that obviously doesnt always work.

I would love to provide an example of my playing, but I only have 1 recorded match on youtube(Actually, 1 period) and its of me vs. Shroomed. If you want to check it out search Apex 2012 Bing. I get *****, 3 stocked, then 2 stocked(only took one of those stocks because he Sd'd comboing the **** out of me.

If you would like to critque give any extra tips, please do. Also, Im aware I missed a lot of things, I screwed up like Every waveshine(nerves)

Nairs and JC grabs are your best approaches. Nair tears through anything. If you can guess your opponent's going to shield, grab

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I would also say that it's important to make it difficult to know when your actually approaching by mixing in wavelands, just landing to dashes/shield/upsmash/grab. Also mix in running shines and overshooting (I actually think overshooting aerials is pretty standard now).

Bing

Smash Master
I consistently mess up the jc grabs. But running shines are something I recently implemented. I like using dair shines to approach as well, but for some reason I always mess up the wavedash after.

I love wavelands though <3

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
I feel like now days when u overshoot things (thinking about like vs a falcon) ppl are just baiting it and unless u know for a fact its gonna hit its kinda gimmicky >.<

The best approach is one with a reason or none at all... try like working with ur opponents mind and try to get them to do something, then go in :)

*goes back to playing tetris*

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
I feel like now days when u overshoot things (thinking about like vs a falcon) ppl are just baiting it and unless u know for a fact its gonna hit its kinda gimmicky >.<

The best approach is one with a reason or none at all... try like working with ur opponents mind and try to get them to do something, then go in :)

*goes back to playing tetris*
Yes.

Approaching isn't a move or set a moves, it's a mindset. It's intimidation, it's feigning weakness to invoke brashness, it's being aloof, it's changing your style on a dime to counteract being read.

The move-set repertoire you develop is used to increase your options of developing your style/s. You don't play the opponent on the screen, you play the opponent sitting next to you.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I don't think overshooting is overrated. I feel like it dominated at one point in the meta-game which is why players are now either baiting overshots or doing pre-emptive counters to overshooters. It's definitely a rock/paper/scissors approach gambit to overshoot, but I don't think it makes it less effective. Just becomes more of a gambit.

Approaching for Fox.

Fox doesn't necessarily need to "approach". He just needs to be within a certain range that makes people guess whether or not he's going for a SHFFL n-air. Once you're in that range you either go for shield pressure with SHFFL n-air or d-air, full hop n-air for aerial approaches, wait and try to counter their approach with b-air, or most preferably just dash dance and stay within that range to make them uncomfortable and punish any kind of hesitation with jc grab.

tl;dr: Approaching doesn't necessarily mean going in. Just getting close enough to force a reaction and being able to respond accordingly. If they don't make any actions consider jc grab or SHFFL aerial into shine shield pressure.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
What I mean when I say that overshooting is overrated is that you are creating a rock paper scissor situation when you don't need to be. There are better approaches that have less counteroptions. That isn't to say you shouldn't use it, as variety is always of value when playing against another person, but you shouldn't be using it as a style basis like we were back in 2007-2008.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
scariest thing ever...cactuar just mentions some nebulous better strategy without expanding on it..

can marth handle it cactuar? i'm getting nervous now

Black Fire

Smash Rookie
A technique that I actually picked up maining Marth, is to run at them, make them think you are going to dash attack, but a little bit before you reach them, wavedash away from them. This opens up a lot of options. For instance, your opponent might try to forward smash you, and depending on the character, it might move them closer. This allows you to either forward smash back and actually make contact, or you could do a short wavedash and start waveshining...

I find there are a lot of opportunities that open up with this technique. Sometimes they will try to grab you, especially link and samus, since their extended grab will get you before you make contact with them were you to dash attack. This opens up a world of punishment for them. Mess around, see what you can do

Hope this helped

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
A technique that I actually picked up maining Marth, is to run at them, make them think you are going to dash attack, but a little bit before you reach them, wavedash away from them. This opens up a lot of options. For instance, your opponent might try to forward smash you, and depending on the character, it might move them closer. This allows you to either forward smash back and actually make contact, or you could do a short wavedash and start waveshining...

I find there are a lot of opportunities that open up with this technique. Sometimes they will try to grab you, especially link and samus, since their extended grab will get you before you make contact with them were you to dash attack. This opens up a world of punishment for them. Mess around, see what you can do

Hope this helped
What is it with all the revived threads? Driving me nuts.

Anyways, this is like the first thing they teach you to do when implementing WD into a real situation.

Top Bottom