• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching the kid in the hood

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Sup Ike boards T.Link is my main as u see and I'm doin some research.

How do Ike's take on approaching the mini titain?

Dicuss GO!!!

*sits down in a chair, with pencil and notepad to take notes*

Akashi

Smash Lord
The best approach to TL is taking out your controller and battering your opponent senseless with it. On a more serious note (although I do suggest the former), TL is extremely difficult to approach for Ike. His SHDA completely destroys any SHfair approach, bombs to tether can f*ck up our ground game, and boomerang has semi-good priority. CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, but I believe Ike's dash attack clangs with TL's arrows, so he can stop you dead in your tracks, but doesn't give you a damage penalty. I suggest you fight TL like you'd fight any good ranged fighter with a tether: air-dodge. Don't approach on the ground, try to keep in the air and wait for opportunities. Wait for a TL to set-up a SHDA or throw his boomerang (pretty decent ending lag) and go for a fair or nair to set-up jabs.

Ike's jab beats TL in terms of fighting face forward, but don't EVER try to approach him when he's looking the opposite direction. TL can easily combo Ike from 0~50% with his uair/bair, but after that he can't really link any moves together.

Here's some videos of Rykoshet's Ike fighting a very good TL:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=65-fORIFeyA - Final Destination, Ike wins
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6r9z-4reY18 - Smashville, Toon Link wins
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i1gYz3qWJyo - Halberd, Toon Link wins (hilarious ending xD)

All videos were from 2~3months ago, but VERY good interpretation of the match-up. HQ videos as well.

I hope that helps!

Akashi

Smash Lord
I watched the video, and it's just like any other tether, but with a smaller range. TL can set-up attacks easier (not sure if it's possible, but zair to usmash or dash attack. I know zair to grab would definitely work), but it's just like any of his ranged attacks: you need to air-dodge. There are some fights where air-dodging excessively will get you *****, but in this match-up you have to learn to be evasive in the air. However the tether shouldn't be underestimated <_< it can **** up your approaches even more because it stays out a tad bit longer than things like arrows.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Just dodge everything he throws at you if he's projectile heavy which most TLs I've seen are. But it would be a challenge because of said projectiles and his z-air.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
T.Links are great at juggling Ike at low % with their aerials and what not, although smart Ike's can get past projectiles with little difficulty, I really think the only threatening projectile T.Link has is the bombs and the Boomerang coming back on the recoil. What's that you say, you have arrow cancel? Tchya! I have my fists of stone and a magic bubble to make them useless!!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah, isn't it fantastic, Ike's AAA jab can cancel certain projectiles, boomerangs and I think arrows ae one of them. Airdodge can be considered but it isn't the only approach.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Ike approaching tlink isnt fun, what I do is try to nair projectiles out of my way and space my self so that I can hit him but he cant hit me (with his sword)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ike approaching tlink isnt fun, what I do is try to nair projectiles out of my way and space my self so that I can hit him but he cant hit me (with his sword)
Wait a minute, I thought aerials couldn't clank with attacks...don't they not...?!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah Kirk's right, even though I'm suprised to learn that aerials clank with some attacks, bombs are just things you want to downright avoid hitting. :/

iRjOn

Smash Lord
I space myself so I don't get hit.
How do u hit him?
T.Link has projectiles that must be pretty far...lol

I'll look at the vids later but gimme some other approaches other than air dodge approach pl0x.
Like this jab through projectiles, it cant work on bombs.
What would u do to space urself from his sword? and such
( i kno Ike out reachs T.Link's sword game).

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Alturito u darn right.

Akashi, Kirk Thanx for the videos nice matches Kirk.
That other Ike was pretty good too.
That was a really aggressive T.Link Kirk lol.

But yea thanx for the info everyone its been fun but I think I've deduced enough now.

Ike boards are kool l8rs!

Top Bottom