• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching small/short characters?

Teef And Claws

Smash Rookie
I'm thinking of playing a bit of falcon but I'm not quite sure how I should be approaching these little buggers. To be more exact my friend likes using metaknight, and as far as I know hes un hittable by any aerial approach...

The special moves are deffinately predictable/ punishable too.. So I really need some advice x_x

Mann

Smash Ace
You don't. That's the problem with Falcon now. Almost any approach that someone can think of, usually gets punished. One of the best ways to try would be to jump do a Bair/Dair(autocancel) when trying to land behind them. Have to be careful when using your dash attack/raptor boost.

I remember having some successful Dtilts to some aerials on Kirby/Metaknight.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Falcon Kick, Raptor Boost, and Dtilt. You leave yourself open for punishment at times but if they're small guys then you don't have to worry about the punishment being THAT brutal. Grab -> Dthrow/Uthrow is always good to get them up into your aerial zone too.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
As KeyKid said, Falcon Kick, Raptor Boost, and tilts. Falcon's tilts should become a mainstay of any Falcon's users moveset, since they're by far his best reaching and least laggy ground moves.

But, yeah, use dash attack every now and then when they aren't expecting it.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
As KeyKid said, Falcon Kick, Raptor Boost, and tilts. Falcon's tilts should become a mainstay of any Falcon's users moveset, since they're by far his best reaching and least laggy ground moves.

But, yeah, use dash attack every now and then when they aren't expecting it.
I was actually thinking of changing my C-stick to tilts to see how that went since I have a hard time pulling them off. However that really limits my Smashes so I don't know what I'm going to do. lol

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Yeah. I don't have trouble doing utilt or dtilt, but, for the life of me, that **** ftilt just won't obey. I can't count how many times I would get punished for doing an fsmash instead, or just simply jabbing.

D :<

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ftilt is hard. I can only do it if I've been walking for a few steps before I try to use it. As for Utilt I always find myself using Usmash instead. Dtilt isn't that hard but I have to camp to use it which sucks.

So yeah I suck at tilts. lol

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Do you try doing the pointing c-stick and control stick in the same direction method? It makes it really easy to do utilts and dtilts, but doesn't help at all for ftilts.

However, it seems to me that the dtilt is more useful and I think has even further range than the ftilt, so it's not so necessary to do the ftilt a lot, but it's useful to use every now and then in a pinch.

And, oh yeah, Falcon's utilt still has that extended hitbox below it, so you can, if you time really accurately, hit people with an utilt right before they grab the ledge if they're coming up from below. It also does pretty good knockback in general, so it's nice to use. Just kind of laggy.

Mann

Smash Ace
I was actually thinking of changing my C-stick to tilts to see how that went since I have a hard time pulling them off. However that really limits my Smashes so I don't know what I'm going to do. lol
It can be useful, but it's caused me some problems. Sometimes using it causes me to do another jump, it's easier to do smashes with the c-stick at times. And sometimes it... just doesn't do the job. I mostly use the C-stick for Uair/Dairs and Fsmashes.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
i really dont understand how anyone can say " it's easier to do smashes with the c-stick at times" it is always easier to do smashes and ariels with the c-stick speacially now that you cant do 100 shffls a minute. or any for that matter. and doin tilts just takes gettin used to. i remember when i didnt know about the shield or rolling or grabbing or tilts or netural airs. the nairs i learned about last year haha.

and on topic, falcon should probably never approach anyone unless theyre in the air for some reason.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't have nearly as good of timing with my aerials if I use the C-stick as opposed to A+direction. I do use it sometimes but only in certain situations where I feel more comfortable with it for some reason. lol

I also jump with the control stick. *gasp!* Unless I'm SH-ing of course. Then I use the very edge of my Y button. lol

And I think Falcon can approach, you just have to have a serious gameplan when going in. He isn't totally helpless.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Well, Jona, Falcon is going to have to approach people at some point. They aren't going to just obligingly jump into the air to be hit.

But, yeah, I use the c-stick for pretty much all my aerials, since it was so necessary for Melee. I always use the y/x button to jump. I just could never feel accurate with a control stick that jumped. I wish you could turn off control stick jumping in Melee like in Brawl.

Top Bottom