• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching a Toon you!?!!?

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Fellow Heros the title says it all.
So my question is dealing with T.Link.

How do Links approach him or do they approach at all...?

This is a nice disscussion no argueing...>_>...

Also I'm just a listener I wont be adding my 2 cent might just ask another question about the topic.
So its all you Link users!

*grabs a pencil, gets a sandwhich, sits down*

BEGIN!!!

dlen06

Smash Apprentice
I don't personally have a lot of experience with this matchup, but consider myself decent with both link and t. link, so I'll try to help.

I'd have to say that most of the time a good toon link will out-camp a good link. Toon link's arrows go farther and he is more mobile, which allows him to dodge projectiles better than link.

As for link's approaches, perhaps throw a bomb to get him in the air and then rush towards him to get underneath for a u-tilt or sliding u-smash. Toon link will probably jump and short hop a lot so the zair is your friend. Retreating zairs to projectiles could help setup smashes.

I'm also curious about this matchup so keep the suggestions coming!

Swordplay

Smash Lord
My projectile game is good enough to the point where I usually don't have to approach.

If I ever do approach... it will be with SHAD to get around projectiles. Doin SHAD also gives me the zair option.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
hmm...yes lets get some approach ideas shall we lol

Sword play since ur projectile play is good and you dont approach what if the T.Link had a very good projectile play also.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Usually then it results in a stale mate.

If the Toon Link is really good at SHDL. He will have the advantage here. I can FHDA (full hope double arrow). I can land in between the gaps of the arrows and use arrow cancel to cancel incoming arrows if there are mistakes made in the SHDL.

Toon Links boomerang also has sharper angels making an air approach difficult.

Often I count on bombs. Link can throw bombs farther than TL. In the event I do become out spammed (rare but happens) I usually rely on a bomb. I try throwing bombs outside of TL's bomb range and make him go mobile. If TL does go mobile it means that there is a temporary disruption in his spam. If i do decide to approach Often times depending on the spacing I will follow it up with a DAC to approach a zair because Link has a better zair than TL. If i wish to continue to spam, I can arrow cancel.

Let's say I am really far away though and SHDA's are coming at me. I will usually SHAD or roll to close the gap to bomb range. I will never try to approach the TL unless I have interrupted his spam to some extent. Doing so would be stupid.

Of course TL will try to do the same. Simply put, whoever does this more successfully will be put at a disadvantage as they have to play more offensively and thus loose the match.

SHAD is my last option if I am just getting completely ***** in projectiles. It will allow me to evade projectiles and Zair once they have passed canceling other projectiles. Since Links zair is better than TL, SHAD is one of links best options. Link falls fast and the Zair has good priority and auto cancels. I'm just going to try to SHAD and make him stop his projectiles and try to out range him in close combat. (easier said than done)

Hopefully that provided you with more insight.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
It's not about Link approaching Toon Link, its only about how fast you can punish a Toon Link.
I got wrecked by a Toon Link for thinking I could pressure him. They spam projectiles like mad (but they do it well) and then jump over you when you approach while dropping bombs, throwing them down, etc. TL can double jump far higher than Link can, and his dair is deadly if his bomb hits you.
Again, just focus on punishing him. Pressure him so he can't spam you to oblivion, but TL has far too many defensive options to outrun, outgun and outjump you.

Toon Link's arrows come out faster, Ter. TL's are slower but he can spam them far quicker than Link can; those two reasons combined are why TL has such better arrows. Plus, combine this with his boomerang and bombs... He's definetely got a better projectile game than Link. He can block off countless approaches from his opponents, and those blocks last longer (With exception to his upbomb throw, which doesn't go quite as high).

iRjOn

Smash Lord
hmm nice info guys!

still want alittle more variety on approaches tho unless this is really all Links do...
I dont main Link anymore and I stopped maining him like as soon as brawl came out.
During melee he was who i mained but then I gave up on him when his recovery got screwed over...

So now lets get more veriety shall we unless there is none of course..lol

@Anonano nice match up info but I'm not asking for matchup info...reread the original post...>_>
Lets just keep it on how Links approach shall we...lol

Museh

Smash Rookie
I tend to find that using a horrible amount of spam right from the outset of the match and approaching by using z-air (if he's doing those gay sh aerials) and/or shad helps me out a bit when playing vs a toon link; generally I find that toon link's projectiles are more spammable than links because of the seemingly longer range of his arrows compared to link's, but very occasionally you can also interrupt his spamming by pushing him back with a well-spaced boomerang.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
When it comes to sword vs sword toon link is more likely to win due to his speed. however Link beats toon link in projectiles, surprisingly toon links projectiles are slower than Links. I personally try to space toon link and use my sword when he trys using his projectiles and i find him at a open spot

sasook

Smash Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thing is, Link doesn't have much of an approach to begin with. Now you're asking us how to approach against a wall of projectiles that is even better than Link's.

Link's "approach" varies from character to character, it's really just barely existent. That's why some people are putting matchup info. Personally, I'm a close ranged fighter Link, so this matchup......sucks.

I generally alternate between approaching and retreating projectiles. This is a projectile war, these matches. Don't expect too much close combat til really high %s for the kill.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thing is, Link doesn't have much of an approach to begin with. Now you're asking us how to approach against a wall of projectiles that is even better than Link's.

Link's "approach" varies from character to character, it's really just barely existent. That's why some people are putting matchup info. Personally, I'm a close ranged fighter Link, so this matchup......sucks.

I generally alternate between approaching and retreating projectiles. This is a projectile war, these matches. Don't expect too much close combat til really high %s for the kill.
pretty much right but.....better projectiles?

Arrows slower (rly easy to dodge

boomerangs slower (again easy to dodge)

bombs are ok, better coverage, less power

I personally like to rack the % high then use projectiles closer up till i make a opening or he uses them and makes one for me

iRjOn

Smash Lord

lol thats what i have been asking the whole time Mr. I asked how to approach T.Link that automatically means your gonna have a wall of projectiles flying at you. lol

Never changed my question just want more of an answer veriety.
If there wasnt I wanted to be be told that there wasn't but from looking at these last few post i can tell that there is not any other approach options other than out spam him or just run up and shield and dodge your way through ( if you can).

But yes thanx Links for your nice corpooration I'll take advice until tommorrow then I think i should be done.
Lets just wait and see...

sasook

Smash Champion
pretty much right but.....better projectiles?

Arrows slower (rly easy to dodge

boomerangs slower (again easy to dodge)

bombs are ok, better coverage, less power

I personally like to rack the % high then use projectiles closer up till i make a opening or he uses them and makes one for me
It's true that TL's projectiles travel slower in the air, but they are more spammable. What I mean is, the lag that TL has in between mashing the B button for arrows is much less than Link. Boomerangs are just thrown for annoyance, and can hit you on the way back. Plus, TL takes out his bombs way faster than Link does.

So, all in all, even though Link's look stronger because they move in the air faster, TL's projectiles are more spammable.

lol thats what i have been asking the whole time Mr. I asked how to approach T.Link that automatically means your gonna have a wall of projectiles flying at you. lol

Never changed my question just want more of an answer veriety.
If there wasnt I wanted to be be told that there wasn't but from looking at these last few post i can tell that there is not any other approach options other than out spam him or just run up and shield and dodge your way through ( if you can).

But yes thanx Links for your nice corpooration I'll take advice until tommorrow then I think i should be done.
Lets just wait and see...
Yeah, sorry but there's really not much you can do. My only other advice is not to let it even start. Straight from the beginning of the match, put the pressure on him with close range combat. Stay right up in his face, don't allow him to use projectiles at all.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
hmmm.... nice thoughts thank you sasook for giving me that information.

Maybe one of you could find out if nair cancels his rang and arrows and tell me( I'm to lazeh to test it xP)
I'm still gonna let this build up till tomorrow if you all can find anything else approaching wise then be sure to post it please.

So continue discussing away! lol

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
It's true that TL's projectiles travel slower in the air, but they are more spammable. What I mean is, the lag that TL has in between mashing the B button for arrows is much less than Link. Boomerangs are just thrown for annoyance, and can hit you on the way back. Plus, TL takes out his bombs way faster than Link does.

So, all in all, even though Link's look stronger because they move in the air faster, TL's projectiles are more spammable.

Yeah, sorry but there's really not much you can do. My only other advice is not to let it even start. Straight from the beginning of the match, put the pressure on him with close range combat. Stay right up in his face, don't allow him to use projectiles at all.
tushay, while you can easily stay out of the arrow and boomerangs way the bombs are a priority for Link and TL

sasook

Smash Champion
tushay, while you can easily stay out of the arrow and boomerangs way the bombs are a priority for Link and TL
Well, imagine a TL standing in place, fires two arrows, short hops, fires two more, lands, fires two more, you get the picture. Now imagine that every so often, he throws a bomb while doing that. Also every so often, he throws a boomerang while doing that. This is the wall I was referring to.

And I believe you mean touche, lol

P.S. - don't reply saying "yeah well I would dodge the first two arrows since they are slow, then attack" or something like that. His arrows come out too quick for you to do that. Remember, coming out fast is not the same as traveling fast. They may move slow in the air, but they come out like 1,2,3.

@Agent Snop - his nair can cancel Snake's upsmash, but that's all I know of.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Links chance of winning if he approaches = 0

Link does not have an approach. His best chance is to either.

A. Create an opening with projectiles.
B. Semi approach TL and attempt to out range him.

4Serial

Smash Lord
I know Link's z-air can kill TL's boomerang, but arrows come out too fast and too much, and bombs will still hit you.
Not sure about Link's n-air though.. If TL starts spamming arrows, stop playing on FD, go on Battlefield or Smashville, and when he tries again, **** him with bomb combos.

Toon Link has a much better long range game and probably close range game because of his speed, but he has a somewhat weak mid-range game, where he can't spam, or space. This is where Link excels at. This is where you want to be.

D

Deleted member

-catch the bombs
-shad the arrows
-fair the rang

[insert TL **** here]

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
It's safe to say that Link has a horrible approach hands down. So your best bet is to out do him with projectiles. But since T.Link's are faster (to take out and use) and much more spammable than Link's own. If you have no choice but to approach the little green ****** a good zair projectile approach is good...but then again T.Link can defensively use his projectiles esp his stupid boomerang.
Hard matchup...
I would go with a go projectile defense, but if you're the one approaching...you would have to try your best to cancel his projectiles or dodge them etc. Coz once you got him in your sword range then you're open to so many chances
Hope that helps

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
...Do you guys think we fed the TL main enough false info? O_o
Our Linkish plans of world domination can't afford to be stopped yet...

JK iRjOn. We're being honest... maybe.

Top Bottom