• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach Questions

kevlar

Smash Cadet
I can sort of waveshine( I cant chain more than four without accidentally jumping), I can SHL, (but not SHDL), multishine, and all that other stuff, so overall my tech skill is just OK. But I have a hard time approaching and forcing my opponent to. Should I really just approach with drill or nair, or is there more? Also if I'm right, making opponent approach= camping right? Lasers just don't seem to do it right, and who gives a crap if I just dashdance in one spot, dash animation (unfortunately) doesn't cause damage. What should I do?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
use moves that beat their moves. for example, fox's bair beats almost everything falcon has in terms of speed and ties or beats everything in priority. After you laser, expect them to run in and stuff their approach with a bair. You can do similar things to grab and dash attack approaches, but using dair. People will start to learn so you'll have to sometimes attack forward, which can simply be another bait. Just don't over commit, really :/

GOD!

Smash Ace
use moves that beat their moves. for example, fox's bair beats almost everything falcon has in terms of speed and ties or beats everything in priority. After you laser, expect them to run in and stuff their approach with a bair. You can do similar things to grab and dash attack approaches, but using dair. People will start to learn so you'll have to sometimes attack forward, which can simply be another bait. Just don't over commit, really :/
Lol, after you bair them one time, they run in dash dance back. You bair, they wait for you to land, grab, half a stock.

Don't limit yourself to one extremely easily countered strategy. I think that's good advice.

GOD!

Smash Ace
GOD! thats when you do the laser empty sh waveland backward utilt
lolz theorycraft

vids or it didn't happen. And relying on utilt to stop approach. gl.

They just dash dance back again and knee you then

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
they can't dash dance back again, i just approached to punish the dd. they would have to have shielded or jumped or i guess fox trotted away instead of dash dancing or something.

anyways, the falcon matchup is so fun and easy its not even funny

edit- until u get hit loool

GOD!

Smash Ace
Yeah I kind kind of hate the falcon match up. I guess I don't understand it that well.

I try to get them in their shield but.. he won't stop dashdancing.

I need to watch more lunin. He plays it so good and smart.

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
who needs approach when you can laser and rack up damage from far away? but, in all seriousness, bair has high priority, and nair hitbox is out very long (altough having it out for a second will be very predictable). but shffl airs are pretty much my choice for a good approach excluding fair and uair.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i find falcon's dash dance scary, but when you realize how slow his non-grab options are its not too scary to just get right on top of him as long as you space right/dont get grabbed. of course falcon has a lot of fast keep-away options so it can get difficult to get in if falcon plays smartly. Its really fun to play against falcon when you can keep up in terms of running speed, though :)

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
falcon combos are too good, and his combo finisher, the knee, is among the best moves in the game. but about approaching HIM, as always, dont be predictable. like i said, too good combos. he will likley shield grab shffl nairs if he knows your approach, so mix it up a little. you short hop, he will shield grab, instead of nairing, move back wile still in the air just enough so his grab wont catch you, then grab him.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
this game becomes 100% easier when you learn the match-ups instead of having to learn how each player plays from scratch each set.

kevlar

Smash Cadet
so basically, just nair and bair, and don't be a ****** and I'm fine, right?

Btw: I would learn the matchups, but the 5 people in the world worse than me seemed to have gathered in my neighborhood.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah its natural to have low competition in a small zone. I live in one of the best parts of the Midwest for melee, but I still have to drive at least 30 minutes to an hour or more to play anyone on my skill level.

Where are you from? I'm sure you can find people to play with if you check the regional zones.

kevlar

Smash Cadet
I'm in Cleveland OH, but the problem is that my dad doesn't want to drive for too long just for smash, especially just for friendlies.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
talk to bigd, he is really good and from OH (not sure what part though). he always johns about OH not having any players, so im sure he would be happy to see a new face.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
cleveland is as close to cincinnati as cincinnati is to chicago

aka 5 hours

talk to kittymw

Top Bottom