• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Applications of the Footstool Jump

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
So I was playing against a friend earlier today, long story short he uses Bowser and is decent. We start a match on Final Destination, he tries to block my approach with a Flamethrower or Fire Breath, whatever it's called. He stops it and at that point I hit him with a Back Aerial. This is where it gets interesting. After the Bair, I jump on him, footstool him then immediately (As soon as possible) Dair (That trips him) and proceed to do some Jabs and cancels. The end result is about 50%.

Now, obviously, what I listed is probably not a true combo. Nevertheless, I feel that we should make a conscious effort to integrate the footstool into our games and possibly find out what we can do from a footstool, aerial or grounded.

So far the easiest ways I see to land a footstool are:

Nair to Jump
Bair to Jump
Empty Jump
Jab Cancel to Jump
Up/Down Throw, read DI, jump.

As I said, this is probably not guaranteed. If it is: Great. If not, we should probably keep it in mind for the possibility to do things like rack up an easy 50% on the larger characters. If possible, we should see how much of a frame advantage we get from any of this first, then proceed to theorycraft.

Opinions/Contributions?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Bair at what percent? Even at like 13 they start flying back so quickly that I can't see a practical application out of bair. Nair at low-mid percents I suppose, but you're better off following up with jabs upon connection in front, if you do it facing away I can see the footstool -> dair being a decent follow up, though following up after that is pretty much touch and go.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Bair at what percent? Even at like 13 they start flying back so quickly that I can't see a practical application out of bair. Nair at low-mid percents I suppose, but you're better off following up with jabs upon connection in front, if you do it facing away I can see the footstool -> dair being a decent follow up, though following up after that is pretty much touch and go.
This was the first attack that was landed, so it hit at 0%. Not particularly useful application-wise, I know.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this all works. I have around 100 general brawl replays as of now where I have used this jump, and through all of my matches I have found that MY (Yes, it might be different for one of you) footstools either involve a N-Air to Jump or B-Throw to Jump, oddly. I also find following through with N-Air is more likely to hit someone. In about 20 of the matches where I footstooled multiple times, I found that I could catch some of my friends by following through with a U-Air. This works, and works well.

Top Bottom