• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apocalypses Tournament September 19th 2009 - EDMONTON AB, CANADA -

Vitality

Smash Ace
Gas is about like...81sh cents in Edmonton?
Safeway gives you like a dollar back for i dunno, 40 dollars of gas? lol. Could buy you that pop that hypes you to victory :p

Venue can't be north. Its more like center of edmonton : / (=30 min drive from Fort).

Anyways goin for doubles with Solar-boy. MIGHT hit up singles if im feelin confident that day (yes luke im lookin at you for smashes). Afterall I don't own a wii.

EDIT: Confirming im bringing a gamecube for melee (lulz)

EDIT2: nvm the gamecube. Not going to bring that trash game to this.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Oh, I understood that doubles ended up being $10 per person. <_<;

I'll be teaming with Rob. I think it's obvious that I'm not expecting too much from doubles now. ;P

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It just takes some of the seriousness out of the doubles tournament. The prize money will be like maybe 60 bucks each for 1st place team.

Frio

Smash Champion
Every melee toury I went I payed 10 bucks and lost it >_> And it's only 5 more bucks. 5 bucks each isn't much but when it all comes together it's a bigger pot and bigger hype.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I seriusly don't see a problem with it being $5 I mean if its just warm ups and free money what does it matter?

Plus the starter part for singles is $200. idk i think thats worth it...

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yeah 200 starter pot is cool, but honestly who can't afford 5 bucks? Honestly I can find that on the ground in change every day. It's just that every tournament hosted here has been 10 dollar entry fee, so this feels kind of weird. And I honestly don't think anyone really cares too much about the 5 bucks except Jim, but I know he's half kidding cause he's literally loaded.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Yeah 200 starter pot is cool, but honestly who can't afford 5 bucks? Honestly I can find that on the ground in change every day. It's just that every tournament hosted here has been 10 dollar entry fee, so this feels kind of weird. And I honestly don't think anyone really cares too much about the 5 bucks except Jim, but I know he's half kidding cause he's literally loaded.
its only $5 for each person for teams. Singles are still $10

oh and there is a stupid site fee that even I HAVE TO PAY which is 1 buck. I hope this doesn't deter anyone from coming

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
$10 per team member please... anything lower makes doubles a joke... you can't really have half the tournament be a joke...

Vitality

Smash Ace
but, its already so expensive at $25 Q_Q

Btw TO shouldn't be giving in so easily to pressure. Just put your foot down and tell everyone to stfu.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
$10 per team member please... anything lower makes doubles a joke... you can't really have half the tournament be a joke...
I'm going to have to agree with this. Standard pricing for a tournament this size should be between $10-15 per person, per event. $5 is something you would charge at a small smashfest with 10-15 people or something.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
but, its already so expensive at $25 Q_Q

Btw TO shouldn't be giving in so easily to pressure. Just put your foot down and tell everyone to stfu.
I don't feel pressured at all. I just dont care what the entri is. if every tournament on the planet is 10 bucks per member for teams then so be it

I'm going to have to agree with this. Standard pricing for a tournament this size should be between $10-15 per person, per event. $5 is something you would charge at a small smashfest with 10-15 people or something.

i seriously hope this implies tere will be 30+ people coming

Blitzmidfielder

Smash Journeyman
I am but the humblest son of a shepherd and a gravedigger.

Now not only am I not entering doubles because I don't feel like it, but because I don't want to spend that kind of money.

5 dollars is a lot of money.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Llumys, I am pretty sure you could get a partner if you asked around. In other news, not being able to afford 5 bucks is not only total lols, but is probably a lie. In other words, stop being a plug.

Vitality

Smash Ace
Was posting for the lulz. too bad nobody will see it. Was feeling cheap and since Luke was gettin styled by Murdamoe decided to join in the fun.

T-block

B2B TST
personally, i'm fine with $5... my chances of taking money in doubles are quite low, so why wouldn't i be? it's the idea that with OoP coming, this is no longer just one of those small local tournaments, so we should be doing it properly. $10 is standard for a reason. it's shiro's first time hosting smash, and it's shaping up to be a good one, so why not do it right?

as for TO's giving in to pressure...that's definitely what they should be doing, although there's less of a negative connotation if you say "listen to your players", because that's what it is. look at the regional zones and see pit322 or w/e post about his melee tournament in calgary. if he had stubbornly stuck with what he had in mind originally, there probably wouldn't have been a whole lot of people going.

Blitzmidfielder

Smash Journeyman
Llumys, I am pretty sure you could get a partner if you asked around. In other news, not being able to afford 5 bucks is not only total lols, but is probably a lie. In other words, stop being a plug.
I'm able to afford 5. 10 is too much for me to want to care. It's a decision to minimize the money I spend during a recreational event. Get me now?

Llumys

Smash Champion
Sorry, I don't team with people I don't know. I don't find doubles fun if I don't know my partner's habits. It's all about the teamwork, and I don't think good teamwork can be attained well by two strangers unless they're both quite skilled and good at doubles.

Also, $5 can make quite a difference when short on money. You've been living a nice sheltered life, apparently.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Sorry, I don't team with people I don't know. I don't find doubles fun if I don't know my partner's habits. It's all about the teamwork, and I don't think good teamwork can be attained well by two strangers unless they're both quite skilled and good at doubles.
agreed

Also, $5 can make quite a difference when short on money. You've been living a nice sheltered life, apparently.
How 'sheltered' can you be for $5 to make such a difference when you're spending enough money on gas and other costs to drive from one province to another for a gaming tournament? I mean, usually TOs bump up the money for oop players that are coming to tournaments for that reason. Didn't you have a job?

Llumys

Smash Champion
Paying money for entertainment and being tight on money can go hand-in-hand. Just because you have enough money to do what you want, doesn't make not wanting to spend an extra $5 laughable. It's not like everyone can just throw their money here and there.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I would agree if $5 was spent in multiple occasions so that it would add up, but this is just a one-time thing. That extra $5 doesn't really affect the decisions any TO would choose for any future tournaments.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Definitely. I was just offended that Luke was mocking people who don't want to spend an extra $5. :\ I don't think anyone was trying to make it cheaper. I assume they were just explaining their situations.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Not mocking him. He even admitted the reason wasn't finances, it was just him thinking it wasn't worth it. I called him out for lying about it being too expensive for him and I was right.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
lol...well it kinda depends on who you're asking. For people who know they'll get top 3 in teams (not going to name any people...), they obviously want it more, and the others generally want it less. So I just tried giving a little suggestion since I won't be attending this anyway and it won't hurt my wallet in any way.

Top Bottom