• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Surpasses Apex 2014 In Melee Entrants

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer

Apex 2015 just keeps on getting bigger. It has just been confirmed that Apex 2015 has now surpassed Apex 2014 for the number of Super Smash Bros Melee singles entrants! Apex 2014 capped off 628 entrants, whereas Apex 2015 is currently sitting above 630 with registration still going. That's a lot of Smashers.

Below is the tweet from SR | Tom that confirmed these numbers.

Apex 2015 will be kicking off on January 30th. Melee isn't the only Smash game there, though. Apex 2015 will have Smash 64, Melee, Brawl and Smash Wii U along with other games all available for tournament play. Speaking of Super Smash Bros for Wii U, that game has now passed Brawl's all time entrants record of 400 from Apex 2012 with 406 Smash Wii U entrants at Apex 2015 and counting. Brawl currently has over 70 entrants for Apex 2015 and the original Smash Bros 64 has around 110.

Check out the official Apex series website for more details on the games and registration.

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and is super hyped for Apex 2015. Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Proud to be a smasher that's part of that number :D

Last edited:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Great to see competitive Melee continuing to thrive with no signs of stopping anytime soon.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
hmm i guess alot of Pm player moving on to melee?
Cant wait to watch the brawl brackets.
hype levels.

42rockjock

Smash Cadet
this is probably due to the fact that there is no pm but its nice to see pm players supporting and playing melee still. competitive melee isn't dying anytime soon

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Not sure what people mean by "this is due to no PM" you realize the presence of PM boosts Melee's numbers, right? If Apex featured it at this tourney, Melee would have 800 entrants by now, not just 600.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I find it kind of pitiful that Brawl has only 70 entrants. Then again, it's the least competitive of all the SSB games.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
It's good to hear that more people are going to partecipate but you know there isn't PM and that's sad but at least there is some good news, It's only a bad period

d-man2292

Smash Apprentice
NNID
d-man2292
glad to see melee is still going strong, even though i play PM more i still consider melee the true classic that started it all

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
*Melee* is getting bigger.

I wonder how long it will be before Nintendo releases Melee on VC for Wii U? We've already got Gamecube support for it.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Been counting down the days since last year! Can't wait! Eat, Sleep, SMASH, Repeat

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Not sure what people mean by "this is due to no PM" you realize the presence of PM boosts Melee's numbers, right? If Apex featured it at this tourney, Melee would have 800 entrants by now, not just 600.
Probably boosts its numbers because people can feel less intimidated with more events.

HiroProtagonist

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand how people think that not running a game based on Melee physics and that has a heavily overlapping playerbase could possibly help Melee registration numbers. Running Project M would have given PM fans a greater reason to attend and likely would have resulted in many people coming and entering Melee when they wouldn't have otherwise.

Chrishare1

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chrishare2
3DS FC
4296-3188-3029
apex is gonna be hype all 4 games in the series are here and ready to bring the HYPE

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
My question is, why don't they just get rid of brawl entirely and have Project M? It's more profitable, and an actual hard copy of the game is required, so it's not like it's not supporting Nintendo or anything...

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Man, I can't wait for the Brawl tournament! What's this? A :metaknight: ditto, with a hint of tripping!? My favorite! :troll:
Don't take this seriously, I'm just kidding.

Wooggle

Smash Apprentice
You know there's a problem with Brawl when even the first game in the series surpasses it in number of entrants...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
My question is, why don't they just get rid of brawl entirely and have Project M? It's more profitable, and an actual hard copy of the game is required, so it's not like it's not supporting Nintendo or anything...
It's not an official game, it's a mod.

A Nintendo no no. Has nothing to do with entrances and everything to do with where the origin of each game is.

Morbi

Scavenger
It is great that the number was surpassed, but, two additional entrants is not the necessarily news-breaking. As others have mentioned, the two additional players were probably PM players. :awesome:

FoxMcClown

Smash Rookie
Im not sure why brawl is on there. Lets be real, Smash 4 is what brawl should have been. The 70 entrance, just shows that the community of that game moved on + some more. Im not talking for project M or anything, it just feels like theres 3 very different smash, did not need the 4th with such a low entrance. Its never bad to focus your efforts a little more.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Holy ****. Look at those Brawl numbers. That's sad.

D

Deleted member

Wish I could have gone to Apex, but I don't think I'm good enough, nor do I have the money...

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
It's hilarious to think that some people actually thought Brawl was better than Melee.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
*Melee* is getting bigger.

I wonder how long it will be before Nintendo releases Melee on VC for Wii U? We've already got Gamecube support for it.
Wouldn't it be funny if nintendo made a remastered melee hd editon on the wii u and patched out wavedashing, dash dancing, and l canceling just for the lols

-AngelGamah-

Smash Rookie
NNID
AngelGamah
3DS FC
2638-2062-1516
*sigh* at least I can watch it on some sort of network! Idk yet. Lol...

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
It's hilarious to think that some people actually thought Brawl was better than Melee.
How? While Melee was superior gameplay wise, Brawl had far better content. I actually prefer Brawl over Melee for this reason. However, I prefer Project M over Brawl.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Do you have a Wii U? You should know, the VC on the system only has NES, SNES, Game Boy, and GBA games.
So far. There's been rumors lately that the Wii U can emulate GameCube at full clock, and the specs allow for it easily. Also, Japan already has Brain Age on the DS on the Virtual Console. It's a matter of time before the DS and GCN come to the VC.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Wouldn't it be funny if nintendo made a remastered melee hd editon on the wii u and patched out wavedashing, dash dancing, and l canceling just for the lols
I could see that happening, oddly enough. If it did we would essentially have a new Smash game, since there would be a new engine.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
How? While Melee was superior gameplay wise, Brawl had far better content. I actually prefer Brawl over Melee for this reason. However, I prefer Project M over Brawl.
Brawl had better content? Or more content?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Brawl had better content? Or more content?
Both. The subspace emissary was far better than the adventure mode in Melee. Better challenges, better soundtrack, better visuals, larger roster, inclusion of 3rd Party characters, and an amazing trophy selection. I do however prefer Melee's physics though, which is why I love PM. It takes the best of both games and combines them while also revamping the character so that they are all viable. I was very disappointed when PM was cut from Apex.

Here my full list of favorite Smash Bros. games:

1: SSBB
2: SSB 3DS
3: SSBM
4: SSB Wii U

5: SSB64

With the exception of SSB64, this list is very close because each game has something that it excels at. SSBM is physics, SSB Wii U is online, SSB 3DS is portability and 3D, and SSBB is content.

However if you replace SSBB with PM:

1: PM

2: SSB 3DS
3: SSB Wii U
4: SSBM

5: SSB64

While SSBM, SSB 3DS, and SSB Wii U are still close, PM is by far my favorite Smash game since it excels in all the areas of the series, while pervious games only excelled at one.

Top Bottom