• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Hype! Jan 30-Feb 1 Results, brackets and videos are up!

Olikus

Smash Champion
go back aon your browser nad then do it again.

or use another browser
Yo boss.

You need to tell your websitedeveloper that they fix the register memebers site, so you can sort the attendees by the games they have entered. Just like previous years. We're allready past mid december, so this should be done pretty quickly. Its really annoying to dont have a clear and easy view of who and how many that are entering your game.

Thanks.

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Just registered and booked my flight. Signed up for doubles on Friday but won't actually be able to make it by then so if anyone wants a free doubles entry feel free to take mine.

Believe Jimmyjoe and I are set to commentate grand finals, so wanted to ask for any suggestions/criticism in advance. Thought the vibe worked well last year but will take any advice to heart.

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Just registered and booked my flight. Signed up for doubles on Friday but won't actually be able to make it by then so if anyone wants a free doubles entry feel free to take mine.

Believe Jimmyjoe and I are set to commentate grand finals, so wanted to ask for any suggestions/criticism in advance. Thought the vibe worked well last year but will take any advice to heart.
Bring the hype.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
do your homework on the players for the deadspace in between matches (potential tourney records, for instance)

Sedda

Smash Champion
yeah sometimes a minute goes by and two stocks are gone before commentators go back to the actual match at hand.

play by play, bring the hype if possible. to both of you, don't be afraid to cut each other off if either is going on a long tangent. whatever your tangent is about, it's not more important than the match

Last edited:

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
@ Sedda Sedda @ SuPeRbOoM SuPeRbOoM

I think you guys are right that the match is definitely the most important thing, but the audience is probably, for the majority, not even primarily 64 players, so part of what commentary does is help them to understand what they're seeing; this leads to explanations/tangents. Any sport with commentary will have some degree of this, and sometimes in mid to lower level matches, or complete blowouts(4 or 5 stockings) it's more beneficial than calling the match strictly play-by-play. We can all see what they're doing after all, this isn't radio. That isn't to say it's ever okay to ignore the match, but I hope you get what I'm saying.
Interrupting, unless done in a tactful or transitional way, just isn't good, and sounds unprofessional, so I must say I disagree with you there, Sedda.

But I definitely get your concerns, and I think in general, but especially on the higher level matches( top 8 for example), we will try to keep the focus on the action at hand and omit lengthy explanations.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea tangents are the most killer thing for commentary. most negative comments I see on the 64 videos about commentary is stuff like "wow commentators pretended like that awesome moment at xx:XX didn't even happen fail". hype for great plays is more important than explaining a technique or player background in match. do those things in between matches. commentary works best if one guy is color commentary during down times and another guy is play by play with full authority to cut off filler

Last edited:

Beesy

Smash Apprentice
JimmyJoe, I've definitely got nothing against tangents. I only think "tangents" are annoying when it's ignoring a great play. After religiously following Tasteless's(starcraft) commentary for years, I'm a big fan of filler dialogue. Part of the enjoyment of the stream is watching the commentators have a great time at the tournament. Further, sometimes it's too awkward to commentate every move of a one-sided match, especially in lower rounds. You're also on point to mention the non-64 folk who need lots of explanation. I always like to hear about the back grounds, histories, controversies, funny inside stories, and everything else that commentators provide, which is a great addition to watching a game. Tasteless(perhaps the most experienced e-commentator in the world) does this all the time, and it's always fun. You do a good job of keeping things fun, interesting, and informed-KEEP IT UP.

tldr: I like filler and I like jimmyjoe.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
I love the idea of jj, bcow, greg. It would be the triumvirate of commentary.

Since I've recently been doing commentary for Xanadu I will provide some suggestions based off experience. Commentary is much harder than people think. You have to kind of put on a facade because you need to be excited and up beat even if you aren't. You need to be very clear and talk with a good place while planning out words to avoid umms and ughs and other filler sounds. Add the work and effort to knowing thousands of people are watching and listening to you and its harder than practicing at home by yourself on your computer. It is a lot of fun, I like it a lot, but it's easier to criticize than do and I know jj, bcow, and greg are doing the best they can and better than anyone else. I love the commentary and I look forward to it.

Also, esports commentary is different than sports commentary, I learned this while commentating. Play by play is much harder because it's constant plays and 5 minutes straight. In sports, there's timeouts frequently, there's 30 seconds in between each down, plays only last for a few seconds, so color commentary and tangents and analysis are much easier to do. In smash, you can't have perfect play by play with outstanding color commentary since the play by play never has a break. There's needs to be a balance which I don't think our commentators get enough credit for doing. Obviously there can be improvements but it's pretty good considering they're not getting paid a **** ton of money to do and practice all the time. It's great to hope they could be like Chris Webber, but to expect it is a little unrealistic.

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
I noticed apex 2014 had a lot of mistakes of which "player is which" and "who won that game?" Notably boom v meta and z v merihim. I don't know how close the stream table is to the console but maybe before each match they do a quick check as to who is on what controller port.

Regarding colour commentary: I love the stuff about player backgrounds and history. If you guys can quickly spout off where they're from and how they came to be good plus a fun fact about them, then that makes for some good hype before the match has even started.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Yo boss.

You need to tell your websitedeveloper that they fix the register memebers site, so you can sort the attendees by the games they have entered. Just like previous years. We're allready past mid december, so this should be done pretty quickly. Its really annoying to dont have a clear and easy view of who and how many that are entering your game.

Thanks.
to find out how many once you go into the dashboard where you register it tells you how many entered each game

Annex

Smash Ace
"What stage do you think he'll take him to?" seems like it would lead to interesting discussion but it usually doesn't

That's a complaint though so I should remind jj Greg and battlecattle that they're eternal champs

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
there's usually not even enough time to get an interesting discussion there cuz the counterpick and stage selection is pretty fast

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
As a general rule of thumb for hype commentary, don't ask questions. Questions require answers and answers can lead to a discussion. If someone asks you a question mid-match, then answer it concisely. Only ask questions or give explanations if the average, non-informed viewership might have those questions. <-sounds vague, I know

MCG

Smash Apprentice
I would only say this : if you want to get into technical details/frame data when commentating, get it right. If you are not sure about the exact mechanics, just don't mention it.

It's my biggest pet peeve, otherwise I like the commentary.

Maliki

Smash Ace
Yooo whats up

Just wandering last year we had a couple of donation threads to get players to apex. Ex. ) captain tavo

Whats up with that are we not trying to donate for a player this year?

I feel it is way to late to even start donating or begin this type of thing anyway.. Just was curious

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Is there anyone that will be in NYC that would be able to give me a ride down to the venue on Saturday morning? Let me know - thanks!

juddy96

Smash Lord
Current entrants for Smash 64 @ Apex (67 entrants)

New York: TMJ Lewith, STB | HectoHertz, Horbie, Blackjack, Andrewajt62, Face, Catastrophe, sunnyb, Koroshiyo | Czar
New Jersey: MGFC Chain-Ace, Zenith|KoRo?, Kabal, weedwack, TMJ Pachter, DFX, Bird↑, Justice For Persona
California: Kyle Tree, Connor Asada, Yoshiller, Tmakk, SotoH, Madrush21, LAS Wookiee
Illinois: Annex, KnitePhox, Cosmo, Smallsquatch, battlecow, Combo Blaze
Pennsylvania: Apparition, Pluid, Filet, Napkins, THE_MAAFIA, Spikytorn
Canada: JMF pidgezero_one, Nikademiks, BunMe, NugS, Fine Yoshi Pie
Brazil: Dindro, Aisengobay, Banze, CabeLo
Virginia: MOR | ChuDat, clubbadubba, Launchy, CheezyPhil
Maryland: Shears, Bark Sanchez, DarkHorse
Michigan: Andykins, Will, McBlunderson
Florida: MrMarbles, MattNF, greginator
North Carolina: lord narwhal, Dr. lampy
Massachusetts: Squible, Glory
Connecticut: Fireblaster
Tennessee: ArdentRage
Kentucky: Amida
Texas: bowl
Puerto Rico: ET | Tawkos
Mexico: JaimeHR

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
we're not looking that bad actually

you figure...

confirmed basically but haven't registered:
kero, stranded, maliki, skyfire, firo, jimmyjoe, killer, me, ybomb, vwls, snorlax, near, tacos, boom, smash jesus, sedda,
mariguas, olikus, revan, jam, bloodpeach, tom bombadil, nintendude, hipstur, z,

not confirmed/uncertain/maybe:
sk, karajan, sensei, jel, nj locals, ny locals, jnatty, yobo, asylum, scobros, sheer, tank, yunque, smokey, breakthrough, vice, roman, umbra, LD, zedz, solo

if everyone on confirmed goes that's 91 people

juddy96

Smash Lord
we're not looking that bad actually

you figure...

confirmed basically but haven't registered:
kero, stranded, maliki, skyfire, firo, jimmyjoe, killer, me, ybomb, vwls, snorlax, near, tacos, boom, smash jesus, sedda,
mariguas, olikus, revan, jam, bloodpeach, tom bombadil, nintendude, hipstur, z,

not confirmed/uncertain/maybe:
sk, karajan, sensei, jel, nj locals, ny locals, jnatty, yobo, asylum, scobros, sheer, tank, yunque, smokey, breakthrough, vice, roman, umbra, LD, zedz, solo

if everyone on confirmed goes that's 91 people
The Chilean guy, Shalaka hasn't regged yet either.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
smashboards.com/threads/smash-class-of-64-shirt-supportnear-4-days-left.384009/ and if half of the guys registering buys this shirt, Near will go also.

Why not?

juddy96

Smash Lord
67 now. Fine Yoshi Pie, a Canadian speedrunner is the latest entrant. That would be the 2nd speedrunner signed up for 64 so far. Also, the 2nd entrant with Yoshi in the tag, the other being popular Youtuber, Yoshiller.

Edit: 68 now, a random from Virginia, CheezyPhil.

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
Wait hold that count team I'm having strange premonitions of a person registering
...a "vornhub", or no, "vube8"
...or maybe "votherless"
...yes...and they talk mad **** and main the worst character in the game it's all so vivid

juddy96

Smash Lord
Two more have now regged, Monkey (Florida), and Toronto's finest, YBOMBB. Up to 70.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
I paid a a week ago or so. Can't figure out what's wrong. They sent me an email to click on a link to confirm registration but there is no link in the email. Anyone else have a problem like this?

Top Bottom