• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Becomes Largest Melee Event Of All Time, Approaching 1024 Cap

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
the only thing that could make APEX MORE HYPE is if Nintendo shows off a Mewtwo trailer OR a brand new character trailer....drooool

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Soo many new Challenger are aproaching.

Yet people still complain that Smash is not a real fighting game, Apex is Dominated by Smash bros. Only Street fighters is the only and always be everyone favorite Fighting game but Smash bros. is getting so much love, I soo proud of it.

Project M is gone is OK for me but Nintendo Sponsoring Apex is beyond Godly move for Nintendo.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
Hoping a balanced character usage for Smash4. Currently, there are too many Diddy's and Shieks. ugh.

Wooggle

Smash Apprentice
"We would like to announce Melee HD, wavedashing, L cancelling, Battlefield and Fox has been removed. Please understand."
"Items have been turned on permanently, stock battles have been removed, and 4 player free for all is the only mode available. Please understand."

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
"We would like to announce Melee HD, wavedashing, L cancelling, Battlefield and Fox has been removed. Please understand."
Maybe use PAL Fox in there and then buff the non-top tiers for a bit.
Then get Brawl and Smash4 characters in the mix - using Melee engine.
Then remove all stage hazards, remove all items.
Call it Smash FG.
Then we'll topple SF as the top FG. Weeeeeeeee.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
"Items have been turned on permanently, stock battles have been removed, and 4 player free for all is the only mode available. Please understand."
"Coin battles have been put on as the default mode for gameplay, and we removed Marth's tipper to make the character more user friendly. We would also like to announce Goomba from adventure mode as a playable character. Please understand."
Maybe use PAL Fox in there and then buff the non-top tiers for a bit.
Then get Brawl and Smash4 characters in the mix - using Melee engine.
Then remove all stage hazards, remove all items.
Call it Smash FG.
Then we'll topple SF as the top FG. Weeeeeeeee.
This is actually a pretty sweet idea, but I'd avoid too many balances, PAL Fox being the only one that I think would be necessary. With only slight buffs to low tier characters, then they wait for player feedback.

When it comes to playable characters, I think they should be very careful with who they choose, I think Meta Knight and Ike would fit the scene extremely well, as well as Lucas and Wolf so there's a reason to get both Sm4sh and Smash FG. Slow paced characters and campy characters should be avoided, and the fast paced and combo heavy characters should be cherry picked from Sm4sh's roster.

Last edited:

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
This is actually a pretty sweet idea, but I'd avoid too many balances, PAL Fox being the only one that I think would be necessary. With only slight buffs to low tier characters, then they wait for player feedback.

When it comes to playable characters, I think they should be very careful with who they choose, I think Meta Knight and Ike would fit the scene extremely well, as well as Lucas and Wolf so there's a reason to get both Sm4sh and Smash FG. Slow paced characters and campy characters should be avoided, and the fast paced and combo heavy characters should be cherry picked from Sm4sh's roster.
I think you're right. We don't need a lot of balance changes. a just little buff to the low tiered chars to be viable, and PAL Fox. When it comes with characters, I don't think anything's going to be too disruptive. as long as it is using Melee's engine, then I think it'll be ok.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
There is no point to a "Melee HD." We just got a new Smash game, and Melee HD would add nothing to the franchise except just a remake. It would take lots of hard work for nothing, seeing as people will still be upset for the choices the developers make to polish the game.
Plus, why would Sakurai do this at all? He said focusing only on competitive would make the series have no future, so really, it'd be a big loss for Nintendo.
Why ask for a new game that's Melee, when you already have Melee?
(Online is the only reason. That's all I can think of, but you can just hit up your friends to play it with you.)
It's not gonna happen.
Finally, remember Project M? It's essentially MELEE, mechanics and all, even some old characters. Elitists still hate it, for absolutely no reason at all.
Funny you say elitists hate it, because almost everything melee players didn't like about PM was fixed in 3.5. Its almost like the PM backroom listened to the criticism and worked to improve the game. Oh yeah they did. Not everyone who criticizes something is an elitist.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Congrats to everybody that has registered for Apex 2015!

It'll be even crazier to see Apex 2016 try to top it all off again.

Zurf

Smash Cadet
Imagine the hype when Project M is randomly announced tomorrow...:troll:

In all seriousness this tournament is gonna be great,

even if I still am a little salty:salt:.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Melee hit its cap! Congrats to the melee community on the biggest smash tourney ever and good luck to the other smash games.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Im glad to hear how good this thing is going. My assumption is that there hasnt been any news regarding PM being able to be apart of apex since we heard it was cut. If Im wrong someone please correct me because id love to know.

On a somewhat similar note; considering the thoughts game theory had about Sakurai which may not be true but if it is then I have a thought. If Sakurai wants to pass the smash bros torch onto someone else then why not have the PM dev team hired by nintendo to continue the smash bros legacy. Its clear that the dev team is dedicated to making it a great game (though im not sure if they want all the work that comes with working at nintendo). If that happened then PM could be more easily accepted by nintendo as well or possibly nintendo could take on the PM dev team as well as PM itself which would make it cost money, unfortuneately. (I know that many people would be unhappy with PM costing money but it would also give PM a bigger chance at tournaments and I personally think the PM dev team deserves money for how much work and and thought went into that beautiful game.)

Just felt I should share that thought, maybe someone agrees with me and possibly (though doubtfully) a large amount of the community does and we could actually use that to make a bonding connection between the competitive community and nintendo so that we dont have as many issues in the future.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Im glad to hear how good this thing is going. My assumption is that there hasnt been any news regarding PM being able to be apart of apex since we heard it was cut. If Im wrong someone please correct me because id love to know.

On a somewhat similar note; considering the thoughts game theory had about Sakurai which may not be true but if it is then I have a thought. If Sakurai wants to pass the smash bros torch onto someone else then why not have the PM dev team hired by nintendo to continue the smash bros legacy. Its clear that the dev team is dedicated to making it a great game (though im not sure if they want all the work that comes with working at nintendo). If that happened then PM could be more easily accepted by nintendo as well or possibly nintendo could take on the PM dev team as well as PM itself which would make it cost money, unfortuneately. (I know that many people would be unhappy with PM costing money but it would also give PM a bigger chance at tournaments and I personally think the PM dev team deserves money for how much work and and thought went into that beautiful game.)

Just felt I should share that thought, maybe someone agrees with me and possibly (though doubtfully) a large amount of the community does and we could actually use that to make a bonding connection between the competitive community and nintendo so that we dont have as many issues in the future.
tl; dr :troll:

Seriously though, I did read it (because I got nothing to do at 1AM, apparently ^_^), and yeah, PM Dev Team taking the torch would be amazing.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
If Sakurai wants to pass the smash bros torch onto someone else then why not have the PM dev team hired by nintendo to continue the smash bros legacy.
Sounds like a surefire way of completely destroying a highly profitable franchise.

T0RN

I'm Torn
Hype is to come. This will be great, and I hope to see some great matches. Melee is the best smash game. Hope it never dies.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Why ask for a new game that's Melee, when you already have Melee?
(Online is the only reason. That's all I can think of, but you can just hit up your friends to play it with you.)
It's not gonna happen.
Finally, remember Project M? It's essentially MELEE, mechanics and all, even some old characters. Elitists still hate it, for absolutely no reason at all.
I generally agree that Melee is definitely doing well as it is. But a man can dream...

However, I know you said I can just hit up friends to play with me, but almost no one I know is actually willing to learn ATs with me. I definitely wouldn't underestimate the positive aspects of having a good online mode for Melee.
Chances are, it could end up causing the average skill level of players to rise up, which is a good thing right?

Also, I'd say Project M has surpassed its own vision of trying to re-create Melee (with Brawl characters included) and has essentially become its own game with the addition of move-set edits, many more match-ups a person would have to study about, along with the addition of newer ATs such as RAR, DACUS, etc.

My theory is that Melee Elitists just tend to dislike it because it isn't Melee. Their mindset is something like, "If it ain't Melee = Nope." They wouldn't be called Elitists otherwise.

Of course, there are other reasons such as not wanting to learn new match-ups, and the general controls feeling "different" somehow, especially if they're using the same main they had in Melee.

In the end, I feel like PM is probably closest to achieving a good balance among the roster. Along with SD Remix, which seriously could use more love.

Still waiting for that SD Remix and 20XX marriage to happen.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
SD Remix is underrated so much.

Melee has Wall grapple and light shielding. also, there is pride in playing a low tier.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
The thought of seeing SD Remix featured at Apex or any other major tournament makes me want to cry tears of joy.

Of course, the chances of that actually happening are...

Top Bottom