• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything you feel is over-hated about the game?

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Like for example, I feel that the PAC-LAND stage isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, it's a scrolling stage, and those usually aren't fun, but the music is great and unlike most people, I don't think the stage really looks bad.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I really don't think Fox's voice is that bad.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Marth as a whole in this game. Lots of people seem to be really upset about how he isn't Melee Marth, not realizing that they aren't playing Melee. If Marth was like he was in Melee here, that would be even stupider. He's fine the way he is..although, the nerf to shield breaker makes no sense at all.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
The 3 clones we got in this game are hated by somewhat unfair reasons.
:4drmario: has some potential. He's not nearly as good as the character he's cloned from, but he still has some interesting potential. Very fast and strong moves, good smashes and combos are present, here, so he's not entirely useless.
:4lucina:is my favourite character from this game, and sadly, she's the one I see the most hatred towards. Because, of course! I am me, I always have to like a new character in the game and then find out later that the new character I like so much is either massively unpopular or hated! People complain that she's a "worthless clone", and insult everything from her gameplay to her character itself, and people sometimes even call her nasty things out of... not much reason, really, I'll assume some people around these boards like to be nasty just because they can. No, I don't think that Lucina is better than Marth, nor that the Lucina in this game is in any way faithful to her depiction in Awakening, but she's not useless. People tend to severly underrate Lucina's power, some moves have somewhat large gaps between Marth's tippered KO% and Lucina's regular KO% (Marth's tippered Side Smash can kill almost 30% earlier than Lucina's, which can also kill almost 30% earlier than his non-tippered one), but some don't at all (Marth's tippered Shield Breaker on average kills only 17% earlier than Lucie's, while Lucie's sometimes kills over 30% earlier than his non-tippered one), so some moves are better depending on who you're using. You also really shouldn't automatically write her off because Marth might kill earlier once in a blue moon - Marth only kills earlier if you hit the tip, and to hit the tip, you need practice! The tip does nothing if you don't hit it, people have the tendency to forget that!
:4darkpit:I also see a lot of hate for this cute little dude, but mostly for how he plays and not what the character stands for, unlike Lucina. He's kind of the cloneliest of the clones, and some people really don't take clones too kindly, so he ends up being a big target for them. Also, people complain that a dark version of a character isn't an original concept. Which it isn't, yeah, but Dark Pit is a separate entity from Pit, so it's not like you can't like him. From a gameplay standpoint, I feel like nowadays he might be a straight but very slight upgrade from Pit. Pit's Side Tilt is better and he can edgeguard better with his arrows, but Dark Pit can get more damage with his arrows while still steering them at least very slightly, and his Side B is a much better and more consistent kill move nowadays, so I prefer playing as him.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I love corrin and people are just salty that wolf did not get in. I am enjoying this amount of salt though

Adamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
BackupAdamas
User was warned for this post
When people complain about :4link:"spam" when the true villain is :4villager:
Truer words have never been spoken.

Anyway, I think that Cloud is over hated; scrubs are just salty that they can't "play aggressively" without being punished.

Last edited by a moderator:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Overhated I honestly think couldn't be more synonymous today with :4feroy:.

I've come to see Roy as the character the Western fanbase of Smash think deserve to be acceptable target to show all of your true colors as you shower the guy in like loads and loads of hate, even if for exaggerated and bandwagoning reasons mostly based on memes and other overly generalizing stuff on internet, along with completely outdated and echo chamber-style view on him if you look at the fans in Japan.

It's kind of sad that Smash-fans pretty much ruined my hyping for him allowed "hype" due Western Smash-fandom throwing straight disdain and shade on him for his return, unlike every veteran or newcomer in SSB4 (aside from Dark Pit and possibly other clones, but these got warmed up upon over time). It's felt blatantly like I wasn't allowed to be happy about his return and he was the one sole true mistake Sakurai put to the game. He's also still portrayed as some iron buttmonkey with pathetic personality in most collective Smash-fanart (Combination of Katie's comics from Awkward Zombie + Western Fire Emblem-fanbase's opinions on Roy being worst lord stats/writing-wise.)

It's really down-putting when I see most other characters treated with some respect or even pity (especially clones when getting hate). Not to mention it's bound to create false, yet very realistic sense of me having objectively bad taste on characters because there's one sole opinion across a fandom because Smash-fandom constantly tries to appear being right or intelligent, which has me wonder am I allowed to like this character without being linked to a loathed, sore loser being brought back by true form of bias (perhaps more-so than Corrin due him being an unique character while Roy's just a semi-cloned Fire Marth at best). Also as of today his taken as not having much activity in the playerbase and being a mystery in means of potential, which I kind of attribute on his unpopularity in general.

Even worse being that I can't really talk about Roy's strong points in the grounds I visit at internet because the opinions/"facts" on him have been set in stone and in overall sense (thanks to SereneForest/ FE Reddit) he's objectively terrible character in both his own game and Melee (tier list) and deserves all the portrayal as a Daffy Duck-esque hot-headed loser archetype with overzealous hunger for attention/fame:

It's even more surprising how just accepted and set in stone this whole hate and disdain is when the Japanese fanbase acts just complete opposite, with plenty tributing and celebratory pics for our boy while being pretty regular in it's growth and activity:

I personally feel it's because whether or not he's perceived as bad in his own game or "bland", he's still liked in his Smash-incarnations or maybe a mix of both. In general, I feel that this is like the alternative reality where the things in Western Smash/FE-fanbase and the buttmonkey humor didn't come to grow in popularity for this character due such elitist and commonly bandwagony opinions.

So I personally has this feeling that I think people in Western fanbase has gone too far trying to factually put down Roy to the chagrin and dismay of his Western fans - especially because if trying to contest the "humble tastes" of the Japanese fanbase when bringing up how they don't mind Roy (or compare him to more popular Lords), they should be realizing that the games were marketed for them first before any oversea releases are made (unless it's worldwide with more internationally famous franchises).

In general, I just wanna shed light on the Western Fanbase having become too toxic and elitist for it's own good, while attempting to act pretty hypocritical with it's favoring of characters yet trying to telling you to accept everyone (due having exceptions varying time to time).

After all, if Japanese fanbase are enjoying Roy all they want in his own right, then why is the Western-fanbase trying to put itself objective with making an exception to hate on the guy, especially when it seems "cool" to like Dark Pit or defend his existence/placement in the roster, especially based on his "backstory" + easy implementation as a character?

Call :4lucina::4drmario::4darkpit: and what other characters hated and all you want, but at least people agree they don't really deserve it. Now with :4feroy:, at least on West, people are beyond set on to tell that he's the peak of mediocrity and only acceptable place to cling on toxic, stereotypical and even outdated "facts" about him. It's almost saying Sakurai justmasochistically made the character just to see his efforts be wasted on petty hate around fans. The thing is, Roy's not as bad as people make him to be in the West, yet these fans don't allow other opinions like it be spread around or even accept them as part of the community. That's messed up and has little to no base aside from keeping with stupid fads that came from some popular Western Smash Bros-fan media along with overly generalized talk about character being beloved despite his flaws in both Smash and FE.

TL;DR: Western Smash-fans can truly be the worst and need to get off their biased high horse if they try to back up their idealistic statements about the characters in the roster and what type of reception they are getting. Otherwise I will never, EVER take them seriously, even in face of such matter.

Last edited:

Adamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
BackupAdamas

I've come to see Roy as the character the Western fanbase of Smash think deserve to be acceptable target to show all of your true colors as you shower the guy in like loads and loads of hate, even if for exaggerated and bandwagoning reasons mostly based on memes and other overly generalizing stuff on internet, along with completely outdated and echo chamber-style view on him if you look at the fans in Japan.

It's kind of sad that Smash-fans pretty much ruined my hyping for him allowed "hype" due Western Smash-fandom throwing straight disdain and shade on him for his return, unlike every veteran or newcomer in SSB4 (aside from Dark Pit and possibly other clones, but these got warmed up upon over time). It's felt blatantly like I wasn't allowed to be happy about his return and he was the one sole true mistake Sakurai put to the game. He's also still portrayed as some iron buttmonkey with pathetic personality in most collective Smash-fanart (Combination of Katie's comics from Awkward Zombie + Western Fire Emblem-fanbase's opinions on Roy being worst lord stats/writing-wise.)

It's really down-putting when I see most other characters treated with some respect or even pity (especially clones when getting hate). Not to mention it's bound to create false, yet very realistic sense of me having objectively bad taste on characters because there's one sole opinion across a fandom because Smash-fandom constantly tries to appear being right or intelligent, which has me wonder am I allowed to like this character without being linked to a loathed, sore loser being brought back by true form of bias (perhaps more-so than Corrin due him being an unique character while Roy's just a semi-cloned Fire Marth at best). Also as of today his taken as not having much activity in the playerbase and being a mystery in means of potential, which I kind of attribute on his unpopularity in general.

Even worse being that I can't really talk about Roy's strong points in the grounds I visit at internet because the opinions/"facts" on him have been set in stone and in overall sense (thanks to SereneForest/ FE Reddit) he's objectively terrible character in both his own game and Melee (tier list) and deserves all the portrayal as a Daffy Duck-esque hot-headed loser archetype with overzealous hunger for attention/fame:

Like, compare this ****

I personally feel it's because whether or not he's perceived as bad in his own game or "bland", he's still liked in his Smash-incarnations or maybe a mix of both. In general, I feel that this is like the alternative reality where the things in Western Smash/FE-fanbase and the buttmonkey humor didn't come to grow in popularity for this character due such elitist and commonly bandwagony opinions.

So I personally has this feeling that I think people in Western fanbase has gone too far trying to factually put down Roy to the chagrin and dismay of his Western fans - especially because if trying to contest the "humble tastes" of the Japanese fanbase when bringing up how they don't mind Roy (or compare him to more popular Lords), they should be realizing that the games were marketed for them first before any oversea releases are made (unless it's worldwide with more internationally famous franchises).

In general, I just wanna shed light on the Western Fanbase having become too toxic and elitist for it's own good, while attempting to act pretty hypocritical with it's favoring of characters yet trying to telling you to accept everyone (due having exceptions varying time to time).

After all, if Japanese fanbase are enjoying Roy all they want in his own right, then why is the Western-fanbase trying to put itself objective with making an exception to hate on the guy, especially when it seems "cool" to like Dark Pit or defend his existence/placement in the roster, especially based on his "backstory" + easy implementation as a character?

Call :4lucina::4drmario::4darkpit: and what other characters hated and all you want, but at least people agree they don't really deserve it. Now with :4feroy:, at least on West, people are beyond set on to tell that he's the peak of mediocrity and only good place to cling on toxic, stereotypical and even outdated "facts" about him. It's almost saying Sakurai justmasochistically made the character just to see his efforts be wasted on petty hate around fans.

TL;DR: Western Smash-fans can truly be the worst and need to get off their biased high horse if they try to back up their idealistic statements about the characters in the roster and what type of reception they are getting. Otherwise I will never, EVER take them seriously, even in face of such matter.
Good grief, why'd you have to put so many damn pictures? XD

Silvia

Smash Ace
NNID
SilviaHedgecat
People are still hating on lag after Sakurai did all he could do to reduce it. They are also saying how WiFi doesnt help you offline, when it can help you in terms of match ups.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
The smash community hates everything
there's a huge vocal group in the online scrubs though
I'd say customs

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Truer words have never been spoken.
I personally think both excel well in the similar department involving zoning and harassing with projectiles. I guess with Villager though it's been more accepted since Link's been longer around but been kind of mediocre in last Smash-games (at least not notable fighter performance-wise)

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Lots of stuff
Oh, boy, Roy's someone's husbando!
Okay, really crappy jokes aside... I actually understand your frustrations. I can even relate to them.
I am honestly disappointed in this community. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's history, and now, with the inclusion of so many third party characters, it's pretty much a celebration of video games in general, we should be welcoming all the newcomers with open arms!
No.
"Uuugh, we got Roy back, where's King K. Rool"
"Eeeew, that pointless clone Lucina got in, where is Wolf."
"Yuck, I detest Fire Emblem and we got Corrin, where the hell is Sora."
"How the hell did Bayonetta make it in, where is Shrek?!"
All we do is complain. We complain that X character got in instead of why, and Y character deserves to be in the game more because of whatever arbitrary, biased and idiotic reasons we can think of, without realising we are but just defecating through our mouths and keyboards.
We complain, and not even for the right causes or reasons.
It's what we do.
It's honestly depressing that people really do berate others for the characters you use. Because they're low tier, high tier, are a popular waifu/husbando, are a clone....
This community is sometimes disgusting.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
:4lucina: :4feroy:, and:rosalina:are the first people that come to my mind

So, Lucina, and Roy, I don't really like them or anything, but, I feel they deserve respect, and far more than they've been getting. It's one thing to say you don't believe they didn't deserve to be here on their own merits, but it's another thing entirely to want to cut them next game, even though it'd be so easy to recreate both of them, the only purpose of that is to rile up their fanbase, and while, yes, the FE fanbase is easily the one that rubs salt in people's faces the most so it's understandable if you harbor negative feelings about them, if you did that then you'd no better than the ones who rub salt in your face, (who, mind you, aren't the entire fanbase) you'd just be another salt monger who wants to see people suffer. You'd be no better than the people who laugh at your own misfortunes, the people who laugh that your character didn't make it. Wanting to cut a character for no reason than other than making their mains suffer is just flat out wrong.

Rosalina's hated for a different reason, many people dislike her because she's "lame" and even jeer people like Dabuz for playing the character at tournaments. As a Melee :jigglypuffmelee: main, I have to say, being called "lame" even when your trying your best to be fair, to be hated by the crowd by a whim, I can sympathize with that, it sucks. It's absolutely terrible, nothing you do ever gets praise, the spectators become giant hypocrites who jeer if you camp for even a second but don't bat an eye if your opponent starts laser camping, and people just see you and your character as some sort of monster for merely existing, can't we just play who we want to? Really, it's just mean, how would you feel if you were hated because your character is "lame" and regardless of how hard you played, how nice you were, how much you strove to be fair? I doubt you'd like it either, so please, treat them with the respect you'd like to be treated with yourself.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Okay, really crappy jokes aside... I actually understand your frustrations. I can even relate to them.
I am honestly disappointed in this community. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's history, and now, with the inclusion of so many third party characters, it's pretty much a celebration of video games in general, we should be welcoming all the newcomers with open arms!
No.
All we do is complain. We complain that X character got in instead of why, and Y character deserves to be in the game more because of whatever arbitrary, biased and idiotic reasons we can think of, without realising we are but just defecating through our mouths and keyboards.
It's what we do.
It's honestly depressing that people really do berate others for the characters you use. Because they're low tier, high tier, are a popular waifu/husbando, are a clone....
He's more like a big baby I need to protect from the bad parts of the fandom. :laugh:

On the serious note, I think it's been one of the reasons why I went off to other communities that were similar and found overall much better time.

This however, doesn't mean that I'd let Smash-fanbase stay like this. I love this series plain whole lot (like pretty much all here), but as of late, it's become more deterred by the overall saltiness and pretty overly bloated hate around things that kind of don't deserve it. I mean, even if I don't like Dark Pit here due my personal criticism about his character design and overall sweeped-down-the-rug development, I still think there's potential for him to be made into a character I'd like without taking away his original premise (which weren't really bad, just underutilized as of today).

Still, it's kind of messed up how the franchise has embraced intentionally more reasons to throw this petty hate and also shade on things that didn't make it, which has quite turned me off from enjoying it with as much respect as before, like Nintendo of America embracing Ridley-jokes enough to let someone make money out of them due the name alone, and well, letting Kid Icarus-characters pretty much represent the worst of the fandom (for mostly superficial on-surface hilarity). After all, it's come kind of disturbing me how Chrom's basically went through the opposite that Captain Falcon has, thanks to Smash Bros turning him to a laughing stock in a game about Nintendo's celebration of it's gaming history. No amount of dedication and detail to his character will ever be able to take that away. Same goes for all other characters like aforementioned Ridley (though more from the fans but also as of late, NoA if going by Nintendo Badge Arcade) and Waluigi (which almost serves as a basis for the other characters due being exaggeration of Luigi's traits, especially the craving for attention and fame)

Over the years I can see the series going even higher with Sakurai and his team(s) still on helm, but also always walk in hand with as much bad with it, enough to turn off some people from the franchise while exposing new ones to pretty mixed experience unless you ain't using the internet.

Troykv

Smash Master
~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~

It feels weird when your favorite MCs in this franchise are one of the most mixed characters compared with the other "superior" Lords (I'm the "Micaiah4Smash" Guy and a Roy Fan too).

I understand your feels... The game doesn't really was really good with his perfoming (Any Binding Blade or Melee). But I think Roy isn't a bland character... His character isn't the most original... But you can find many things if you think about how he act against the situations in the story and the supports... He has a lot of them.

Note: I LOVE how Sakurai made Roy feels more like... Well... Roy in Smash 4 (taller, more serious, a little bit more beefy, etc.)

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
:4lucina: :4feroy:, and:rosalina:are the first people that come to my mind

So, Lucina, and Roy, I don't really like them or anything, but, I feel they deserve respect, and far more than they've been getting. It's one thing to say you don't believe they didn't deserve to be here on their own merits, but it's another thing entirely to want to cut them next game, even though it'd be so easy to recreate both of them, the only purpose of that is to rile up their fanbase, and while, yes, the FE fanbase is easily the one that rubs salt in people's faces the most so it's understandable if you harbor negative feelings about them, if you did that then you'd no better than the ones who rub salt in your face, (who, mind you, aren't the entire fanbase) you'd just be another salt monger who wants to see people suffer. You'd be no better than the people who laugh at your own misfortunes, the people who laugh that your character didn't make it. Wanting to cut a character for no reason than other than making their mains suffer is just flat out wrong.

Rosalina's hated for a different reason, many people dislike her because she's "lame" and even jeer people like Dabuz for playing the character at tournaments. As a Melee :jigglypuffmelee: main, I have to say, being called "lame" even when your trying your best to be fair, to be hated by the crowd by a whim, I can sympathize with that, it sucks. It's absolutely terrible, nothing you do ever gets praise, the spectators become giant hypocrites who jeer if you camp for even a second but don't bat an eye if your opponent starts laser camping, and people just see you and your character as some sort of monster for merely existing, can't we just play who we want to? Really, it's just mean, how would you feel if you were hated because your character is "lame" and regardless of how hard you played, how nice you were, how much you strove to be fair? I doubt you'd like it either, so please, treat them with the respect you'd like to be treated with yourself.
Yeah, I agree with a lot of things you said.
Let's analyze this sentence:
"Darnit, my main Wolf didn't make it in! Meanwhile, your stupid main Lucina did! I hope they remove that stupid ***** Lucina next game so you can cry and I can laugh at your misfortune, even if Wolf won't come back!"

Now, let's replace a few words.
Replace main Wolf didn't make it in with "My father is dead"
Replace main Lucina did with "mom is still alive"
Replace they remove that stupid ***** Lucina next game with "she dies on a fire", and finally,
Replace Wolf with "dad"

"Darnit, my father is dead! Meanwhile, your stupid mom is still alive! I hope she dies on a fire so you can cry and I can laugh at your misfortune, even if dad won't come back!"

All of sudden, that sounds horrible, doesn't it? Although one is indeed much worse than the other, both still show someone complaining about their situation and wishing bad things upon others even if it won't make their situation better, and'll only make more people miserable like they are. Both have the same effect. Nothing.
So don't do neither.

And yeah, I used to be a Rosalina/Dabuz hater, but I've grown out of it. Sure, I still don't like Rosalina, and I still don't appreciate Dabuz's alternative style of play, but complaining and moaning and whining about it won't take me anywhere, so I stopped it. Besides, after I started maining Sheik in Melee, I realised how horrible it is to be hated just because you use a character, so I know how both you and Dabuz feel.

Vidilian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vidilian
I think the overall somewhat defensive nature of the neutral game is hated on too much from Melee players. Especially since there are other respected fighting games that have a kinda defensive neutral game.

Not trying to start anything with Melee fans btw.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~

It feels weird when your favorite MCs in this franchise are one of the most mixed characters compared with the other "superior" Lords (I'm the "Micaiah4Smash" Guy and a Roy Fan too).

I understand your feels... The game doesn't really was really good with his perfoming (Any Binding Blade or Melee). But I think Roy isn't a bland character... His character isn't the most original... But you can find many things if you think about how he act against the situations in the story and the supports... He has a lot of them.

Note: I LOVE how Sakurai made Roy feels more like... Well... Roy in Smash 4 (taller, more serious, a little bit more beefy, etc.)
You mean him being more energetic and vigorous? Me too. These were remnants of his character from the beta stages of Binding Blade, especially around Melee's development.

I tend to feel that him being made more calm and almost in line with other mellow FE-lords was kinda the part of making him a "real" royalty, despite that neutering his personality, especially according to many who couldn't behind his characterization in Binding Blade (including Sakurai).

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Some other things people overly hate: casual players. As much as I enjoy both spectating and competing in competitive play, I always love to turn on those wacky items and play on temple if someone wants to. This general hatred of the casual community (notably Melee's) is strange to me because not everyone cares about being the best, just stupid fun with friends. (It's how I started!) It would be nice if we could lose some of the elitism this community is filled with.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Some other things people overly hate: casual players. As much as I enjoy both spectating and competing in competitive play, I always love to turn on those wacky items and play on temple if someone wants to. This general hatred of the casual community (notably Melee's) is strange to me because not everyone cares about being the best, just stupid fun with friends. (It's how I started!) It would be nice if we could lose some of the elitism this community is filled with.
If I were to be honest with you, I se far
far far far far
far far far FAR
FAR FAR
more casuals insulting us competitive players, calling us "not real fans", giving absolutely zero credits to Melee and treating Smash 4 like it's the next Pong, saying untrue things like "every character is equal" and that the "tier list doesn't matter" than the other way around.
Yes, I do see some bad apples between us arguing why the casuals are wrong, but I feel like it's the casuals that try to make us thing like we're commiting some sort of crime by not playing on The Great Cave Offensive with all the items on.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
If I were to be honest with you, I se far
far far far far
far far far FAR
FAR FAR
more casuals insulting us competitive players, calling us "not real fans", giving absolutely zero credits to Melee and treating Smash 4 like it's the next Pong, saying untrue things like "every character is equal" and that the "tier list doesn't matter" than the other way around.
Yes, I do see some bad apples between us arguing why the casuals are wrong, but I feel like it's the casuals that try to make us thing like we're commiting some sort of crime by not playing on The Great Cave Offensive with all the items on.
This. I see way more casuals insulting competitive players than the other way around.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
This. I see way more casuals insulting competitive players than the other way around.
Go to any casual Smash video on Youtube, then read the comments.
The moment anyone mentions anything about competitive, negative, positive, neutral, there'll always be those casuals screaming like apes saying competitive doesn't matter and that playing on tournament-legal stages only with no items ruins the essence of Smash and that we are all ruining the games and the way we play is wrong and whine whine whine whine I'd love cheese with my whine.
He's more like a big baby I need to protect from the bad parts of the fandom. :laugh:
So you're Roy's mommy~?

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Without a doubt Ness's Back throw. I see people complain about it constantly, even people who use characters that have way more annoying grab games.

Last edited:

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Customs (and Miis if they are counted together) wasn't that bad to use it (although getting most of the customs without using :4bayonetta: in Trophy Rush was longer based RNG). I think people (mostly top players) just don't know how to avoid them and figured out how to countered the customized characters. Instead, they quickly look at customs and call them "jank" or broken, which people also want to ban all of them rather than some of the customs that are really annoying like Kong Cyclone and Extreme Balloon Trip.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Smash 4 as a whole game is overly hated and looked down upon. Expanding off of the "customs are jank" comment earlier, people are so ready to call ZSS Up air combos or Mario's infamous Up B 0% kill as "Jank" but then turn around at get excited watching 0% shine spike number whatever or up throw chaingrab on FD for the umpteenth time or any other number of Next To No Counterplay kills that people get excited over in Melee, but their Smash 4 contemporary is just "jank". It comes across as really hypocritical and strikes me more as wanting or seeking a reason to dislike Smash 4 to justify liking Melee when there's no reason for it to be an either-or. It just really bugs me how people try and justify casting aside a one year old game by comparing it to a 14 year old developed meta, as if that makes any sense, when both game have very interesting metas.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto

It's even more surprising how just accepted and set in stone this whole hate and disdain is when the Japanese fanbase acts just complete opposite, with plenty tributing and celebratory pics for our boy while being pretty regular in it's growth and activity:

Call :4lucina::4drmario::4darkpit: and what other characters hated and all you want, but at least people agree they don't really deserve it. Now with :4feroy:, at least on West, people are beyond set on to tell that he's the peak of mediocrity and only acceptable place to cling on toxic, stereotypical and even outdated "facts" about him. It's almost saying Sakurai justmasochistically made the character just to see his efforts be wasted on petty hate around fans. The thing is, Roy's not as bad as people make him to be in the West, yet these fans don't allow other opinions like it be spread around or even accept them as part of the community. That's messed up and has little to no base aside from keeping with stupid fads that came from some popular Western Smash Bros-fan media along with overly generalized talk about character being beloved despite his flaws in both Smash and FE.

I'm just here to confirm that Roy does suck. Personally, I think he was far and away the worst of the DLC characters. He's just a fire Marth who's taking a DLC character slot that could have been filled by an actually deserving character. Roy is a plainly awful clone all-around and his play style is done far better by other characters (Cloud). I'm just glad that they didn't add any other characters like him.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
For one, Roy. Roy has done literally nothing to deserve the **** he gets (if anything, it should go to Lucas). What's worse is that he was brought back solely to appease the people pissing and moaning over his absence, and what's more, they even took the liberty of Luigificating him (and doing a damn good job of it) and actually making him GOOD. You know, the thing he wasn't in Melee. And what does he get in return? What can only be described as pure, unadulterated ignorance. Would I trade him for Wolf? In the blink of an eye, but dammit he's still my boy.

I would type a wall of text on how Rosalina gets undeserved hate, but most of it is just salt and/or lack of skill and/or being killed by Luma at 70%.
No.
It's what we do.
This man speaks the truth. Preach, brother.

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
The 3 clones we got in this game are hated by somewhat unfair reasons.
:4drmario: has some potential. He's not nearly as good as the character he's cloned from, but he still has some interesting potential. Very fast and strong moves, good smashes and combos are present, here, so he's not entirely useless.
:4lucina:is my favourite character from this game, and sadly, she's the one I see the most hatred towards. Because, of course! I am me, I always have to like a new character in the game and then find out later that the new character I like so much is either massively unpopular or hated! People complain that she's a "worthless clone", and insult everything from her gameplay to her character itself, and people sometimes even call her nasty things out of... not much reason, really, I'll assume some people around these boards like to be nasty just because they can. No, I don't think that Lucina is better than Marth, nor that the Lucina in this game is in any way faithful to her depiction in Awakening, but she's not useless. People tend to severly underrate Lucina's power, some moves have somewhat large gaps between Marth's tippered KO% and Lucina's regular KO% (Marth's tippered Side Smash can kill almost 30% earlier than Lucina's, which can also kill almost 30% earlier than his non-tippered one), but some don't at all (Marth's tippered Shield Breaker on average kills only 17% earlier than Lucie's, while Lucie's sometimes kills over 30% earlier than his non-tippered one), so some moves are better depending on who you're using. You also really shouldn't automatically write her off because Marth might kill earlier once in a blue moon - Marth only kills earlier if you hit the tip, and to hit the tip, you need practice! The tip does nothing if you don't hit it, people have the tendency to forget that!
:4darkpit:I also see a lot of hate for this cute little dude, but mostly for how he plays and not what the character stands for, unlike Lucina. He's kind of the cloneliest of the clones, and some people really don't take clones too kindly, so he ends up being a big target for them. Also, people complain that a dark version of a character isn't an original concept. Which it isn't, yeah, but Dark Pit is a separate entity from Pit, so it's not like you can't like him. From a gameplay standpoint, I feel like nowadays he might be a straight but very slight upgrade from Pit. Pit's Side Tilt is better and he can edgeguard better with his arrows, but Dark Pit can get more damage with his arrows while still steering them at least very slightly, and his Side B is a much better and more consistent kill move nowadays, so I prefer playing as him.
Technically, the true clone is :4mewtwo:
:troll:

Anyways, something this game is over-hated about?
How it's not like Melee.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
...I only noticed now that I somehow double posted.
What? How? I'm fairly sure I inserted both quotes in the same message.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I feel Samus is over-hated and disgustingly underestimated. Calling her things like garbage or the absolute worst character. i've played her enough and even mained her for the first several months the game was out to understand the frustrations of using her. She isn't sheik but she actually HAS tools she can utilize well. About the hate,Especially when we got over the patch 1.0.0 mark. Alot of people especially her mains would just whine and whine and honestly discouraged me to even be part of the SamusBoards.
There was constant pity party and anger that gave me second -hand embarrassment.(I can't imagine after this last patch.)

But maybe it has cooled down alittle idk. I know there are very determined players on there who will stick to it and keep great composure. But to the ones that 'dropped out' probably will just continue to spout off their salt to everyone and be toxic around anyone who speaks her name. with the same dumbass joke ''Lel. Samus? You mean Zero suit?" or obligatory "Take the suit off"

Original!

tl;lr: Samus is over-hated to the point where its too ridiculous to handle. Yes she is 'low' in the teirs but I don't believe she is just 'hopeless.' I don't mean to offend any Samus main, just the one who spreads negativity and unconstructive opinions about her just because they saw that dumb video...you know which one...-.-

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm just here to confirm that Roy does suck. Personally, I think he was far and away the worst of the DLC characters. He's just a fire Marth who's taking a DLC character slot that could have been filled by an actually deserving character. Roy is a plainly awful clone all-around and his play style is done far better by other characters (Cloud). I'm just glad that they didn't add any other characters like him.
A lot have pretty much said same thing when a character they thought were more deserving didn't get in either, lol.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4diddy: is still generally disliked because of his pre-nerfed state in the game. Hoo-Hah is still frowned upon, and :4diddy: mains are still called scrubs by ... srcubs, ironically.

In the meanwhile, :4sheik: is glorified and shouldn't absolutely ever be nerfed.

:rolleyes:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
A lot have pretty much said same thing when a character they thought were more deserving didn't get in either, lol.
Actually, it has nothing to do with any particular character I wanted in the game instead of Roy. It has to do with the fact that practically any character would have been better than Roy.

Top Bottom