• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything you feel is over-hated about the game?

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Actually, it has nothing to do with any particular character I wanted in the game instead of Roy. It has to do with the fact that practically any character would have been better than Roy.
Well, that kind of is your opinion.
All those people that wanted Roy would disagree.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Actually, it has nothing to do with any particular character I wanted in the game instead of Roy. It has to do with the fact that practically any character would have been better than Roy.
Or you could just ignore Roy entirely, and just pick other DLC characters since going by your shallow and biased statement, they would really tickle your fancy.

But I kinda am getting this impression that you're taking them for granted due saying that Roy should have been replaced by a completely different character entirely in midst of many more unique and fan-favorite characters (even past him being semi-cloned to a good degree).

I'm not surprised, this kind of mindsets and ungratefulness has been pretty common around Smash-fanbase by today. :dizzy:

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Well, that kind of is your opinion.
All those people that wanted Roy would disagree.
Indeed, they would.

Or you could just ignore Roy entirely, and just pick other DLC characters since going by your shallow and biased statement, they would really tickle your fancy.

But I kinda am getting this impression that you're taking them for granted due saying that Roy should have been replaced by a completely different character entirely in midst of many more unique and fan-favorite characters (even past him being semi-cloned to a good degree).

I'm not surprised, this kind of mindsets and ungratefulness has been pretty common around Smash-fanbase by today. :dizzy:
You can't be ungrateful to a big company. They provide us with content, we pay. If we don't like the content, we complain. There is nobody to be "ungrateful" to. Even if there was, I would still be ungrateful about a character as awful as Roy.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's pretty disturbing whenever people give so much hate towards customizations. Customizations can add more diversity to the game, especially the equipment bonus effects. The problem is, the stat boosts and stat drops that the equipment offers can end up leaving people with a sour taste in their mouths.

Still, if you use someone like Bowser Jr., customizations can be used to make each Koopaling offer different strengths and weaknesses.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
It's pretty disturbing whenever people give so much hate towards customizations. Customizations can add more diversity to the game, especially the equipment bonus effects. The problem is, the stat boosts and stat drops that the equipment offers can end up leaving people with a sour taste in their mouths.

Still, if you use someone like Bowser Jr., customizations can be used to make each Koopaling offer different strengths and weaknesses.
Ganondorf would be an actually good character if customs were allowed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf would be an actually good character if customs were allowed.
He does get a good amount of benefits from Dark Fists and Wizard's Dropkick, since they do help improve his normally bad recovery. But another character who can benefit from the customizations is Charizard, as the Glider bonus effect does help fix up its poor air speed issue.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
My thing I feel is wrongly overhated are the stage bosses. I especially enjoy the way Ridley is implemented as almost a pseudo-fighter, Yellow Devil doesn't seem too terribly overpowered minus the explosion (just omnipresent), and Metal Face does a good job at filling out Gaur Plains. Plus his quotes are interesting - I never knew Gilbert Gottfried could be so threatening sounding.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My thing I feel is wrongly overhated are the stage bosses. I especially enjoy the way Ridley is implemented as almost a pseudo-fighter, Yellow Devil doesn't seem too terribly overpowered minus the explosion (just omnipresent), and Metal Face does a good job at filling out Gaur Plains. Plus his quotes are interesting - I never knew Gilbert Gottfried could be so threatening sounding.
Actually, the English voice actor for Metal Face is Timothy Watson, but you do get the Gilbert Gottfried vibe from the way he speaks.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Actually, the English voice actor for Metal Face is Timothy Watson, but you do get the Gilbert Gottfried vibe from the way he speaks.
Yeah I know it's not Gottfried himself but he's all I can think about lol.

Also, how "trolly" is Sakurai for making Ridley so close to being a fighter, even giving him his own STOCK ICON, but then not making him actually playable? But pyrosphere is still one of my favorite stages, and the best out of the boss stages. Gaur Plain is too big for me and I have a hard time seeing some of the platforms, Yellow Devil just spawns too much.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You can't be ungrateful to a big company. They provide us with content, we pay. If we don't like the content, we complain. There is nobody to be "ungrateful" to.
Except well, the difference here being we're talking about the add-on content. Like again, you could ignore Roy entirely (meaning you don't buy him) and buy the DLC that you'd rather spend money on, instead of complaining about optional feature.

This pretty much exemplifies how complaints like yours get ignored and lost in the mass of other loud and self-entitled fans trying to present their opinions as facts. You haven't contributed anything new to that so far. :079:

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Except well, the difference here being we're talking about the add-on content. Like again, you could ignore Roy entirely (meaning you don't buy him) and buy the DLC that you'd rather spend money on, instead of complaining about optional feature.
Well, to be fair, if we tell Nintendo what we as a community want (less new clones, more characters from underappreciated franchises, more returning characters and stages), they're going to listen to those that are the loudest. And to be fair, the only people who really wanted Roy back were Japanese fans (who can't stand any cut vets, look at how Snake, Wolf, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Pichu were pushed in that country) and people who mained him in Melee. Everyone else was at best indifferent to his return.

So it's a dangerous message to send that we'll be content with whatever they give us, because it means that they'll think we'll take anything, and then they'll get more and more bold with advertising in their DLC, and then it all goes downhill.

Take a look at Smash 4's DLC roster; :4mewtwo:, :4lucas:, :4feroy:,:4ryu:,:4cloud:,:4corrinf:,:4bayonetta:.

Out of those, only one character is a first-party newcomer, and it's from a franchise that's already controversial in it's amount of ad space (:4corrinf:). Everyone else is either A) a returning veteran character (:4mewtwo:, :4lucas:, :4feroy:) or a third-party newcomer (:4ryu:,:4cloud:,:4bayonetta:).

No heavy-hitter Nintendo newcomers were added as Smash DLC. Hell, even the heavy-hitter veterans (:wolf: and :snake:) got axed and didn't come back as DLC. At best, :popo: may come back if the Smash NX port rumors are confirmed, if they don't treat that port as a new game and start adding even more characters to it using Ballot votes.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto

This pretty much exemplifies how complaints like yours get ignored and lost in the mass of other loud and self-entitled fans trying to present their opinions as facts. You haven't contributed anything new to that so far. :079:
I didn't intend on contributing anything new. I intended upon saying the same thing many have said before. You yourself agree that the Roy hate voice is quite loud. It's loud for a reason. And when voices are loud, people listen. You're salty because you're lost this argument. I think it's for you to give up. I'm just glad that the other DLC characters were more unique than the travesty that is Roy.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Corrin and Bayonetta.

Calm down, we got two new characters. I think after all of Sakurai's hard work, we should be thankful, not salty.

I also feel like the community can be pretty nitpicky about small things ("OMG, X sucks blah blah" or "WTF, why does Y only play this character" or "When the f*** is Z going to be nerfed/buffed")

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Heheh, I'm noticing your cynicism in the Smash community, Valkyrie. I can relate to that.

When it comes to hated to just being "over-hated", I'm sure :4marth: fits there for his balance changes since Melee and Brawl, especially with the "compensating" Neutral B nerf while he got slight-but-noticeable buffs in the last patch. Who was it again that was Marth in the NWT a couple E3s back and had difficulty adapting to Marth's changes in Smash 4 before it was released? Well, I can relate to him too, which is why it was pretty easy to make him my less-used secondary. It is a heft drop from your main too.

Last edited:

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
:4darkpit::4drmario::4lucina:. I'm shocked at how much hate the clones still get these days. I hate how people constantly say they should be cut. I hate how people keep saying the development could have gone elsewhere like they know how game development works. I actually want to see all three of them return for Smash 5 when it comes around years later, only freshly declined.

:4corrin:. Those people who say Corrin's moveset is unoriginal are morons. Corrin is actually really fun to use, and in a few years, maybe everyone'll see that. Heck, maybe we'll all warm up to Corrin, and respect his presence in the roster. Just like :4feroy:.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, to be fair, if we tell Nintendo what we as a community want (less new clones, more characters from underappreciated franchises, more returning characters and stages), they're going to listen to those that are the loudest.
That's what the Ballot was for, but only one coming out world-wide was Bayonetta.

In whole though, we have no idea why the more vocally wanted characters weren't chosen, but apparently they weren't enough the time, budget and effort to go through. It might be that we as a fanbase live in a echo chamber. The wishes for these characters weren't apparently enough to warrant their inclusions over what things could have gone to make them work for the time being. It's not that simple.

And to be fair, the only people who really wanted Roy back were Japanese fans (who can't stand any cut vets, look at how Snake, Wolf, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Pichu were pushed in that country) and people who mained him in Melee. Everyone else was at best indifferent to his return.

Roy's fanbase in West still existed, despite what most fans want you to think there. And while that might be true, there's been fans who also met wanted him back for other reasons aside from lumping with the forgotten characters, like ones liking him from his own game or so forth.

On the end with Melee-fans, are they always gonna be the frowned fans for wanting a character back themselves? That game had us take all kinds of characters up and introduced to them, so these fans are as much fans as others. Even past how they were characterized or portrayed in their own origins (which people keep rallying as true reasons to support a character or put them down.)

So it's a dangerous message to send that we'll be content with whatever they give us, because it means that they'll think we'll take anything, and then they'll get more and more bold with advertising in their DLC, and then it all goes downhill.

Take a look at Smash 4's DLC roster; :4mewtwo:, :4lucas:, :4feroy:,:4ryu:,:4cloud:,:4corrinf:,:4bayonetta:.

Out of those, only one character is a first-party newcomer, and it's from a franchise that's already controversial in it's amount of ad space (:4corrinf:). Everyone else is either A) a returning veteran character (:4mewtwo:, :4lucas:, :4feroy:) or a third-party newcomer (:4ryu:,:4cloud:,:4bayonetta:).

No heavy-hitter Nintendo newcomers were added as Smash DLC. Hell, even the heavy-hitter veterans (:wolf: and :snake:) got axed and didn't come back as DLC. At best, :popo: may come back if the Smash NX port rumors are confirmed, if they don't treat that port as a new game and start adding even more characters to it using Ballot votes.
The closest to "promotion" is Corrin, but got still chosen due the unique qualities the character possessed despite the same initial worries. Again though, apparently some of these characters just weren't worth the effort to go through, yet not much wasn't lost - instead, we gained even more by now. We could see likes of Wolf and other newcomers back perhaps in next installment, but we can do fine just right now. It's not as bad as people make it to be (and definitely it's not advertising.)

Again though, I only said that trying to complain about thing such as optional content with little to no base except plain dislike or hate with quite petty, shallow points ("character slots" still exists apparently) and expect that to be a viable reason to say a character choice sucks is running all the way back to :salt:.

I didn't intend on contributing anything new. I intended upon saying the same thing many have said before. You yourself agree that the Roy hate voice is quite loud. It's loud for a reason. And when voices are loud, people listen.

You're salty because you're lost this argument. I think it's for you to give up. I'm just glad that the other DLC characters were more unique than the travesty that is Roy.
Well I know now why I haven't been much around this toxic, hive-like community for longest time. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Troykv

Smash Master
And to be fair, the only people who really wanted Roy back were Japanese fans (who can't stand any cut vets, look at how Snake, Wolf, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Pichu were pushed in that country) and people who mained him in Melee. Everyone else was at best indifferent to his return.
Pokémon's Japanese Support (but Mewtwo) is weak compared with Roy's.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Now now people let's not start a flame war.
Anyway, I think the most over hated thing in Smash 4 is For Glory. Yeah I said it.
While it's true that For Glory has it's bad qualities, what kinda game with Online doesn't? I've seen people complain about how For Glory is "cancerous" and "The worst thing to ever happened to Smash" all because of bad players, lag, spam, and other things that are common in online fighters.
It get's ridiculous sometimes, and it kinda annoy's me.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I didn't intend on contributing anything new. I intended upon saying the same thing many have said before. You yourself agree that the Roy hate voice is quite loud. It's loud for a reason. And when voices are loud, people listen. You're salty because you're lost this argument. I think it's for you to give up. I'm just glad that the other DLC characters were more unique than the travesty that is Roy.
Hey, how about trying to not be a ****?
All you're doing is intentionally trying to start something, and honestly, that's all I ever see you do.
There's no need to come in and bash someone's opinion, especially in an opinion-based thread. Even if you're going to do that, fine, but saying "you're just salty because you lost this argument" sounds childish.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Now now people let's not start a flame war.
Anyway, I think the most over hated thing in Smash 4 is For Glory. Yeah I said it.
While it's true that For Glory has it's bad qualities, what kinda game with Online doesn't? I've seen people complain about how For Glory is "cancerous" and "The worst thing to ever happened to Smash" all because of bad players, lag, spam, and other things that are common in online fighters.
It get's ridiculous sometimes, and it kinda annoy's me.
I've been noticing that For Glory has actually been getting better and better. On average, the players are noticeably better, making it better for training in a pinch. I agree that it's silly to hate For Glory.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
"X character is cheap"
"Y move is broken"

Go back to Smash 64 when nearly any character can 0-to-death or to Brawl when you couldn't string 2 attacks together without the opponent breaking out, then come back and complain about Smash 4 again.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
:4diddy: is still generally disliked because of his pre-nerfed state in the game. Hoo-Hah is still frowned upon, and :4diddy: mains are still called scrubs by ... srcubs, ironically.

In the meanwhile, :4sheik: is glorified and shouldn't absolutely ever be nerfed.

:rolleyes:
Who is glorifying Sheik?

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Hmm most over hated thing about the game? Probably most characters in upper mid tier or higher. Some of the hate I agree with to an extent (not always because I think they are overpowered or anything) like Rosalina, Mario, Ness, Yoshi, etc. On the other hand I see a lot of people hate on characters like Falcon (maybe its just me, but I see a lot of hate for Falcon just because of people making assumptions that most people who play him are people trying too hard to look good but actually suck), ZSS, and Sheik.

If this thread was about what is the most overrated things about the game, I would probably have to say Fire Emblem characters. I'm probably going to piss off a few people here, since I notice a lot of you guys here seem to like FE.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Things that are over-hated regarding Smash 4? Valid opinions, maybe?

I can't really think of one specific thing. A lot of people have already touched on stuff that gets hated a lot, as far as I can tell.

TheArcfire

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProfesorSanchez
Why are people complaining about a 6th fire emblem character? People wanted Chrom in the game

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Why are people complaining about a 6th fire emblem character? People wanted Chrom in the game
Because they didn't get THEIR Fire Emblem Character. :kappa:
Well a lot of us were already just kind of tired of seeing so many FE newcomers. Yeah people wanted Chrom, but after you include Roy as a 5th DLC character you would think most people would be thinking "okay cool we got Roy but 5 FE characters is enough", anyways the 6th FE character wasn't even Chrom or a character from a game released outside of Japan at the time of reveal. From playing Corrin, I can say Corrin is a really cool character in this game, but it is easy to understand why people would be a little bothered about having ANOTHER FE character. Also a lot of people were probably expecting that both of the last 2 DLC characters would be characters that many people wanted, and even a lot of FE fans from what I've seen never wanted Corrin in this game.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Well a lot of us were already just kind of tired of seeing so many FE newcomers. Yeah people wanted Chrom, but after you include Roy as a 5th DLC character you would think most people would be thinking "okay cool we got Roy but 5 FE characters is enough", anyways the 6th FE character wasn't even Chrom or a character from a game released outside of Japan at the time of reveal. From playing Corrin, I can say Corrin is a really cool character in this game, but it is easy to understand why people would be a little bothered about having ANOTHER FE character. Also a lot of people were probably expecting that both of the last 2 DLC characters would be characters that many people wanted, and even a lot of FE fans from what I've seen never wanted Corrin in this game.
If I didn't make my joke response earlier, I would have said something similar to this.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
If I were to be honest with you, I se far
far far far far
far far far FAR
FAR FAR
more casuals insulting us competitive players, calling us "not real fans", giving absolutely zero credits to Melee and treating Smash 4 like it's the next Pong, saying untrue things like "every character is equal" and that the "tier list doesn't matter" than the other way around.
Yes, I do see some bad apples between us arguing why the casuals are wrong, but I feel like it's the casuals that try to make us thing like we're committing some sort of crime by not playing on The Great Cave Offensive with all the items on.
I think it depends where you are. A competitive focused Smash forum or Sub Reddit? More comments about casuals. Casual focused Youtube Videos about Tiers? More competitive backlash.

Most of the competitive hate comes from the fact that the earlier competitive smash community wasn't... so friendly with casuals and their (currently favorite) game being Brawl. Some seemed to blame casuals for the dilution of the franchise, etc.

I just wish the community got along and appreciated/respected each other, and most do, but there are those outspoken individuals that are kind of annoying.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
Is it fitting or ironic that a thread about over-hating things started an argument?

After all the hype from Corrin/Bayonetta, I off-handedly decided to drop by the Palutena boards. It was then that I realized that I'd pretty much forgotten that Custom Moves existed. And then I realized that the poor Palutena mains out there have probably never forgotten that Custom Moves exist. And then I felt a little sad.

Has anyone noticed, that none of the recent patch notes mention anything about Customs being balanced or tweaked? Since no tournaments were using them, the developers likely didn't get any more feedback on Custom Moves in general, basically making Customs irrelevant even to the designers. This also means that previous balance patches where any "jank"/useless Customs could have been addressed/fixed have been effectively squandered in that department. And with the possibility of there being few (if any) patches in the future now that development on Smash 4 has stopped, any balance issues or bugs that might still exist with them, or any inconveniences like oft-toted difficulty in unlocking them, may NEVER be addressed.

In short, the fandom may have effectively killed an interesting feature of gameplay through sheer hate/neglect. And I find that a bit depressing.

Last edited:

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
For a while I might have said Lucario got a TON of unwarranted hate from the Smash competitive scene, almost entirely by way of ZeRo's infamously salty twitter post about Lucario players after a certain match. My roommate/smash rival was bitter about it for an obscenely long time, and most players I'd meet in person would give me so much crap the second I mention I play Lucario.

It's died down now; ZeRo has gone on to personally apologize on the Lucario boards, and even my vindictive opinionated roommate has eased off the salt. For a while there though, it seemed like everyone and their mother had it in fir Lucario.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
People only wanted Chrom before Robin and Lucina were announced.
There are probably still some who hold on to their resentment towards those two because it wasn't Chrom, though I can't imagine there being that many these days. I thought it might happen, but wasn't pulling for him.

Anyway, characters like :4corrin:, :4bayonetta: and :4cloud: caused a tremendous amount of salt to flow for various reasons(:4corrin: because 6 FE chars, some have doubts about :4bayonetta:'s legitimacy, :4cloud: never showing up on a Nintendo console outside of making brief cameos in certain games, along with one of the usual complaints being that they aren't the characters that people wanted). To be honest there are characters that I would've wanted in their place, but it's pretty much a moot point now. I'm pretty sure they're interesting characters in their own right(hell, I'm starting to take a liking to :4bayonetta:'s playstyle even if she is hard to use).

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
The whole community, and the fact Sheik was always better than Diddy despite Hoo-Hah D-Throw U-Air and her never being nerfed like Diddy was.
I don't see the whole community glorifying Sheik. And I see Sheik getting more hate over anything else.

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
And while I'm at it, I'm pretty sure that plenty of people would have seen Ridley and Wolf DLC as shameless plugs for the new Metroid and Star Fox games, respectively. DLC was going to salt the earth one way or another, so please. Keep your venting to yourself.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
And while I'm at it, I'm pretty sure that plenty of people would have seen Ridley and Wolf DLC as shameless plugs for the new Metroid and Star Fox games, respectively. DLC was going to salt the earth one way or another, so please.
First off, Ridley's not even IN Federation Force, that's been confirmed; so he couldn't be a plug for a game he won't even be in. And we still know next to nothing about Prime 4 other than it exists and Sylux will be in it in some form, so he can't promote that.

As for Wolf, he's a returning veteran, just like Roy and Lucas. He's not promoting much of anything just by being in Smash, like how Corrin is promoting FE:Fates. Sure, the website page would have plugged Star Fox Zero, but most fighter's pages do that.

So no, Ridley and Wolf literally couldn't be shameless plugs because they're either A) not known to be in any recent titles or B) are simply crosspromoting games from their franchise on the site because they're a returning veteran.

Again, Corrin is blatant promotion. Wolf and Ridley would not be blatant promotion because they're either not promoting a game except for cross-selling or don't even appear in a game they could use them as advertisments for. :/

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Again, Corrin is blatant promotion. Wolf and Ridley would not be blatant promotion because they're either not promoting a game except for cross-selling or don't even appear in a game they could use them as advertisments for. :/
I don't see why it's such a big deal Corri nis for promotion. There's not only the fact he's not the first character that was added for promotion, Smash itself is basically one massive advertisement for Nintendo products.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I don't see why it's such a big deal Corri nis for promotion. There's not only the fact he's not the first character that was added for promotion, Smash itself is basically one massive advertisement for Nintendo products.
It's not a problem, it's that calling Wolf and Ridley "blatant promotion for the new Star Fox and Metroid games" is a horrible example to say that they'd be met with massive salt when Corrin is "blatant promotion for the new Fire Emblem game".

A lot of people wanted Wolf and/or Ridley in Smash. Not as many wanted another FE character after Roy, not even FE fans. Sure, the moveset for Corrin is fun and unique, but it's still another FE character, and we already have enough of them while DK and Metroid are stuck with only one or two protagonist characters.

Top Bottom