• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything new for Bowser from the direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I don't recall seeing anything new for Bowser specifically. Did anyone see anything new?

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
His up Smash now has a spin added to it. That double kick which is or was certainly a forward Smash can be done mid air as well. I think anyway.

His up or neutral air has been further upgraded as far as it's animation is concerned.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
5:04 - I think Bowser has a new jab: watch him hit the WFT with the 1-2, but the 2nd hit is more of a punch and sends her pretty far (considering it's a neutral-A).

6:59 - Looks like the D-Air does a lot more knockback as it launches toon link when it hits him.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
27:40 - Looks like F-air might have a *GASP* disjointed hitbox!!! Watch as claw lines slash the air fairly far from him.

It's never a good idea to draw conclusions about one character's abilities until after you've seen the rest of the cast to compare, but still, that range is GREAT news for Bowser.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
6:35 his recovery looks a lot better vertically
I was wondering about that. I haven't played Brawl in ages so I figured I might be mistaken, but glad that's the case. :D

Now if only it had super armor... *drool*

Ragna22

Smash Ace
During the Yellow Devil demonstration I noticed his down air which is a diving shell attack.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Forget where I saw it, but Bowser's up smash is at least visually different. Instead of him simply going on all four and jumping to hit anyone above him with his shell spikes, he spins while he does it. Maybe it's a multi-hit now.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I was surprised at how much height Bowser was getting during the Yellow Devil segment. Whirling Fortress definitely looks to have more vertical height, but his regular jumps looked surprisingly high as well.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Watch the Direct at 14:43. Bowsers no longer has that shell smack for a back air. It's become another double kick but mid air.

I'm going to miss that shell attack.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Watch the Direct at 14:43. Bowsers no longer has that shell smack for a back air. It's become another double kick but mid air.

I'm going to miss that shell attack.
HOLY ****!!!! HOW DID I MISS THAT?!

Sorry, but I'm not going to miss the shell attack one BIT, especially if that's what's replacing it. That comes out SUPER fast, ends quickly enough that we could do it multiple times during a single jump, looks very powerful and god willing, it won't leave Bowser flat on his back for a whole second if he lands while doing it.

Hey guys check this move out at 6:45 for bowser it looks like his up air
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUmVhX83gI
Yep, that looks to be his up air, only it seems to come out MUCH faster now.

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
The shell attack being replaced is something I really like. The only way to not get horrific landing lag with the shell was to use it directly along a full hop without fast falling. It was so restricting and had little use--the risk was too much.

I like that his recovery now gains more vertical distance. He jumps surprisingly high now, too. I'm loving this!

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The shell attack being replaced is something I really like. The only way to not get horrific landing lag with the shell was to use it directly along a full hop without fast falling. It was so restricting and had little use--the risk was too much.
Yeah, the shell was just way too risky and the F-air was a better bet most times anyway. Even ledge guarding with the shell could be stupidly risky.

I really, REALLY hope we don't sit here checking off a list of all of Bowser's corrected weaknesses from Brawl, only to find that it's all irrelevant because the rest of the cast has become that much better, heh...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The shell looked better.
I liked the look of it, too, but not the functionality.

It was a good attack when you could LAND it, but it could be a HUGE liability if you used it at the wrong time. Also, the recovery time while in the air was plenty long. The recovery time on his new B-air looks SUPER fast.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The shell looked better.
I liked the look of it, too, but not the functionality.
Speaking of Bowser's shell, it appears that his shell may act as a shield, similar to how Link and Toon Link's shield auto block projectiles.

Notice how Bowser doesn't flinch while he is shot in the back

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Speaking of Bowser's shell, it appears that his shell may act as a shield, similar to how Link and Toon Link's shield auto block projectiles.

Notice how Bowser doesn't flinch while he is shot in the back
Actually, that's the armor we're talking about. Notice Bowser's damage is still rising so it's not like his shell is "blocking" projectiles like Link's shield does.

The current theory is that Bowser has hitstun resistance to smaller projectiles. Until we see him take a projectile to the face, though, we can't really be sure.

Have we seen that happen at any point?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Actually, that's the armor we're talking about. Notice Bowser's damage is still rising so it's not like his shell is "blocking" projectiles like Link's shield does.

The current theory is that Bowser has hitstun resistance to smaller projectiles. Until we see him take a projectile to the face, though, we can't really be sure.

Have we seen that happen at any point
?
Oh okay I wasn't sure if we were talking about the same thing :laugh:

I haven't found any other instance of this. I'll try to rewatch the Direct to see if I can find something.

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
During the Yellow Devil demonstration I noticed his down air which is a diving shell attack.
Actually, it's probably just his normal Dair from Brawl. I know in Brawl I'd make Bowser heavy fall after using Dair. You reach the ground faster, hit harder... end lag still hurts, but hey.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Actually, it's probably just his normal Dair from Brawl. I know in Brawl I'd make Bowser heavy fall after using Dair. You reach the ground faster, hit harder... end lag still hurts, but hey.
His D-air now launches enemies when it hits them, apparently.

Diddy gets hit by it in the direct and it sends him flying, and that's before Bowser actually hits the ground.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
His D-air now launches enemies when it hits them, apparently.

Diddy gets hit by it in the direct and it sends him flying, and that's before Bowser actually hits the ground.
I want to say that happens in Brawl too when you fast fall + Dair, but I can't test that right now.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I want to say that happens in Brawl too when you fast fall + Dair, but I can't test that right now.
IIRC, it's a multi hit attack in Brawl that "drills" for repeated hits (like Yoshi's D-air). This one seemed to hit Diddy and just LAUNCH him.

In fact, it seems like ALL of Bowser's attacks launch people, something I have mixed feelings about...

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Bowser not taking hitstun from Megaman's buster shot is a property of the move itself, not Bowser. When Megaman fired the attack at Fox near the beginning of his debut trailer, Fox didn't suffer any hitstun either.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Bowser not taking hitstun from Megaman's buster shot is a property of the move itself, not Bowser. When Megaman fired the attack at Fox near the beginning of his debut trailer, Fox didn't suffer any hitstun either.
But in the most recent Direct Fox was seen taking knockback/hitstun from Mega Man's rabbit pellets.

@ Fastblade5035 Fastblade5035 : I can confirm that it does cause Bowser to drop down like Toon Link or Sonic's Dair.

Xigger

Smash Lord
How do we know this new D-air isn't his new down special? They function eerily the same. Was the classic down special shown in this direct?

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
How do we know this new D-air isn't his new down special? They function eerily the same. Was the classic down special shown in this direct?
We have seen Bowser Bomb plenty of times already, it was even in the original trailer before he gets hit by the giant spike on the 3D Land course. I believe I saw it in this video as well but I can't confirm that.

Xigger

Smash Lord
We have seen Bowser Bomb plenty of times already, it was even in the original trailer before he gets hit by the giant spike on the 3D Land course. I believe I saw it in this video as well but I can't confirm that.
I remember it then too: but I hear "under development, may change" too often for this game.
I'm just surprised no one thought that it might be his down special. It looks like his D-air, but functions like his down special. I'd think it would be weird to have a D-air and down special be the same move with a different animation.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856

Shök

Smash Champion
Smash_Brother is right. If you get caught in Bowser's Dair, you get hit multiple times and there is very little knockback.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
More Bowser clarification.

N-Air is has him swing his claws in a big circle. We've seen this before and it looks like he reaches even farther then last time we saw it.

Up air is the same leaping head butt as before. Though animated slightly differently seen during the Direct at 32:04.

It seems Bowser can still Bowser Bomb and attach himself to the ledge seen at 32:02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
5:04 - I think Bowser has a new jab: watch him hit the WFT with the 1-2, but the 2nd hit is more of a punch and sends her pretty far
Sure looks like his new Jab, and it looks awesome.

Heck, ssb4 Bowser seems awesome altogether.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
His down special hits harder, locks him into the attack and hopefully grants him super armor this time around.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman

GIF (half speed) of back air. It has a bit of ending lag.

It also has a pure vertical knockback trajectory, but that might be because of Smash Run enemies.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

It also has a pure vertical knockback trajectory, but that might be because of Smash Run enemies.
Looks like the same as his forward smash, but in the air. This should be really nice as a finisher. I love these kinds of aerial dropkicks characters like Mario and Squirtle had.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

I'm guessing that's because it's a smash run enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom