• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Anything Can Change! - The Chrom Social Thread (Now with a Proper Victory Theme!)

What should we call Chrom's infamous zero-to-death Soaring Slash suicide string?

• Total voters

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Chrom being given attention would make fans of the old FEs and fans of Three Houses angry and honestly that would make me even happier.
Can't really get behind that, really. :/

Especially since some of my favorite Fire Emblem characters are from older titles (Archanea especially).
Have to agree with Opossum Opossum . That's not really a good mindset to have. People antagonized and banded against FE fans enough when Corrin was revealed. I don't like seeing it happen within the FE fanbase too.

I too share beloved characters from other FE games. You already know I would love Chrom, but if I had an opportunity to get Alm as an Echo, I couldn't pass that up. That kind of difference shouldn't stop us from at least enjoying shared support for the same character, as long as nobody attacks each other for it.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
So here's a question. How would you react if Chrom got in not as an echo, but as a Wolf-esque semi-clone?
Very happy, honestly. I'm not the biggest fan of Echo Fighters, so the more unique a character, the better.

Have to agree with Opossum Opossum . That's not really a good mindset to have. People antagonized and banded against FE fans enough when Corrin was revealed. I don't like seeing it happen within the FE fanbase too.

I too share beloved characters from other FE games. You already know I would love Chrom, but if I had an opportunity to get Alm as an Echo, I couldn't pass that up. That kind of difference shouldn't stop us from at least enjoying shared support for the same character, as long as nobody attacks each other for it.
The way I see it, if you support Chrom and other FE characters, it just raises the chances of being happy if any of them make it in. It's not like these support threads affect the outcome of the roster, but rather to share our opinions on which characters we would like to see make it in. If Chrom gets in, that's great, if an older character gets in, that's great too.

Also, does anyone know a good build/strategy for Exalted Chrom in Heroes (the horseback one)? I just got one and was wanting to use him.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Very happy, honestly. I'm not the biggest fan of Echo Fighters, so the more unique a character, the better.

The way I see it, if you support Chrom and other FE characters, it just raises the chances of being happy if any of them make it in. It's not like these support threads affect the outcome of the roster, but rather to share our opinions on which characters we would like to see make it in. If Chrom gets in, that's great, if an older character gets in, that's great too.

Also, does anyone know a good build/strategy for Exalted Chrom in Heroes (the horseback one)? I just got one and was wanting to use him.
I mainly just use the Vanilla Kit + Reposition + "Whichever Horse Buff C-Slot I Need" and use him on my Cavalry Team. Having Frederick boost him with Hone Cavalry makes it all the better. :p Exalted Knight Chrom is just a great unit all around, though.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I mainly just use the Vanilla Kit + Reposition + "Whichever Horse Buff C-Slot I Need" and use him on my Cavalry Team. Having Frederick boost him with Hone Cavalry makes it all the better. :p Exalted Knight Chrom is just a great unit all around, though.
Thanks! I've been wanting a 5-Star Chrom for a long time and was elated to finally get one. Now it's time to get him to level 40. :grin:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Thanks! I've been wanting a 5-Star Chrom for a long time and was elated to finally get one. Now it's time to get him to level 40. :grin:
No problem!

I managed to get Exalted Knight Chrom on his debut banner with about sixty orbs, thankfully. Regular Chrom's been a staple of my team since I got him early on, serving as a physical tank and pseudo healer. Sad I never got Spring or Winter Chrom though, so no Chrom Emblem for me.

Here's my regular Chrom though.
Getting merges is a pain considering how bloated the red pool is, but I'm just waiting on a few thousand more feathers to get him to +5. Still need five more after that though. :p

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Can't really get behind that, really. :/

Especially since some of my favorite Fire Emblem characters are from older titles (Archanea especially).
Eh, your loss

Drop Fury for Brazen Atk/Def(or Atk/Spd if you want him to be fast) if you have it, very powerful when combined with his sword.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Believe in best lord, my fellow Shepherds! Wednesday could very well be "another day" as foretold by Chrom himself. This isn't his last chance, it's just his next one.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Eh, your loss

Drop Fury for Brazen Atk/Def(or Atk/Spd if you want him to be fast) if you have it, very powerful when combined with his sword.
If not wishing to engage in schadenfreude is a Loss then just call me Tim Buckley. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Title updated for relevance.

What do you think the odds are that we'll see Chrom announced as a playable character on Wednesday?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739

What do you think the odds are that we'll see Chrom announced as a playable character on Wednesday?
I believe the Chromfirmation is at hand. If we're getting multiple reveals this direct, I'd say Chrom is a frontrunner.

Inb4 they show off Robin's final smash and it's the same (probably not but that would be the worst timeline)

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

It depends on if they do a Part II for the character changes spotlight like it was in the reveal. If it does happen I can easily see them casually reveal more Echo character(s) like how they did with Daisy.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

If he's an Echo, I'd say he has a decent shot.

Honestly the prospect of a playable Chrom is almost more exciting to me than any of the realistic newcomers. :estatic:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Haven't seen much support for Chrom this time around but I'm still hype for him. Voted for him in the ballot.
I'm assuming people want him as an echo fighter, right?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Oh, Chrom on now, why am I not surprised to see a pun in the title?

Echos are a really interesting phenomenon. It feels like if they can feasibly fit into that role, they have a real chance to show up playable at any time because of how easy they are to make. Chrom is really just as likely to show up in the Direct as any other Echo, I'd say.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
sooo, i was playing some Awakening as of late and spent a couple of days with Ike in Smash 3DS as well
have any of you guys done a "proof of concept" of Chrom as an Echo Fighter yet?
unless you're interested on that idea, have a little guide i carefully crafted:
Echo Fighters Speculation Infograph.png
(click the thumbnail)

i love to see how far someone can go to justify Chrom as an Echo without going off road on how an Echo Fighter is justified in Ultimate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
sooo, i was playing some Awakening as of late and spent a couple of days with Ike in Smash 3DS as well
have any of you guys done a "proof of concept" of Chrom as an Echo Fighter yet?
unless you're interested on that idea, have a little guide i carefully crafted:
View attachment 155933
(click the thumbnail)

i love to see how far someone can go to justify Chrom as an Echo without going off road on how an Echo Fighter is justified in Ultimate.
The ideas I had for his Echo Specials are as follows:

Eruption changes the colors of its flames from blue to white. The move is renamed Awakening to reference the scene in Awakening where Chrom performs the Awakening Rite, bathing himself in Naga's flames to enhance the Falchion's power. Maybe make it so his flames don't hurt him like Ike's do at full power, at the cost of some damage.

Quick Draw is renamed to Luna. In Awakening, Chrom performs a very similar animation when using Luna. And considering Luna is half of Aether, it fits even better. Unlike Ike's Quick Draw, Luna actually moves Chrom through his opponent, referencing its ability to cut through enemy defenses, but has less knockback.

Aether remains as the Up Special, considering Chrom can use the skill as well. In the Two Falchions cutscene, Chrom performs a similar move in his fight against "Marth." The only difference is that Chrom doesn't throw his sword before he jumps. However, seeing as Lucina's Shield Breaker has a different animation than Marth's, but retains the same hitboxes, the same can be done here with Chrom and Ike.

Counter is Counter. Adjust the knockback angle and bam, echoed.

Final Smash doesn't need to be the same, as shown by Dark Pit, so Chrom's Final Smash has Frederick warp onto the stage, striking the foe with an axe as Chrom hits them with the Exalted Falchion. This move showcases both Chrom's bonds with his allies as well as Frederick's fierce loyalty toward his liege.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

Eruption changes the colors of its flames from blue to white. The move is renamed Awakening to reference the scene in Awakening where Chrom performs the Awakening Rite, bathing himself in Naga's flames to enhance the Falchion's power. Maybe make it so his flames don't hurt him like Ike's do at full power, at the cost of some damage.

Quick Draw is renamed to Luna. In Awakening, Chrom performs a very similar animation when using Luna. And considering Luna is half of Aether, it fits even better. Unlike Ike's Quick Draw, Luna actually moves Chrom through his opponent, referencing its ability to cut through enemy defenses, but has less knockback.

Aether remains as the Up Special, considering Chrom can use the skill as well. In the Two Falchions cutscene, Chrom performs a similar move in his fight against "Marth." The only difference is that Chrom doesn't throw his sword before he jumps. However, seeing as Lucina's Shield Breaker has a different animation than Marth's, but retains the same hitboxes, the same can be done here with Chrom and Ike.

Final Smash doesn't need to be the same, as shown by Dark Pit, so Chrom's Final Smash has Frederick warp onto the stage, striking the foe with an axe as Chrom hits them with the Exalted Falchion. This move showcases both Chrom's bonds with his allies as well as Frederick's fierce loyalty toward his liege.
this is pretty darn good :D

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
this is pretty darn good :D
Thanks! Granted, I do think there are a small chunk of Ike's moves that don't exactly fit Chrom (the second hit of his jab and a few of his throw animations) but I think they're small enough so that it doesn't seem completely out of place.

And hey, it's more fitting than Alph using the Hocotate ship. :p

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Thanks! Granted, I do think there are a small chunk of Ike's moves that don't exactly fit Chrom (the second hit of his jab and a few of his throw animations) but I think they're small enough so that it doesn't seem completely out of place.

And hey, it's more fitting than Alph using the Hocotate ship. :p
I don't think it's entirely unrealistic for them to change some throw and jab animations luckily, not like the properties will change too much. Either way...these next 35 hours will drag by really slow.

Also tbh Alph should have been an Echo while Louie was a skin for Olimar (and Brittany and Charlie as Alph skins too)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One day more.

Another day another destiny.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

That's freaking awesome.

My idea for a Chrom echo was to make him the same as Ike but make his attacks come out faster and with more stun-lock, but at the cost of weaker damage and knockback to make him a more combo-heavy character as opposed to Ike's brawler status. Yours is way more thought out than mine though, excellent kit!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's freaking awesome.

My idea for a Chrom echo was to make him the same as Ike but make his attacks come out faster and with more stun-lock, but at the cost of weaker damage and knockback to make him a more combo-heavy character as opposed to Ike's brawler status. Yours is way more thought out than mine though, excellent kit!
Thanks!

Honestly I'm not expecting a ton of changes if Chrom gets in as an echo, but that's just my preferred echo set. :p And then he can be further decloned in future Smash games.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Hey, so this worry popped into my head. With the possible exception of Daisy (whom we know nothing about) the existing echo fighters we have are...worrying for the future of echo fighters. Lucina and Dark Pit (ESPECIALLY the latter) have almost no differences from the character they are echoing, and so with that in mind...what if Chrom gets tossed aside simply because he'd need more changes from Ike (shorter hitboxes, faster frame data) to make sense?

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Hey, so this worry popped into my head. With the possible exception of Daisy (whom we know nothing about) the existing echo fighters we have are...worrying for the future of echo fighters. Lucina and Dark Pit (ESPECIALLY the latter) have almost no differences from the character they are echoing, and so with that in mind...what if Chrom gets tossed aside simply because he'd need more changes from Ike (shorter hitboxes, faster frame data) to make sense?
I mean, that's always a possibility. I try my best not to get my hopes to high to avoid the crushing disappointment.

Consider this though. Lucina's Falchion is already way shorter than what it canonically is to fit into the hitbox of Marth's Falchion, Female Robin is given the same exact body as Male Robin despite being smaller and more petite than Male Robin in official art, or that you can't grab enemies with Samus' tether beam in the Metroid games (aside from the shields of some enemies in Prime 3). Sakurai is willing to bend the rules a bit and not stay 101% faithful to the source material if it works well enough gameplay wise.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
A pretty crappy and hastily made thing I made, but to emphasize the Lucina's Falchion point.

https://i.imgur.com/wVYhqcH.png

This is a 3D render of Kozaki's official art for Lucina. Her Falchion is almost as tall as her.

https://i.imgur.com/57X1btL.png

In contrast, her Smash 4 model's Falchion is proportioned for a one-handed sword as opposed to a two-hander, ie. the exact same length as Marth's.

Changing Chrom's Falchion size to Ike's Ragnell isn't gonna be an issue if Sakurai wants him in.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I mean, that's always a possibility. I try my best not to get my hopes to high to avoid the crushing disappointment.

Consider this though. Lucina's Falchion is already way shorter than what it canonically is to fit into the hitbox of Marth's Falchion, Female Robin is given the same exact body as Male Robin despite being smaller and more petite than Male Robin in official art, or that you can't grab enemies with Samus' tether beam in the Metroid games (aside from the shields of some enemies in Prime 3). Sakurai is willing to bend the rules a bit and not stay 101% faithful to the source material if it works well enough gameplay wise.
I feel a bit more confident now. Thanks Reinhardt.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hopefully tomorrow, :ultchrom: will be a working emote.

:ultcelica:
:ultdecidueye:
:ultcrash:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Honestly I see Chrom being reveal first and we see Robin new final smash thats my opposite prediction.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I see Chrom being reveal first and we see Robin new final smash thats my opposite prediction.
It's funny, I actually had the opposite thought. It'd (hopefully) show Robin's new Final Smash, with the narrator rhetorically asking why Chrom isn't there, when Matt Mercer's voice breaks in yelling "Because my chance is today!"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
About eleven hours left until the Direct, Chromrades.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Shepherds... Friends... The war is over! The fell dragon's era of chaos has been averted! The Risen will trouble our world no more! You all know that I'm a simple man, never one for speeches or song... But you need to know this... All that is good and brave in me and what I have done is because of you! We have weathered a sea of horror, but we did it as one. And, finally, we have come to the inviting shores of a bright future. I know some of you will be returning home to your homes and families. This is good, though I will be most sorry to lose you. But ours is a fellowship that cannot be weakened by time or distance. As we walk toward a new and brighter future, let us think often on each other. And let's never forget what we have accomplished, here, today. Together.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Woot! Still a bit salty he actually has a unique idle stance and FS, but he's here at least.

Top Bottom