• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Anything Can Change! - The Chrom Social Thread (Now with a Proper Victory Theme!)

What should we call Chrom's infamous zero-to-death Soaring Slash suicide string?

• Total voters

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I'm with A Arthur97 in not wanting to see Tharja in Robin's final smash. If Chrom is stuck having Great Aether, though, I wouldn't mind if Frederick and/or Lissa were in Robin's Final Smash.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
If Pair Up or Grima isn't possible I suppose Robin doing something similar to Fire Emblem Warriors and attacking with all the magic elements at once is also a possibility for their final smash since for the most part they are known for using all types of magic in spinoff/crossover games (with a preference for lightning though).

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Personally I'd rather Robin not have Grima as his Final Smash. The whole point of his Awakening arc was that he wasn't bound to his fate to become Grima, so having him become Grima in what should be his ultimate attack just sort of rubs me the wrong way.
Hmm, I kind of felt the same way about Lucina having different hair colours in her palette swaps. In Awakening, her hair is always blue, regardless of whom her mother is--whereas other children characters shared their father's hair colour. The hair colour change made perfect sense with Robin, since he/she is a customisable unit. That said, I've always felt uncomfortable using Lucina's other palette swaps, simply due to the hair colour.

That said, if Robin's Final Smash stays as "Pair Up" after Chrom is playable, then I'd want his partner to be Morgan. Male Robin's FS would have female Morgan--and vice versa. That would arguably be the most fitting, since Morgan is Robin's child. At least, I think so.

Or, if they wanted to borrow from Fire Emblem Warriors, they could have Robin stick his Levin Sword into the ground, then begin to charge it with electricity. As he does so, enemies are pulled toward the Levin Sword and damaged repeatedly. Once it overloads, the Levin Sword explodes, creating a pillar of lightning that Star KO's whomever got caught in the electric field. After the Final Smash, Robin gets a new, unused Levin Sword.

But back to Chrom...

I'd love to see Lissa in his Final Smash, personally, but if he's an echo of Ike, he'll probably just have Ike's Final Smash.
Despite being an Echo Fighter of Pit, Dark Pit has a completely different Final Smash. That said, it's entirely possible that Chrom's Final Smash would not be Great Aether, if he were an Echo Fighter of Ike. Although, I do see it as the most likely choice. Chrom could simply have Naga's gold-green flames instead of Yune's blue flames. Also, unlike Ike, whom holds his sword straight when plunging to the ground, Chrom could spin as he goes down. This would reflect upon his game.

Also, I found this. Skip to 8:30. I haven't played Awakening in a long time, so I totally forgot about this scene. But it seems Lucina can perform Aether. And since Chrom taught her how to fight, it would make sense that he could perform it as well.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Lucina is kind of a spoiler. They don't exactly hide that she's Chrom's daughter.

Also, please, no Tharja.
Lucina appears as “Marth” on the Awakening cover art and she drops the act rather quickly. Grima is more of “spoiler territory” due to its status as the game’s final boss.

And yes, Tharja is a very real possibility although Morgan would be the cheapest and easiest alternative as either part of Robin’s FS or even as Robin’s Echo Fighter.

I’d rather have Grima as his FS and Morgan as the Echo Fighter.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Lucina appears as “Marth” on the Awakening cover art and she drops the act rather quickly. Grima is more of “spoiler territory” due to its status as the game’s final boss.

And yes, Tharja is a very real possibility although Morgan would be the cheapest and easiest alternative as either part of Robin’s FS or even as Robin’s Echo Fighter.
Heroes also let that cat out of the bag.

Really, cause it seems like a really bad idea.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Altais Altais ...what? Lucina’s hair color matching the characters she was referencing was the best part about her in Smash 4. The alt palettes in Smash have been very shy about changing hair colors so seeing that trend change with her was a breath of fresh air.

Many of the current alts could benefit from better matching hair colors. Marth’s Leif alt, for example, should’ve had brown hair and so on.

Eliwood or Roy running around with Ninian’s palette would have been nice. Chrom could get Frederick’s complete with matching hair color.

A Arthur97 ..Yeah...both Grima!Robins and...Zelgius.

Last edited:

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
Well, we’re just under 2 weeks away from the 4 year anniversary of Robin’s reveal and Chrom’s deconfirmation. Maybe this July 14th will be different?

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Assuming he's an echo of Ike, I wonder how they would go about announcing him.

If I had to guess, probably via a standard update to the website alongside screenshots and a mini-trailer, similar to how veterans were revealed during the lead-up to Smash 4. Or maybe he'd be part of another character's trailer, like how Lucina was in Robin's trailer, and Dark Pit was in Palutena's trailer...

I don't know. Echoes are weird.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean on one hand Daisy didn't get her own trailer. On the other hand neither did the Inklings, really...theirs was just a teaser for the game in general and not like the traditional trailers.

On the third hand not having Chrom get his glorious cinematic revenge on Captain Falcon and his own memeable tag line would be an incredible injustice.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean on one hand Daisy didn't get her own trailer. On the other hand neither did the Inklings, really...theirs was just a teaser for the game in general and not like the traditional trailers.

On the third hand not having Chrom get his glorious cinematic revenge on Captain Falcon and his own memeable tag line would be an incredible injustice.
Better yet, can he beat up Ike?

Altais

Smash Champion
Just what I was about to say. I think that would be the perfect way to reveal Chrom. And after defeating Captain Falcon, Chrom is confronted by Alm and Celica. Before they can gang up on him, however, Marth and Ike back him up. Then the trailer ends.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord

Well, Smash 4’s trailers ate up a chunk of the budget so I could see them cutting down on those and direct that money into improving the game itself. Even if we don’t get a cinematic trailer, the internet will take care of making the memes.

As for Daisy, she was part of the big game reveal and the attention was put on Ridley. We can only hope that Chrom gets a bit more than that.

That reminds me...10 more days until the 4th anniversary of Robin’s reveal and Chrom’s disgrace!

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Of course, what if they decide not to announce most of the echos and just keep them hidden?

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
That's also a possibility, with Daisy's reveal just being a one-off pre-release reveal.

But I do think we'll see at least one echo tease, a-la Dark Pit in Palutena's reveal trailer.

Exalted Prince

Smash Rookie
Today marks the anniversary of Chrom’s disconfirmation as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U.

I may seem new to Smash Boards, but I lurked among the forums since the leak of SSB4 that featured Chrom and other newcomers. Eventually, it ended up being outdated, as it was correct until Robin’s trailer was shown. I was wondering what was going on even after the trailer ended, and then came the disappointment that I saw when he ended up being a Final Smash instead of a playable character. There were good things that did come out of it. With Ike getting a Chrom color, the Mii Fighter getting a Chrom costume, and you got Chrom being represented into the game with Robin’s Final Smash and victory pose.

There was also the fighter ballot for SSB4. Despite not being playable in the game, my vote still went for Chrom for a chance he’d be DLC since his model was already in the game. I thought I took a picture of it, but it seems like I didn’t. But I remember saying in my vote to consider Chrom as an Ike clone. My vote may have been a waste, but it doesn’t hurt to try. Then you had the news of Bayonetta being planned as a DLC character two weeks after the fighter ballot, which meant that it could be used for the next SSB. So I guess my vote wasn’t that much of a waste.
Then you had the new SSB introduce the branding of clones as echoes. When I was checking out the character trailers, I decided to check Robin and found no sight of Chrom in his trailer. The idea of an Ike echo was a possibility, and many discussions out there also thought the same as well.

But from the discussions I’ve seen, there are still people who still shut down Chrom’s chances. Even though he’d be an Ike echo and wouldn’t take anyone’s spot on the roster with less development time on him compared to an actual newcomer.

Since it would be a big post, right below you have evidence of Chrom’s chance as an Ike echo and arguments against his inclusion, based on information from Super Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem.

[Evidence]
Even though it doesn’t guarantee him as a playable character, these are just the pieces of evidence that I’ve noticed that supports his chance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Robin’s Final Smash – So far, they haven’t shown his Final Smash in the Nintendo Direct and on Robin’s character trailer. There are also other Final Smashes that haven’t been shown, but Robin being one of them is a bit odd. Compared to Corrin’s trailer, which shows both genders and their Final Smash, they also could have done the same for Robin. He’s also one of the characters that weren’t in the demo for SSBU. If he was included, it would have revealed his Final Smash. The Fire Emblem characters that were used to showcase was Marth, Ike, and Corrin. With the success of Fire Emblem Awakening and its revival to the franchise, wouldn’t you showcase Robin instead of Corrin? Although Corrin being showcased over Robin might not mean much, it still prevents them from showing his Final Smash.

Ike’s color – This one doesn’t really mean a whole lot, as you have both versions of Ike. But there still could have been a Chrom color for Ike, provided he wasn’t playable. If we look at Mario’s colors, he ended up getting costumes which replaced his colors. One of them was Wario which he had since SSB64. Since you already have Wario as playable, you don’t really need that color anymore. But he still has his Waluigi color because he’s an Assist Trophy in the game. There are also people who think that there could be more colors for the game because of Ridley’s eighth color not being Meta Ridley and the possibility of being a placeholder. But I see Ridley being the special character of SSBU, having eight colors for Meta Ridley. The previous special characters were Wario in SSBB and Little Mac in SSB4 (whose colors been reduced to eight in the SSBU demo).

Palutena’s Guidance – In the guidance for Robin, Chrom made an appearance in the conversation. You had Viridi saying how he’s similar to Ike and that he’d be a carbon copy of him (this is different in the Japanese version where she says he’ll overlap with Ike). There’s also the error of Palutena saying that he doesn’t have Aether, even though he can learn it (the animation isn’t the same as Aether though). You even have a cutscene from his game where he does a vertical jump before attacking Lucina with his sword.

Mii Fighter Costume – Chrom was one of the characters that ended up as a costume for the Mii Fighter. I’ve seen people stated that some of the characters that got a costume could have been because of the fighter ballot. But since he was already a Final Smash, I wouldn’t know if there were people who’d still vote him despite already being in the game. The costume was part of wave 3. It might not mean anything at all, but wouldn’t you expect a costume of him in the base game since he was represented in the game? The only Fire Emblem costumes were him and the Black Knight.

Sakurai’s choice as the Awakening rep – In an interview, Sakurai said that he played all the way through Fire Emblem Awakening considered Chrom to the roster, but found him not be unique and similar to Marth and Ike. Then he ended up replacing Chrom with Robin as the next choice as an Awakening rep. As an Ike echo, he would fulfill the inclusion which he was originally intended for the previous game before he wasn’t considered anymore.

Robin’s Trailer – “I suppose I’ll get my chance… another day.” This was referring to the fact that he wasn’t going to become playable for SSB4. After that quote, it shows him he does get a role in SSB4, but not a major one as he appears in Robin’s Final Smash. The quote can also be referred for the next SSB, in which he gets his chance as an Ike echo.

Chrom’s model – As you have existing assets from SSB4, such as the models of the playable characters and assist trophies that they have to port to SSBU and upgrade them to be more detailed on the Nintendo Switch. They also have to port the model of Chrom (which is shown to be detailed compared to the other non-playable characters), as he was used for Robin’s Final Smash and victory pose. Doc Louis is shown in Little Mac’s victory poses in the SSBU demo, which they ported from SSB4. However, anything can change during the development process, and they could end up upgrade his role from Final Smash to Ike’s echo.

These are all the pieces of evidence that supports Chrom to become a playable character as an Ike echo for SSBU. I’m not saying because of this evidence, he’s going to be playable in SSBU, just that it supports his chance. It’s all just speculation, as with Dark Samus, who doesn’t appear as an Assist Trophy in the SSBU demo, as well the color being removed from Samus.

[Arguments]
I’ve seen some discussion on why Chrom shouldn’t appear, even as an Ike echo.

Relevance – Since Fire Emblem Awakening is already represented with Robin and the game was released in 2013, which is no longer in the spotlight, Chrom himself however still is. After his debut, he appeared in Fire Emblem Fates DLC. You also have Project X Zone 2, which is a crossover of Namco, Capcom, Sega and Nintendo, which featured him with Lucina. Then there was the Fire Emblem crossover with Shin Megami Tensei, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, where he was the Mirage partner of the main character Itsuki Aoi. After the crossovers, you have spin-offs. In Fire Emblem Heroes, Chrom has more than one variation, having four variations, being one of the few characters to have that amount, and the second to reach that amount after Lyn (the others being Camilla, Takumi, and Tiki who just got their fourth variation in July 10, 2018). In Fire Emblem Warriors, he was the first character to be used as a teaser for the game. The character isn’t being ignored at all and is still acknowledged, and this is all due to Fire Emblem Awakening.

Popularity – In terms of his popularity in Fire Emblem Awakening, there’s a Japanese popularity poll which ranks him #1 on the male side (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html), this poll would be used for the Summer Scramble DLC (avatar and kids excluded). You also have the “Choose Your Legends” poll from 2017 which ranks him as #4 on the male side and #8 overall (if you combine Marth from both of his games, he’s #5 / #9). He's also one of the few Fire Emblem characters to get an amiibo, to be made for and released along side with Fire Emblem Warriors. He’s still a popular character since his debut.

3 Awakening reps – The only Fire Emblem game to have more than one rep is Awakening with Robin and Lucina. In terms of taking a roster spot, it’s one, as Lucina is an echo of Marth. With Chrom, you’d have three Awakening reps, but one unique rep as he wouldn’t be taking a spot on the roster as an Ike echo. His addition wouldn’t increase the roster number. Robin is still the only Fire Emblem character that’s representing Awakening as a unique character, with Chrom and Lucina being an echo of existing Fire Emblem characters that represents the other games. The representation of Awakening shouldn’t be that much of a problem, as the game saved the franchise (it was supposed to be the last in the series).

Too many Fire Emblem characters – With Chrom’s addition, that will make Fire Emblem have seven characters, much more than The Legend of Zelda. However, when it comes to the roster, Chrom and Lucina aren’t taking anyone’s spot. It will still be six The Legend of Zelda characters and five Fire Emblem characters in terms of the roster numbers.

Marth / Lucina echo – Some people see him as a Marth echo than an Ike echo because he’s the father of Lucina who is an echo of Marth. The reason Lucina fights like Marth is because she imitates him in Awakening. Chrom is a descendant of Marth, but he fights like Ike (he can also learn the move Aether). He’s basically a hybrid of Marth and Ike. There’s also the Palutena’s Guidance where he is said to be similar to Ike. Therefore, he’d be an Ike echo, not a Marth echo.

In closing, anything can change. He could be playable, he might not be. He’s my favorite Nintendo character I’d like to see in the game, as there are other people who have their own favorites that they’d also like to see in the game. My post isn’t meant to change views of other people. Only to show evidence and arguments that supports his chance to be playable in SSBU to the ones who disapproves the character. I hope to see if he’ll get his chance this time around.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I don't think the smash devs has any problems spoiling thing since other games like Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Xenoblade Chronicles has their stuff spoiled in smash as well. So I wouldn't put it past them if they had Robin summon the fell dragon's head as part of his final smash if that is what they are planning to do; even Fire Emblem Heroes have both Robins doing it now.

Also, I would love it if Chrom's final smash had him bring in Lissa and Frederick as part of his 'Pair Up' attack. Though realistically if he is an Echo Fighter of Ike he would probably just use Great Aether just because that would be easier for the devs to do.
If it gives Fredrick more appearances, then I'm all for it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I'm fully anticipating Chrom to have Frederick in his Final Smash if he gets in. It's totally in character for Frederick to just swoop in out of nowhere and help his liege. Bonus points if he yells "Pick a god and pray!"

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Honestly I'm fully anticipating Chrom to have Frederick in his Final Smash if he gets in. It's totally in character for Frederick to just swoop in out of nowhere and help his liege. Bonus points if he yells "Pick a god and pray!"
I want this very much.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I gotta support. Chrom is such a lovable dork. Shame that Awakening had three great protagonists to choose from because the reception for him won't be very warm. He still might actually be more likely than an Alm or Celica Echo just because he has a pre-existing Smash model and a stronger fanbase.

D

Deleted member

Opossum, can you add me on the list?
I always thought Chrom would be cool and considering clones are more popular due to echo-fighters, count me in as a supporter.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It's certainly odd that he's lacking that pallet. Though, it could just not have been included in the demo much like the Meta Ridley costume.

Still, if Mario and Wario can have each other's pallet, then Ike can have the Chrom colors and Chrom can still be playable.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Lately I've been typing up Palutena's Guidances for characters that I want in Ultimate as a fun little dialogue writing exercise. I figured I'd share the one I made for Chrom.

Viridi: "Well look who decided to show up."

Pit: "Oh hey, it's Chrom! Looks like he got his chance after all!"

Lissa*: "He sure did, and you can bet he won't waste it either."

Palutena: "Oh? And who might you be?"

Lissa: "Me? Oh, I'm Lis- oh wait, hold on, Frederik will lecture me for hours if I don't get this right. *ahem* I am Lissa, third in line for the throne of Exalt of the Halidom of Ylisse."

Pit: "Uuh, do you... need to see a doctor for that?"

Palutena: "She's saying she's Chrom's younger sister, Pit."

Pit: "Oooh, well why didn't you just say so?"

Viridi: "Well, Pit's illiteracy aside, why are you here, Lissa?"

Lissa: "Well, originally I was going to help out my brother by digging some pitfalls around the stage, or maybe sliding a frog down the back of Pit's tunic. Buuut, Chrom told me that wasn't very sporting. So, I figured if he wants a fair fight, I'd come and tell you about how he fights."

Pit: "Really? That would be gre- wait, what was that about frogs?"

Palutena: "Oh? Do tell, Lissa. What kind of strategies does your brother like to use?"

Lissa: "He doesn't have any."

Viridi: "Well isn't that helpful."

Lissa: "Let me explain: Chrom taught himself how to wield a sword, so his style is pretty unrefined. Before he met Robin, his only 'strategy' was to charge at whatever we were fighting and hope I could keep up with him long enough to heal him. He's gotten a little better since we found Robin snoozing in the grass, but he's still pretty reckless. He likes to swing his sword in wide arcs, and he's got a mean sword arm, so it'll definitely leave a mark if you catches you off guard."

Palutena: "Hmm, sounds like you'll want to focus on dodging those swings and then punishing him when he misses you, Pit."

Lissa: "That's the idea! Y'know, now that I think about it, Chrom's style isn't that different from that Ike guy's."

Viridi: "I told you!"

Pit: "Really? That doesn't sound very princely."

Lissa: "Trust me, my brother is cool and all, but there's nothing 'princely' about him. He destroys walls in training, cooks food that makes people throw up, eats with his hands, and did I mention how tongue-tied he gets around women? That's why we have our older sister, Emmeryn, to take care of the politics while Chrom, myself, Robin and the rest of the Shepherds keep Ylisse safe."

Palutena: "That's very noble of you, Lissa. So do you fight as well?"

Lissa: "Yup! I'm mainly a healer, but I also have this big ol' axe to swing around. In fact, if Chrom grabs a Smash Ball, he'll summon me so we can unleash our secret brother-sister technique!"

Pit: "Oh, is uh... that so?"

Lissa: "Uh huh! Well, I'd better go now. See ya, Pit! If we see each-other again, I'll probably be helping Chrom beat you up! Buh bye!"

Pit: "Uh... bye..."

*I'm of the opinion that Lissa will be in Chrom's Final Smash if he gets Pair Up, but I could also see it being Frederik like others have suggested.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I’m very hopeful for Chrom’s addition. In fact, I’m almost completely sure of it! If I’m not wrong, he did well in the ballot, right? And we all know the ballot is more for Ultimate than anything else.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I support my boi Chrom.

I think he is Highly Likely for a few reasons

1) He’s popular, which Sakurai seems to be looking at in his choices more so this time around

2) He can easily be an echo

3) Ike went back to his slimmer and less bulky design...hmmmm...? Chrom is a slimmer hero with similar proportions to returning Ike, and Ike lost his Chrom costume. I feel they made the change so Chrom could easily fit his body type while pleasing fans.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I can see Frederick and Lissa joining in as his FS. There’s also the lower possibility of him summoning Masked Marth and do an attack referencing the Awakening cover art like in Project X Zone 2.

I would like it if he could also bring the Carrot Axe and Sack o’ Gifts and incorporate both in a unique moveset.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I see a lot of people saying that Chrom could be an echo of Ike. As much as I would be ok with that, it just wouldn't make sense. Falchion isn't even close to as long or heavy as Ragnell, and although Chrom likely wouldn't be as agile as Marth or Lucina, it would just look weird to see him swinging around a one handed sword the same way you would use a two handed sword. Also Chrom using Eruption would look a bit weird, just saying. If our favorite lord is getting in, and I believe he is, he's not going to be an echo fighter most likely.

Edit: Mayyyyyyybe he could be an echo of Roy if he is indeed an echo fighter, but that still carries with it the oddities of him using Flare Blade, though I guess everything else could work.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The title actually reminds me of FNAF 4. Every time the kid gets scared he curls up in a ball and cries then says "Tomorrow is another day"

Calane

Smash Ace
I see a lot of people saying that Chrom could be an echo of Ike. As much as I would be ok with that, it just wouldn't make sense. Falchion isn't even close to as long or heavy as Ragnell, and although Chrom likely wouldn't be as agile as Marth or Lucina, it would just look weird to see him swinging around a one handed sword the same way you would use a two handed sword. Also Chrom using Eruption would look a bit weird, just saying. If our favorite lord is getting in, and I believe he is, he's not going to be an echo fighter most likely.

Edit: Mayyyyyyybe he could be an echo of Roy if he is indeed an echo fighter, but that still carries with it the oddities of him using Flare Blade, though I guess everything else could work.
I suppose they could fix the problem by just making Chrom a faster, but weaker Ike. If his attacks were quicker and felt less heavy, then I don't think it would look too weird at all.

As for Eruption, I guess they'd just have to change out the blue fire for something else. From what I've seen, his special attacks in Fire Emblem Warriors seem to have a lightning effect on them, so maybe they'd change it to lightning instead.

I think Chrom being an Ike echo could work.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Ike is my main so I won't mind having another character that plays similarly to him. My attention is going to Isaac always as my most wanted sword fighter but I won't mind having echo Chrom. I made this as I see it as a possibility thanks to Viridi in Smash 4

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I feel like Robin's Final Smash should still be Pair Up. It was a core mechanic that was introduced in the same game as they were, so it's fitting, especially with how the game expresses the importance of bonds, among other things. Having Grima as his Final Smash is out too, for previously stated reasons. I would suggest that a random soldier would be in Chrom's place, but that wouldn't really do the Final Smash enough justice. I would also suggest that Chrom could still be in the Final Smash but in the form of an Einherjar instead, but I'm not too sure about that. It's a tricky problem.

Final Smash aside, what will we do about Chrom's appearance in one of Robin's victory screen animations? Granted, they could always change them so that they have new ones entirely, but let's assume that they don't. What becomes of Chrom? Does the Chrom in Robin's victory screen get a palette swap? Does he get replaced by another character? Or does he just not appear at all?

Nonetheless, I really like what you did for Chrom's special moves, utilizing both mechanics and skills from the game, particularly with his Down-B being the convoy mechanic instead of another counter. It really helps distinguish himself from the other Fire Emblem characters so that the "just another swordfighter" argument falls apart. The overall moveset is pretty solid too. You have my support!

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I suppose they could fix the problem by just making Chrom a faster, but weaker Ike. If his attacks were quicker and felt less heavy, then I don't think it would look too weird at all.

As for Eruption, I guess they'd just have to change out the blue fire for something else. From what I've seen, his special attacks in Fire Emblem Warriors seem to have a lightning effect on them, so maybe they'd change it to lightning instead.

I think Chrom being an Ike echo could work.
Yeah I mean, again, I wouldn't mind, it could definitely work. I guess I just find it odd, they'd have to change a lot of frame data. No matter what, I'll be happy to see him, but I do hope Chrom is unique though, or even a semi-clone.

I feel like Robin's Final Smash should still be Pair Up. It was a core mechanic that was introduced in the same game as they were, so it's fitting, especially with how the game expresses the importance of bonds, among other things. Having Grima as his Final Smash is out too, for previously stated reasons. I would suggest that a random soldier would be in Chrom's place, but that wouldn't really do the Final Smash enough justice. I would also suggest that Chrom could still be in the Final Smash but in the form of an Einherjar instead, but I'm not too sure about that. It's a tricky problem.

Final Smash aside, what will we do about Chrom's appearance in one of Robin's victory screen animations? Granted, they could always change them so that they have new ones entirely, but let's assume that they don't. What becomes of Chrom? Does the Chrom in Robin's victory screen get a palette swap? Does he get replaced by another character? Or does he just not appear at all?

Nonetheless, I really like what you did for Chrom's special moves, utilizing both mechanics and skills from the game, particularly with his Down-B being the convoy mechanic instead of another counter. It really helps distinguish himself from the other Fire Emblem characters so that the "just another swordfighter" argument falls apart. The overall moveset is pretty solid too. You have my support!
I feel like Pair Up would be just fine if Chrom is replaced by a random Shepherd, heck it could even contain multiple Shepherds in a rotation for all we know. It would still retain its faithfulness to the source game. And I think the simple solution is just to remove Chrom from the victory poses, just wouldn't make sense for him to be there.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I feel like Pair Up would be just fine if Chrom is replaced by a random Shepherd, heck it could even contain multiple Shepherds in a rotation for all we know. It would still retain its faithfulness to the source game.
Makes sense, I could actually see that happening.

And I think the simple solution is just to remove Chrom from the victory poses, just wouldn't make sense for him to be there.
I'd prefer that they didn't since the bond between the two is a part of Robin's character, but if that's what it takes for Chrom to be in the game, then I'll happily trade up some animations for his inclusion.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Makes sense, I could actually see that happening.

I'd prefer that they didn't since the bond between the two is a part of Robin's character, but if that's what it takes for Chrom to be in the game, then I'll happily trade up some animations for his inclusion.

Speaking of victory animations, though, I wonder what Chrom's own animations would be. Maybe reaching down and helping the camera up to its feet? Heheh, anyway, I'm betting that, if not Chrom, we'll get some sort of reveal pretty soon. So far the Ultimate website has only been giving us things we've already seen (well, the soundtracks are new, but those aside, nothing new) and I bet they're padding out time to give us an end of the month reveal.

Altais

Smash Champion
If Robin's Final Smash remained as Pair-Up, then I think Anna would be the best choice. Given how long she's been in the Fire Emblem series, I think she at least deserves that much. Furthermore, Awakening is the first Fire Emblem game in which Anna is actually playable. That said, what better way to celebrate her first playable appearance as Robin's partner?

This is exactly why I think Chrom would be an excellent Echo Fighter of Ike. Chrom's sword would be shorter and weaker than Ike's, but the lower knockback would allow for more juggling. Basically, he could be a combo-heavy version of Ike.

As for the awkwardness in attacks, they could easily tweak Chrom's animations so that they better suit his character, as they did with Daisy. For instance, Chrom's fighting stance doesn't have to be exactly the same as Ike's; he could stand and run similarly to how he does in Fire Emblem Warriors. Also, unlike Ike, Chrom could use only one hand for Eruption. As for the flames, he could use Naga's gold-green flames instead of Yune's blue flames. Lastly, his Quick Draw could look like the move he uses in the below video, at 0:10. Unlike Ike's Quick Draw, which knocks the enemy away, Chrom's Quick Draw could stun the enemy, allowing him to follow-up with a jab or tilt.

Top Bottom