• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nintendolover187

Smash Cadet
This is a fantastic post! I'd also like to apologize for my above posts, there weren't on topic and started an argument. I left some comments for some frustrated folks at nintendo everything earlier, as well. Anyway, excellent post, and good luck to is!
No problem you apologized ( no disrespect intended)

Enloc

Smash Cadet
Well said, Chromvoy. Also, love the username. If at any point I came across as seeming like I disapprove of Lucina and Robin (or if I have sounded inflammatory), then I apologize, because I was stoked beyond belief to see them in the trailer and cannot wait to give them a whirl. My mind was blown when I thought we were getting 3 FE reps at once and I couldn't quite process all the awesome. It was kind of a letdown to find out after the fact that this wasn't the case, because unlike other deconfirmations where Sakurai usually immediately says "This character is an assist and not playable", there wasn't really anything like that until IGN apparently got confirmation from Nintendo.

And I too dream of a Marth x Ike x Chrom fight. It would just be really cool to see the main lords all in one spot and they definitely don't have to all be the same.

Can't promise I'll be too useful on Twitter because I have 0 connections there and it confounds me but I'll be haunting Tumblr since that's where I'm most entrenched.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
(Okay, this post turned out longer than I imagined at first, but I guess I got carried away. Without further ado...)

Lots of discussion around here, even though Chrom was disconfirmed. Impressive how you don't give up on the possibility of DLC, even though my pessimistic tendencies would be telling to not even bother trying. Anyway, I should start by wishing you all good luck.

So, I dropped in here to say some people have been misinterpreting Sakurai's words and calling him hypocrite or illogical, even though they're missing some crucial details.

We all know Fire Emblem: Awakening was a big thing last year (2012 in Japan). The main protagonists of the story are Chrom, Robin (the player's avatar) and Lucina. Of all those, Sakurai chose the latter two, even though Chrom is undeniably the main lord and protagonist, being the character the player has to bring along in every mission.

Sakurai explicitly told his reasons. Keyword here is "his", implying subjectivity. He's the game designer, the director of the game: the main creative force behind it. As a consequence of existing conflicting opinions among people, it's natural not everyone will agree with.

Of both Chrom and Robin, he chose the latter using similar arguments as people had been using, me included: Chrom was another swordsman, while Robin fit into the "Magic Knight" sort of character. Fitting the former, we already had Smash veterans Marth and Ike, both also from the Fire Emblem series. The latter had magic alongside swordplay.
At the first glance, which stands out more? That was Sakurai's question. Of Chrom and Robin, which would give that oomph regarding the roster's variety? Would it be another swordsman (with blue hair)? Or would it be a character focusing more on magic? Most people would agree on the latter.

From the perspective of many Fire Emblem players/fans, it almost would seem that there was something lacking regarding the series' characters. Both Marth and Ike are swordsmen (even though they have very distinct styles without a doubt). However, there is more to Fire Emblem than just swordsmen. There are archers and there are mages. Robin brings magic to the field and is the first Fire Emblem character in Smash that doesn't solely use a sword.

If you were to see it from the perspective of someone who never touched a Fire Emblem game before, they could get a wrong idea of what the series is about. How can other series offer many diverse characters, yet all that Fire Emblem has are swordsmen? With Robin, people who never played Fire Emblem will see there's more to Fire Emblem than just (blue-haired) swordsmen.

Sometimes it may not look like it and it surely varies between each individual, but first impressions are important. Robin has a more impacting first impression than Chrom does, especially after Marth and Ike had been revealed.

So far, all newcomers have something that makes them stand out from the remaining cast. That's the direction Sakurai is going, like it or not. You have the Villager from Animal Crossing who fights with random stuff, you have the unexpected Wii Fit Trainer who fights with Yoga poses while delivering lines you'd hear at a gym, you have Little Mac's boxing style, Rosalina's Luma and so on. Robin does bring something new, as I mentioned before: ability to use swords and magic. You won't find that on any other character in this game, will you?

Faced with such a philosophy, Chrom was doomed to not being playable, even if, without a doubt, he could bring something new to the gameplay. I'm not denying that and never did. However, it's like I said, first impressions are important. Newcomers here all brought a feeling of NEW to them. A feeling of freshness compared to other characters.

So... all this talk about first impressions, uniqueness, variety, oomph and impact... What about Lucina? Isn't she just a Marth clone? Indeed, she doesn't fit the same bill as other newcomers. She's probably the clone character that is the most similar to the character based from. It's really saying something when the differences between Mario and Dr. Mario or Link and Young Link in Melee are greater than the ones seen between Marth and Lucina in this new game.

However, Sakurai stated how she was "a lucky newcomer". In other words: she's an exception to what could be an otherwise universal rule or philosophy regarding newcomers as I've mentioned above. It all makes more sense when considering she was meant to be just an alternate costume for Marth down to applying changes to the model, voice and name displayed. The developers decided to make her something a little more than that by taking an existing character (Marth) and do minute changes.

Compared to the other newcomers, the resources spent on her were certainly much lower. There was less work necessary in designing her and no need to do any complications, since most of the work for her (modelling, texturing; not the animations since she uses the same as Marth's) has already been done so she would work as originally intended (Marth costume). I would even dare to say this could have even been done on the team's spare time or something similar.

Lucina only got in because the developers felt like it and because it was something very easy to do and likely wouldn't affect the game in the grand scheme. All of this to say that Lucina is on an entirely different boat as the other newcomers from a development point of view. Given the circumstances, anything that can be said about other newcomers can't be said for Lucina, and vice-versa. Lucina wasn't planned as her own character in the first place. Comparing her to the other newcomers is, for the lack of a better word, unfair or, perhaps, illogical.

This is all my opinionated analysis on why Chrom couldn't make the cut and why I think it will be a tough challenge for the Chrom fanbase to make him a DLC character. There are undoubtedly many creative ways to implement a moveset and fighting style to Chrom. He could have his own mechanics and have his share of unique and iconic moves, but what I explained above also counts a lot on what could affect a character's chance to earn a spot in the roster. More than some people might think.

All of this said, good luck on achieving your goal. You will need it!

PS - In regards to Robin's Final Smash in which Chrom teams up with him/her to attack the foe. We call all agree we could have another Toon Link-Alfonzo situation in which Chrom would be replaced by another character if he was in battle as well. Another swordsman like Lon'qu could use the same animations as Chrom for the attack. This would, of course, be included on the Chrom DLC.

TL;DR - I know it's long, but it really would be best if you took your time to read it. ;)

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
(Okay, this post turned out longer than I imagined at first, but I guess I got carried away. Without further ado...)

Lots of discussion around here, even though Chrom was disconfirmed. Impressive how you don't give up on the possibility of DLC, even though my pessimistic tendencies would be telling to not even bother trying. Anyway, I should start by wishing you all good luck.

So, I dropped in here to say some people have been misinterpreting Sakurai's words and calling him hypocrite or illogical, even though they're missing some crucial details.

We all know Fire Emblem: Awakening was a big thing last year (2012 in Japan). The main protagonists of the story are Chrom, Robin (the player's avatar) and Lucina. Of all those, Sakurai chose the latter two, even though Chrom is undeniably the main lord and protagonist, being the character the player has to bring along in every mission.

Sakurai explicitly told his reasons. Keyword here is "his", implying subjectivity. He's the game designer, the director of the game: the main creative force behind it. As a consequence of existing conflicting opinions among people, it's natural not everyone will agree with.

Of both Chrom and Robin, he chose the latter using similar arguments as people had been using, me included: Chrom was another swordsman, while Robin fit into the "Magic Knight" sort of character. Fitting the former, we already had Smash veterans Marth and Ike, both also from the Fire Emblem series. The latter had magic alongside swordplay.
At the first glance, which stands out more? That was Sakurai's question. Of Chrom and Robin, which would give that oomph regarding the roster's variety? Would it be another swordsman (with blue hair)? Or would it be a character focusing more on magic? Most people would agree on the latter.

From the perspective of many Fire Emblem players/fans, it almost would seem that there was something lacking regarding the series' characters. Both Marth and Ike are swordsmen (even though they have very distinct styles without a doubt). However, there is more to Fire Emblem than just swordsmen. There are archers and there are mages. Robin brings magic to the field and is the first Fire Emblem character in Smash that doesn't solely use a sword.

If you were to see it from the perspective of someone who never touched a Fire Emblem game before, they could get a wrong idea of what the series is about. How can other series offer many diverse characters, yet all that Fire Emblem has are swordsmen? With Robin, people who never played Fire Emblem will see there's more to Fire Emblem than just (blue-haired) swordsmen.

Sometimes it may not look like it and it surely varies between each individual, but first impressions are important. Robin has a more impacting first impression than Chrom does, especially after Marth and Ike had been revealed.

So far, all newcomers have something that makes them stand out from the remaining cast. That's the direction Sakurai is going, like it or not. You have the Villager from Animal Crossing who fights with random stuff, you have the unexpected Wii Fit Trainer who fights with Yoga poses while delivering lines you'd hear at a gym, you have Little Mac's boxing style, Rosalina's Luma and so on. Robin does bring something new, as I mentioned before: ability to use swords and magic. You won't find that on any other character in this game, will you?

Faced with such a philosophy, Chrom was doomed to not being playable, even if, without a doubt, he could bring something new to the gameplay. I'm not denying that and never did. However, it's like I said, first impressions are important. Newcomers here all brought a feeling of NEW to them. A feeling of freshness compared to other characters.

So... all this talk about first impressions, uniqueness, variety, oomph and impact... What about Lucina? Isn't she just a Marth clone? Indeed, she doesn't fit the same bill as other newcomers. She's probably the clone character that is the most similar to the character based from. It's really saying something when the differences between Mario and Dr. Mario or Link and Young Link in Melee are greater than the ones seen between Marth and Lucina in this new game.

However, Sakurai stated how she was "a lucky newcomer". In other words: she's an exception to what could be an otherwise universal rule or philosophy regarding newcomers as I've mentioned above. It all makes more sense when considering she was meant to be just an alternate costume for Marth down to applying changes to the model, voice and name displayed. The developers decided to make her something a little more than that by taking an existing character (Marth) and do minute changes.

Compared to the other newcomers, the resources spent on her were certainly much lower. There was less work necessary in designing her and no need to do any complications, since most of the work for her (modelling, texturing; not the animations since she uses the same as Marth's) has already been done so she would work as originally intended (Marth costume). I would even dare to say this could have even been done on the team's spare time or something similar.

Lucina only got in because the developers felt like it and because it was something very easy to do and likely wouldn't affect the game in the grand scheme. All of this to say that Lucina is on an entirely different boat as the other newcomers from a development point of view. Given the circumstances, anything that can be said about other newcomers can't be said for Lucina, and vice-versa. Lucina wasn't planned as her own character in the first place. Comparing her to the other newcomers is, for the lack of a better word, unfair or, perhaps, illogical.

This is all my opinionated analysis on why Chrom couldn't make the cut and why I think it will be a tough challenge for the Chrom fanbase to make him a DLC character. There are undoubtedly many creative ways to implement a moveset and fighting style to Chrom. He could have his own mechanics and have his share of unique and iconic moves, but what I explained above also counts a lot on what could affect a character's chance to earn a spot in the roster. More than some people might think.

All of this said, good luck on achieving your goal. You will need it!

PS - In regards to Robin's Final Smash in which Chrom teams up with him/her to attack the foe. We call all agree we could have another Toon Link-Alfonzo situation in which Chrom would be replaced by another character if he was in battle as well. Another swordsman like Lon'qu could use the same animations as Chrom for the attack. This would, of course, be included on the Chrom DLC.

TL;DR - I know it's long, but it really would be best if you took your time to read it. ;)
Nice post! Personally I don't think any of those (bad) things about sakurai and understand his choice of robin and inclusion of Lucina.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Unrelated, but I heard that in Shulk's voice...wait, that was definitely meant on purpose :laugh:
It was accidental, LOL. I've been playing Xenoblade too much and didn't realize it was something Shulk says.

On a Chrom related note, we have to contact content creators like artists and youtubers. It's the fastest way to spread the word. But first we'll have to make that illustrated Chrom moveset to pass around. We need an artist! We'll have luck searching in deviantart and tumblr.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I've got a few new ideas concerning the current moveset we are using. I think the biggest problem we have is that we rely too much on falchion. If sakurai thinks he will be too much like a generic swordsman, I think we should do everything we can to make falchion less key to his moveset.

First off, the healing mechanic is still just fine but it will need some changes if his other moves are going to be changed. For one, he should only be able to build up the heal meter with his falchion moves (I'm sure that is pretty obvious already). Second, I think it should be fairly punishable but the heal is more valuable. For instance, the longer the heal the stronger the effect but interrupting the healing should hurt more than a standard attack. In other words, you take more damage from a hit while healing.

I think we should move towards a more lance oriented moveset now though. Just a few changes from what we have. Maybe use his special moves for lance attacks. Like moving the Javelin Toss to standard special. Replace the side special with a lance dash that starts off with a quick spin of the lance in his hand. And replace the down special with his heal. Use lance instead of falchion in his up special (probably involving spins because Fire Emblem lances have to spin obviously :awesome:).

I know that takes out the counter but, considering we are trying to move away from standard Fire Emblem sword users, it's probably for the best. Also I would replace his down smash. Not sure with what exactly but I'm sure it wouldn't take us much time to come up with something. Also his side smash can't utilize a big dash if his side special is going to. I probably change it to have him swing his blade upward in said direction knocking any enemies hit in the air.

On another note, I would say he should have quite a bit of damage and moderate speed but he should have a set back of long recovery times from his moves. It would compensate by making him more punishable so that he can't just destroy people's faces.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Frostwraith, a problem I have with Smash and Fire Emblem is relevancy. I can understand keeping Marth in, he's the posterboy for Fire Emblem. But Ike? I'm not saying they need to get rid of Ike and just give his moveset to Chrom, but for relevancy, wouldn't it do to replace Ike with Chrom? I understand he has his own fanbase and that's sort of low -- but I honestly think that would be a fair thing to do for each Smash, replace the old lord with the new one. As it stands, unless Chrom becomes DLC, it seems he will never get a Smash debut and that hurts, a lot. By replacing the old lord with the new each Smash, we'd constantly get the most current representative, while keeping Marth for the main representative, and probably Robin for uniqueness.

Thoughts? (Everyone, not just Frostwraith)

Pikachewy99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PikachewySAC
3DS FC
4270-1328-9930
That's one thing we need: artists. People who can make support banners and signatures. We're in dire need of some!
Gasp! A call for artists? I suppose that's something I can help a bit with!

Melodramatics aside, I'm mostly lurking here because there isn't much I can offer besides my silent support (plus I'm pretty shy), but so far you guys have been doing great. I love your passion and optimism- keep it up! On the other hand, I was catching up to the thread (since I usually only come back here 3 or 4 times a day depending on how fast messages are coming through), and I saw that you guys needed some artists! I'm not the best artist myself, but I felt that any kind of help would be appreciated at the moment. So yeah, I do art, as well as many of my friends! I'm sure I can get them to make something for this project if I convince them to(plus they're really nice, and my birthday is coming up so I can convince them into making it into a gift)!

I just wanted to say that I'm here to help, and contribute banners if need be! I can also animate simple things as well, so maybe animated banners or small animated examples of potential movesets Chrom might have, as well as work with already made art to create posters. Again, I'm not the best at what I do, but I'm not sure if there are many avid Chrom supporters here that are also artists, so I'm making it known that I can lend a hand to the DLC effort!

I have around a hundred people watching me on deviantart (That's not a lot, haha.) , and a few follow smash, but I only think one truly supports Chrom. I might think about posting a prompt to there, but I highly doubt anyone would care much. As for my artists friends, they'd be happy to make art, but they wouldn't be too involved. I could also talk to my gamer friends on xat(I have a few), but they don't really have roots anywhere else.

I'll do as much as I can (even though my influence is very little), and in the mean time, good luck to all of you! Do not let your resolves falter, because as Chrom says, anything can change!

Edit: On a side note, I'd be happy to collaborate with any other artists that are Chrom supporters to help build pictures for a move set! Let's try to make it clear to Sakurai that Chrom can bring something new to smash bros! I'm totally cool with making art of Chrom! Two of my artist friends are already interested in contributing, huzzah!

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Frostwraith, a problem I have with Smash and Fire Emblem is relevancy. I can understand keeping Marth in, he's the posterboy for Fire Emblem. But Ike? I'm not saying they need to get rid of Ike and just give his moveset to Chrom, but for relevancy, wouldn't it do to replace Ike with Chrom? I understand he has his own fanbase and that's sort of low -- but I honestly think that would be a fair thing to do for each Smash, replace the old lord with the new one. As it stands, unless Chrom becomes DLC, it seems he will never get a Smash debut and that hurts, a lot. By replacing the old lord with the new each Smash, we'd constantly get the most current representative, while keeping Marth for the main representative, and probably Robin for uniqueness.

I don't know. I think it is better for them to start having more consistency. For example, I would expect Robin in smash 5 more than any other non-Marth Fire Emblem character. Also, I would expect Lucina to be cut. I'm sure, as a clone, she won't be received too well especially by non-Fire Emblem fans.

But I don't know how well consistency will fit after a while. Fire Emblem is always constantly changing it's entire cast. Chrom may get a second chance at the limelight through SMTxFE (don't know if that's right). That could also potential showcase a better moveset as well.

Two Big Guys For You

Smash Cadet
I've gotta wonder if we can actually make an impact on Sakurai. It would certainly be novel to do so, and there's always a first time for everything.

I think Robin is really awesome, and I'll probably play Lucina for a bit, but Chrom was the first character I saw when I picked up Awakening, which got me into the series. But what's funny is that I never knew I was on the Chrom train till I saw the trailer and felt disappointed.

I worry though that Sakurai will say something that's ridiculously formal, like "I believe my work needs to be the best it is and stand alone, without additional content after release"

I hope that we can make a splash to Sakurai, although I expect DLC isn't coming until a while after the Wii U version is released.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I've gotta wonder if we can actually make an impact on Sakurai. It would certainly be novel to do so, and there's always a first time for everything.

I think Robin is really awesome, and I'll probably play Lucina for a bit, but Chrom was the first character I saw when I picked up Awakening, which got me into the series. But what's funny is that I never knew I was on the Chrom train till I saw the trailer and felt disappointed.

I worry though that Sakurai will say something that's ridiculously formal, like "I believe my work needs to be the best it is and stand alone, without additional content after release"

I hope that we can make a splash to Sakurai, although I expect DLC isn't coming until a while after the Wii U version is released.
I tend to agree with your last bit on DLC. I feel like it will come much later. Maybe even a year or two. But that is probably better for us because it gives us more time to build up our campaign.

On a side note, even if we do manage to get Sakurai's attention just for him to say "No", our mission was a success. Even if we don't get Chrom, our goal is to prove that being vocal enough in your wants can get his attention.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

Melodramatics aside, I'm mostly lurking here because there isn't much I can offer besides my silent support (plus I'm pretty shy), but so far you guys have been doing great. I love your passion and optimism- keep it up! On the other hand, I was catching up to the thread (since I usually only come back here 3 or 4 times a day depending on how fast messages are coming through), and I saw that you guys needed some artists! I'm not the best artist myself, but I felt that any kind of help would be appreciated at the moment. So yeah, I do art, as well as many of my friends! I'm sure I can get them to make something for this project if I convince them to(plus they're really nice, and my birthday is coming up so I can convince them into making it into a gift)!

I just wanted to say that I'm here to help, and contribute banners if need be! I can also animate simple things as well, so maybe animated banners or small animated examples of potential movesets Chrom might have, as well as work with already made art to create posters. Again, I'm not the best at what I do, but I'm not sure if there are many avid Chrom supporters here that are also artists, so I'm making it known that I can lend a hand to the DLC effort!

I have around a hundred people watching me on deviantart (That's not a lot, haha.) , and a few follow smash, but I only think one truly supports Chrom. I might think about posting a prompt to there, but I highly doubt anyone would care much. As for my artists friends, they'd be happy to make art, but they wouldn't be too involved. I could also talk to my gamer friends on xat(I have a few), but they don't really have roots anywhere else.

I'll do as much as I can (even though my influence is very little), and in the mean time, good luck to all of you! Do not let your resolves falter, because as Chrom says, anything can change!

Edit: On a side note, I'd be happy to collaborate with any other artists that are Chrom supporters to help build pictures for a move set! Let's try to make it clear to Sakurai that Chrom can bring something new to smash bros! I'm totally cool with making art of Chrom! Two of my artist friends are already interested in contributing, huzzah!
Welcome! Not all of us can do a lot but we really need any support that artists can give, so your help is 100x welcomed! Any additional help you can get is also really important!

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
This is awesome. When Chrom was deconfirmed, I was devasted. I had no hope that he'll ever be playable. But then my brother who doesn't even care for Fire Emblem brought up an important point: Sakurai outright deconfirmed Villager at one point, saying that "he wasn't smash material." But look where are we now. Villager is now a newcomer. I imagine his situation at first was similar to Chrom's. But Sakurai digged deeper into him and found ways he could work in smmash. If Sakurai can make Villager and WFT work, then Chrom can as well. That's why I don't really get his decision of excluding Chrom. Yeah, it would take more work to make him unique but please refer to the Villager situation above. Chrom could take inspiration from his other classes (While promoting into Great Lord with the Exalted Falchion as his final smash. Lucina could probably have this as her final smash already through). Keep up the good work guys and I 100% support this. EDIT: Also, should we explain why we like Chrom? Most people who don't like him says he is boring. I got attached to him because I ship Chrom X FeMU.

Last edited:

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
This is awesome. When Chrom was deconfirmed, I was devasted. I had no hope that he'll ever be playable. But then my brother who doesn't even care for Fire Emblem brought up an important point: Sakurai outright deconfirmed Villager at one point, saying that "he wasn't smash material." But look where are we now. Villager is now a newcomer. I imagine his situation at first was similar to Chrom's. But Sakurai digged deeper into him and found ways he could work in smmash. If Sakurai can make Villager and WFT work, then Chrom can as well. That's why I don't really get his decision of excluding Chrom. Yeah, it would take more work to make him unique but please refer to the Villager situation above. Chrom could take inspiration from his other classes (While promoting into Great Lord with the Exalted Falchion as his final smash. Lucina could probably have this as her final smash already through). Keep up the good work guys and I 100% support this.
Honestly, I would be suprised if Sakurai isn't planning on looking into Chrom more. He sounded pretty interested in Chrom in that interview. And after reading that interview and rewatching the trailer, I think Sakurai was actually trying to say he did the best he could with Chrom considering the dead line is fast approaching. Which is where my questions come in. I have to wonder when Lucina was made playable and Chrom was decided for Robin's FS. I feel like he was still forming a concept for Chrom but just couldn't make it work in his mind.

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I would be suprised if Sakurai isn't planning on looking into Chrom more. He sounded pretty interested in Chrom in that interview. And after reading that interview and rewatching the trailer, I think Sakurai was actually trying to say he did the best he could with Chrom considering the dead line is fast approaching. Which is where my questions come in. I have to wonder when Lucina was made playable and Chrom was decided for Robin's FS. I feel like he was still forming a concept for Chrom but just couldn't make it work in his mind.
Sounds like many people have dfferent interpretations of what Sakurai meant in this interview. I'm sure he will find ideas for Chrom if he really was interested in him. As someone who argued for Chrom for 2 years since Awakening came out in Japan, I was disappointed of what Sakurai said in this interview. But maybe you're right, maybe he did try his best for Chrom. Then again, I would think he would mention that in the interview.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I don't think he felt he needed to say it in the interview because I think it was what he was trying to say in the trailer. Giving him a role that was even closer to playable than an AT.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I agree. I think it seems sakurai likes the character, but wanted to do him justice and thought that a fs was the best way.

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
I don't think he felt he needed to say it in the interview because I think it was what he was trying to say in the trailer. Giving him a role that was even closer to playable than an AT.
True. But that means that Chrom would still have to be with the assist trophies in the smash mansion XD Just a question, has a Chrom support been made on tumblr? I have been looking through the Chrom, Fire Emblem/Awakening and SSB4 tags but I have yet to see it. If not, then we need to make one. Tumblr has a lot of Chrom fans and we could easily rally up support from there.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
True. But that means that Chrom would still have to be with the assist trophies in the smash mansion XD Just a question, has a Chrom support been made on tumblr? I have been looking through the Chrom, Fire Emblem/Awakening and SSB4 tags but I have yet to see it. If not, then we need to make one. Tumblr has a lot of Chrom fans and we could easily rally up support from there.
I think they are working on the tumblr.

And I think Sakurai interest in Chrom will remain until SMTxFE. If Chrom makes a notable appearance there, he may even get consideration for the next smash/DLC depending on the time of release and plans for the next smash etc.

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
I think they are working on the tumblr.

And I think Sakurai interest in Chrom will remain until SMTxFE. If Chrom makes a notable appearance there, he may even get consideration for the next smash/DLC depending on the time of release and plans for the next smash etc.
Ya know, that could be what is Sakurai waiting on. If SMT X FE does something different with Chrom, Sakurai could take inspiration from that. How come he isn't discussing anything with Intelligent Systems with how Chrom can work through?

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Ya know, that could be what is Sakurai waiting on. If SMT X FE does something different with Chrom, Sakurai could take inspiration from that. How come he isn't discussing anything with Intelligent Systems with how Chrom can work through?
Ya got me. But if this campaign gets Sakurai's attention I have no doubt Chrom at least gets a second consideration. Whether the second consideration will work well for him or not, who knows but at least he gets a second chance.

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
Ya got me. But if this campaign gets Sakurai's attention I have no doubt Chrom at least gets a second consideration. Whether the second consideration will work well for him or not, who knows but at least he gets a second chance.
Yep. If the Villager gets a second chance, so can Chrom. Also, I think it's important to get Nintendo's attention about our movement as well. Send them e-mails, message them on Facebook, comment on their YouTube, get their attention on Twitter, etc... If people are already doing that then awesome. Never underestimate the power of social media. Could we maybe start up a petition? If there is one, link me to it please.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Is anyone bummed with Sakurai that he could not find a way to make Chrom unique even though there are plenty of things in Awakening that could easily make him different?

Last edited:

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
Is anyone unimpressed with Sakurai that he could not find a way to make Chrom unique even though there are plenty of things in Awakening that could easily make him different?
Right here. It was said that Sakurai really did try his best with Chrom. I doubt it but it's possible. Maybe Sakurai never tried any other classes for Chrom besides Lord/Great Lord. It feels so incomplete without Chrom being playable. It's like Tails and Shadow being added in a crossover game without Sonic.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Is anyone bummed with Sakurai that he could not find a way to make Chrom unique even though there are plenty of things in Awakening that could easily make him different?
Not really. I mean plenty of people that played Awakening think Chrom wouldn't be anything more than a clone if he got in. I feel Sakurai may have overlooked things or he may have seen spears unusable because it would look weird seeing as he would be shown in regular lord form. I'm sure he had a good reason for deciding he couldn't make Chrom unique. And if not, everybody makes mistakes.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
I'll get on the ask and submit, fanmail, etc. don't worry, I literally just made the blog.

And thank you for spreading it R.O.B., everything helps, remember that.

Last edited:

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
I'll get on the ask and submit, fanmail, etc. don't worry, I literally just made the blog.

And thank you for spreading it R.O.B., everything helps, remember that.
Could we get affiliates? Like affiliate with popular smash blogs or sites? We'll build our army of shepherds and get allies like how Chrom himself traveled to to Regna Ferox to get allies! :D

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure we're NEAR big enough for that sort of thing, plus, that's not my call, you'd have to ask Opossum.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

This is great, I haven't been on Xat in a while but maybe we can now to contact each other faster. Plus, I know there are a lot of Chrom fans on deviantart, too. If we can unite everyone I'm sure we can make a lot of content.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I have to say I disagree with this idea. I don't think that Fire Emblem should be represented solely by it's most iconic character and the most recent protagonist of the series. While it is true that Fire Emblem is a series that constantly shifts its cast of characters, meaning that many characters are left behind as new games come out, that does not mean that the older games and characters are insignificant. They all played an important part in Fire Emblem's history. Ike in particular is noteworthy as one of the few protagonists to star in more than one title; his impact on the series is larger than most other protagonists. Just because he isn't the most recent protagonist doesn't mean they should just replace him. That would not only be neglecting a part of Fire Emblem's history, but it would also be a slap to the face for Ike's fans. I know you mention that it hurts that Chrom will never have a Smash debut, but it would also hurt for all those fans who love Ike and enjoy having him in Smash to have him taken away for some new guy. Not to mention, if we did just continually replace Fire Emblem characters, Chrom would be out in the next game. Do you really want a cast of characters that you know for a fact will only be limited to one game in the Smash series? I think many fans would find that to be less than ideal.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
I feel it's a trend that could work, so they all get their chance. Of course, that's not saying I think we should ONLY use the most recent lords, no. Or even lords at all.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I tend to agree with your last bit on DLC. I feel like it will come much later. Maybe even a year or two. But that is probably better for us because it gives us more time to build up our campaign.

On a side note, even if we do manage to get Sakurai's attention just for him to say "No", our mission was a success. Even if we don't get Chrom, our goal is to prove that being vocal enough in your wants can get his attention.
See: GameCube controller.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

I finished making the Xat! It's xat.com/ChromForSmash
If you and/or any of your friends wants to contribute we can talk there. The movement will probably end up being in every single social network :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom