• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So, a fighter in Smash is not allowed to wield the same weapon? Maybe we should give King Dedede the Pink Slip. We already have the Ice Climbers, Popo & Nana, to fill the Hammer motif/niche.

Just putting in my thoughts, that's all.
Don't forget that this argument could to be applied all swordsmen in general, especially those that could be potential candidates (Takamaru, Shulk, Isaac, ect.). :troll:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Don't forget that this argument could to be applied all swordsmen in general, especially those that could be potential candidates (Takamaru, Shulk, Isaac, ect.). :troll:
Then, it's settled. All swordsmen except Link & Marth will be removed from Smash. Those two will be the only two that actually matters and the only two people will know a give a crap about.

Enloc

Smash Cadet
Whoo, seems like I missed all the um... fun. Partly because I'm tired and partly because I say this sort of stuff ad nauseum, here's all I've got to add:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I can't deny that Robin is the most obvious choice to add much-needed diversity to the FE representation in Smash. He was one of my top 3 contenders for what I thought would be a single FE character spot, but I could never quite place him above Chrom simply because my kneejerk reaction when you say "main character" is "Chrom". Robin is absolutely super ultra important. I'd say he is Chrom's equal. BUT, because Robin has no true defined appearance, Chrom wins out by the tiniest margin as "main character" for me.

Mind, that is a really small margin. It's like the characters even say in the game themselves... they are two halves of the same whole. This is why my biggest pipe dream was for them to be a team character similar to the Ice Climbers. Then I wouldn't have to make that agonizing call which Sakurai obviously did make.

I do love that Chrom is part of Robin's FS because it really drives home what kind of a bond those two have. Fantastic call, really, especially when Sakurai could easily have just given Robin a high tier spell like Aversa's Night as a FS. For Awakening fans, it's pretty much the most symbolically significant thing Sakurai could've done and I'm glad for that.

Still, it feels wrong that Chrom does not stand on equal footing with Robin like I think he should. I don't like to have one without the other. And while Chrom is technically "with" Robin, the sad fact is that unless someone actually gets a Smash Ball, that's not going to be particularly apparent...I would just really love to see both of them as playable so they could truly tag-team. Yes, even if Chrom is not THE most diverse character we could choose.

Not gonna lie, I'd be simply beside myself if I could get a Chrom Amiibo and train him up to by my best little fighting buddy while I play Robin.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Whoo, seems like I missed all the um... fun. Partly because I'm tired and partly because I say this sort of stuff ad nauseum, here's all I've got to add:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I can't deny that Robin is the most obvious choice to add much-needed diversity to the FE representation in Smash. He was one of my top 3 contenders for what I thought would be a single FE character spot, but I could never quite place him above Chrom simply because my kneejerk reaction when you say "main character" is "Chrom". Robin is absolutely super ultra important. I'd say he is Chrom's equal. BUT, because Robin has no true defined appearance, Chrom wins out by the tiniest margin as "main character" for me.

Mind, that is a really small margin. It's like the characters even say in the game themselves... they are two halves of the same whole. This is why my biggest pipe dream was for them to be a team character similar to the Ice Climbers. Then I wouldn't have to make that agonizing call which Sakurai obviously did make.

I do love that Chrom is part of Robin's FS because it really drives home what kind of a bond those two have. Fantastic call, really, especially when Sakurai could easily have just given Robin a high tier spell like Aversa's Night as a FS. For Awakening fans, it's pretty much the most symbolically significant thing Sakurai could've done and I'm glad for that.

Still, it feels wrong that Chrom does not stand on equal footing with Robin like I think he should. I don't like to have one without the other. And while Chrom is technically "with" Robin, the sad fact is that unless someone actually gets a Smash Ball, that's not going to be particularly apparent...I would just really love to see both of them as playable so they could truly tag-team. Yes, even if Chrom is not THE most diverse character we could choose.

Not gonna lie, I'd be simply beside myself if I could get a Chrom Amiibo and train him up to by my best little fighting buddy while I play Robin.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I've already went on a rant, but i'll repeat it in a nutshell.

If the character from Fire Emblem is a side character from any installment of Fire Emblem, they WILL NOT get into Super Smash Bros. At least not before the main protagonist of their game. So this would mean Robin, Lucina and Tharja are unlikely unless Chrom gets in first. Lyn is unlikely as it is.

For Awakening, Chrom will be the first rep. There is no debating this. he is the main character and poster boy of the game. While Lucina is advertised with Chrom, she is far too similar to Marth and is not the main lord of the game, which can be said for Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom.

EDIT:@Noah, saying Chrom will instantly be a clone is getting ahead of yourself. He can play differently from the other two lords. There isn't much to change in a sword wielding moveset unless some other ability can be implemented, hence why Link is different from the Fire Emblem lords etc...

Also, proposing that they bypass Chrom in fear of him being a clone by taking a different Lord that isn't recent to make HIM a clone is asinine. It would make little sense to do that.
Quoting myself because this is hilarious. How stupid do i look? *raughs

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Quoting myself because this is hilarious. How stupid do i look? *raughs
Well, you compared Robin and Lucina to Tharja, so... Yeah, I'd still say Robin is a main character of Awakening, and Lucina would be the third most important. So I think there was plenty of room for debating Chrom's chances.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, you compared Robin and Lucina to Tharja, so... Yeah, I'd still say Robin is a main character of Awakening, and Lucina would be the third most important. So I think there was plenty of room for debating Chrom's chances.
Yeah that was an awful comparison. Luckily my view on it changed since then. I'm not nearly as bullheaded as I used to be.

I've actually come to really like the idea of Robin and I can't wait to play as him in Smash 4. I want to say that post in particular was made before I was a mod. At least I'm not that stupid anymore.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At least the part against Noah wasn't bad. :p

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I honestly wouldn't mind Chrom being a clone of Ike, Marth or Mii Sword Fighter. I just want him in and I think he deserved to be in, as being the main protagonist. Having Robin and Lucina without Chrom just seems weird, which is why we get so many images that make fun of him.
Really though, since Mii fighters can't be used online with anyone, the movesets could be used for other characters.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Come to think of it... Chrom is kind of like Micaiah in Radiant Dawn. Both are the primarily featured characters in the box art, yet their roles get progressively smaller as the story goes, with another character (Ike in RD, Robin in Awakening) getting more spotlight towards the end. There's not really a true main character as the protagonist role is shifted as the story progresses.

Also, there was someone here arguing that Chrom was the main character and was more important due to being similar to other lords in previous Fire Emblem titles. That is precisely the reason why Sakurai didn't want him in the game: there are already two FE characters in Smash that fill that archetype (although, the sword styles of Marth and Ike differ vastly from each other) and it was more desirable to have a character that deviated from that archetype.

He's too similar to both Marth and Ike in many aspects that he wouldn't stand out as much as Robin did. Chrom comes off as a mix between Marth and Ike that doesn't favor him at all when you want a diverse roster, something Sakurai aimed, as evidenced by all the newcomers so far (except Lucina, but she's on a entirely different boat).

It could be argued that it's actually more of a problem with the FE series itself, as the grand majority of the protagonists (the Lords) share similar characteristics that, when putting those characters together, there aren't many things that make them stand out from each another.

Long story short: Chrom and Robin are both the protagonists of Awakening. For Smash 4, it was a matter of choosing one of them. Given their importance was the same, the deciding factor was roster diversity.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Come to think of it... Chrom is kind of like Micaiah in Radiant Dawn. Both are the primarily featured characters in the box art, yet their roles get progressively smaller as the story goes, with another character (Ike in RD, Robin in Awakening) getting more spotlight towards the end. There's not really a true main character as the protagonist role is shifted as the story progresses.

Also, there was someone here arguing that Chrom was the main character and was more important due to being similar to other lords in previous Fire Emblem titles. That is precisely the reason why Sakurai didn't want him in the game: there are already two FE characters in Smash that fill that archetype (although, the sword styles of Marth and Ike differ vastly from each other) and it was more desirable to have a character that deviated from that archetype.

He's too similar to both Marth and Ike in many aspects that he wouldn't stand out as much as Robin did. Chrom comes off as a mix between Marth and Ike that doesn't favor him at all when you want a diverse roster, something Sakurai aimed, as evidenced by all the newcomers so far (except Lucina, but she's on a entirely different boat).

It could be argued that it's actually more of a problem with the FE series itself, as the grand majority of the protagonists (the Lords) share similar characteristics that, when putting those characters together, there aren't many things that make them stand out from each another.

Long story short: Chrom and Robin are both the protagonists of Awakening. For Smash 4, it was a matter of choosing one of them. Given their importance was the same, the deciding factor was roster diversity.
he wouldn't stand out because sakurai doesn't have the brains to make him stand out AND because of his very dumb decision to split transformations, which was by far the best way to represent awakening (and i don't say this just because i wanted Chrom, as i wanted this outcome even before i wanted Chrom in smash)

Robin, outside of Nosferatu, doesn't use anything that the "tactician" class isn't allowed to use, like Axes. He also only uses 2 kinds of swords, and notably, the Levin sword doesn't do anything special gameplay-wise. This is clearly something that can be done, as seen not only with nosferatu, but plenty of other movesets (such as Pikachu being impossible as of Brawl, Mario using fireballs without the power-up, Ike using aether with the wrong class twice)

and that last bit reminds me: Skills. Look at Robin again, where is his only truly noteworthy feature: Ignis? Where are other other offensive procs? Where are the defensive Pavise and Aegis procs? How about implementing Rally skills as buffs? Vantage as a dodge-and-counter move? Plenty of stuff ignored for Robin, and plenty of stuff Chrom could have used.

When Sakurai unveilied Palutena, i though, "heh, he probably is going to do something like this with chrom, he really knows how to think outside the box!", and it turns out that Sakurai disappointed again. I knew i should've given up on Sakurai after seeing rosalina's ridiculous inclusion, but eh.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think you might be going a bit overboard, guedes. I'd say Robin was faithful, and there was nothing ridiculous about Rosalina.

Try to keep this more about Chrom and less about other characters.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I honestly wouldn't mind Chrom being a clone of Ike, Marth or Mii Sword Fighter. I just want him in and I think he deserved to be in, as being the main protagonist. Having Robin and Lucina without Chrom just seems weird, which is why we get so many images that make fun of him.
Really though, since Mii fighters can't be used online with anyone, the movesets could be used for other characters.
He isn't the MAIN protagonist at all, he is A protagonist, just not the main one. He doesn't do much after the Valm arc...

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
IronFish. Avatar/Robin and Chrom are both the main characters, they both have their uses in the story and the like, nowhere does the game say or imply one is more important than the other, two halves of the same whole.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
IronFish. Avatar/Robin and Chrom are both the main characters, they both have their uses in the story and the like, nowhere does the game say or imply one is more important than the other, two halves of the same whole.
I think that's what he was saying.

It's hard to say that there is a definitive main character of Awakening, since there were two prominent characters of roughly equal importance. Basically, Chrom is a main character of Awakening, and likewise, Robin is a main character of Awakening.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
He isn't the MAIN protagonist at all, he is A protagonist, just not the main one. He doesn't do much after the Valm arc...
Most of the story has to do with Chrom, it's his struggle. I might as well quote Sakurai himself:
“”What? Not Chrom!?” I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. ”
Robin is still one of the main protagonists, though, and his inclusion is completely justified and deserving. I'm not against him at all, he definitely had the most badass reveal trailer.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Most of the story has to do with Chrom, it's his struggle. I might as well quote Sakurai himself:
Robin is still one of the main protagonists, though, and his inclusion is completely justified and deserving. I'm not against him at all, he definitely had the most badass reveal trailer.
I think it was actually falcon who had a reveal trailer, robin just happened to be there.

Nice avatar btw shulk ftw

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Oh.
I'm so sorry.

So hey! I wonder what the name of Robin's FS is? "Pair-up"? "As one"? "Chrom"?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, Chrom's getting a charaforme, which are teeny figures of a character. I think.
Oh my God he's so chibified. :laugh: To get a better perspective, what do these other Chara-Formes look like?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Agreeing with Enloc. In fact I wish Robin wasn't primarily "MU/Avatar" to Awakening due his sheer story importance because I think saying he's more important than Chrom would be same as saying the player himself is story-wise more important than the characters in the game... in an FE-game.
I mean, when I plugged Awakening, I went off with using myself as a basis for Robin in the game... so seeing him here in his original might take some while to get used to, but I might approve that decision as whole now.
I'm just afraid that MU/Avatar-units might start to take spotlight for rest of FE, especially how it was close to being ended and based on now that everyone thinks Chrom's not as important as Robin appears to be due "based Sakurai" despite the latter being chosen solely for roster diversity and moveset potential.

But really, I might have even supported Robin more if he had been established more as his own character (basically Soren to Chrom's Ike) instead a basis for Avatar-character... I mean, looking how we already two of 'em here in SSB4 (Villager and Miis), it feels bit lowering the hype of him for me.
I don't want Nintendo to brush away creativity on doing more potentially memroable characters for sake of giving more enpowerment and importance to the player himself, especially when he won't care about the game after being done with it and moving on.

But at the end, I'd still love to see Chrom teaming up truly with Robin one day. I think that would have been more fitting than what we got now. In fact, swords and tomes could have beeen divided between the two like what Robin has in his moveset and I think it would lended for plenty creativity.

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
So, Chrom's getting a charaforme, which are teeny figures of a character. I think.
Hand it over. Give it to me right now. I need those so bad along with those Pikmin plushies, that Link SS Figma, and the pose-able Mario figure.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
it's funny that before Robin's inclusion in smash no one questioned people saying Chrom was the true lead of awakening.

if neither character gets an edge over each other in this debate of "who is THE main character" due to Chrom having medium importance throughout the game and robing having medium-low importance with a huge spike of importance at the very beggining and end... i say again, why not look at the FE series as a whole?

again: Chrom has too many similarities to other FE leads in the way gameplay AND plot treated him, much more than Robin

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
it's funny that before Robin's inclusion in smash no one questioned people saying Chrom was the true lead of awakening.
Uh... No, lots of people questioned whether or not Chrom was the main character prior to Robin's inclusion.

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, a lot of arguments for Robin vs. Chrom for Smash was whether or not one of them was more important than the other.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sakurai thought Robin was a better choice than Chrom, and apparently Lucina was made her own character in order to a fill a slot from a cancelled character. Makes you wonder who this cancelled character could be?
I believe the cancelled out character was none other than a mistranslation.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sakurai thought Robin was a better choice than Chrom, and apparently Lucina was made her own character in order to a fill a slot from a cancelled character. Makes you wonder who this cancelled character could be?
I am fairly certain that it was our favorite clone character, Dark Pit. However, after Sakurai was flamed for including Palutena; the reasons cited pertaining to his inherent biases, he decided to take quick action and turn one of the alternates into a character! :awesome:

But seriously, it would have been great to see Chrom in Smash. Despite the notion that I was predominantly a Robin supporter, I still thought that Chrom would be a great choice and I always challenged the sentiment that he would be "a generic swordsmen" or that "he would offer nothing to the roster." I was a Chrom fan before I was a Robin fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom