• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But why not say, chrom and robin are good, I'll support both, rather than, this one is better, so the other has to go. It just doesn't make a lot of sense (heh) to me. Especially with the dlc push; people are still coming here saying chrom isn't any good, that he isn't worth it because we have other fe characters. Why not add more? Especially when our small sampling of movesets are so unique? What is wrong with supporting as many characters as you please? Example; me supporting Ridley, doesn't mean I have to abandon sylux or rundas as well. I'm just curious as to why some people kinda feel that way even after his deconfirmation.
As I said, it's not just because I believed Robin to be the superior choice. I just didn't see the appeal in Chrom. I thought he was a poor choice for the roster. I couldn't have supported him. If I thought both he and Robin would be really good choices, I would have supported both.

And I don't support Chrom for DLC because I just don't care for him at this point, and I don't think he's worth the effort. It's true that more characters is always nice, but I'm not just going to support every possible character for DLC just because I want more characters. There has to be more to it than just a desire for additional characters, and in the case of Chrom, there isn't much.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Those details are for us Fire Emblem fans. Smash isn't just all about random fighters with no homage to their respective series whatsoever

And as a Fire Emblem fan, I'd appreciate Chrom being perfect as a FS more than being his own character and Robin's FS being replaced by Morgan/Frederick/etc. And non-FE fans don't care about Chrom so why does his inclusion matter then?

I'm agreeing with you on the first part. As to why chrom should be in? I advise you check the website but I'll break it down for you: he has huge moveset potential that can satisfy new niches in fighting style as well as add new gameplay elements. Implemented properly, chrom could be a highly unique, in depth fighter with new gameplay mechanics. And us FE fans who appreciate the details? We get to enjoy more representation, wrapped up in a unique fighter. That's the short and sweet version.

Actually that's the only reason I saw in your post false; thanks for clarifying.
What about our movesets don't interest you? Is there anything you believe could be improved on?

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
I'm agreeing with you on the first part. As to why chrom should be in? I advise you check the website but I'll break it down for you: he has huge moveset potential that can satisfy new niches in fighting style as well as add new gameplay elements. Implemented properly, chrom could be a highly unique, in depth fighter with new gameplay mechanics. And us FE fans who appreciate the details? We get to enjoy more representation, wrapped up in a unique fighter. That's the short and sweet version.
But I'd rather have Chrom rightfully a partner in Robin's Final Smash than having a moveset pulling on all strings trying to find some diversity just for another sword user.

Sakurai can reach (like the moveset on the wordpress) and give Chrom diversity but should he? Chrom's not that diverse in the game, let's be real, so why should he be in SSB4? Trickster Anna has more sword diversity and can use staves too.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Actually that's the only reason I saw in your post false; thanks for clarifying.
What about our movesets don't interest you? Is there anything you believe could be improved on?
There's not exactly anything wrong with the move sets (aside from basing a lot of them off of abilities Chrom hardly even uses). I just don't see a reason to support him for DLC.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but what reasons are there, really? All I've heard is that he's a popular character who could be unique. Frankly, that applies to a number of characters. I mean, why not try and start a huge movement to make Skull Kid a playable character? He's definitely popular, and has plenty of potential, so why not? Or within the Fire Emblem series, why not try and get Micaiah as DLC? She's popular and has a lot of potential. The thing is, popularity and unique potential are things that so many characters have; on their own, I don't believe they're enough to justify making a character playable. There has to be something more, and frankly, I don't see that in Chrom.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
There's not exactly anything wrong with the move sets (aside from basing a lot of them off of abilities Chrom hardly even uses). I just don't see a reason to support him for DLC.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but what reasons are there, really? All I've heard is that he's a popular character who could be unique. Frankly, that applies to a number of characters. I mean, why not try and start a huge movement to make Skull Kid a playable character? He's definitely popular, and has plenty of potential, so why not? Or within the Fire Emblem series, why not try and get Micaiah as DLC? She's popular and has a lot of potential. The thing is, popularity and unique potential are things that so many characters have; on their own, I don't believe they're enough to justify making a character playable. There has to be something more, and frankly, I don't see that in Chrom.
Also, Chrom was specifically shot down by Sakurai for not offering anything unique. In my mind, wouldn't that put him in a worse position than even Skull Kid and Micaiah?

Note: This is coming from the guy who brought up the concept of Blossfechten in his moveset.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Also, Chrom was specifically shot down by Sakurai for not offering anything unique. In my mind, wouldn't that put him in a worse position than even Skull Kid and Micaiah?

Note: This is coming from the guy who brought up the concept of Blossfechten in his moveset.
There's also the fact that Chrom is part of someone's Final Smash. At least with someone like Skull Kid (an Assist Trophy), they could just remove the trophy if they wanted to make him playable. They'd have to actually replace Chrom with someone in order to make him playable, and that Final Smash was designed around Chrom; replacing him takes away a lot of the original meaning of the Final Smash.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

Nosferatu.
Those are characters who may also deserve support! As I said, why not support skull kid, micaiah and toad? If they are deserving, they are deserving! What does robin offer other than being unique and popular? See my point? Robin is unique and popular. He adds new gameplay styles. Guess what? So could skull kid or toad or, you guessed it, chrom. I'm wondering why you support robin for being unique and popular, but not others.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Nosferatu.
Those are characters who may also deserve support! As I said, why not support skull kid, micaiah and toad? If they are deserving, they are deserving! What does robin offer other than being unique and popular? See my point? Robin is unique and popular. He adds new gameplay styles. Guess what? So could skull kid or toad or, you guessed it, chrom. I'm wondering why you support robin for being unique and popular, but not others.
Sakurai explained Nosferatu and that's like Robin's only accommodation though and it makes sense since he's Grima and his daddy is Validar. Chrom would need to reach for every move he makes to be diverse.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Nosferatu.
Because Robin represents Awakening, a successful and important game in Fire Emblem's history, as well as the recurring concepts of magic, tactics, avatar characters, and the limited use of items, to name a few. Robin stands for something that no other character does. Prior to his/her inclusion, I would have said the same for Chrom, as he would have represented Awakening as well. However, that niche has been filled.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Nosferatu.
Nosferatu was a single move in a diverse moveset. That's not a huge stretch at all. Especially considering Robin's backstory.

I'm guessing because (like Sakurai) it's easier for him to imagine a different character bringing a new gameplay style (and/or aesthetic style) than Chrom. And I don't blame anyone for that, since Chrom is undeniably less obviously unique, being a blatant combination of what's worked before for Lords (Marth and Ike specifically).

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
And now we've come back to the original question! Apart from the stretching thing (WFT, villager, G&W) you guys have made interesting points that have covered my questions thoroughly, respectfully, and thoughtfully. I really appreciate this discussion, and although I disagree that chrom isn't worth the effort, (for reasons stated a million times) I think your viewpoints have become more clear to me on the matter. Here's an obligatory internet handshake video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vOSG6uhTY
Thanks for not setting my alight and throwing me into a pit.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
And now we've come back to the original question! Apart from the stretching thing (WFT, villager, G&W) you guys have made interesting points that have covered my questions thoroughly, respectfully, and thoughtfully. I really appreciate this discussion, and although I disagree that chrom isn't worth the effort, (for reasons stated a million times) I think your viewpoints have become more clear to me on the matter. Here's an obligatory internet handshake video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vOSG6uhTY
Thanks for not setting my alight and throwing me into a pit.
WFT G&W and Villager get "stretched" creative skillsets because in they either are not meant to be taken as seriously or do not have a preexisting fighting skillset.

Chrom on the other hand already has everything laid out for him.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
WFT G&W and Villager get "stretched" creative skillsets because in they either are not meant to be taken as seriously or do not have a preexisting fighting skillset.

Chrom on the other hand already has everything laid out for him.
If it's laid out for him, is it really a stretch? He uses the falchion and spears in game, and the falchion does heal you.

Edit:Sheik :troll:

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
If it's laid out for him, is it really a stretch? He uses the falchion and spears in game, and the falchion does heal you.

Edit:Sheik :troll:
Yes. Chrom's canon at the moment is sword-wielder exclusive. His outfit is the Lord outfit, and he does not carry a Spear on him. Exalted* Falchion heals you. Lucina's Falchion should be made to heal herself then, since she's had the heal-able Falchion from the start of the game. And when did the Fire Emblem ever become a weapon in Awakening to be directly used in battle by Chrom.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Yes. Chrom's canon at the moment is sword-wielder exclusive. His outfit is the Lord outfit, and he does not carry a Spear on him. Exalted* Falchion heals you. Lucina's Falchion should be made to heal herself then, since she's had the heal-able Falchion from the start of the game. And when did the Fire Emblem ever become a weapon in Awakening to be directly used in battle by Chrom.
When did Zelda ever blast people with fire balls? When did bowser pick people up and body slam them? When does greninja ever form water swords? Sheik never fights. Canon shamnon. And you better watch that handshake video dang it!

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Again, when did smash care about canon Reginleif? If you're here to start something, or just "Chrom isn't unique, stop supporting him/he's dumb" then get out of here, it's getting old.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
When did Zelda ever blast people with fire balls? When did bowser pick people up and body slam them? When does greninja ever form water swords? Sheik never fights. Canon shamnon. And you better watch that handshake video dang it!
I'm sorry I thought we're talking about Fire Emblem reps and let's stick with that please since none of the FE reps pull out a long lance from thin air.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Again, when did smash care about canon Reginleif? If you're here to start something, or just "Chrom isn't unique, stop supporting him/he's dumb" then get out of here, it's getting old.
We had a great discussion going, but I think it's starting to go round in circles now..
Edit: I give up on this current discussion, it's dead. Can we get another spongebob morale boost in here?

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Look at the other FE reps and tell me if Chrom had this "unique" moveset it wouldn't be so odd and reachy when compared with the others.

IronFish

Smash Ace

Huge? Self healing and doing a jumpy spinny thing is not very huge at all, and if we did get a lance user, it would be Bandana Dee, not Chrom. Saying he has huge potential is a lie, but saying he has no potential is also a lie. Granted he may be possible as a Lucina alt, but still, bit I don't see it happening.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
and if we did get a lance user, it would be Bandana Dee, not Chrom. Saying he has huge potential is a lie, but saying he has no potential is also a lie.
Who are you to decide any of that? Please, we get you guys don't like Chrom. Let us support Chrom for DLC, we will NOT stop, especially on the account of some stubborn detractors like yourselves. We wish to have no ill feelings among each other, you guys have Robin and Lucina, characters I might add, a LOT of people wanted in over Chrom.

You have your new Fire Emblem reps you wished for, let us wish and push for ours.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Who are you to decide any of that? Please, we get you guys don't like Chrom. Let us support Chrom for DLC, we will NOT stop, especially on the account of some stubborn detractors like yourselves. We wish to have no ill feelings among each other, you guys have Robin and Lucina, characters I might add, a LOT of people wanted in over Chrom.

You have your new Fire Emblem reps you wished for, let us wish and push for ours.
do we really want chrom

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Well, they'll probably realize that Chrom must be significant if Robin's Final Smash revolves around them teaming up to defeat opponents. I believe it's a good representation of both the pair-up mechanic of Awakening, and the significance of both Chrom and Robin as the main characters of the game.
any representation of pair-up that doesn't involve the characters fighting at the same time, one normally and the other as a background assist, is lame.

as much as i support Chrom, what i really wanted, was a Chrom/Robin permanent pair-up. They could switch out between active and support (chrom using bows and robin using magic) while the other fights normally.

it's a pity that Sakurai decided to get rid of transformations... i understand getting rid of the pokemon trainer and having just charizard, but... you could have "variations" of Samus's FS in order to trigger it with no character swap (like holding R/L immediately after activating the damn thing) , and Zelda's transform was actually the only thing she had that was Canon (and she got something completely opposite of that as her new dB), getting rid of that was awful.

Well, they'll probably realize that Chrom must be significant if Robin's Final Smash revolves around them teaming up to defeat opponents. I believe it's a good representation of both the pair-up mechanic of Awakening, and the significance of both Chrom and Robin as the main characters of the game.
but Lucina has a lesser role than Chrom (and to me, so does Robin) and she is playable, so by default this is wrong.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
but Lucina has a lesser role than Chrom (and to me, so does Robin) and she is playable, so by default this is wrong.
Lucina is an odd exception; she was originally meant to be an alternate costume, but Sakurai wanted to give her unique characteristics, so she became a separate character later on. This was all after Sakurai decided to use Robin instead of Chrom, and at that point had likely decided on making Chrom a Final Smash.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Lucina is an odd exception; she was originally meant to be an alternate costume, but Sakurai wanted to give her unique characteristics, so she became a separate character later on. This was all after Sakurai decided to use Robin instead of Chrom, and at that point had likely decided on making Chrom a Final Smash.
alternate costume still means playable role.

Well, I'm typically against characters if I don't believe that character should be on the roster. This is kind of how I felt with Chrom. Now just to be clear, I like Chrom as a character in Awakening. He's a nice character with a good story and is a pretty useful unit overall. I also really like Awakening. I think it's an excellent strategy game, one that I was quite obsessed with it for some time after I got it, so naturally I wanted to see it represented in Smash. But I never wanted Chrom in Smash.

Ever since Fire Emblem was brought into Smash, its representation has been... Not so good. All the Fire Emblem characters in previous Smash games have been basic swordsmen who had rather similar appearances. The Fire Emblem series is one that is filled with diverse and unique characters, yet the characters in Smash make it seem like the opposite is true. It just wasn't good representation for the series, and I wanted that to improve. While I like Chrom fine, and while I really wanted Awakening to get a representative, I knew that he would just be, frankly, another blue-haired swordsman. Even if he was unique from Marth and Ike, he would represent nothing from Fire Emblem that Marth and Ike didn't. That's why I've supported Robin for so long. Robin could do what Chrom could not, and represent a little more of the diversity that Fire Emblem has to offer, as well as serve as a representative of Awakening. With such an ideal choice like that, I could never see the appeal in having Chrom in instead.

So basically, I was against Chrom because I believed he would not be a good representative of the Fire Emblem series, because he would offer little that was not already done by the other Fire Emblem characters, and because there was a much more ideal choice available. With all that considered, I thought Chrom shouldn't be on the roster; he's just not the best choice.
that's just a stupid reasoning if you ask me.

smash Bros should be about the most important and iconic aspects of the franchises. it's like wanting Toon Link to use the Deku Leaf instead of the Bombs.

Magic is nice, but if the main characters of Fe don't use magic, there is no need for that in smash bros. Alas, sakurai thinks differently (see him adding the so-very important Rosalina instead of more iconic people)

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
that's just a stupid reasoning if you ask me.

smash Bros should be about the most important and iconic aspects of the franchises. it's like wanting Toon Link to use the Deku Leaf instead of the Bombs.

Magic is nice, but if the main characters of Fe don't use magic, there is no need for that in smash bros.
It's fine if you think that's stupid reasoning. But keep in mind that it's the reasoning a number of people, Sakurai included, share. Magic is an important and iconic aspect of the Fire Emblem series, and one of the main characters of Awakening happened to use it, and could utilize it for a totally unique move set and play style. To use Sakurai's words, "it was perfect."

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
It's fine if you think that's stupid reasoning. But keep in mind that it's the reasoning a number of people, Sakurai included, share. Magic is an important and iconic aspect of the Fire Emblem series, and one of the main characters of Awakening happened to use it, and could utilize it for a totally unique move set and play style. To use Sakurai's words, "it was perfect."
i agree that Magic is important and iconic by itself, but the fact is that no magic user in the series was the main character. Micaiah's role was hijacked by Gan-- i mean, Ike, and i already (i think) explained to you why Chrom > Robin in overall importance.

and thus, as important or iconic that it might be, it wasn't fit to be in smash bros stand-alone.

toobladooblasdfghtkdjdhfngj

Banned via Warnings
Nosferatu was a single move in a diverse moveset. That's not a huge stretch at all. Especially considering Robin's backstory.
Also, it's not even the first time "canon" has been pushed aside for a second for the sake of expanding a moveset. Zelda, Ness, Lucas, Mega Man, and Palutena come to mind in that regard.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
i agree that Magic is important and iconic by itself, but the fact is that no magic user in the series was the main character. Micaiah's role was hijacked by Gan-- i mean, Ike, and i already (i think) explained to you why Chrom > Robin in overall importance.

and thus, as important or iconic that it might be, it wasn't fit to be in smash bros stand-alone.
Um... Well, you said you felt Chrom was more important than Robin. I don't think that counts as an explanation.

Personally, I would say Robin is just as important, if not more important, than Chrom. He/She's the character you see before any other, is the character you see the world through (and as a representation for the player, every move made in the game is essentially Robin's actions), constantly drives the plot of the game with his/her strategies and actions, and ultimately becomes a major focus as the story progresses (due to essentially being the cause of most of the games events), which eventually leads to a climatic final battle that is entirely centered around Robin (Robin is also kind of the final boss of the game). At the very least, Robin is a main character of Awakening, and thus is a suitable candidate to represent Awakening in Smash.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Um... Well, you said you felt Chrom was more important than Robin. I don't think that counts as an explanation.

Personally, I would say Robin is just as important, if not more important, than Chrom. He/She's the character you see before any other, is the character you see the world through (and as a representation for the player, every move made in the game is essentially Robin's actions), constantly drives the plot of the game with his/her strategies and actions, and ultimately becomes a major focus as the story progresses (due to essentially being the cause of most of the games events), which eventually leads to a climatic final battle that is entirely centered around Robin (Robin is also kind of the final boss of the game). At the very least, Robin is a main character of Awakening, and thus is a suitable candidate to represent Awakening in Smash.
i think we argued on this before, if you don't remember fine.

you say Robin drives the plot with his strategy, but so does Chrom with the fact that he leads the army and represents Ylisse, which includes things like getting an alliance with Ferox, representing Ylisse during the Valm war and the 2 encounters with Validar; things that is a bigger direct focus than Robin's strategies (which are events that only majorly impact one chapter whenever they pop up, which happens about 4 times)

Both Chrom and Robin are focused on during the ordeal with Grima, or do you forget the anti--penultimate chapter was focused on chrom and how he got a weapon solely to deal with the final battle?

but that's just plot.

Compare robin and Chrom to other FE leads. There is too many things that Chrom has in common with most of them that robin doesn't, like...

1- Has a character-specific weapon (ignoring DLC/Spotpass!Marths being able to use the 3 falchions, here)
2- Is Plot-wise, relevant through the whole story (Robin is out of focus in the later part of the gangrel arc... and the Valm arc was very off-center, so there isn't much value in saying this, but he wasn't directly important after C13 til the Grima arc)
3- Is the character you control in the map
4- Is the leader of the group the heroes fight with
5- Is a lord
6- Is required on every single main battle
7- Has access to an anti-infantry/cavalry weapon
8- Gets an upgrade later in the game (OK, it was supposed to be a new weapon...)

Robin's only true "one-up" over Chrom is having a multitude of character themes, and that's not considering Chrom (like Ike) might have a battlefield theme as his own; and they both break the rule of having unique classes (though Lord is less accessible than Tactician)... meanwhile, Chrom was the central figure of awakening's advertisements and stuff (mainly to make him clash with MArth) and his skillset and pairing are given more importance than robin's (Chrom's unique inheritance setup, which can end with chrom having an exclusive skill, and forced marriage)

The game only turns it's focus on robin at the very beginning and the very end, which is not how any plot handles it's main character. Direct focus, as saying "Robin makes strategies" would clash with 'chrom leads the team"

Food for thought: Sakurai actually considered Chrom. If Robin was undoubtedly the MC, he wouldn't even have thought of Chrom.

I understand sakurai's reasoning, and it's a pity he thinks like that. it's jus tnot how someone shold direct a game about nintendo's all stars

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I honestly don't care if Chrom makes it post-release or not, but a thought has been bubbling in my mind for some time now.

I can't get over just how good of a clue it was for Mr. Mercer to comment to fans, "I wonder what Chrom's final smash would be like?" I don't think any of us guessed it based on that alone. Heck, I fully expected the goofy "proposal final smash" idea and expected Chrom to join Ike and Marth.

Even so, I just can't get over how the VA spelled it out for us and yet no one saw it coming :p

much words
I fully support Sakurai's decision. I've played Awakening enough to agree that Robin has more to offer the gameplay of Smash 4. Whether Robin is the main character or not; whether Chrom is a better character or not, the way things turned out are fine. And I'm far from a Chrom hater.

Now, how the dis-confirmation happened was definitely inelegant. I think most people agree on that. I suppose you can thank the company anima for that, since they most likely are in charge of everything but the storyboard. Heck, they may have even drafted that, who knows.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
i think we argued on this before, if you don't remember fine.

you say Robin drives the plot with his strategy, but so does Chrom with the fact that he leads the army and represents Ylisse, which includes things like getting an alliance with Ferox, representing Ylisse during the Valm war and the 2 encounters with Validar; things that is a bigger direct focus than Robin's strategies (which are events that only majorly impact one chapter whenever they pop up, which happens about 4 times)

Both Chrom and Robin are focused on during the ordeal with Grima, or do you forget the anti--penultimate chapter was focused on chrom and how he got a weapon solely to deal with the final battle?

but that's just plot.

Compare robin and Chrom to other FE leads. There is too many things that Chrom has in common with most of them that robin doesn't, like...

1- Has a character-specific weapon (ignoring DLC/Spotpass!Marths being able to use the 3 falchions, here)
2- Is Plot-wise, relevant through the whole story (Robin is out of focus in the later part of the gangrel arc... and the Valm arc was very off-center, so there isn't much value in saying this, but he wasn't directly important after C13 til the Grima arc)
3- Is the character you control in the map
4- Is the leader of the group the heroes fight with
5- Is a lord
6- Is required on every single main battle
7- Has access to an anti-infantry/cavalry weapon
8- Gets an upgrade later in the game (OK, it was supposed to be a new weapon...)

Robin's only true "one-up" over Chrom is having a multitude of character themes, and that's not considering Chrom (like Ike) might have a battlefield theme as his own; and they both break the rule of having unique classes (though Lord is less accessible than Tactician)... meanwhile, Chrom was the central figure of awakening's advertisements and stuff (mainly to make him clash with MArth) and his skillset and pairing are given more importance than robin's (Chrom's unique inheritance setup, which can end with chrom having an exclusive skill, and forced marriage)

The game only turns it's focus on robin at the very beginning and the very end, which is not how any plot handles it's main character. Direct focus, as saying "Robin makes strategies" would clash with 'chrom leads the team"

Food for thought: Sakurai actually considered Chrom. If Robin was undoubtedly the MC, he wouldn't even have thought of Chrom.

I understand sakurai's reasoning, and it's a pity he thinks like that. it's jus tnot how someone shold direct a game about nintendo's all stars
Does it really matter how similar Chrom is to other Fire Emblem leads? I mean, being a lord doesn't automatically make you the main character. Also, I would say that the actual final battle is a little more important than what happens shortly prior to the final battle.

One thing I don't think you understand is that I'm not saying that Chrom isn't important. He is, and he's definitely a main character of Awakening. But in reality, there are two main characters of Awakening; Chrom and Robin. Either one would have worked as an Awakening representative in Smash, which (food for thought) is why Sakurai considered both. If Robin wasn't a main character, Sakurai wouldn't have considered him/her. But since Robin is a main character in the game (alongside Chrom), Sakurai considered both for Smash, and he eventually decided on Robin due to being more unique and better representing Fire Emblem as a whole. It's not like Sakurai added in a minor character like Tharja into the game; he added a character central to the game.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
When does Greninja ever form water swords?
...uh, Night Slash?

I'm sorry I thought we're talking about Fire Emblem reps and let's stick with that please since none of the FE reps pull out a long lance from thin air.
I wonder where that Pink Blob keeps his hammer and cutter blade? Probably in the same place where Dedede keeps those Gordos.

I'm just waiting for the moment when Ike pulls that Hand Axe out of his ass.

Huge? Self healing and doing a jumpy spinny thing is not very huge at all, and if we did get a lance user, it would be Bandana Dee.
So, a fighter in Smash is not allowed to wield the same weapon? Maybe we should give King Dedede the Pink Slip. We already have the Ice Climbers, Popo & Nana, to fill the Hammer motif/niche.

Just putting in my thoughts, that's all.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
...uh, Night Slash?

I wonder where that Pink Blob keeps his hammer and cutter blade? Probably in the same place where Dedede keeps those Gordos.

I'm just waiting for the moment when Ike pulls that Hand Axe out of his ***.

So, a fighter in Smash is not allowed to wield the same weapon? Maybe we should give King Dedede the Pink Slip. We already have the Ice Climbers, Popo & Nana, to fill the Hammer motif/niche.

Night slash doesn't form a sword in game; but other than that I see your points

Edit: is it just me or do detractors love this thread? We've had great discussions here, but it's clear no one is changing their minds. Im all for discussions, but it's going round in circles...

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
...uh, Night Slash?

I'm just waiting for the moment when Ike pulls that Hand Axe out of his ***.

Yes thank you, you explained all of that perfectly.

EDIT: Is it possible we could get a thinner version of the banner? It's a bit of a pain that we can't really fit anything else in our signature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom