• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone maining Olimar still?

the656

Smash Journeyman
I been maining Olimar its hard to find a person doing good combos with him in videos. We can all discuss combos and recovery techniques

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Lol, well then you're in the right section if you're searching for Olimar mainers. ; )

If you're looking for some combos then I recommend any of the following: NC-Echo, AaronS, TextbookNinja, DSF, AmcD, Romo, Kira...yeah...off the top of my head, they're all that come to mind. Please let me know if I've missed/repeated anyone.

What specifically did you wana talk about regarding Olimar that can't be discussed in the hundreds of other threads about him? ;3

FloatingLuigi

Smash Rookie
samage =damage

The basic Olimar combo that works on almost everyone is latch, D-Throw, U-smash, Short hop to a U-air. I can rack up to 40-50 damage with this alone, starting from 0.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I been maining Olimar its hard to find a person doing good combos with him in videos. We can all discuss combos and recovery techniques
Give us about a week, and look for vids of my brother Adat then. :)

*EDIT* There are vids up now. :) We'll have more soon.

David Mathis

Smash Cadet
i main olimar :D:D:D he is awesome. i went from maining fox in smash64, and melee, to olimar, so its a rather big change. but i like it. hes unpredictable. if you manage to throw like 3-4 pikmin on the enemy, it racks up to like 40 damage within seconds. so throw pikmin for a whil get about 80 damahe U smash. and meteor their ***.

olimar is great :)

anyone want to play me, add my msn, david_mathis_2@hotmail.com

im in north carolina.. and il be playing today at about 4

the656

Smash Journeyman
after much thinking I notice I have a harder time with the more floaty characters and some with larger hitboxs (ZSS, MK) What do you guys against characters like jigglypuff and peach?
I just wait til they go on the ground but that takes a long time

COLDshiver

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to get used to Olimar. Love him, still getting used to his cool attacks and learning how to choose the right pikmin.

S2

Smash Lord
I'm getting very good with him. Winning a lot of online matches with him. It seems like the Olimar players you see tend to be good, because players who dont' use him tend to stay away.

I won my local GS tourney with him (not that that matters).

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen, Olimar doesn't have any good combos that can't be avoided by DI, but then, that goes for most Brawlers. My game with him is more about racking up damage via edgeguarding and ranged methods before going for a quick KO.

Evi1d33d

Smash Rookie
What kept me maining olimar is that people I know keep saying olimar sucks. I want to get really good at him and then just complete own their arses.

Anybody have tips for edge guarding with olimar? 1 out of 5 times I would hit someone and the rest of the time I'll just fall to my doom. Everytime I tried to pursue my enemy off the edge I end up killing myself because of his poor recovery.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Well, for starters don't over pursue off the stage, learn your jumps and UpB well before thinking of much ledge guarding. Easiest way to start is by learning spacing from the ledge, let the grab it, but make it hella hard for them to get back up, by making them either eat an FSmash standing up, an UpB if they are hovering above the ledge ish, or and USmash if they just single jump trying to get past you. Easiest option is to double jump, but you can find ways to make that an advantage too. In short try this, not just in ledge guarding but your entire game, ledge is just an easy place to show it. Put yourself in a position where you can counter many of their options, leaving them with few. Once you've mastered that, you know what options the opponent has, and you can start doing things to stop those as well. The less options your opponent has, the better chance of you guessing what hes gonna do. The more you know what your opponent is gonna do ahead of time, the better you'll be able to take advantage of it, and the better you'll do. As for off stage guarding, first get efficient at edge hogging, its not nearly as easy as it was in SSBM, and takes some work. As for Off Stage Aerials theres only 3 options i really see as useful so far. From the stage, you can FAir or DAir depending on where your opponent is recovering, as long as they are above the stage height and not too far feel free to cautiously try. Spiking an opponent recovering this way is incredible, you'll learn to love it, but you can't do it all the time or you will get countered/killed. Third and most interesting at the moment is from the ledge, press away (you'll fall from the ledge) and BAir or Jump -> BAir. Theres potential there, but haven't really figured it out yet. Hope this helps, its a lot to start with, honestly Olimar's game will never be as much off the stage as other characters will, just part of who he is.

-True

rofl_jack

Smash Rookie
I had the lowest expectations for Olimar.

But now, seeing how I'm an olimar mainer, is kind of funny.

Smash your MoM

Smash Ace
im satyin olimar all the way.....when ever they make a tier list and if olimar is the lowest im stickin wit him all the way.....the only down side of olimar is that he needs his pikmen to have a chance.....so there is a point in time he cant even defend him self....but imma look 4 new ways how to fight witout the pikmen jus so i can defend msel until i can pull up some more piks.

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
Olimar is a lot of fun. I've known that I wanted to main him since he was revealed on the Dojo. As far as combos go, something like the "Textbook" combo seems to be our best bet so far. Chaining Fairs into other attacks or grabs at low damage is extremely effective especially when you can latch a Pikmin before doing so so that the full damage is applied.

Even though people are saying he's one of the best in the game, I'm pretty sure people just haven't learned how to combat him yet. That said, I'm not uncomfortable playing him even if he ends up being "too good" or "overused" because I love the character and have wanted to play him since the day he was revealed. That was back when we didn't even know how long the Pikmin pluck animation was. xD

Fautor Animus

Smash Cadet
I really liked that comic, and I third Trues comment. Combos aren't things people should be focusing on with Olimar, as mentioned earlier, you can DI out them quite easily. His U-tilt is really good from my experience
Really good for pushing people across stages, and then, wham! F-throw to death. bwahaha. People should throw as him more. Spamming his throw is a good way to tick people off.

dmauro

Smash Cadet
True, edge hogging with Olimar is very easy, if you run at the edge, you can up b just as you get to the end (you can start it before you're even off the edge) and you will latch on. If you immediately tap up after this then you're on the edge with invincibility frames.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
True, edge hogging with Olimar is very easy, if you run at the edge, you can up b just as you get to the end (you can start it before you're even off the edge) and you will latch on. If you immediately tap up after this then you're on the edge with invincibility frames.
True, but the timing for that tactic requires quite a bit of practice, and ledge grabbing invincibility frames in Brawl were nerfed so the benefits are limited. I think my favorite application is that the upB just before it forces opponents to recover low, from which point you can either drop off Bair or ledgehop Bair edgeguard.

Top Bottom