• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone in the Rockford, IL area?

CowboyFromHell

Smash Apprentice
I have a total of like 3 people maybe in the area who I can play with on a semi-regular basis. It makes for continuing to suck at the game(s) and whatnot. Not to mention I would just like to get into the Midwest community more. I saw a similar post to this back from November or something, but it was about some dude on a visit. Also I didn't see a just Illinois thread that didn't revolve around Power Rankings. So I'll introduce myself here instead. I'm a pretty permanent resident here and would like to find others to Smash with obviously. Hit me up bros!

CowboyFromHell

Smash Apprentice
That stinks. There doesn't seem to be a ton of people over here that play. I find myself over there for the occasional tourney, but it's rough driving an hour just to play for an hour or two.

mar.rio

Smash Rookie
That stinks. There doesn't seem to be a ton of people over here that play. I find myself over there for the occasional tourney, but it's rough driving an hour just to play for an hour or two.
Yeah I hear ya :/

We can always play online though if you're down for some project M just hit me up I wanna get some practice with someone other than my 8 year old nephew and 2 lvl 9 cpus teaming vs me

CowboyFromHell

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I hear ya :/

We can always play online though if you're down for some project M just hit me up I wanna get some practice with someone other than my 8 year old nephew and 2 lvl 9 cpus teaming vs me
I actually haven't played Project M yet because I'm an idiot and couldn't figure out how to download it.
I livei n Janesville WI that's about 30-45 minutes away though... you should go to IMDB 8 in madison, I guarrenty there will be brawl there
Janesville is totally close enough for me to drive to for some Smash Bros. I used to go to school in Madison and I would go to a tourney up there for sure if given enough notice. Tournies are sweet but practicing for them is hard when noone you know plays at all haha

Not really for brawl. for melee there's lots, but brawl in this area is brawl in this area...if i were to guess the turnout it would be enough to run an 8 man bracket probly more than that...depending if chicago and MN brawl show up

CowboyFromHell

Smash Apprentice
Not really for brawl. for melee there's lots, but brawl in this area is brawl in this area...if i were to guess the turnout it would be enough to run an 8 man bracket probly more than that...depending if chicago and MN brawl show up
I'm probably better at Brawl nowadays than Melee, but I play all three of the Smashes even though I'm bad haha. It's all about the good time though. Meeting some of those pros who can boost my game is always sweet.

mar.rio

Smash Rookie
I actually haven't played Project M yet because I'm an idiot and couldn't figure out how to download it.

Janesville is totally close enough for me to drive to for some Smash Bros. I used to go to school in Madison and I would go to a tourney up there for sure if given enough notice. Tournies are sweet but practicing for them is hard when noone you know plays at all haha
Haha I had the same problem but the PMBR has a sweet easy download helper that basically does it for you so you should check it out.

I know practicing is difficult alone. You can only do so much field work with CPUs after having to test out your game with pros :/ online play is tricky too, you cant l cancel or for me float cancel with the same consistency as playing live :/

CowboyFromHell

Smash Apprentice
Haha I had the same problem but the PMBR has a sweet easy download helper that basically does it for you so you should check it out.

I know practicing is difficult alone. You can only do so much field work with CPUs after having to test out your game with pros :/ online play is tricky too, you cant l cancel or for me float cancel with the same consistency as playing live :/
I'll have to check that out when I have a chance. I tried playing online last night and the lag was awful. It also doesn't help that I'm bumming internet from a neighbor. Also for some reason I got stuck up against 3 kirbys who wrecked me and only me. Which was hilariously frustrating.

ORLY

Smash Master
i'm in mchenry, which is like an hour drive? it's not ideal, but it could be a lot worse

lemme know if you're interested in playing sometime

CowboyFromHell

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah that's not too bad. I'd be game one of these days when I get some time off. I know a few people who make regular trips to McHenry, so it can't be that bad.

lil T

Smash Journeyman
I live in Freeport IL. which is like an hour away from Rockford. I've been wanting to find other people to play smash with myself...Altho i mostly Play Melee/Project M... the people i play with is getting tried of losing so i dont really play much anymore >.>

CowboyFromHell

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah that's not too far at all. That's a doable trip for like a day off work or something like that. I've never played Project M just because I'm too stupid to download it haha. But I'd love to play it sometime.

jOmOmbO

Smash Rookie
NNID
jOmOmbO
I have a total of like 3 people maybe in the area who I can play with on a semi-regular basis. It makes for continuing to suck at the game(s) and whatnot. Not to mention I would just like to get into the Midwest community more. I saw a similar post to this back from November or something, but it was about some dude on a visit. Also I didn't see a just Illinois thread that didn't revolve around Power Rankings. So I'll introduce myself here instead. I'm a pretty permanent resident here and would like to find others to Smash with obviously. Hit me up bros!
Hey dude, I am from Elgin IL. I am the next town over, about 30 minutes or so from Rockford I believe. I love to play all the smash games, I would be interested in joining your little circle if you want.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American

Shyn

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm in Rockford I'm friends with JMan8891 (post above me) I'm Shyn in those videos. I'm down to play some melee, I've gotta learn how to play other people and other characters

jOmOmbO

Smash Rookie
NNID
jOmOmbO
I made that post back in November. Rockford is my hometown.

https://www.facebook.com/malik.kilgore?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/mast3rball3r?fref=ts

To my knowledge, these are your most active players from Rockford (FYI i will be back in November, before I leave for Japan on military orders)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lFgtZJfWCw, Vids of me (****), Malik (BDAD) and Mark (SHYN) playing friendlies while tossing a few back.
I have to say I am very impressed how good you two are, WITHOUT wavedashing, its nice to see. I would love to spare again on that level, rather rusty though. =( We should definitely make arrangements. Nice to meet you Shyn and JMan.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
There is wave dashing and wave landing all over that vid, both falcos wavedash out of shine as well. But yeah, please hit up Shyn to get some practice in. See you in November ;)

jOmOmbO

Smash Rookie
NNID
jOmOmbO
This is fun to watch! I wonder how fast I can get back to this level. I can't wait to spar with you. Let me know when you want to play. GO CPT. FALCON! =D

jOmOmbO

Smash Rookie
NNID
jOmOmbO
Maybe we'll head out to Elgin in a couple weeks if you can have us over to play
Unfortunately my mom would not allow that, we have a dying grandmother I am helping take care of, she doesn't want strangers around. I would be willing to drive to Rockford though, if that's cool?

Ronnoc

Smash Rookie
This might be a pretty big GD, but I'm from Rockford, although I currently live in Florida. I have some friends that play a lot of PM, and I'll be in Rockford around June 17th if you maybe wanted to meet up and play sometime while I was there, it would be nice to get some practice in since I haven't played versus a person in over a month. Message me here and maybe we can work something out. My FB is https://www.facebook.com/connor.zuba?ref=tn_tnmn as well.

Shyn

Smash Rookie
I don't check this nearly enough, sorry I missed that. Um, I still would like to play some other players. I might have to try to look around the Chicago area. I may be able to have a few people over to play too over a weekend. But I live with roommates so I'd have to talk to them and see what they think about sleeping arrangements and things

Taga

Smash Rookie
Im in the Chi if you're ever around. Same problem over here, not much of a "community" but I've got a couple friends down with the Smashscene.

Taga

Smash Rookie
I don't check this nearly enough, sorry I missed that. Um, I still would like to play some other players. I might have to try to look around the Chicago area. I may be able to have a few people over to play too over a weekend. But I live with roommates so I'd have to talk to them and see what they think about sleeping arrangements and things
Hit me up! Im in Chicago and am always looking for a good match! (holy crap this site is great...)

Roie

Smash Cadet
Any melee players? After evo2013 I was inspired to get into melee again. Anyone wanna organize some times to get together and play?

Shyn

Smash Rookie
Any melee players? After evo2013 I was inspired to get into melee again. Anyone wanna organize some times to get together and play?
I found a tournament in Oak Park on the 27th. I've been seeing something about weekly things called wavedash wednesday, trying to find more information about it...I dunno if it's at the same place or not. I wanna find some people more local to play with regularly though.

http://smashboards.com/threads/exposure-world-war-m-july-27th-2013-oak-park-il.338100/

TheRickRoller

Smash Rookie
To those of you that live in Rockford (and the one who lives in Freeport):

I too have been hoping to find someone from around this area! I am actually about 20 minutes away from Rockford and Freeport (different directions) . I don't suppose you've heard of Winnebago? I hail from that little town, at least when I'm not away at school in the Windy City. I prefer Melee, but if you want a very easy challenge, I wouldn't refuse Brawl or 64. :p

Can't say I'm a Smash master, as I've yet to have a tournament at all on my resume, but hey, I love me some Melee!

Top Bottom