• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone here really good at the "Dthrow-Fair -> Dair spike" combo?

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble with it, or at least getting it to hit more than once. I can do the first dthrow to the fair, but I can never seem to link it up to the next grab and dthrow...

Any tips?

:(

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
It's not really anything that works consistently, it's just a matter of catching your opponent when they are vulnerable or tricking them into dodging and then doing it when they come out of the animation or something.

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
Of course, the effectiveness of this combo diminishes as your opponent`s damage increases.

You should have a better chance in succeeding against heavier characters of some sort.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
The trick is to land as fast as possible, so you can grab again. If you send out a Pikmin to grab, and your opponent is in the air and LANDS on the Pikmin, you will successfully grab your opponent. So, you don't need to wait for your opponent to be on the ground again, and then grab. Fast fall by pressing down on your left stick after your forward-air, then grab immediately, even if your opponent is still in the air a bit.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
it's a good combo u can use at low percents, but depending on your opponent, i can be avoided pretty easily. Wut Gaz said about grabbing once you're on the ground is good advice.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
The trick is to land as fast as possible, so you can grab again. If you send out a Pikmin to grab, and your opponent is in the air and LANDS on the Pikmin, you will successfully grab your opponent. So, you don't need to wait for your opponent to be on the ground again, and then grab. Fast fall by pressing down on your left stick after your forward-air, then grab immediately, even if your opponent is still in the air a bit.
Gaz is ABSOLUTELY correct on this one - you want to do the next grab before your opponent hits the ground - if you hit the ground and dont grab immediately or he hits before you, you won't get the combo.

There are easier option - I prefer the dthrow, fair, dtilt, fair combo for a 40-45 percent option.

shanus

Smash Hero
finishing wihth a dair is pretty rare to pull off if your opponents know how to DI / air dodge correctly. Pulling it off consistently won't happen unless you trick them. I have quite a few vids of me doing some saved which i plan to use at some point....

templar rage

Smash Cadet
Practice it. While reading tips about how to do it is good, we can't tell your fingers to do it. You actually have to practice it until you get the timing down. Once you do, it becomes second nature and you can work on another combo.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
The textbook combo I think your referring to was actually proven to be pretty inconsistent long before the game was even released in the US. As mentioned above its very variable on opponent DI and damage. So while a consistent combo is great, its better to learn a bunch of different throw combos to keep you opponent guessing the best you can. Maybe FThrow to USmash, or rather than DAir a FSmash, DTilt or even Olimar's dash attack (its a pretty good option if you can catch an opponent right as they are landing I've found). All these have different strengths, require different responses, and lead in different directions. Just try different things rather than wondering why you weren't quite able to do the same thing as always. Find your own option even, nothing could be more unexpected than something you find effective yourself =)

-True

Bodknocks

Smash Rookie
NNID
austonwithano
Don't worry about Dair, just get Dthrow-Fair down to a fine art and then Dair whenever the opportunity arises which is, quite frankly, not very often.

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
if your worried about spiking, just get your opponent off the edge, then if they happen to be right above the edge and you time it correctly, you can spiked them along the side of the stage (looks awesome in my oppinion) but the thing is is that certain character are unspikable in my opinion, are Ike, and metaknight, since both B recovery attacks are impossible to pass through with ike, and meta can just fight you off the stage which is something you dont want to do with oli. Gannondorf can be dangerous, but his side b doesnt do much against spiking, so you can try it, just know your height when your spiking him, and make sure to use a yellow when doing so.

peeup

Smash Lord
So wait, Gaz says you can do it, True says you can't... 2 great Olimar players say different things, who's right?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
So wait, Gaz says you can do it, True says you can't... 2 great Olimar players say different things, who's right?
Gaz says that it can be done w/ a lot of practice, and True says that it can be done with your opponent DIing a certain way and it's very inconsistent. That's all. They don't contradict each other, yet i get the impression that Gaz thinks it can be mastered? My bad if not.

Edit: hey zelazon, i noticed u mention spiking w/ yellows. Is that an agreed method to do it with? I tend to have an easier time w/ reds.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Haha nah not really different things, Gaz properly explains how to best attempt the combo so to make the window of opportunity as small as possible for your opponent. My post is to remind that its not perfect, and no matter how perfectly you execute it if you do it all the time opponents will figure out how to get out of it. Perfect execution of varying different stringed attacks (since they aren't true combos) is the only best bet at getting as much out of your opportunities as possible. Nothing ground shaking really, this is true for every part of the game =P

@DanGR yup think you have it right, and posted between my starting and finishing my post =P As for spiking all pikmin colors can do it, but with varying effectiveness. The only real right way to do it depends on where you connect with the attack, making it a spike rather than the less intuitive horizontal knock back it has sometimes. However the color of pikmin will affect how long your opponent is stunned before possibly trying to recover.

-True

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
ummmmmmmmm, u said that all pikmin can spike.......................i thought that the white pikmin can't spike, or at least not with my trials

Florida

イーグランツ
This isn't one of the better combos that Olimar has to offer. There's not many situations in that it can actually be used, and even so, your opponent has a lot of options to get out of it (DI, jump, airdodge, attack, fast fall, etc.). Although that it's a tricky combo to perform, I'm able to pull-it-off every now-and-then.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t-q4Wy_08hU
(last stock, 02:13 - 02:29)

Olimar's "Ken Combo" shouldn't be something that you force out regularly. There are so many other combos and methods for kills that are much better than this. For damage, try the uthrow -> uair (-> uair) -> up-b. For killing, you could always just use smash attacks and such. And don't forget the Textbook Combo, which is actually easy and effective (I use miniature versions of the Textbook Combo all the time).

Hope this helped.

keeper

Smash Champion
The only problem I see with the Olimar Ken Combo is that it really depends on which pikmin you have and how your opponent DIs (when using the grab).

Fun stuff though.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
After seeing Olimar Ken Combo and seeing egruntz display of awesomeness linked i felt obligated to put this one up there while it was on topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhdCQVHhPpo#GU5U2spHI_4

As keeper said though it is very dependent on DI etc, wish i knew what this guy was (or really wasn't) doing when I pulled that off, was actually a wifi match I had 2 days after getting the game back when I still bothered with game battles. Never again have I pulled off anything comparable to this, mostly because I've dropped a lot of my marth habits and developed Olimar play style, but I won't deny this is probably one of the coolest looking things i've ever done in Brawl.

To Pyronic Star though yes even white spike, simply is not incredibly strong. There is enough downward knock back and hit stun to effectively spike at somewhat higher percents than the other 4. No surpise as each color's DAir spikes more or less efficiently based on %.

-True

shanus

Smash Hero
requires your opponent to DI inwards and slightly down on the hit, basically, what you should rarely ever do at low % on hits off the edge... overall when you pull this off, its generally your opponent forgetting to airdodge or DI properly which makes it harder and harder to do as opponents skill level increases...

Same goes for textbook combo, proper DI makes it hard to pull off in general.

The biggest thing is to add variation in your approaches from your dthrow to mix in fairs, nairs, and upsmashes out of a dthrow to really mindgame the opponent to death rather than always aim for a spike.

Top Bottom