• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else use spring launcher as a projectile?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I've been using Sonic lately because my thing was set to random and I got him, and i realised that his spring launcher can be used as a projectile. It can easily gimp the Mother boys' PSI Thunders, and can be used as mindgames near the edge, so they airdodge by the edge.

I've also seen that since you shoot it from above, it can get MK out of his stupid tornado.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Uhh...yeah.
It murders several characters below the stage at reasonable percents, Ness, Ike, the Starfox Crew, Link etc. It can **** IC's recovery if you get it right.
I use it mostly as an escape tactic when there's nothing else I can really do, for example if I'm in a chaingrab or whatever.
The problem with using it as a projectile is that when you land (which you have to) the opponent is just going to camp in the spot he predicts you're going to land and punish your landing. A 4% for them is hardly worth the punishment that follows, depending on what the opponent does.
Basically, only use it when necessary.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I've been using Sonic lately because my thing was set to random and I got him, and i realised that his spring launcher can be used as a projectile. It can easily gimp the Mother boys' PSI Thunders, and can be used as mindgames near the edge, so they airdodge by the edge.

I've also seen that since you shoot it from above, it can get MK out of his stupid tornado.
Oh yes. I occasionally use aerial reverse springs as traps to force and punish roll reactions.

I'm pretty sure most Sonic mains do, too.

The problem is habitually doing D-air out of it, especially when I drop the spring too highand the opponent is grounded - they can just roll to the side that I'm facing, and U-smash the landing point.

Well, congratulations on realizing that Sonic has a projectile `.`;

R4ZE

Smash Ace
if the spring hits the opponent, its usually safe to dair as fast as you can. they usually are in spring hitstun when the dair hits them... the dair delay wont matter because they get knocked away.

StrongGaia

Smash Rookie
I only really use the spring as a projectile to assist in edge guarding. I find it hinders more than helps on the ground, but that could be because I'm a creature of habit and I'm not used to using it.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
You usually dont use only the spring for ledge gaurding, its better to walk/spin/asc off into an aerial, (preferably bair of fair obviously) and then you use up-b, not only to recover but also to drop a spring. basicly what it comes down to is the spin, the aerial, and the spring will all have a chance of hitting the opponent, and possibly even stage spiking. that is 3 easy chances for kills, or knock aways.. .

Spring works best if you use it when an opponent is right under sonic, tends to stage spike more that way.

you can use HA also, but its more risky imo. I have killed people with it a few times tho.

The spring can be used in a lot of situations, I have found that its definately not the spring that kills you, its the coming down. Like tenki says, dont just dair after every up-b.
BUT its important to note that it defeinately is ok to dair after up-b, usually you just have to alter the timing of it a bit. So then people expect immidiate dair, they do their punish on their standard timing, you can dair after that, or you can come back to the stage with a bair. even a ASC or HA if they dont expect it.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Free 4%. I love it.

Everytime it connects, I say, "Concussion."

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
Well all Sonics should be using it as a projectile to some Extent bc thats what it is.....

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
due to laziness of me not posting this in the actual spring thread, here goes.
I like using the spring off the edge to recover (zomg) ...
... after I Dair to side-spike people.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Lol.

I'd have to say the spring is one of the most annoying projectiles to have to go against, which is why I love to spam springbombing.

Its also useful because really, there is no sense in trying to charge a usmash under Sonic. Besides the fact UpB has invincibility frames a the beginning, its a free 4 damage for Sonic.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
please read some other threads before making your own on this topic.
we are aware of what the spring can do.
quite aware..

R4ZE

Smash Ace
actually... i think MOST of the time.... up-b isnt really the best thing to do for recovery, because sonic actually CAN get grab gimped much similar to snake with his up-b.

not only that, throwing in some wall jumps and HA can throw your opponent off.

but naturally somtimes sonic needs to go UP! just saying, i think i endup not using it like 50% of the time.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
It feels good when a Squirtles been consistently knocking you out off the stage just far enough so only he can make it back, and then when that nuetral b is pressed, and it spikes them off the ledge they are hanging off for a kill. Thats what i live for lolz.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
actually... i think MOST of the time.... up-b isnt really the best thing to do for recovery, because sonic actually CAN get grab gimped much similar to snake with his up-b.

not only that, throwing in some wall jumps and HA can throw your opponent off.

but naturally somtimes sonic needs to go UP! just saying, i think i endup not using it like 50% of the time.
I agree with this. I've been grabbed gimped before, most recently by Tenki lol, and I mean common, this is brawl here, where DI alone is usually enough to make you recover. Add in Homing attack and SideB and half the time you need to recovering you shant need UpB. If I use upB to recover, I try to do it so that either I pass the ledge with invincibility frames, airdodge and hug the ledge if I'm too low, or just wall jump =P

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i try to only use up-b when im far away. I am pretty sure they can even grab you out of up-b's "no-hutrbox frames".

trouble with neutral bis that if you time it wrong its easy to get punished. definately best recover seems to be side b/ASC.

my recent favorite is to Side-b/ASC a little below the lip, jump cancel into fair, so basicly sonic spins down, and then hits right into the lip witha rising fair. a lot of the time it catches opponents for damage, but even if it doesnt... i think you can time it correctly for no landing delay.

Top Bottom